Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E07: Haute Tech Couture

yeswedo
  • Start Topic

I sobbed when Jake was talking about his beloved baby and they showed the film of them together. I totally disagree with whomever said he might have stayed had he been doing better in the competition; no offense at all, please, but he seemed genuinely gutted and I applaud that he wanted to be there for his family member. You could tell he really loves that dog.

Completely agree with all of this. I'm just sitting here eating lunch next to my doggie and that comes out of Jake's mouth, and I just start sobbing. For like 15 minutes. It was not what I expected was going to happen while watching Project Runway. Poor guy; I feel for him. And then I gave my baby a gigantic hug. I really can't think about it at all because I'll lose my mind.

Tim's reaction was also very genuine. 

• Love 20

I knew from day 1 that Lindsay would not appeal to the judges. Everything she showed during her audition is something I would wear, and I'm the most middle of the road, unadventurous dresser ever. She designs well-constructed clothes for the preppy everywoman. She does not design for red carpet glamazons or edgy outsiders, which are the two aesthetics the judges like consistently.

The interesting thing for me about Lindsay is that she talks about the judges not liking her designs, but she hasn't (that I can recall) questioned her own talent just her ability to give them what they want.   That's either confidence in one's own ability or some special snowflake-ness.    We've seen a long series of designers over the seasons of this show who made/make perfectly nice and well made every day clothes.  Those folks go home either early or in the middle each time.  The judges have been looking for a designer who stands out with their own style and who can made interesting clothes in a variety of challenges.  That's one of the reasons Joseph was doomed.  He makes lovely dresses for a specific audience, just as you've pointed out Lindsey does.  He wasn't able to adapt to the challenges or stretch himself.  Lindsay is a bit better than him in that respect, but her comfort zone is a little closer to the judges than his is.   She's designing for younger women.   Lindsay (and Joseph) makes nice clothes.  She doesn't seem capable of stretching beyond her zone, though.  I bet the avant gard challenge does her in, if she lasts that long.

On another subject, it's been bugging me all day, but I finally remembered which science fiction show Kelly's dress brought to mind.  UFO.  OMG, there was a character named Gay Ellis who if I recall correctly was always in either a silver mini dress or a silver jumpsuit.  Kelly's outfit would fit nicely in her closet, maybe as the outfit she wears out after work.

Edited by terrymct
  • Love 2

From Sarah's recap, regarding Joseph's design:

You could argue that it's not as bad as Swapnil's, but that he's unfamiliar with "sexy" or more revealing shapes is evident from the muslinning stage; the bustline is like two hotel-banquet-room chairs fighting.

Two hotel banquet room chairs fighting. That is an awesome description. Love it! (And it's totally accurate - I can SEE it. LOL.)

Edited by sinkwriter
  • Love 6

IMO, the very worst outfit was that monstrosity by Merline made out of spongy gray mouse pads that she stamped with some kind of awful black paint! I wouldn't even wear that thing as a Halloween costume! She's damn lucky that she had immunity. I was surprised that they didn't call her out on it anyway, like they did with Ashley when she had immunity and screwed up the next challenge.

Wasn't this Laurie's dress? She used gray mouse pads and painted black on the ones used for the skirt.  I don't think Merline used mouse pads.

wow, loosing Jake and Joseph ...  Christmas has come early this year.

Paula was pretty lame as a guest judge.

Didn't Ashley do a similar top for the Mary Kay challenge already? apart from the Polaroids I was not impressed. Kelly's I liked and I think her personality is a breath of fresh air for this format. Why Joseph was in the top is beyond me.

Joseph was not in the top. He was eliminated.

• Love 1

MO, the very worst outfit was that monstrosity by Merline made out of spongy gray mouse pads that she stamped with some kind of awful black paint! I wouldn't even wear that thing as a Halloween costume! She's damn lucky that she had immunity. I was surprised that they didn't call her out on it anyway, like they did with Ashley when she had immunity and screwed up the next challenge.

Wasn't this Laurie's dress?

