Type keyword(s) to search

Season 6 Speculation WITH Spoilers (UK)

ichbin

If it won't be Mary, I will be very disappointed that Julian Fellows didn't give Tom a new love interest at least a season ago.

I think if no Tom/Mary was planned, then they just should've had Tom return from America, maybe a little later, ep 5ish, with an American wife.  The audience would have to get to know her along with the Crawleys.  There would be tension with a newbie, in a natural way.  I just don't get why they didn't do that, if we just get now more of Tom, "I need a life of my own, but here at Downton still, oh here's a pretty editor to flirt with so I can have an offscreen romance after the CS."  

I think Tom's character is too important to be treated so afterthoughtish, unless Julian F is screwing with us as is AL with him not really loving his ending??  I don't know, it's just so disappointing if Brary doesn't happen with all the scenes they're sharing.  I mean, what was the point then?  Someone said it, to make us like Henry because Tom does?  Dude, I'm not that easily influenced. 

Edited by sunflower
  • Love 4

I also would find a last minute romance with the editor disappointing. If it won't be Mary, I will be very disappointed that Julian Fellows didn't give Tom a new love interest at least a season ago. 

Who would satisfy you as a love interest? Who could compare in the eyes of the audience to Sybil the Great?

Not everyone has to be paired up to have a satisfying ending to a soap opera. Tom's story has never been about his love life so I don't need to see it emotionally. And honestly, I like the family dynamic Tom has with the rest of the Crawleys. It would be satisfying to me to see him run a business and be the voice of modernity at Downton. Better him than the self-righteous Isobel. 

• Love 5

I wonder if we might get a Mary-Talbot breakup at Edith's wedding and we end the episode with Mary and Tom walking outside Downton in the summer deciding to "spend the next part of [their] lives together". Summer to contrast with Matthew's Christmastime proposal. Then we come to the Christmas Special with Tom and Mary already married. I guess I'm betting that if Brary happens, it does not do so on-screen. We've had Carson-Hughes and will have Edith-Bertie. Wasn't it said there were only two weddings this season?

As of right now I think "Brary" is still in the cards. What they have shown on screen just does not add up to anything else or at least it doesn't add up to Talbot. Especially when every single episode (other than episode 4) since Tom has come back has 4 or more scenes of Tom/Mary and only ever one Mary/Talbot scene.  Talbot may be attractive and nice but relationship material he is not. If Mary was more into Talbot than she is right now I could maybe get behind it, but she's not and she is even wondering why Tom is playing matchmaker (He never did it for Gillingham or Blake). Why, Tom Why? If you like her just tell her already, you have a better chance than Race car Talbot (and it would be giving her a choice), If you don't like her let her find her own man. She is capable enough. (and If you like Talbot just tell Mary she is very pragmatic about those things. ;-) )

As someone else on another board mentioned Allen and Michelle were never very keen on "Brary" in the first place. Allen saying "I'd love to see a different ending for Branson- but I don't get to choose." IMO doesn't sound like he hates where Branson ended up (Although I don't know how he said it exactly since this is in an article) just that He would have gone a different way than Julian Fellowes. Especially since he said he liked his future scenes with Michelle.

ETA: I understand why Tom won't/wouldn't tell Mary. I am just tired of the ambiguous Mary/Talbot/Tom triangle. Julian Fellowes just put me out of my misery or make my dreams come true but stop the torture.

Edited by RedWolf
  • Love 1

I think the torture might end next Sunday when the editor turns up. If Tom is interested in her, I think everything will go as predicted in the first place. Mary will break up with Henry Talbot in Episode 7, be a bitch in Episode 8 and destroy Edith's relationship with Bertie by telling him about Marigold, then reconcile with Talbot (who will of course sacrifice is life and give up cars and car racings, because you know Mary is worth it) and marry him without further ado at the end of  Episode 8 (probably with a time jump) while Edith will be crying in her tea and we will all hate Mary and Fellows.

Tom will marry the editor in the hiatus, because we never see anything happen for him. In the CS Edith will reconcile with Bertie and have her big, wonderful fairy tale ending and Tom and Henry will build their car business together at Downton. 

