Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E08: Patisserie

• Start Topic

There was a prior contestant who had a similar problem, told over and over (and over) again that she was focusing too much on style and not enough on substance. In Flora's case, her voiceovers indicate she goes overboard to push herself. This compulsion is really kind of fascinating. Is it a straight up need to overachieve or be super inventive, or is that a smokescreen masking a lack of confidence in her basic skills? (Like the useless amaretti cookies she thought would distract from the uneven bake.) Or perhaps they are already so far into planning before they begin filming that it's hard to rethink everything when you're in the thick of it.

I shake my head at it, but I rather admire the drive to take on the biggest challenge even if it means sacrificing the win. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Portia said:

Okay, I'm an American, so you'll just have to humor me: 

A bunch of pastries stacked up in the shape of a nun. Um, WHYYYYY?????

Because it's French!

The one served mostly at pastry shops isn't quite as elaborate.  They're just like two cream puffs with the bigger one on the bottom and the smaller one on top. The version they did on this show must be an homage or done for the same reason they make a croquembouche--for parties. 

• Love 3

Perhaps I am just not into choux pastry but I didn't find a single one of the nun things the least be attractive.  They all looked to me like some kind of craft project a kid would put together.

• Love 9
56 minutes ago, snarktini said:

There was a prior contestant who had a similar problem, told over and over (and over) again that she was focusing too much on style and not enough on substance.

Yes! I've been referring to Flora as "Frances 2.0" when watching with LeapDayBoyfriend, who thankfully is just as much a fan of the show as I.

Unfortunately, I suspect that Flora

Spoiler

will not duplicate Frances's ultimate success in her series; at least Frances turned off the style and came through with the substance at the end.

• Love 1

I don't mind Flora's over-embellishments because I think it's the type of thing that will be a non-issue in settings where she doesn't have a time crunch. 

They also seemed to emphasize that her Showstopper was well done technique-wise.

But it wasn't. The pastry for the eclair was apparently well made, but the nun was half bent over. Given that the whole point of the two hour wait was to test whether the nuns could hold up, how can a tilted nun be deemed well-done technique wise? I also think that if a person is going to choose really off-the-beaten path flavors for an eclair competition like bubblegum and peppermint, they need to absolutely pull it off.

I guess this is one of those things where I'm hurt by not being able to taste the food. From watching the episode, I didn't even know that Nadiya won the signature over Tamal. I just knew that they'd both done well. 

I also feel confused by the point of the technical. What is giving the bakers incomplete instructions actually testing?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Zuleikha said:

I also feel confused by the point of the technical. What is giving the bakers incomplete instructions actually testing?

To see if they know the techniques required to successfully make the recipe.  Are they able to make a proper meringue (and execute it so the three different types are identifiable as such), or a Genoise sponge or choux?  Otherwise, it's just a test of who can follow directions the best.

I'm sure that given a full set of instructions, I could get the Mokatines close to right (although the decorations would be beyond my poor unsteady hands).  But if I was given instructions like "make the dough in the usual style," I'd be better just pouring myself a glass of gin and watching everyone else.

Edited by starri
  • Love 9
4 hours ago, Zuleikha said:

1 hour ago, starri said:

To see if they know the techniques required to successfully make the recipe.  Are they able to make a proper meringue (and execute it so the three different types are identifiable as such), or a Genoise sponge or choux?  Otherwise, it's just a test of who can follow directions the best.

Exactly. The hosts' statements that the recipes are "incomplete" or "missing some crucial information" is, I think, misleading. It's not that crucial words or sentences are arbitrarily omitted "just to make it harder." From the few times they've shown the Technical instructions in closeup, plus what the bakers occasionally tell us, I would instead say that these are "professional-level recipes" -- what a full-time baker (who doesn't need to be told yet again how all the common doughs, icings, etc., are made) would expect to see. It's an enumeration of the building blocks that go into the finished product: make a genoise as usual, and of course you know what temperature it bakes at, and how to tell when it's done. As one past contestant put it, "It's a matter of knowing the tricks of the trade, and if you've got 'em you're OK."

