Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E07: Haute Tech Couture

yeswedo
  • Start Topic

Didn't this used to be a SEWING show?? Now it's just glue gun and putting crap on top of other crap. And didn't they use to go to go an actual fabric store and not the local dump? And there are no words to describe the atrocious hair on all the models? It just looks like greasy hair pulled into an "I don't care" ponytail. I will never buy Sally products-they look like crap!

The hair has been horrible this season.  We've had the extra greasy looking hair and enough high ponies to compete in dressage.  I think the problem is a mix of the stylists and the designers.  We haven't seen any particularly good suggestions from the stylists.  And we have seen designer after designer ask for a high pony.  They really need someone with a clue about hair.  

• Love 5

I am still wrecked after watching Jake's grief over his dog.  This loss strikes too close to home.  My mom died 9/16/2014, and my Westie, Tommy, was my best buddy through my loss and was always available for a cuddle when I needed companionship.  My dad then passed away 6/23/2015.  I was still struggling with losing my mom and wasn't up to the loss, but it's not as though there is any choice in this kind of matter. Unfortunately I had one more blow, which was the loss of my Tommy on 7/1/2015.  I lost three family members in around 9 month's time.  To listen to Jake's pain is more than I could handle.  I'm just glad that Jake made the decision to be with his beloved fur baby.

As to the rest of the episode, I'm still mystified as to why it was necessary to make the designers parade with shopping carts through the streets.  I get the homeless depiction, but I still can't understand why anyone thought this would enhance a reality competition.  Pushing the carts definitely threw Swapnil, and maybe that is when Swapnil hit a brick wall and just couldn't muster the energy to care about this particular challenge.  

• Love 11

I'm always curious how the producers cope when a contestant leaves unexpectedly.  Was there a challenge down the road where they planned to eliminate two people and now they'll just auf one?  Will they have a week in which nobody goes home?

I'm always curious how the producers cope when a contestant leaves unexpectedly.  Was there a challenge down the road where they planned to eliminate two people and now they'll just auf one?  Will they have a week in which nobody goes home?

Yes, expect an episode in the near future where all the designers come up with such amazing designs that the judges can't send anyone home.

• Love 2

I think they are always prepared to play fast and loose with the elimination order. Season 10 had 2 people quit in the same episode. They brought somebody back, had a non-elimination, AND had 4 people show at Fashion Week. Having the Tim Gunn save in the mix also essentially adds another person to the numbers. I'm too lazy to count the episodes forward, but I suspect they'll do solo eliminations until the end unless they have a Team Challenge planned and need to sustain even numbers for a particular week.

Edited by Oholibamah

Well, if next week is a team challenge, they couldn't ask for a better time for someone to leave on their own.  With nine people they can have 3 teams of 3, with eight people they can have 4 teams of 2.  I don't think Jake's exit terribly upset whatever their plan for next week is.

The sadness about Jake's dog having to be put down (I hope he made it home in time to say goodbye to his friend) reminded me of the distinct lack of Swatch this season. Boo!!!

Really.  We've only seen him once as far as I can remember.

• Love 3

Really. We've only seen him once as far as I can remember.

I'm pretty sure it's only been once--unless we saw him coming & going. They've only been to Mood once this season (for other challenges, Mood's apparently been sending a selection of fabric to the workroom), since they're apparently filming in Brooklyn instead of Manhattan this season (for whatever reason).

• Love 1

I'm... confused about the Swapnil stuff. Yes, his attitude this week wasn't great and his garment didn't work out, but the judges were talking like they have been thinking he's been phoning it in for a while. Zac even said something like "I'm getting tired of this with him." Which might make sense for someone perpetually in the bottom or even middle, but he is ALWAYS on the top. Yes, he's never won but a) there have been a number of times many people here on the boards thought he should have, and b) consistently being top 3 is pretty damn impressive in general, not something normally scoffed at. We've seen zero evidence of this storyline before, or the judges doing anything but loving Swapnil. Where did it come from?

As for his attitude, I thought he was edited to look very bad, with the emphasis on breaks and etc. And obviously he slacked off a bit too much this week. But honestly, I think the idea of conserving energy and ideas until later -- especially when your "60-80%" is constantly landing you at the top -- is actually a legitimate strategy. Project Runway is a marathon, you have to save some for the end.

Anyway, loved Kelly's look, glad she won!

ETA: Oh, and I was worried that after Jake left (sad about the dog, less sad about him leaving, he wasn't long for the competition) they'd bring Blake back. Glad that didn't happen!

I think this is brilliant and so well said. If Zac had some sort of problem with Swapi, it's odd we haven't heard about it before. Hoping they don't all jump on that bandwagon and judge his future creations with an attitude. He appears to be so talented.

• Love 3

I'm in the minority because I liked Paula P. as a judge, especially compared to that bitter broad who couldn't find much good to say even about the winning lingerie.

I like Edmund's designs and personality so much. Same with Swapi, for the most part. I like Ashley and most of her clothes, and love Kelly. Like the top three this week and hope Swapi impresses the judges next week.

I'm still celebrating the fact that Amanda is gone and Blake as well. She seemed delusional. Trying to understand how Blake won with that blue pup tent dress. I did think his analysis of Lindsey's clothes were accurate - that she's designing for someone who's reading a book at home on a Friday night. Her designs to me are a snooze fest.

