Type keyword(s) to search

"Hell Yeah!" TV Moments

• Start Topic

On 3/31/2019 at 5:38 PM, Jamoche said:

Many of the actors playing Nazis were German refugees - Werner Klemperer, for instance, was the son of a famed composer - so getting a chance to make them look like bumbling fools was a Hell Yeah for them too.

So was the guy who played Schultz, I’ve heard.   Makes sense when u put it that way cause I always wondered how they could play Nazis.

• Love 6
On 4/1/2019 at 4:46 PM, roamyn said:

So was the guy who played Schultz, I’ve heard.   Makes sense when u put it that way cause I always wondered how they could play Nazis.

Werner Klemperer said that he played the character of Klink because he got to make him an universal idiot and if the writers ever tried to let Klink win for a change against Hogan, that was the day he walked off set and never came back. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 12
On ‎03‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 5:38 PM, Jamoche said:

Many of the actors playing Nazis were German refugees - Werner Klemperer, for instance, was the son of a famed composer - so getting a chance to make them look like bumbling fools was a Hell Yeah for them too.

Indeed, that was the condition upon which Klemperer agreed to take the role, that Col. Klink would never be the hero but always a bumbling fool.

• Love 7
(edited)

Ironically, the performers playing NAZIs in Hogan's Heroes actually had more firsthand experience re having to start their lives over in a new country  and even in doing heroics than the one who played the titular leading performer!  Yes, I imagine they weren't entirely happy playing NAZIs though they may have taken comfort in being able to ape and belittle those who had oppressed them. Then again,  they may have taken the attitude the iconic Hattie McDaniel had re playing housekeepers 'I'd rather make $700 a week playing a maid than $7 a week being  a maid! (in 1930's currency)' I mean,  the variety of roles besides NAZIs  for performers with thick German accents   was not that extensive in Hollywood even as late as the 1960s! 

Edited by Blergh
clarity
  • Love 4

One more Game of Thrones HY moment before the final season starts: Cersei taking her revenge on Ellaria Sand, poisoning Tyne the same way she poisoned Myrcella. I know we usually aren't supposed to root for her, but after what Ellaria and the Sand Snakes did to Myrcella, Trystane and Doran -- all of them decent by GOT standards and who didn't deserve to die -- I was willing to let Cersei have that one.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

One more Game of Thrones HY moment before the final season starts: Cersei taking her revenge on Ellaria Sand, poisoning Tyne the same way she poisoned Myrcella. I know we usually aren't supposed to root for her, but after what Ellaria and the Sand Snakes did to Myrcella, Trystane and Doran -- all of them decent by GOT standards and who didn't deserve to die -- I was willing to let Cersei have that one.

I just saw that ep. It is the only time I was rooting for Cersei. I couldn't stand the Sand Snakes so really couldn't muster up any sympathy for them. It was also terrifying, the extent of Cersei's sadism. Why anyone would want to be under her rule is beyond me. 

• Love 4

At Bud and Allison's wedding reception on Grace and Frankie, Allison's father was being his usual condescending, dismissive, jerk self to her mother.  She (the mom/jerk's wife), having quite enjoyed the open bar but not being sloppy drunk or anything like that, slammed her hand on the table when he tried to declare they were leaving, and delivered one of the greatest lines of the season:  "Shut the fuck up.  Shut all the way the fuck up, until you reach the top of Shut Fuck Mountain, where there are no more fuck ups to shut."

Edited by Bastet
  • LOL 10
  • Love 7
49 minutes ago, Bastet said:

"Shut the fuck up.  Shut all the way the fuck up, until you reach the top of Shut Fuck Mountain, where there are no more fuck ups to shut."

This is perfect and I need to find a way to work this into my everyday life. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 8

I'm a few months late (early?), but I've been thinking a lot about this awesome moment from one of my favorite versions of A Christmas Carol, the 1984 TV movie starring George C. Scott (one of the greatest Scrooges, even if he doesn't even attempt a British accent). We all know and love to hate Scrooge's infamous "[the poor] better die and decrease the surplus population" line. Well, it spectacularly comes back to bite him in the ass when he and the Ghost of Christmas Present are observing Bob Cratchitt's family dinner, and Scrooge asks about Tiny Tim's fate. 

Scrooge: Tell me, Spirit... Will he live?

Ghost of Christmas Present: I see an empty place at this table. I see a crutch without an owner, carefully preserved. If these shadows remain unaltered by the future, the child will die.

Ebenezer Scrooge: No. Say he'll be spared.