Yes, that was Laurie's dress and I agree that it was awful.  To me it was the worst.  I think Laurie got a pass because most of her other designs have been OK.  Agree with Sarah Bunting that Joe's problem wasn't that his dress was the worst, but that the dress was the best he was going to be able to do.  But I wasn't crazy about ANY of the mousepad dresses for that matter. Once upon a time all the designers that used the mousepads would have been dinged for using something too much like fabric.  The judges were right in criticizing Swapnil's use of muslin for his bottom, but the sad part is that if he'd just used fucking MOUSEPADS they would have been fine with it.

And speaking of PR devolution:  it's NOT the Unconventional Challenge. It's the

UNCONVENTIONAL MATERIALS CHALLENGE!! UNCONVENTIONAL MATERIALS CHALLENGE!!  UNCONVENTIONAL MATERIALS CHALLENGE!

*banging my head against the wall over and over*

To make it worse it's not just Heidi saying it now it's in the network episode bug in the lower righthand corner.  Jesus christ on a cracker.  ALL the challenges are unconventional since it's a TV GAME SHOW, with artificial limits on time and materials and budget.  But they're not all unconventional MATERIALS challenges.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 7

I thought Ashley should have won. The shape of the dress was just stunning & it fit like a dream. I was waiting for Zac Posen to ask the model to do a little twirl. The silver dress was well made, but I feel like I've seen it before.

From other posts I thought I was the only one who thought Ashley should have one. I liked Kelly's but it was a bit too much for me. Too silver, too short and I also got deja-vu like something almost the same had been done in the past. But you know Heidi has clothes ADD if it is short and sparkly she is fixated on it!

Had to add Merline you are so lucky you had immunity. Wish they would have told her that because her dress was a big blob of fugly!

Edited by Texasmom1970
  • Love 3

Forgot to mention the bit that made me laugh out loud this episode: When they were all talking about the materials and Merline complained that she felt old because she knew what floppy discs were.

PLEASE.

I'M old because I remember when floppy discs were actually FLOPPY.

• Love 21

If Jake's dog was an older rescue greyhound, they are prone to bone cancer. We had to say goodbye to our beloved Ziva for this reason over a year ago, and the week between diagnosis and euthanasia was the worst seven days of my life. I don't remember ANYTHING else that happened during that time (except that all six kids managed to make it home for dinner to say farewell on her last night), so I can fully relate to Jake's need to leave PR for his real life.

• Love 15

Candice bugs me more each week. She may be talented, but not THE most talented in this group IMO. Her dress this week looked similar to something else she's already done (and ditto whoever said cobalt blue/black combo is sooo '80's).  I think the thing that irks me most about Candice is that she acts as if she's already won a season of PR before, and is now here as a mentor to guide these poor, misfortunate, less in-the-know newbiesthrough the process.  She really thinks she knows it all and I'm tired of her TH's and her one on one scenes with other designers with her analysis of other people's situations. 

Lindsay is circling the drain.  I don't have a problem with her or her designs.  She does basic, casual stuff that is appealing and commercial.  Designers like Lidsay are who fill the junior dpt racks at Macys, Penneys, Abercrombie, Gap etc.  And she does look more like Taylor Swift each week!  I don't know if she has anything new or edgy to offer.  I don't think Nina wants to see basics & Lindsay doesn't seem to do "short 'n shiny" so she has nothing to offer Heidi.

I did like Ashley's dress a lot & I'm glad the judges are responding positively to her stuff.  I liked Kelly's too.  Like one of the judges said, she has been refining her stuff each week and that's a good thing.  On a shallow note - I really want the hair and make up people to ambush her and give her a refresh.  The 1983 Boy George/Cyndi Lauper look needs to be retired.

• Love 9

The 1983 Boy George/Cyndi Lauper look needs to be retired.

Do you see many people rocking this look?  I sure don't .   I kind of love this about her - it's  common for fashion folks to be in love with a certain retro period and Kelly's is more unique than Candace's version of retro, for example.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 9

After all these seasons, I wish they would get rid of immunity.  It just seems that when a designer has immunity, they skate that next week and just phone it in.  We've seen that quite a bit lately.  Ashley's design sucked the week she had immunity and Merline did the same this week.  