The other scenario would be that Mary breaks up with Henry in 7, finds out she's in love with Tom in 8 (without telling him of course), has the major row with Edith, but Bertie won't let Edith down and will tell Mary to stuff it. Then Edith will have her wedding at the end of the episode, while Talbot comes crawling back, ready to give up everything for Mary (because we know she's worth it) and Mary is torn. In CS it would be about who's going to win Lady Mary's heart and in the end Brary wins.

A girl can dream, right?

Tom's story has never been about his love life so I don't need to see it emotionally.

For me Tom's story has been all about his love life, from the very beginning. About what was it in your opinion?  

Season 1 and 2 were all about him and Sybil and then in season 3 the first thing we heard was "Maybe someday you'll find someone to bear it with you.". In season 4 we had Isobel and Tom talking about him not being able to make a life at Downton, because he couldn't bring a woman of his class to the Abbey. In Season 5, you're right. He had no storyline at all, neither romantic nor otherwise.

Do we know how long the CS is? Do you think it will be just as long as last year, even though episode 8 is one and a half hours long? I hope it is. 

I want Mary to confront Edith privately about Marigold and then advise her to tell Bertie the truth rather than have her (accidentally or not) blurt out her suspicions in front of Bertie. But it probably won't happen how I want it to. 

• Love 3

The CS is 2 hours like always, I think.

Actually I've come to the conclusion that it must be Edith's wedding in Episode 8 (what a relief!).

The open carriage speaks for a high profile wedding and it fits with a summer wedding, but not with a winter wedding. Edith will have the high profile wedding, there's no doubt, because she will marry a Marquis. 

The Paparazzo fits with a high profile wedding. 

Lady Shackleton and Henry Talbot could be just there for the wedding (that would be cool. Goodbye, Henry, heee).

So I think we won't have Edith in tears over the hiatus, which is really nice, because I would have such a bad conscience if I still liked Mary after being such a bitch and destroying Edith's happiness! If Edith will be happy at the end of Episode 8, I will forgive Mary and don't feel bad about it.

BTW I remember something important! When asked after filming his last scene Hugh said that his last scene was with Michelle Dockery and Allen Leech. He later changed that story at the official press release and only mentioned Michelle (because it wasn't official that Allen was going to be back), but I definitely heard him say that his last scene was with Michelle and Allen.

NOW, I think... maybe Robert does die after all in the CS?! There is still the matter of that funeral they filmed and wouldn't it be a very touching scene, if he kind of handed over Downton to Mary and Tom. Sniff... I get teary eyed even THINKING about it!

I want Mary to confront Edith privately about Marigold and then advise her to tell Bertie the truth rather than have her (accidentally or not) blurt out her suspicions in front of Bertie. But it probably won't happen how I want it to. 

Unfortunately we know that there will be a bad fight. I don't want to see it, but it was mentioned. 

Actually Mary has it coming, so if Bertie will be the one to tell her to hold her mouth for a change, it is not undeserved. But I do hope they can still all live in peace after the air is cleared. They will both own big estates after all and face the same problems, so I would like a future where they could exchange tips and talk about what options they have etc. 

Edited by Andorra
  • Love 1

For me Tom's story has been all about his love life, from the very beginning. About what was it in your opinion?  

Season 1 and 2 were all about him and Sybil and then in season 3 the first thing we heard was "Maybe someday you'll find someone to bear it with you.". In season 4 we had Isobel and Tom talking about him not being able to make a life at Downton, because he couldn't bring a woman of his class to the Abbey. In Season 5, you're right. He had no storyline at all, neither romantic nor otherwise.

Tom started out as a foil for Sybil, not a character in his own right. His story was about being a revolutionary, being Irish, and being against everything Downton stood for, while falling in love with the rebel daughter who shared his views. While Sybil was on the show, Tom was fully an extension of her. After Jessica Brown Findlay decided to leave the show, they rewrote him to make him like a brother to Mary and Edith, so they (mostly Mary) could have someone to talk to. And his other storylines were about not fitting in at Downton and not being sure who he was. Whether it's Larry Merton getting him drunk, Edna and Miss Bunting making him feel guilty, or him being the voice of modernity for the estate, it was all about how he's a member of the Crawley family but also an outsider. And they dropped the outsider angle (probably because it was boring and made that character look stupid) and now he's a modern businessman. 