• Love 6

Poor Paul, I did feel for him, but since the technical is testing proficiency and the ability to execute basics, I understand why it said "make a genoise" , it seems fair game, as that's a basic cake type. I was honestly startled that Paul didn't know how to make one.  It's a pretty standard cake type.  The challenge there, I think, was in executing the more fiddly details of the filling and the nuts.  Weirdly, the cake type should have only been tricky in getting it to come out.   Poor man, he really was doomed by that, but whereas he didn't know how to make a genoise, he'd heard of it before.  It wasn't an issue of "What the hell is that??" it was an issue of "Gah!! I never bothered to learn that one!"  

t's getting kind of fascinating to watch Flora, because she's been told repeatedly to make sure she nails the essentials and not take time and attention away for extras that "aren't in the brief," but she seemingly can't help herself. I suppose they seem essential parts of her concept while she's in the midst of it. And then during judging she nods ruefully that yep, she did it again. I like her, though -- in particular her matter-of-fact recognition that she really could have been the one eliminated ("that bullet so had my name on it").

I think it's one of the few areas her age and experience shows in.  Once she has a plan, I don't think she's quite developed how to adapt it on the fly.   Sue standing there saying something like, "Flora, my love, perhaps you should....?"  and poor Flora agreeing that, yes, yes, perhaps she should...but I think once she had formed a plan, she'd also formed the steps she thought she should execute that plan in....and she just hasn't had enough experience to be able to figure out how to change that on the fly.   

I'm always so impressed by her, imagine how incredible she'll be in ten more years.  For right now, she just has a couple of pitfalls that come with relative inexperience, I think.  

• Love 8

I like Ian even if he is a rather odd duck.  I still remember his genuine shock and delight at winning his first star baker.

I think some of what is slightly off-putting about him (other than his taking "waste not, want not" a little too far last episode) is that he isn't quite as nervous as the others. But I'm not sure what the "right" response would have been after winning 3 weeks in a row - openly worrying about going home right after winning wouldn't have been right either.  I think he was separated from the group a bit (ostracized would be too strong a term) because of his early star bakers.  Now that it's been several weeks since he's won, everyone seems more comfortable with him.

Also, does he have a slight (very slight) stutter?

• Love 7

I don't think he has a stutter or stammer of any kind, but: 

I think some of what is slightly off-putting about him (other than his taking "waste not, want not" a little too far last episode) is that he isn't quite as nervous as the others. 

Oh my gosh, I think you've actually nailed it in one.  That's a really good point.  He doesn't express doubt in the same ways that the others do.  Everyone else can be seen, on occasion, sort of glancing around and visibly worrying, "Is this right?" or "Oh....I think I've set the oven wrong..." or a huge host of things, but Ian keeps that kind of thought process to himself while in the tent.  

Just a slight difference in mannerisms, but that may mean he just internalizes all that sort of thing.  Then end result being that he conveys confidence in his relative silence.  

In other news, I swear, I think Paul Hollywood told Prison Paul, "I love you, man" as he hugged him goodbye.  It was kind of awesome because I didn't peg Hollywood as a demonstrative sort of man.  Prison Paul started out sort of quiet, but warmed up quickly to be one of the funnier, more accessible sort of personalities. 

Ian's humor tends to be a bit dry and I think his version of worrying is to only pay attention to what he's doing.  He may be one of those people who just hones in on the thing worrying him and all else around him goes by the wayside.   Maybe that's why he seems sort of isolated from the other bakers?  They like him.  Call him, "mate" etc. , applauded the crown last week.  He's liked by the other bakers, he just seems more internal while in the tent than the other contestants do. 

In other news: God in heaven, bubblegum, and peppermint?  Choose one, or the other (ditch the bubblegum, ditch the bubblegum!!) , but if you must do two flavors those two together sound awful to me.  Like brushing your teeth after eating cotton candy.  

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 10
4 hours ago, stillshimpy said:

He's liked by the other bakers, he just seems more internal while in the tent than the other contestants do. 

Ian is an example of how someone who keeps his own counsel can be perceived as arrogant or aloof by people who don't know them well. Internal people often get a bum rap IMO.

I see him as the proverbial duck -- calm on the surface, paddling like mad underneath. He doesn't apologize or panic, he just gets to work and powers through. Calmness doesn't necessarily equate to confidence or complacence.