I wondered if Swapnil's attitude was a lot of "creative" editing?  He never appeared to be this arrogant before.  I do agree with the whole smoking bit.  He needs to stop, but in India, smoking is very prevalent.  

• Love 3

I thought Ashley's was good, but not orgasmic the way the judges gushed, especially for a non-winning look. Was surprised Kelly won, though I like her. I really, really dislike Candice though not as much as that horrible girl last year (Katrina?? What was her name...rudest one ever.) Am losing interest in Swapnil. I like Edmundo (Edwardo? Lol bad with names) the best, though did not like the look much at second glance, looked like he left the hanger in.

But again...I am an anti-fan of the unconventional materials challenge, always have been. I want to see clothes made out of lush, beautiful fabrics chosen by the designers. Fabric selection is not given enough importance on this show, considering it is basically everything, when it comes to buying clothes.

• Love 4

Regardless of how the producers edited his actions, when I looked at Swapnil I just saw someone who hit the wall this week and just did not have the energy to do his best work.  They are all sleep deprived and working under intense pressure. Each one deals with that in a different way. Why should he care what the judges think when they have made some pretty spectacular mistakes (in my opinion) recently in picking a challenge winner.

• Love 9

After all these seasons, I wish they would get rid of immunity.  It just seems that when a designer has immunity, they skate that next week and just phone it in.  We've seen that quite a bit lately.  Ashley's design sucked the week she had immunity and Merline did the same this week.

I didn't see that about Merline. She seemed to want to go crazy and have a little fun with it because she knew she could do whatever she wanted and still be safe. I don't think the look was successful, but I don't think she phoned it in. She did try.

• Love 11

Ugh. I hear you on that, atir. 

In fact, I was really wishing that Merline had told them to go all crazy with her model's hair, instead of that lame, slicked-back ponytail. If she was trying to be crazy with her outfit, she really should have had hair and makeup to match it. Just go with it and be over-the-top!

Instead, each week they all pick that straight-down hair or slick ponytail. Bleh. Is this all that Sally Beauty can provide with its products they keep trying to insert into the conversation so ridiculously?

• Love 3
I don't mind a season taking forever to finish, because, really, what am I going to watch when it's done?  ;-)

Project Runway Juniors, of course! I can't wait! (Said no one, ever.)

Why are Edmond's keys good but Lindsay's bad?

Because his were glued on upside down, which makes it unconventional genius! [/sarcasm]

Mouse pads are ok, but CD sleeves are not creative.

That CD sleeve skirt reminded me of the flaps on Korina's skirt for the American Girl challenge.

On an unrelated note--Rachel Zoe has a talk show? Ugh. I'd rather gouge my eyeballs out with a melon baller than watch that crap.

Suffering through those commercials each week is the worst part of the PR experience. Who is looking for Rachel Zoe to be a personality? On her last show she was just an angsty drama queen every minute. Who wants more of that? The commercials are trying way too hard to make her and her entourage seem clever and fun and it just is not working. They're making me like her even less, and I didn't think that was possible.

I finally remembered which science fiction show Kelly's dress brought to mind

It was funny when Tim mentioned the "Danger Will Robinson" robot. You know Kelly had no idea what he was talking about.

• Love 12

I like Paula Patton, but she was not a good guest judge.  It was nice that she was kind to the designers, but her critiques lacked depth.  Also, for this challenge, the top 3 designs were rightly in the top and Kelly's deserved to win.  Ashley is my favorite designer.  Ashley's designs are the most unique, but she is immature.  Edmond is my 2nd favorite.  He is the sweetest person, but his designs could be more original.  I am guessing that Swapnil will win because he is the perfect mixture of Ashley and Edmond. 

Why are Edmond's keys good but Lindsay's bad?

I'm guessing it was because his were in a strategic and unique pattern while hers were all over the entire bodice which (to the judges, at least) didn't seem to require as much thought or cleverness. For the record, I thought Lindsay's outfit looked nice. But they were right that it was boring. At least Edmond's had a unique take, not just using them upside down but also in an unusual layout.

• Love 1

Why should he care what the judges think when they have made some pretty spectacular mistakes (in my opinion) recently in picking a challenge winner.