We never saw him wanting to move on with a new woman after Sybil's death. The two women he was involved with basically forced themselves on him and he hated them. He's never expressed the slightest romantic desire for anyone since Sybil. 

As for Edith, we know there's a wedding scene, right? I don't think Edith will get left at the altar twice. Not even Julian Fellowes is that much of a hack. So I predict Mary finds out and there's a huge fight, and the Edith probably does something to nearly screw up her chances but it all goes off without a hitch. 

• Love 3

The CS is 2 hours like always, I think.

Thanks

Unfortunately we know that there will be a bad fight. I don't want to see it, but it was mentioned. 

Actually Mary has it coming, so if Bertie will be the one to tell her to hold her mouth for a change, it is not undeserved. But I do hope they can still all live in peace after the air is cleared. They will both own big estates after all and face the same problems, so I would like a future where they could exchange tips and talk about what options they have etc. 

I heard there is a big fight as well, I just don't see it being a very public fight (at most I could see it being in front of the family [Robert, Cora and Tom]). Usually when Mary gains information about someone and/or their actions she confront's them personally. We saw that with Edith in series 1, Lavinia in series 2, and Rose in series 4. Although there is the fact that everyone else found out before her and that could be her breaking point. (like Granny Violet this past episode) So you may be right.

ETA: from the episode 8 summary "Mary wonders if she can ever make peace with her sister as hostilities escalate" and the press pack "tensions between the sisters reach breaking point and it’s up to Mary to decide if she can ever make peace with Edith – or herself?" it sounds like there is a possibility that they do make peace or at least Mary may try to make peace.

Edited by RedWolf

Does anyone think the show will end with Mary and Edith estranged? I doubt it. 

Agreed.  But, having said that, I think I would find it unrealistic for them to have a love-in.  If Sybil's death didn't bring them closer together, nothing will..

• Love 1

I actually always threw JF a bone over that because I think in *books*, the death of a sibling magically trumps years of arguments between other siblings but in reality, it often leads to the stalemate we see with Edith and Mary. Sybil couldn't make them like each other in life, and removing her removed the buffer.

• Love 4

I've read somewhere that Julian Fellows has a difficult relationship with his sibling(s) himself (I don't know if brother or sister or both) and that they now "get along", but they're not really close. Julian Fellows also said once that he saw himself as the "Edith" of his own family.

Tetraneutron,

I'm afraid we have to agree to disagree on Tom. And I know Allen Leech disagrees with you, too. In his last interview he said that Tom was a "hopeless romantic". He also has said repeatedly, that for him Tom has to find love again in the end. 

I'm sure we will see that.

Edited by Andorra
  • Love 2

I've read somewhere that Julian Fellows has a difficult relationship with his sibling(s) himself (I don't know if brother or sister or both) and that they now "get along", but they're not really close. Julian Fellows also said once that he saw himself as the "Edith" of his own family.

Tetraneutron,

I'm afraid we have to agree to disagree on Tom. And I know Allen Leech disagrees with you, too. In his last interview he said that Tom was a "hopeless romantic". He also has said repeatedly, that for him Tom has to find love again in the end. 

I'm sure we will see that.

If that's true I can't imagine he wouldn't give Edith a happy ending. She's his Mary Sue.

There is NO WAY JF won't give Edith a happy ending. And it has been pretty much spoilt already. So the Edith fans can lean back and enjoy the rest of the series. There will be a bit of angst for half an episode and then it will be all fine, I bet. 

• Love 4

I actually always threw JF a bone over that because I think in *books*, the death of a sibling magically trumps years of arguments between other siblings but in reality, it often leads to the stalemate we see with Edith and Mary. Sybil couldn't make them like each other in life, and removing her removed the buffer.

I agree with that - what I was trying to say is that, after all of that didn't bring them closer together, I would find it unrealistic if they had a full on reconciliation at the end of the series.  I would rather that they ended the series as they've spent it - clearly disliking each other. 

• Love 1

From season 6 episode 6 thread:

How does Mary pointing out to Bertie that she's hateful to Edith because Edith told the Turkish ambassador that Mary, an unmarried woman, slept with Kemal Pamuk in any way make Edith look bad to Bertie? I mean sure Edith could have destroyed the family with that bitch move but when it comes to Mary screwing over Edith's chances with Bertie because she's put out by Bertie calling her rude.... Doesn't it make more sense to go to "My sister's ward is really her illegitimate baby with the married man she had an affair with!" rather than "Edith told the Turkish Ambassador about my having sex out of wedlock!"?