Ghost of Christmas Present: If these shadows remain unaltered by the future, none other of my species will find him here. But if he is to die, then let him die...! "AND DECREASE THE SURPLUS POPULATION!"

Ebenezer Scrooge: You use my own words against me?

Now, this is a famous exchange that is present in most adaptations, but in this version, they take it a step further. The Ghost of Christmas Present (brilliantly played by the late, great Edward Woodward), seamlessly drops his avuncular, Santa Claus-like persona, gets in Scrooge's face, and snarls out this verbal killing blow:

Ghost of Christmas Present: Yes! So perhaps, in the future, you will hold your tongue until you have discovered where the surplus population is, and WHO it is. It may well be that, in the sight of Heaven, you are more worthless and less fit to live than MILLIONS like this poor man's child!*

Not only is Woodward's delivery cutting and perfect, but this line feels more relevant than ever.

*Note: this line is actually in the book, just phrased slightly differently. Don't know why they don't include it in more adaptations.

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Love 14
1 hour ago, DollEyes said:

From the "Knight Of the Seven Kingdoms" episode of Game Of Thrones, the scene when Jaime knights Brienne was so "Hell, Yeah!" worthy that I cheered at the end.

Best moment of the season yet. I don't even like Jaime much less ship him with Brienne, but it made me emotional.

• Love 7
6 hours ago, Luckylyn said:

Game of Thrones  Arya Stark’s “Not today” knife flip

Lyanna Mormont vs. The Giant

Also Missandei's burn to Sansa when she's bitching about Dany: "Yes, without the Dragon Queen, we'd all be dead."

• Love 9

Here's a little HY from Smallville, when for one brief beautiful moment, Clark grew a spine:

I love that Clark holds his ground against Chloe and Lana's "yeah we trusted the Freak of the Week over you but it's really all your fault because secreth and lies" non-apology. I think more of this is directed at Lana than Chloe, since he and Chloe DID have one date but it's clear that he was sick of all the romantic drama. And I loooove that instead of brooding outside he just looks relieved while they're the ones left moping.

(Too bad it only lasted exactly one episode. Man of Steel my ass)

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Here's a little HY from Smallville, when for one brief beautiful moment, Clark grew a spine:

I love that Clark holds his ground against Chloe and Lana's "yeah we trusted the Freak of the Week over you but it's really all your fault because secreth and lies" non-apology. I think more of this is directed at Lana than Chloe, since he and Chloe DID have one date but it's clear that he was sick of all the romantic drama. And I loooove that instead of brooding outside he just looks relieved while they're the ones left moping.

(Too bad it only lasted exactly one episode. Man of Steel my ass)

I FUCKING LOVED this scene. Because for once, Clark was right: They both were acting as if Clark was the jealous boyfriend, and he wasn't. Chloe (as much as I loved her) kept telling him she was okay with being friends, and the less said about the Pink Pestilence that was Kreuk's Lana, the better. Did you know her parents were

pancaked and killed

by meteors?

It was so rare for Clark not to be the BDA TWoP*

*That would be Big Dumb Alien, not Big Dumb Ass, though that also applies.

• Love 4
(edited)
3 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I FUCKING LOVED this scene. Because for once, Clark was right: They both were acting as if Clark was the jealous boyfriend, and he wasn't. Chloe (as much as I loved her) kept telling him she was okay with being friends, and the less said about the Pink Pestilence that was Kreuk's Lana, the better. Did you know her parents were

Reveal spoiler

pancaked and killed

by meteors?

It was so rare for Clark not to be the BDA TWoP*

*That would be Big Dumb Alien, not Big Dumb Ass, though that also applies.

The show could have been SO MUCH BETTER if Clark really did move on with his life after that point, and date other girls that DID NOT turn out to be evil/crazy meteor freaks and/or fridged afterwards.  He should have been allowed take a good look around and enjoy being single minus the angst before the inevitable with Lois instead of just being hung up on the Pink Pestilence for 6/7 years.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 4

Rachel Chavkin's speech for Best Director Tony.

This part in particular:

“I wish I wasn’t the only woman directing a musical on Broadway this season. There’s so many women and artists of color ready to go. It’s a failure of imagination by a field whose job it is to imagine how the world could be.”

• Love 14

I'm glad they won.

But I can't stand Megan Rapinoe.  And has nothing to do with her being gay.  Has to do with her acting like the most arrogant, look at me, I'm the best athlete to come along in a long time. 

• Love 8
59 minutes ago, DrSpaceman said:

I'm glad they won.