Because he entered into the competition presumably to win and the judges pick the winner?

I really thought Edmund's sleeves were awful and the neckline way too open and can't fathom how he wound up in the top three this week.

• Love 5

I freaking WISH they would send the designers to Mood and give them a challenge in which they use real materials and make something a real human woman (or at least a couture runway model) might wear.  I'm so sick of the gimmicky crap we're seeing, I almost screamed when I saw they are doing some costume nonsense again.  

I really hated what Edmond made this week, almost as much as what Candace made (aren't we ever getting past that lame goth-bondage thing?).  I think Candace is a one-trick pony and irritating as hell.  I liked Kelly's and Ashley's looks, but neither of them seemed particularly original to me.  

Am I the only one who thinks Swapnil might be smoking something other than tobacco?  His eyes looked pretty red towards the end of the episode and he does some goofy giggly kind of stuff in the workroom.  Could just be fatigue, I guess.

• Love 3

[snipped bits]  

. . . I was really wishing that Merline had told them to go all crazy with her model's hair, instead of that lame, slicked-back ponytail. If she was trying to be crazy with her outfit, she really should have had hair and makeup to match it. Just go with it and be over-the-top!

Instead, each week they all pick that straight-down hair or slick ponytail. Bleh. Is this all that Sally Beauty can provide with its products they keep trying to insert into the conversation so ridiculously?

Perhaps they're cutting out the part of the consultation where the Sally Beauty consultant says, "well, we could try that, but it will probably look terrible if I can only use the stuff we're shilling. How about we do something sleek instead? Or beachy waves. I think I can make beachy waves with this stuff."

• Love 7

Just to clarify, I don't hate Swapnil because he smokes. But I am no longer romantically in love with him because of same. I'm sure that will be a great blow to him, so I hope he can recover and move on.

I still think he will either be in the finale or very close unless Zac decides to make up more interesting scenarios about how Swappy has been skating, coasting, or otherwise phoning it in.

I'm okay with Edmund being in the top, but oh lordy, I did so hate those sleeves. Nina thought they were current and I thought they looked like something that would have been on the Carol Burnette show (Scarlet O'hara anyone)?

I agree with the sentiment on immunity. Either don't give it OR don't bitch when they fail madly on the next challenge.

• Love 8

How on earth did merlines ugly, not well made costumey piece get rated safe? To me that was far and away the worst.

Tim gunn has become the judges shill... He began to stick up for swap il only to then vehemently agree that's why it's frustrating,

I mean, I'm trying to forget about under the gunn and all, but this stuff brings me back.

My cat Lucy died of a heart attack or something weird and sudden while I was on vacation in 2014. I cried myself to sleep every night for months, she is the the cat in my profile pic and my profile name is she. :(

• Love 14

Well, what is the budget for this show?  When I saw the crooked, cardboard signs on their shopping carts, I figured it must be about 5 dollars.

I think that was done intentionally ...  along with making them walk back to the studio ... to make them look like a bunch of homeless people. Just odd.

I liked Kelly's dress because it met the challenge of taking the source material and making it into something completely different. I also liked Ashley's because it was creative and whimsical. I thought Lindsey's use of the keyboard keys was much better than Edmond's.  If that had been turned into a printed fabric, it would've make a cute top. I didn't think the skirt looked like a shower curtain until the judges described it that way. It was still better than mouse pads though.

If anyone is fantasizing about Swapnil ... just imagine he's a non-smoker. :) 

As an extreme animal lover (I run a non-profit animal rescue) I applaud Jake for leaving to be with his precious dog who'd been by his side through the death of his parents. That dog is obviously his baby and it was the right thing to do. I agree with those of you who said I think he still would've left even if he was on-track to win.   

Edited by Feline Goddess
  • Love 11

"Like someone else said, Swapnil's smoking didn't surprise me and doesn't make me like him less. Until smell-o-vision comes into being, that is. His outfit this week was just sad. Not sure if more time would have helped, since he procrastinated (or was edited to leave that impression) so much."