ETA: On a personal note, reading conversations on boards like this has helped me in the real world. I've always cared too much if people like me, and reading how widely mileage varies has proven there is no such thing as a universally liked (or disliked) person. So, thanks!

Edited by snarktini
  • Love 23
1 hour ago, stillshimpy said:

In other news, I swear, I think Paul Hollywood told Prison Paul, "I love you, man" as he hugged him goodbye.  It was kind of awesome because I didn't peg Hollywood as a demonstrative sort of man.  Prison Paul started out sort of quiet, but warmed up quickly to be one of the funnier, more accessible sort of personalities.

Sue was visibly choked up when telling Prison Paul it was his time to go. I think he was very, very well liked by everyone. I will admit, his being politely asked to leave is the first this season to make me tear up. Yes, I cried. I'm not ashamed. I adore him and will always remember his bread Aslan. And remember, Paul Hollywood did give him a special commendation for that bread. I think they had a strong Paul bond. lol

• Love 12

Yes, I cried. I'm not ashamed. 

Me, too and I think I may again if either Nadiya or Tamal goes.  I like Ian and Flora as well and I love how they all seem to be so supportive of each other.  Such a refreshing show and I feel silly getting so involved.  But there it is....

• Love 10
13 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

Me, too and I think I may again if either Nadiya or Tamal goes.  I like Ian and Flora as well and I love how they all seem to be so supportive of each other.  Such a refreshing show and I feel silly getting so involved.  But there it is....

Your post made me realize I do not think there has been a contestant this year that I detested. Some other competition shows I watch it is like the producers try to find the most unlikable group of people. Everyone seems very sincere and cosiderate and all about the food, I really love that.

• Love 8
9 hours ago, stillshimpy said:

Oh my gosh, I think you've actually nailed it in one.  That's a really good point.  He doesn't express doubt in the same ways that the others do.  Everyone else can be seen, on occasion, sort of glancing around and visibly worrying, "Is this right?" or "Oh....I think I've set the oven wrong..." or a huge host of things, but Ian keeps that kind of thought process to himself while in the tent.  

He did express a bit of wry doubt in this episode while talking about the French horns.  He was confident about them and preferred them to the vol au vent challenge but gave a bit of a worried smile when saying things should go well. 

• Love 1
On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 9:01 PM, Irlandesa said:

Because it's French!

The one served mostly at pastry shops isn't quite as elaborate.  They're just like two cream puffs with the bigger one on the bottom and the smaller one on top. The version they did on this show must be an homage or done for the same reason they make a croquembouche--for parties. 

The smaller one you describe was actually a technical challenge last season.

On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 7:34 PM, Kohola3 said:

Perhaps I am just not into choux pastry but I didn't find a single one of the nun things the least be attractive.  They all looked to me like some kind of craft project a kid would put together.

This was one showstopper where I really wanted to see an example of what they were going for, because I didn't think any of these looked worth the effort. It's hard for me to imagine anyone's would.

I love bubblegum flavor - in bubblegum. I was surprised that Paul seemed to like the idea (at least before he tasted it). Nadiya's face when she tasted the icing and said "yes, that's bubblegum" didn't scream "I love bubblegum!"

Poor Flora, she reminds me of my daughter who also ratchets up the difficulty level on any project she's assigned. The end results can be spectacular, but it sure takes a toll.

Is it just me, or have the last few departing bakers pretty much collapsed from the signature onward? We sadly figured Paul was a goner, after the technical, since he was 0 for 2 at that point.

On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 4:00 PM, forumfish said:

Does "streaking" mean the same thing in England as it does in the U.S.? Nadiya is so adorable.

Inquiring minds want to know. Was Nadiya being naughty, or just spirited?

32 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

This was one showstopper where I really wanted to see an example of what they were going for, because I didn't think any of these looked worth the effort. It's hard for me to imagine anyone's would.

Since you asked...

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/301459768788740462/

Still, I'd rather just have a plate of éclairs. Fancy centerpieces don't impress me so much as make me assume they are more decorative than tasty.

Edited by snarktini
  • Love 10

Thank you, @snarktini. That is certainly more impressive. I guess they'd have to take a full day to get anywhere near that sort of display.