But I can't stand Megan Rapinoe.  And has nothing to do with her being gay.  Has to do with her acting like the most arrogant, look at me, I'm the best athlete to come along in a long time. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for people acknowledging their skills and achievements.  Bragging doesn't bother me if there's something to back it up.  But that picture of her with her arms outspread is really douchey.

• Love 8
9 hours ago, Haleth said:

Somebody basically told her to put up or shut up and she sure put up.  She has a right to a smug pose.

I don't care if she's an excellent player, smug is always ugly.  See also, Cristiano Ronaldo.

• Love 5
11 hours ago, Haleth said:

Somebody basically told her to put up or shut up and she sure put up.  She has a right to a smug pose.

I don't deny her right to a smug pose.  I simply don't like the smug pose in question.

• Love 2
(edited)

From Hawaii Five-0 (2010 Reboot): In Episode 205, Maʻemaʻe (Clean), Kono has been set up as a participant in a then-still unsolved theft from the HPD’s Asset Forfeiture Locker (for which her fellow cop/Five-0 member/cousin, Chin Ho Kelly is also under suspicion as a participant). She’s also been kicked off of both the HPD & the Five-0 Task Force because of her alleged participation in this theft.

But this turns out to be a cover as Kono, unbeknownst to Five-0 Boss Lt. Cmdr. Steve McGarrett, has been “creatively & secretly acquired” by HPD Internal Affairs cop Lieutenant Vince Fryer to help him infiltrate (now that she’s dirty too) & bust a gang of dirty cops (with a threat that if Kono chooses not to participate, Fryer will go after the entire Five-0 task force). During the episode, when an action Kono takes against the dirty cops backfires, the remainder of Five-0 becomes aware of Kono’s participation in the undercover op & forces themselves on Fryer, Kono, & their undercover team, in order to assure Kono’s safety in the resolution of the op. Once the op is ended with most, if not all, of the dirty cops being apprehended &/or killed, there’s this really “HELL, YEAH!” scene between McGarrett & Fryer:

McGarrett: Hey, Fryer?

Fryer: Yeah?

McGarrett: Listen

(McGarrett punches Fryer in the face).

McGarrett: Nobody messes with my team, all right?

Fryer: (Licks the blood off his lip) Duly noted, Commander.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To remove a comment and fix spacing.
  • Love 4

The season 3 finale of She-Ra and the Princesses of Power (I know, I know, I normally hate reboots with a passion, but this one is all right).

Our heroine Adora is duking it out with her evil former friend Catra (who has literally caused the apocalypse). Catra is doing the insufferable villain thing of smugly accusing the hero of being responsible for everything that's gone wrong in the villain's life (um, Adora didn't cause the apocalypse, bitch), and is seriously handing Adora's ass to her. Adora, who has been betrayed, backstabbed, hurt, captured, and sabotaged by this treacherous monster, who has consistently tried to forgive Catra and give her another chance, finally-FINALLY- snaps and delivers this awesome kiss-off:

Catra: You broke the world and it is all your fault.

Adora: No, it's not. I didn't make you pull the switch. I didn't make you do anything. I didn't break the world! But I am going to fix it! And you? You made your choice.

(Catra snarls, then leaps to attack)

Adora: NOW LIVE WITH IT!

(Adora punches Catra in the face, knocking her out cold.)

Sigh, if only every villain could get that speech.

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Love 4

Beck's brief escape from the book cage in the season finale of You, calling Joe out on being a psycho entitled stalker who "violates the shit out of women" and uses his Nice Guy act as an excuse to kill the people who've looked down on him like Benji and Peach was GLORIOUS.

Unfortunately, as Beck learned the hard way, the better time and place for that speech was in a courtroom with Joe safely in handcuffs, and not wasting precious time better spent getting the hell out of there and calling the cops. So this is actually half a HY moment and half What An Idiot moment.

• Love 4

.Just finished watching one of my favorite Twilight Zone episodes, "The Obsolete Man", and it's a favorite because the entire freaking episode is a "Hell, yeah!" moment for Romney Woodsworth, and librarian/bookworm sorts in general. I love how he's in complete control throughout, from setting the terms of his death to the way he tricks the Chancellor into staying in the room with him to the way he openly taunts him, knowing people are watching at home (I especially love how he turns the "You're cheating the audience! You're not facing the camera!" taunt back on the Chancellor).

And then to top it all off, he manages to get the Chancellor to crumble simply by biding his time reading from his Bible as he patiently awaits what's coming. Proof you don't have to get physically aggressive to take down a scumbag. 