Yes, it's too bad that Swapnil smokes. Boo hoo. He is still young. I smoked until age 45 when I finally mustered up the gumption to quit. Quitting is hard, believe me.

If Swapnil had created a fabulous skirt to go with his sculptured wire top, I think he would have won hands down. But for whatever reason, he seemed a little out of it last night.

• Love 1

SHOCKED that the show had the rare restraint to not air any of the sarcastic or critical comments they certainly must have milked out of at least a FEW of the hamsters about the "leaving for the dog" thing. I mean I'm realistic enough to know the show DID probably push for those comments, but common sense must have eventually ruled in the editing room.

Glad Kelly got the win for real outside-the-box thinking with those tubes.  Best of an ok runway.

Happiest that Jake opted to  go home to be with his dog.  I remember getting to the decision it was Morty's time to go and there is no way I would have missed his last week.  He passed in my arms and, as morbid as that may be to some, it was the only way I wanted him to go.  Then, I sat Shiva and gave him an Irish wake (mixed religion household).  Dogs are amazing and ask little from us.

• Love 20

I sat and sobbed during the Jake and his dog storyline. My 11 1/2 year old basset is my baby and the thought of life without her is devastating. Good on Jake for realizing what's important in life. My only surprise is that he waited that long to tell Tim--2 seconds after the phone call I would have been out of there and headed home.  

Surprised that Ashley didn't rip out the tape from the VHS and do a little weaving--thought for sure that was the direction she'd go.

AND, happy so many of you are giving up Swapnil as your tv boyfriend because of the smoking. Less competition for me.

Edited by Tess23
  • Love 10
My only surprise is that he waited that long to tell Tim--2 seconds after the phone call I would have been out of there and headed home.

I know I am making my own assumptions here, but I thought it was because he was still processing the information and rehearsing in his head how he was going to verbalize (aka admitting out loud and making it real) that he had to put his dog to sleep. He looked like he was in a daze all morning so I think he was just walking around in a fog and in his own head about the whole situation, trying to come to grips with it before he had to tell anyone. And maybe he was also trying to figure out if there was a way for him to go home without having to explain on camera. I know this will sound vein, but I know if I had to tell someone about my dog dying, I would be a mess with ugly crying and that is not something I would want immortalized on tv/youtube/gifs forever.

• Love 11

It also seemed to me that he expected the argument -it's only a dog-, I think I heard him say several times something like 'and I know people will say...' so he was getting ready for that kind of argument.

• Love 8

I am cynical and wonder if producers made Jake stick around to get it on camera. I would have left immediately too.

I would have liked Lindsay's dress more if she had written out words with the keys rather than the random distribution. Maybe not all words but like the word find puzzles? Something to add another layer of thought.

• Love 2

Poor Jake.  I feel so bad for him and his beautiful dog.  He made the only right decision in this case and I'm glad he got so much support for leaving to be with his buddy.  I can think of a few past seasons where the contestants would not have been so kind and understanding.  Like some other posters, the low drama vibe this season has been refreshing.

I also feel bad for Lindsey.  Realizing that your work is unappreciated and not likely to ever please your audience is a very shitty feeling.

I did think Lindsey's dress was dull, but not as dull as Joseph's. What did Lindsey say about the judging while the were in the waiting area after the critique? I got a phone call during that bit.

She basically said that the judges didn't like any of her work so far, and probably wouldn't ever like anything she did.  She was pretty dejected.

I was unable to watch the full episode last night. Who dropped out of the competition and why? Who got voted off last night? Thanks, guys. My cat is at death's door, so I can't read thru all the comments right now.

People already answered, but I wanted to say sorry about your kitty.  :-(

My little cat has cancer.  In honor of Jake's best friend, I'm giving Larry an extra hug today.

Your poor kitty.  I'm so sorry.  My fur babies will get an extra hug today in honor of your Larry.

Edited by Kitty Redstone
  • Love 8
It also seemed to me that he expected the argument -it's only a dog-, I think I heard him say several times something like 'and I know people will say...' so he was getting ready for that kind of argument.