I think maybe the others are kind of hit or miss at this point. I thought it was Joe's time to go, but could understand why Lindsey's was a close second.

I agree with those who say these people could use a trip to a fabric store v. what they've been doing. It would be great to see more of what they're capable of using things from the real world.

To those who asked about Jake's Greyhound, the dog was a rescue from Guam. Australia had sent and refused to take back the dogs from the Guam race track when they learned the track was closing. The dogs were being given away, set loose or tied outside, and they were dying. Certain US ex-racing Greyhound rescue groups brought the dogs here. We call them our Guamies. So good to see that this dog had such a loving home. It was heartbreaking to hear that Jake had to say goodbye. My thoughts are with the others here who are going through something similar...

• Love 3

In the context of unconventional materials, I came across this amazing designer from the Netherlands:

zyanyakeizer.com

What is interesting is to see her design being worn in (sort of) real life:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/you/article-3218183/Camilla-Kerslake-dating-England-rugby-captain-Chris-Robshaw-signed-Gary-Barlow-fighting-breast-cancer-humour.html

Compare that with Laurie's flapping mouse-mats ....

The article you linked is about a singer called Camilla Kerslake, not the designer.  Is the look you want us to see the first picture in that article?

Edited by WearyTraveler

In the context of unconventional materials, I came across this amazing designer from the Netherlands:

zyanyakeizer.com

What is interesting is to see her design being worn in (sort of) real life:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/you/article-3218183/Camilla-Kerslake-dating-England-rugby-captain-Chris-Robshaw-signed-Gary-Barlow-fighting-breast-cancer-humour.html

Compare that with Laurie's flapping mouse-mats ....

Love that it's actually a coat dress.

• Love 2

That designer's work is nothing like the crap we see on PR. The unconventional materials challenge has basically become Project Crafts where the designers just hot glue a bunch of shit together and hope it doesn't fall apart on the runway. I know time is a factor, but it mostly takes vision and creativity. If you guys think about it, most of the crap these designers come up with don't take more than an hour to execute. The rest of it is just them wafting around and complaining how difficult it is and then taking multiple smoke breaks. PR is now just circling the drains in terms of caliber of the talent.

The article you linked is about a singer called Camilla Kerslake, not the designer.  Is the look you want us to see the first picture in that article?

Yes, exactly, Weary. Camilla Kerslake is wearing the coat dress for the photo-shoot and looking super - while the pic on the designer's site would make me, at least, think it was unwearable avant garde/unconventional materials. It brought to mind Jeffrey Sebelia's PRAS outfit with the mask/hood thing that he fought for.

I thought the other clothes on Zyanya's web site were amazing too

Finally got to watch this tonight (the abbreviated version before the first run broadcast. I haven't read the whole thread yet but...

I have a soft spot for Kelly (and tend to feel Ashley is overpraised) but to me this one was clearly Ashley's win. I loved that Kelly used something different than anyone else, but I (for once) really wanted this one to go to Ashley. I can't get TOO upset about it though... it was nice to see Kelly growing and getting recognition.

I also liked Lindsey's far more than the judges did.. it had a specific feel of "feminine and delicate" which was tricky to pull off with the available materials.

Swapnil's looked like a nightmare version of his bra from last week. Did he miss the part where Tim said it was supposed to be WEARABLE?

She really annoyed me when she kept talking about the vagina wires on Joseph's dress.  The wires were on the hem, at her knees.  Is that where your vagina is Candace?

Well, we all know from previous episodes and comments that the vagina is somewhere on the outside... and apparently hanging down.

• Love 1

smokers have to be cast as evil, less-than, type of people. We are the last group that can be shamed.

Except Atheists.

I sympathize with Jake and his pup, but isn't he from CA? It seems odd that he could actually make arrangements, get a flight and get home in time to actually be there if his dog is in that bad shape. Especially if he didn't leave right away and hung out for awhile before talking to Tim.

Also, don't they make eliminated designers stay until after fashion week or after the episode of them leaving airs or something? (I'm remembering that designed who bolted in the middle of the night a few years back, so she wouldn't have to stay in the "auf'ed" housing). Obviously they made an exception fro Jake, but how did they keep it completely under wraps? Or was it that no one cared since there was no chance of him winning, so it didn't need to be secret that he was gone?

Edited by slothgirl

I am still wrecked after watching Jake's grief over his dog.  This loss strikes too close to home.  My mom died 9/16/2014, and my Westie, Tommy, was my best buddy through my loss and was always available for a cuddle when I needed companionship.  My dad then passed away 6/23/2015.  I was still struggling with losing my mom and wasn't up to the loss, but it's not as though there is any choice in this kind of matter. Unfortunately I had one more blow, which was the loss of my Tommy on 7/1/2015.  I lost three family members in around 9 month's time.  To listen to Jake's pain is more than I could handle.  I'm just glad that Jake made the decision to be with his beloved fur baby.

Awwww Treehugger. :( I'm so sorry you went thru so much with your losses.  My heart goes out to you. 

Back in 2010 I lost both my beloved Mom and Labrador Retriever so I understand the heartbreak.

Hope you're on the road to healing.  ***Hugs****

I sobbed when Jake was telling Tim about his doggie.  

Team Kelly from here on out  ! But I love Swap's work too.