• Love 7

This is a weird choice, but bear with me, I've been on a nostalgia kick:

The episode "Race to the Finish" of Inspector Gadget has Gadget enter a race car match, oblivious that Dr. Claw is also competing to try and kill him. Penny spends the whole episode trying to warn him of the danger, and as usual Gadget ignores her, saying she's imagining it, etc. When the race is about to begin, the MAD agents flatten his tires, but Gadget doesn't notice. Penny tries to warn him, he ignores her, talks down to her, until the dumbass finally looks out and sees it for himself: "Wowsers, I'd better get out!"

And Penny glares at him and spits, "Good idea."

That's the only time I remember Penny ever getting fed up with his arrogant stupidity, and you know what? Good for her. She's entitled one snotty "I can't believe I'm related to this moron" moment after risking her life to save his butt a million times. Plus, he was really being a condescending ass to her in that episode, so that's a HY for me.

• Love 9
15 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

This is a weird choice, but bear with me, I've been on a nostalgia kick:

The episode "Race to the Finish" of Inspector Gadget has Gadget enter a race car match, oblivious that Dr. Claw is also competing to try and kill him. Penny spends the whole episode trying to warn him of the danger, and as usual Gadget ignores her, saying she's imagining it, etc. When the race is about to begin, the MAD agents flatten his tires, but Gadget doesn't notice. Penny tries to warn him, he ignores her, talks down to her, until the dumbass finally looks out and sees it for himself: "Wowsers, I'd better get out!"

And Penny glares at him and spits, "Good idea."

That's the only time I remember Penny ever getting fed up with his arrogant stupidity, and you know what? Good for her. She's entitled one snotty "I can't believe I'm related to this moron" moment after risking her life to save his butt a million times. Plus, he was really being a condescending ass to her in that episode, so that's a HY for me.

I know I'm giving away my age but before  Don Adams voiced Inspector Gadget, the iconic comic Scatman Crothers voiced Hong Kong Phooey . The latter also was supposedly a renowned martial arts master crime fighter but, in reality was a dog in a kimono and eye mask who constantly flubbed things up while eating up kudos for his alleged heroism . However, unknown to the rest of the world (or himself), it was his striped cat sidekick named Spot who saved the day! Alas, Spot could only mumble gibberish and the ONE time he DID openly vent over Phooey having blown things (when he locked the keys inside the car and they wound up having to PUSH his car down the highway the entire trek home from their vacation), he could only mumble. So, at least Penny WAS able to exactly tell Gadget off even if he never realized how much in his debt he truly WAS to her. I think Spot would have appreciated that!

• Love 5

So another weird choice for a HY moment I found in Inspector Gadget was in an episode called "The Amazon" where Gadget was informed MAD was going to kidnap his friend Professor von Slickstein.  He rushes off to the Gadgetmobile only to be attacked by Dr. Claw, who already has kidnapped the professor...and for once Gadget recognizes Dr. Claw's car, figures out what is going on and goes after him on a high speed car chase, and might have caught him if the MAD mobile hadn't turned into a jet and took off in the air.  I mean, even though he failed, it was kind of amazing to see Gadget be a competent and badass detective for once without any intervention from Penny and Brain.

• Love 4

Watching Designated Survivor:  FBI agent Hannah Wells works reluctantly with a British spy, begins an affair with him, then discovers that he may be double crossing her in her investigation. He sneaks into her apartment while she’s sleeping, then holds her at gunpoint. She’s pissed. He sits facing her, then places the gun next to her on the bed, saying he just wants to talk things through. When she (naturally) grabs the gun and points it at his head, he says, kind of smugly, “You’re not gonna shoot me.”  She pauses. Just when I start rolling my eyes at the inevitable she lets her guard down because chemistry/sex/stupidity and he gets the drop on her moment, she says, “You’re right, I’m not gonna shoot you,” and clocks him unconscious with the butt of the gun.  Next scene, he’s cuffed in an interrogation room. 
Love that character. 

• Love 7

WKRP in Cincinnati:  Being written in the 70s, there are a few things about the show that probably couldn't be aired today, but, since it's pride month and with the recent rulings, I was thinking about the episode where Les was banned from the men's locker room of the local sports team because a misunderstanding lead one player to think he was gay.  What I loved about that episode, is that Herb--the womanizer, the guy who thought he was hot stuff-- after a moment of "Umm...what?", came around and talked Les of the ledge saying that Les was his best friend and he needed to try to help, then telling Les basically if it's true, then so be it.  There were other things in that episode were problematic through today's lens, but I really appreciate that one moment being written in. 