I was really glad that no one said that later in the talking heads. I thought that at least one person would say that he was giving up a huge opportunity for "just a dog" or something similar so, like Jake, I was already gearing up to have to refute that statement. It really got me when he and Tim were talking about the unconditional love that pets give you. Fuck, I just started tearing up thinking about while I was typing that.

I know this will sound morbid but when I got my dog, I already knew how his life would end - with me petting him and telling him how much we all loved him while he was put to sleep. I wanted him to be surrounded with kind words and love and affection as he fell asleep peacefully. Years later when he got sick, I got a phone call from the vet saying there was nothing more they could do for him. I was upset (and even more upset at knowing I had to tell the rest of my family) but I thought okay, we will gather everyone together, take him to the vet, and let him go peacefully. So imagine how distraught I was when I walked downstairs right after getting this phone call and found him already dead. I felt like I had failed him, letting him die alone and possibly in pain. And the worst part was knowing that I was right there in the house when it happened. Instead of being with him, I was upstairs on the phone with the vet when I should have been downstairs with him the moment that it happened.

A friend of mine recently had to put her cat to sleep. She knew he was very sick but every time he showed the tiniest bit of improvement, she said she was going to try to hold out hope. I was like no, as much as you want to believe he will get better or die naturally in his sleep, make the choice and let him go so that you can definitely be there with him when it happens or you may be wracked with guilt afterward.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 14

After decades of experience watching reality TV we should all be extremely wary of how any contestant is presented to the viewers. It's not at all difficult to hide certain behaviors from the audience as evidenced by the revelation of Swapnil's smoking this episode. Perhaps Zac did have a running criticism over a few weeks, but it simply wasn't shown to us until now. The sudden change to a unsympathetic edit is a bit perplexing, but I highly doubt we'll ever learn the truth behind these situations.

Basically I don't trust any version of the contestants that we get to see. It's just as easy to cut out unflattering footage as it is to include it. I wouldn't even put it past them to splice together the audio recordings if the contestants don't actually say what the producers want them to say.

• Love 6

This season is providing terrible advertising for Sally Beauty hair products.  No matter what product they use, the hair all looks the same.  Why bother buying any of that stuff?  Either it doesn't work, or the stylists they have don't know what they are doing.

I thought it was unfair of the judges to criticize Lindsey for using CD sleeves.  It didn't look like there was anything but that or mouse pads that would give a garment any structure if they designer didn't want to just glue stuff on muslin.  Anyone who doesn't resort to that gets points from me.

• Love 4

I think I've said this before, but I can't remember.

I still like most of these designers way more than the ones from last season. I'm enjoying this season so much more than 13. I almost quit after that one.

We'll probably never see another runway show like Jay McCarroll's. Probably never another prodigy like Christian Siriano. Probably won't ever have another contestant as talented and likeable as both Seth Aaron AND our beloved Dmitry. But compared to last year, this season rocks, even including Princess Blake and Joseph.

Edited by PepperMonkey
  • Love 13

I was unable to watch the full episode last night. Who dropped out of the competition and why? Who got voted off last night? Thanks, guys. My cat is at death's door, so I can't read thru all the comments right now.

So sorry to hear about your cat. Me and my two kitties are sending love and prayers your way.

Happy that Kelly won. I like Ashley but didn't much care for her outfit. I'm one of those who is tired of just gluing shit on muslin. If that's all the designers are going to do, then I've had enough of the unconventional material challenges.

• Love 5

I am cynical and wonder if producers made Jake stick around to get it on camera. I would have left immediately too.

I would have liked Lindsay's dress more if she had written out words with the keys rather than the random distribution. Maybe not all words but like the word find puzzles? Something to add another layer of thought.

The other direction for cynical thinking could be that he wanted it "on record" why he was leaving so the show couldn't manipulate it.

He didn't seem to be pandering for sympathy--that would be even MORE cynical thinking if it seemed he was. But getting it "on tape" and praying the producers actually used the footage sounds very possible.

Again, I am amazed that they didn't air all kinds of clips of the others rolling their eyes in Talking Heads and/or around the workroom, and then (equally inevitably) one of them in the Talking Heads taking the "I understand, and despise the (mean girl) others for talking shit about this in the workroom" angle.  You KNOW that footage exists (because the producers ARE inherently evil and certainly at the time pulled those comments out of people)--and SOME form of it could have been even further manipulated in what aired, if they wanted to.