My idea for the conversation:

Bertie and Mary in the library

Bertie:  Now that I am Marquess and Edith is to be my wife, I will not tolerate the manner in which you treat her.  Your unprovoked insults and attacks will stop.

Mary:  I suggest that you do not insert yourself in situations beyond your understanding.

Bertie:  She is to be my wife and marchioness.  This concerns me.  She is an innocent victim of your bitterness and I will not stand for it.

Mary:  Innocent?  I assure you.  She is not.

Bertie:  There is nothing she could have done to warrant . . .

Mary:  Nothing?  Many years ago, before I was married, a young man named Pamuk came to spend the weekend at Downton.  He unfortunately died here.  Soon thereafter I found myself being shunned by London society.  You might have heard the rumors;  it was the talk in all the London circles:  "Mr. Pamuk died in Lady Mary's bed."  How our family wasn't ruined I do not know.  But what I do know is that the scandal began when your precious Edith wrote a letter to the Turkish ambassador regarding Pamuk's death.  She promoted the story and made sure I felt its sting.

(Now I don't particularly think Bertie would ask this, but let's play  Bertie):  Was it true?

Mary:  Does it matter?  Should a woman's duty be to publicize her sister's unfortunate choices and leave her to be torn to shreds by society's judgments?

Edith enters

Edith:  Oh there you are, Bertie.  With Mary?  What could you two possibly be discussing?

Mary:  Your fiancé and I were discussing a moral issue.  If one sister is believed to have sinned, should the other sister be required to publicize those misdeeds to protect society from her lack of virtue?  You thought so years ago; I wonder if age and experience have caused you to change your mind.  Bertie, have you decided your answer?  We are anxious to hear your thoughts on the matter.  Aren't we, Edith?

I think it's massively overstating the case to suggest that Mary and her entire family were RUINED by the Pamuk thing being whispered about.  We have no real evidence for that - Mary continued to have lots of suitors, no-one shunned her, it was all basically fine.  The only reason it wouldn't have been fine is if it had got into the newspapers, and I don't think it's at all clear that Edith intended it to be reported in the press.

I also think even Mary wouldn't say that the scandal began with Edith's letter...  it clearly began with Mary sleeping with Pamuk, which was a risk that she chose to run.  He could have, if he hadn't died, spread the story himself.

Edited by saki
  • Love 3

Edith didn't make Mary sleep with Pamuk and she wasn't ruined and shunned plus Matthew let her off the hook. But I agree the letter was quite a spiteful move by Edith much as I like her. The fur will fly if Mary finds out Thomas led Pamuk to her bedroom.

• Love 2

I didn't say Mary and the family were ruined. What I said was, "How our family wasn't ruined I do not know." Mary was shunned. Evelyn came to see her and tell her Edith started the rumor because she was being shunned and didn't know why. She didn't have lots of suitors then. Sir Richard popped up, and he wanted her status and used the story to his advantage. The only reason it didn't make the papers was because he bought the exclusive rights and refused to publish it. That is the only reason it died down.

Anyway, the question I was answering was how Mary could mention the Pamuk incident and make Edith look bad without outing her own involvement. That is the purpose of the conversation I wrote. Mary could totally spin it as it doesn't matter whether the story is true, Edith spread it around with no regard for the consequences. And if people want to say Edith was right to do so and Mary shouldn't have slept with Pamuk so she started it all and deserved the censure, then don't come back calling Mary a bitch if she tells Bertie about Marigold because Mary certainly didn't make Edith sleep with Michael.

I would still prefer that Bertie be kept out of all of it and the fight stay between Edith and Mary with both realizing how awful they have been over the years.

• Love 1

I would still prefer that Bertie be kept out of all of it and the fight stay between Edith and Mary with both realizing how awful they have been over the years.

Me, too. But I'm afraid we will see a very ugly scene. I hope not!