• Love 13

From "Sundown," the first episode of Lovecraft Country, the HBO sci-fi period piece set in the 1950s with a predominantly Black cast,  the scenes when the protagonist Atticus, his Uncle George and Atticus' friend Leti were "rescued" from racist cops by vampire-like mole creatures, when Leti ran from one of them without slowing down or looking back like she was Usain Bolt.

Best of all was the scene earlier in the episode when before they escaped from another group of racists, Uncle George called Leti -who just rescued them-"girl" and she clapped back with "My name's not 'girl'; it's Leticia fucking Lewis." You go, girl!

• Love 6

In loving memory of Diana Rigg, the only moment of Game of Thrones I can fondly remember without any bitterness was Olenna revealing to Jaimie that she poisoned Joffrey right after she drunk the poison he gave her when she was sure she was safe from a slow torturous death. One last moment to rub it in their faces how stupid they are.

"Tell Cersei. I want her to know it was me."

• Love 16
4 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

In loving memory of Diana Rigg, the only moment of Game of Thrones I can fondly remember without any bitterness was Olenna revealing to Jaimie that she poisoned Joffrey right after she drunk the poison he gave her when she was sure she was safe from a slow torturous death. One last moment to rub it in their faces how stupid they are.

"Tell Cersei. I want her to know it was me."

While I don't share the bitterness about 99% of GOT (but don't get me started on how Jaime dies) - I can absolutely agree that this was a glorious moment.

• Love 7

Rewatching Friday Night Lights again, because why the hell not, and there's a moment I've gotta mention.  Landry kicking the field goal to give East Dillon the win over Dillon, and keeping Dillon out of the playoffs.  Coach Taylor was shoved out of Dillon and they redrew the district lines which cast out Landry, leading both of them to East Dillon.  Like Coach said, it was the wrong move for Dillon to listen to Joe McCoy, and Joe had to watch as East Dillon beat Dillon and his damn son.

• Love 5

Doug: Doug throws an "adult" party at his house, which his parents almost ruin by treating it like a kiddie party. Roger tries to "fix" it by sucking Doug and the others to a game of Truth or Dare, which ends with him daring Doug to steal Connie's hat and expose her botched haircut. Doug ultimately refuses to do it, so Roger does it. A humilated and enraged Connie screams, "WHY DON'T YOU GROW UP, YOU BIG BABY!" and socks him right in the stomach.

That was so great. Roger had it coming to him for a very long time.

• Love 3

I just caught one today:

I was watching the "Family Law" two parter, "Liars Club" on START and really got engrossed.  I didn't see much of this show when it first aired, but it's entertaining enough.  In these episodes, one of the law partners of the firm is trying to help a former client (who was a drug dealer but is trying to turn over a new leaf and go to college), but the client is being pressured by a federal attorney to be an informant and give up info about a Columbian drug lord.  His attorney fights to stop it, even though the fed keeps putting the screws on the kid and threatening to put him away in prison on drug charges.  After a bunch of legal issues, the kid is thinking about going along with the fed so he can be left alone and is compelled to wear a wire to entrap his attorney.  When a bit of advice is taken out of context, the fed arrests the lawyer and has him put in jail.  When the lawyer's partners take up his case to get him out, the fed insists the money they were paid with was from illicit sources so he gets the judge to freeze all their assets (business and personal) and they're all expected to live on air for the next 6 months until trial resumes to sort it out.  The fed obviously hopes this will break them and nearly does.  The lawyers don't even have money to pay for groceries!

The firm goes to another judge claiming that there is another legal loophole they can use to stop the fed by having HIS assets frozen and his car impounded.  Unfortunately, the judge's clerk contacts the fed and tells him what's about to go down so that gets squashed.  At last, the group meets in an emergency session with the judge and they reveal the fed gave up his immunity to prosecution by getting the info from the clerk instead of traditional means, so the firm initiate an injunction and tie HIS assets up for the next several months while getting their assets freed.  Suddenly the fed is upset since he had a kid in school and needs food, etc.  I cheered!!!  I loved it when that uppity fed got his just desserts!!  The firm agreed to call it off when the fed agreed to leave the kid alone to go on with his life.     

• Love 1
(edited)

From "The Jedi" episode of The Mandalorian, the live-action debut of Ahsoka Tano, played to perfection by Rosario Dawson, was a "Hell, yeah!" moment, from start to finish.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 4

The season 2 finale of The Mandolorian: 

LUKE SKYWALKER TO THE RESCUE! Taking out all the Darktroopers was just as awesome as that Vader scene in 

Rogue One albeit in a different way. I’ll forgive the awkward  deaging of Mark Hamill. Plus, R2 and Grogu! Squeee!

• Love 5