• Love 2

I am wondering if something is going on with Swapnil that the judges see but we haven't seen. Maybe he has made arrogant comments in from of them or Tim? I just found the whole turn around on him to be very odd. I like him in general, but his outfit looked like the tangle of wires behind an old TV which is what Heidi said. I continue to like Heidi and think she has a good eye for fashion. Sure, she personally likes shiny dresses, but not only shiny dresses win. 

I agree with some of the others who think this is a good group of designers in general. I like Edmund for his cool laid back personality and most of his designs and Ashley and Swapnil have some great designs under their belts too.

• Love 2

Am I the only one who thinks Swapnil might be smoking something other than tobacco?  His eyes looked pretty red towards the end of the episode and he does some goofy giggly kind of stuff in the workroom.  Could just be fatigue, I guess.

Possible, but perhaps he's not cleaning those gray contacts properly, or is leaving them in too long. I'd go with "fatigue" for both the red eyes and the goofiness -- though he seems to be pretty good-humored in general.

Speaking of good humor, Edmund is really a breath of fresh air. He's finally gotten his shot, and he sure seems to be loving every minute of it, working hard without drama and angst. He's a joy to watch.

• Love 8

I think I've said this before, but I can't remember.

I still like most of these designers way more than the ones from last season. I'm enjoying this season so much more than 13. I almost quit after that one.

We'll probably never see another runway show like Jay McCarroll's. Probably never another prodigy like Christian Siriano. Probably won't ever have another contestant as talented and likeable as both Seth Aaron AND our beloved Dmitry. But compared to last year, this season rocks, even including Princess Blake and Joseph.

This season is underwhelming but I know I agree with you because I literally remember nothing and no one about last season. Or the season before, etc.

• Love 2

I am wondering if something is going on with Swapnil that the judges see but we haven't seen. Maybe he has made arrogant comments in from of them or Tim? I just found the whole turn around on him to be very odd.

I feel like if Swapnil had said a lot of arrogant comments in front of the judges we would have seen them before now. I would think they would have included them and possibly give him a villain edit in earlier episodes if he was that arrogant, especially with the judges. We all know a reality show loves a villain. I also wonder why the editors would not show Zac critiquing Swapnil in an earlier episode, if they were going to use him saying that "he was tired of this with him" in this episode. It might have given some context to Zac's comments. Swapnil has been pretty consistently in the top (not sure about the first challenge), so I wonder what he would say on the runway that would be so bad. I do not think I have ever seen anyone be belligerent with the judges when they were in the top. I would hope most contestants would nod their head and say "thank you" a lot  and basically be professional if they were in the top three. I know we do not see all the judging, but I would also think that Swapnil would not be mentioning his only trying to stay safe theory with the judges. I do not know, but the comments from Zac seemed to be out of nowhere.

I really wish they would give more time with the challenges in general, but especially the unconventional materials challenges. I think we might see less of gluing stuff to muslin if that was the case.

Edited by Misslindsey
  • Love 4

After - what? 6 or 7 eliminations - they have only gone to Mood once?  What's up with that???  I have not really liked the challenges that the designers have been given. Even the unconventional challenge(s).  I remember Korto's  (sp?) beautiful coat made out of car seat belts!!  It was just gorgeous.  Or the one where they had jean pants and jackets - (I think it was Cristian S. season) - some of the designs were great!  Or making outfits out of newspapers - even then there were some inspiring designs.  Now - trash???

I was disappointed with Swapnil but maybe he is just tired.  He has been in the top three consistently even though he has not won. I thought Zac's comment came out of left field.

I liked Ashley's the best - I could see my nieces in that outfit.  I liked Kelly's too but it seemed made just for Heidi (but if she wants to win, she needed to gear what she makes toward Heidi).  I liked Edmond's too - just hated the shoulder/sleeves.

Since next week seems to be based on "Finding Neverland", I doubt that they will go to Mood.

• Love 3