• Love 2

There is no way on any planet that the conversation will ever take that course. Mary is never, ever going to allude or even hint at the fact that she lost her virginity in a one night stand to a foreigner who had the temerity to die in her bed. Not going to happen. Never going to happen. Mary would never ever say that out loud. She might grumble about Edith being a resentful ne'er-do-well who has had her share of rudeness but Mary will never ever reveal her own flaws and mistakes to someone who doesn't worship her. While as a modern audience we may dismiss the Pamuk incident and side-eye Edith for snitching given the potential for backlash against her family, in the eyes of society of the time the 'appripriate' response to a debutante losing her virginity in a one night stand with a foreigner would be outrage, thus Edith's response wouldn't be criticized --Mary would be. And that holds for the 20s. Mary is not, will not , ever going to expose herself to potential ridicule by admitting to this transgression, especially when what she's after is a takedown. Not going to happen. (And would come off as wildly hypocritical if she did as theoretically she'd be trying to out Edith as a fallen woman).

Mary may gripe about something Edith did 10 years ago. But she'd never stipulate what... And probably wouldn't mention something from ten years ago because it would mean she's been carrying a grudge over an incident for ten years which would mean admitting to actually giving a flip about her sister in any form whatsoever, even if only for a grudge, which is not an easy thing for Mary to do. (And I'm not at all convinced that Mary even has a grudge about 10 years ago, just general amorphous lifelong disdain).

Edited by shipperx
  • Love 9

You're saying it much better than I, Shipperx.

I can totally see Mary dragging up something hateful to put the screws to Edith but I can't see her starting with "Edith told everyone that I spread my legs for a foreigner". Not when "Edith slept with a married man and had a baby" is on the table.

• Love 2

The guardian has mentioned "Brary" in it's comments twice now, too.

Episode 5

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: this whole programme is just one big jumble of subplots. But the scene with Branson and Lady Mary discussing his marriage to Sybil was sweet and promising. We should have more of this sort of thing, Uncle Julian. This is the last series and we need to get some sort of indication of circularity. Why have we all been led down this path for five long years and what does it all mean? What have we been building up to? There must be some method in the madness. (I know. I know. There isn’t.)

If it’s all building up to Mary falling in love with Tom, then perhaps there is a God somewhere.

And Episode 6:

“Why don’t you come with me?” “Oh, alright, I’ll go and pack.” They’ll be lots more of this before Branson and Mary finally get it together. As surely they must.

And I found another one: 

http://www.hypable.com/in-defense-of-a-downton-abbey-mary-tom-romance/

In most reviews Tom is not mentioned at all though, despite his increasing screentime. I think they're at a loss what his storyline is all about and if it is not about Brary and they don't make this connection, then I can understand them. I would be at a loss,too!

• Love 1

I was wondering if any of you wonderful people on this board could help me remember instances when Matthew was able to change Mary's mind? (other than whether he was a sea monster or Perseus.)

I honestly can't think of anything. She "mellowed" a bit when he confronted her about being too harsh with Edith, for example. But really changing her mind? I don#t remember an instance when she did. 

• Love 1

Re: the 'conversation', my bet is that it isn't going to be that Mary vindictively outs Edith. I'm going to bet that Mary feels the bite of being the very last to know, that absolutely no one felt it safe to tell her the information. That's a pretty big indictment of her that will actually hurt her feelings. Yeah she has been rude and dismissive of Edith, but this boils down to everyone in the family not trusting Mary with a 'family' matter. Ouch. So Mary is going to righteously confront the family with her 'betrayal' and this inadvertently outs Edith to Bertie, which causes everyone to glare at Mary. And then Mary has to reflect that maybe her family had reason to avoid trusting her where Edith was concerned, taking down her indignation down a couple of notches. Of course Edith and Bertie will work things out and by the CS Edith and Mary will cry pax with both admitting to having said/done things they shouldn't have so that there is some semblance of familial peace.

• Love 1

Of course the irony here is that Mary should feel more betrayed by her own intellect than by her family. Almost everybody was able to figure out the truth about Marigold without Edith having to tell them - except Rosamund and Cora. The former was Edith's only confidante (because she had caught Edith on her walk of shame IIRC) and Cora was told by Mrs Drewe. Violet simply demanded the truth because she was sharp enough to see through Rosamund and Edith's attempts to lie. Tom, Anna, Mrs Hughes pieced the truth together from things they observed - even his lordship, normally not the sharpest tool in the shed, managed to come to the right conclusion. That should burn someone convinced of her sharp mind much more than any intrigue to keep her in the dark.