I agree that these centerpieces seem more decorative than tasty. Then again, I don't care for eclairs and choux pastry - so tasty wouldn't be my first inclination even if they were on a plate.

• Love 3

love eclairs and cream puffs and choux pastry goodies in general (and in my own experience, it's one of the easiest pastry doughs to make despite what they say -- but no doubt I'm not making it to their exacting standard). But I agree, the fancy centerpiece constructions seem kind of pointless. For a real pâtisserie to display in the shop window as an advertisement for their expertise, sure; but why need anyone else bother with one? Just pile the eclairs on a platter and leave me alone with 'em.

• Love 8

I also teared up when Paul was eliminated. I always wanted to see what he'd look like in dress uniform - he looks ordinary in regular clothing, but I bet he'd look pretty good in dress uniform. I also wonder if he bakes for the inmates. That would be a good reward/punishment - cookies for good behavior, no cookies for bad.

1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

But white chocolate is indeed an abomination.

I hear a lot of opinions to that effect (and I kind of share them), but weirdly, both Paul and Mary seem to adore it. When it's an ingredient in one of their "masterclass" episodes, it's a toss-up which of them will be more naughty grabbing extra pieces of it to nibble on while they do the demonstration.

Good white chocolate (and there is such a thing) is not an abomination, but it's a flavor that needs to be used judiciously, IMO.

(My love for black licorice has probably made any taste opinion I have suspect. I don't care!)

• Love 4
On July 30, 2016 at 10:43 PM, stillshimpy said:

Ian was back to being charming, but I now unfortunately associate him with picking up road kill, taking it home and eating it.  Why, why, I implore, you space oddity, did you have to tell that story and forever brand yourself as an eater of carrion?  

Me too! I'm kind of grossed out by him now, to be honest. I wouldn't eat anything he cooked or baked at home. I feel like "best by" dates, etc, wouldn't mean a thing to him. 

• Love 3

Did Paul tell Nadiya, "Don't lose your egg"? "Don't lose your rag"?

What is strong flour?

Sue's pronunciations are so odd to my American ear.  She rhymed moan, horn, and gone, and then she pronounced mocha as "mocker".

Wow, that thing (mochateens?) that Mary had them making looked absolutely delicious.

Mango and passion fruit is classic?

Raspberry and basil?

I'll bet the lights in that tent were really hot, therefore making things soft.

I didn't really enjoy this episode, too much stress and things I've never heard of.

Nadiya's layers were the same size.  She needed to graduate them.

Paul's purple frosting looked gray.

I could see Paul was on borrowed time.

• Love 1
44 minutes ago, Rick Kitchen said:

Did Paul tell Nadiya, "Don't lose your egg"? "Don't lose your rag"?

Don't lose your rag. Context implied don't panic, keep it together. However, research shows the phrase means don't lose your temper, which doesn't seem quite accurate for the situation. 

And the mocker thingies are spelled Mochatines. I love how they say bana-ner. :)

• Love 1

I enjoyed this episode but sad to see Paul leave, although  I'm not sure who else I would have chosen.

To those Americans who've never heard of or seen cream horns, I've seen them at Costco once in a pack of 4 horns - I think around Christmas.  I hadn't seen them before so I had to try them.   Tasty and pretty, although to my view not worth the fiddling with to make.

• Love 1

Watching the series on the CBC player, and I was giggling at Sue's comments this episode.

I hope Thierry Henry was finally rescued from Sue's basement. ;) But yes, when she said "Angry Baby Paul" I laughed out loud.

Also her spin behind Paul and Mary after smelling the bubblegum flavor.

• Love 1

How in the world did Nadyia win this week?  Tamal and she both did well on the signature, and her showstopper failed at both flavor and construction.  Tamal was robbed.

Perhaps it doesn’t help that I am binge-watching out of seasonal order, but I know someone left the tent because she used artificial flavors in her showstopper. I don’t know why Nadyia gets a pass for it.  She also failed to finish two bakes and got passes for those.  This is getting annoying, which bothers me because she seems delightful.  Her face pulls remind me of Ruby, but luckily she has an upbeat, fun personality to counteract it.