• Love 3

Re: the 'conversation', my bet is that it isn't going to be that Mary vindictively outs Edith. I'm going to bet that Mary feels the bite of being the very last to know, that absolutely no one felt it safe to tell her the information. That's a pretty big indictment of her that will actually hurt her feelings. 

I see the opposite. Throughout the show, Mary is the hero, the one the audience is supposed to identify and root for. They won't have her be the evil villain for no reason, especially when airing dirty laundry to an outsider is the ultimate sin. 

My guess? There's a big fight but it's caused by Edith being stupid rather than Mary being vindictive, And the show ends with Mary being the one to bury the hatchet. That way, Mary can end on a win. Maybe after the big fight with Edith Mary is the one to fix things with Bertie. That would let her be the social goddess Fellowes likes to write her as. 

• Love 1

The pictures of episode 8 are out and I'm afraid it looks bad for the Brary ship.

Obviously Talbot comes back (and Mary doesn't look too thrilled), but there are also pictures of Mary in a dress that would be appropriate for a second wedding and there's one picture that looks as if Isobel is congratulating her.

So it could be that Mary will break up with him and then he comes back in Episode 8 and they marry. It would sadly explain Lady Shackleton's presence, too. 

So maybe the Brary ship will sink in Episode 8. If that's the case I feel sad for the Mary fans. Talbot seems flat as a fish and I doubt Fellows will be able to change my mind about that in the last two episodes.

And also if that's the case: I hope the editor will turn out to be extremely lovely and will Tom knock of his feet in the upcoming episode!

there are also pictures of Mary in a dress that would be appropriate for a second wedding and there's one picture that looks as if Isobel is congratulating her.

Yikes. Yeah, Mary's wearing a very formal-looking, ivory dress, with a white corsage and pearl jewellery, and her hair has been curled. And I wonder if that isn't her matching hat on the dressing-table behind Rosamund, in the picture where Rosamund and Edith are sitting in a lady's bedroom. Maybe Rosamund and Edith are looking at Mary in her bridal gown. There looks to be a small bridal bouquet on the dressing-table, too; you can see it in the reflection in that full-length mirror.

If it was simply a dress fitting, then Mary's hair wouldn't be done. And surely a bridesmaid wouldn't be wearing a gown in a bridal colour. All in all, it sure looks like Mary's second wedding day!

Well, maybe she'll leave Henry Talbot at the altar. ;)

I thought Edith would get her happy ending in episode 8 because she's a little less important to JF. And Mary would get the big dramatic climax in the Christmas Special. Edith and Bertie look like they're together in those shots. Actually he looks like one of the family. But I guess they're not married?

Edited by Kirsty
  • Love 1

I don't give up all hope.

Maybe Mary will marry Tom and not Talbot. 

Or maybe she will stop the marriage at the very last minute?

At least I've decided the "congratulation picture" with Mary and Isobel is NOT at Mary's wedding, because Mary is wearing purple and a different hat. So maybe they fool us and the "summer wedding" will be Isobel and Merton?

And Tom and Mary have a registry wedding at the very end?

Now, first thing's first. I'll wait for episode 7 to decide what I think.

ButTomissocuteplayingforthekidswithBertieOMGIllbesosadifMarymarriesTalbot!!!!

• Love 2

Now, first thing's first. I'll wait for episode 7 to decide what I think.

I do agree episode 7 is the key somehow.  If it's Tom that Mary is scared for thinking he got hurt, maybe confusion about which car he's driving, and not Henry or just general fear, then Brary has a chance.  I think it seems that it's Henry's friend Charlie who gets hurts maybe if it's not about Tom.  There has to be a real reason other than giving Tom something to do for his glut of scenes w/Mary and with Mary and Henry.  I hope you guys are right that Mary leaves Henry at the altar or something, because that's a wedding dress/suit thing she's wearing, of that I have no doubt.  

I don't know, Tom is my favorite character, and I just love his relationship with Mary.  It would be a good ending.  Mary And Henry, whatever.  Tom in the shadows, coming back from America to play the part of Mary's best friend/gal pal?  Lame.  

Edited by sunflower

I'm such a fool to hold out for this ship. I don't even dislike the character of Henry Talbot. (I think Matthew Goode has been great with what little he's been given.) It's just that I prefer Tom. Makes more sense to the story to me in every way.

I'm pretty used to being on the losing end of ship wars though. I wanted--

Harry/Hermione (Books and movies but books especially.)

Aragorn/Eowyn (In the movies anyway. I never read the books.)

Eric/Sookie (In the early days not towards the end.)

Dylan/Kelly (Yeah, I'm bringing it back.)

Richard/Hazel and James/Georgina on Upstairs, Downstairs

So based on my track record I'd say that there's basically no way that Brary is happening. ;p

Seriously where are you guys seeing these pictures?

I can't even find anything on google.

I'm such a fool to hold out for this ship. I don't even dislike the character of Henry Talbot. (I think Matthew Goode has been great with what little he's been given.) It's just that I prefer Tom. Makes more sense to the story to me in every way.

I'm pretty used to being on the losing end of ship wars though. I wanted--

Harry/Hermione (Books and movies but books especially.)
Aragorn/Eowyn (In the movies anyway. I never read the books.)
Eric/Sookie (In the early days not towards the end.)
Dylan/Kelly (Yeah, I'm bringing it back.)
Richard/Hazel and James/Georgina on Upstairs, Downstairs

So based on my track record I'd say that there's basically no way that Brary is happening. ;p

Well I mean if you go by the new series I think they ended up together (I know they had a kid together)... I was in the Brandon and Kelly camp personally.

In the picture where Mary and Isobel are holding hands Isobel wears what I would consider an appropriate wedding outfit for someone in her position. I'm more and more convinced that the third wedding is Isobel and Lord Merton. I see no other reason for Amelia Cruishank to pop up this late in the show than to facilitate this wedding. Whoever Mary is going to marry it won't happen until the CS (or in the time in-between).

As for Mary's cream outfit - I call red herring shenanigans for a variety of reasons - one being the boutonnière (or whatever you call the bouquet on her lapel).. We haven't even seen Edith's wedding dress although we know that wedding will take place - no way we're getting to see Mary's wedding dress. Although: Lady Edith may not like her sister very much but no way she would attend her wedding in the drab outfit she's wearing in the shot that is taken in Mary's dressing room.

There are some questionable story choices happening on this show but to end episode 8 with Mary married to a man she is not ready to marry and Edith not married to a man she is...Nope. Nope. Nope.

It needs to be Edith. And then Isobel and Lord Merton if that's in the cards. And then Mary in the CS. I don't care who Mary marries, but please not before Edith.

It's all so weird. It doesn't make sense at all to rush this Mary-marriage so much! Bertie even came back an episode earlier than Henry and Edith and Bertie's relationship is so much better developed. He will also propose in Episode 7, so why would it be Mary who would marry first??

My guess is that either it isn't her wedding dress (maybe she's a maid of honour? for Isobel? or Edith if they reconcile? It could explain the boutonnière) OR it is her wedding dress and the wedding doesn't happen (she leaves Talbot at the altar? Talbot leaves her at the altar? Tom objects because he loves Mary? Tom objects because he loves Henry?)

Or she marries Tom (which is so unlikely. If it happens I wouldn't expect it until the CS)

Or she marries Evelyn Napier. Or Charles Blake comes back from Poland.

What is going on.

Please let it be Edith.

Edited by hafo

OR it is her wedding dress and the wedding doesn't happen (she leaves Talbot at the altar? Talbot leaves her at the altar? Tom objects because he loves Mary? Tom objects because he loves Henry?)

Talbot has seen first hand how much Tom is a part of Mary's life/entourage.  Maybe it finally annoys him OR he sees something in episode 7 that gives him pause, but he holds off on until the wedding because of his love for Mary?  It's soapy, but hell with it, I want Brary!! 

• Love 1

What is going on is that due to poor pacing a ton of plot-lines has to be resolved within two episodes (plus the CS) and regardless of one's favorite ship that does not bode well. Also: that shot of George standing besides Sybil's tomb is creepy.

• Love 1

Also: that shot of George standing besides Sybil's tomb is creepy.

Yep.  And Sybbie and Marigold holding hands in the distance doesn't not give me a "Shining" vibe.  

Or does this mean Georgie is a Brary? 

• Love 1