Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E03: We Are All One-Sie

Caroline Stanbury mentors Julie about the health-food business, much to Julie's chagrin. Meanwhile, the London ladies celebrate New Year's Eve at a top-tier hotel, but Caroline Stanbury's outrageous behavior cuts the party short and pushes Juliet and Julie to the breaking point.

Julie Montagu is coming apart at the seams.  Yikes.

Juliet's husband looks to be completely over it.  Maybe he is just introverted or something?  He seemed annoyed to be hosting these assholes while his wife was in the bathroom.

Caroline S. is a bitch but at times she's funny.  I think she ignored her business woes until it was impossible to do so, and now it is all crashing down around her. 

Marissa should be happy that she was even invited to the NYE party after the Christmas debacle.  Juliet is clearly the bigger person here.

Caroline F. is an odd addition.  She doesn't really fit in and seems to just ...be there.  Caroline S. seems to be the only person who knows her but can't be bothered.  She is however very bothered by the fact that Juliet is being nice to Caroline F.  That seems to irk her.

• Love 6

"JUB balls", "Bumpkin" - these gals need to learn how to name things, because they are not doing it right.  Ditto with their fancy outfits - could they BE any uglier?  Annabelle and Marissa, I'm talking to you especially.  Julie and Juliet's were just stupid (yes, metallic arm tattoos last seen on Aubrey O'Day, I'm talking to you, as well as your dumb looking dresses.)  But as I said in a previous post, there are some women who just can't release the trailer park aura, and those gals are it.  Caroine S is a bitch but I do sense she is "playing her part" so while I don't exactly like her, I can't hate her either.  And I think she was the only one who looked nice on NYE.  If her "straddling the husband" wasn't completely set up by production, I have to wonder how long they hung out like that before being "discovered" by the cameras and Juliet.  Hehehe. 

• Love 2

As much as I think that Caroline S. is an icy pretentious bitch, I didn't see anything wrong with her comment about Julie's headstand. I would have probably said something similar.For Julie to break down sobbing was just weird. And her balls are supposed to save her husband's family's estate? Talk about pressure. No wonder she's falling apart. 

That NYE party must have cost Bravo a freaking fortune. 

• Love 9

Caroline 1 was insufferable tonight.  I don't really care if she thought Julie shouldn't have been upset by her comment, she could have just said, "I'm sorry, I was just kidding and didn't mean to hurt your feelings."  How hard would that have been?  When someone is sobbing in front of you because of something you said, telling them they shouldn't be upset by it doesn't help the situation.  She can still be flummoxed by Julie's reaction and apologize anyway, so that she might stop crying.  And maybe it had been building up after that horrible lunch where Caroline called her stupid twice, and basically told Julie she wanted to leave because she had wasted enough time "helping" her when she had her own business problems to deal with. 

• Love 16

How come Caroline gave Julie shit for doing a headstand, since Julie is married to an Earl, but she didn't criticize the baroness?

It's because the thing that is unsaid is that CarFlem gave up her title to marry her ex, who is the nephew of Ian Fleming.

I think Julie and Juliet both melted down a little bit because they'd all been drinking for quite a while and were on edge. And also because Caroline S is a bitch, sober or drunk. I also cannot get past how Caroline S is so cool letting herself be depicted as a lazy dilettante in her business. What hardworking emotionally invested businessperson would be all, "I thought I had 6 months of money left to run my business, but oops...it's only 3 months. Minion! Fix it."

I cannot gauge how good or bad an idea Marissa's all American hotdog stand restaurant is when all we see of the Brits is their complete utter contempt and disdain for all things American.

I want to reiterate how terrible the names Bumpkin and JUB balls are. Why would anyone go to Caroline S for advice on how to pitch for an investor? Julie used to have her production company. I could have sworn that Luke worked for some sort of tech company. Gregor is working for a startup. Outside of Annabelle, Caroline S is last person I would ask for business advice.

• Love 4

It was probably producer-driven.  Caroline S. seemed to get the most chatter and attention last season and they are probably trying to force playdates.  Because yeah, otherwise why would Julie go to her?  I'd probably go to Marissa who would be happy to dispense advice and wouldn't make me feel like shit.

• Love 3

So Annabelle couldn't remember the name of her host, and Caroline S. doesn't like to apologize to a friend, and then straddles her hostess's husband.  I wonder if she even knew his name.

Julie's life sucks.  Her husband couldn't even be with her on New Year's Eve, she's raising those kids alone, and she's somehow bicycling around teaching yoga and shilling granola balls to health clubs and investors so she can "save Mapperton."  We've got a real, live Downton Abbey story here with Mapperton, and Julie has somehow become a slave to saving it. 

• Love 17

I don't understand what Julie's husband does exactly "running Mapperton". It's not like he's there mowing the lawn. And I assume it's not actually like Downton where he is debating what to do with the land and at the same time supporting the town? I honestly have no clue the current function of an estate like that.

I thought the party was beautiful and everyone looked great. I liked to see Annabelle being generous for once about how beautiful the table was and how happy she was to be there. I also like Caroline F as she seems like a warm person. The whole thing is a charade I'm sure, but I'm totally on board.

Edited by AndreaK1041
  • Love 6

When Marissa talked about the hot dog shop, I instantly thought only Americans would eat there.  It's been really eye-opening to me to see how much Americans are disliked by the Brits.  I was so naïve about our relationship with them!

When Juliet was talking to Caroline 2, and Caroline 1 was so disgusted by her ass kissing, yet amused because she was kissing the wrong ass to get a leg up in society, I wanted to shove an orange slice in her mouth. Maybe, JUST MAYBE, it's possible that they started out making nice conversation because they were seated next to each other, and then Juliet liked Caroline 2, and since she is in the market for new friends, said she would love it if they got to know each other better only for that reason.  Not every move that these women make are necessarily to scrape their way to the top of London's Finest, Caroline. Sometimes women are friends even though there's nothing in it for them except the friendship.

• Love 11

I don't understand what Julie's husband does exactly "running Mapperton". It's not like he's there mowing the lawn. And I assume it's not actually like Downton where he is debating what to do with the land and at the same time supporting the town? I honestly have no clue the current function of an estate like that.

My understanding is that there are tours, a mini museum of the house collection, and a cafe. It's a wedding/event space, rented to wealthy people who like to vacation in a real English estate, and offered as location for movies and TV shows.

• Love 8

It's laughable that Marissa included herself as a restaurateur (and I think she even pronounced wrong) when everything was started and owned by her husband.......I'll give her a benefit of a doubt that she "may" have helped run one or two of them....but still, it is through the backing of her husband.

Having my doubts about the so called wealth of these ladies....Annabelle and her "children's book" and the heiress and her balls......and of course we all know about Caroline's financial issues with her company.

Makes me believe that these are no more than the solialites in New York who are broke as fuck and yet famous cause they attend famous gatherings to be related to infamy,

Whatever he's doing at Mapperton, it's too bad he isn't around to notice that his wife is about to have a nervous breakdown.

Makes me think they guy is gay and the marriage is that of convenience to pacify the family....it wouldn't be the first. 

• Love 5

My understanding is that there are tours, a mini museum of the house collection, and a cafe. It's a wedding/event space, rented to wealthy people who like to vacation in a real English estate, and offered as location for movies and TV shows.

I looked at it last week when I watched the show last week and it's open for a very small amount of time, even for a summer open. Only most of May and a month in July to August. The gardens are open more (March through October), but both are only 6 GBP to enter, which is not very much. So there must be an actual source of income somewhere because that's not keeping the lights on. And no matter how yummy Julie's JUB is (which is a RIDICULOUS NAME!), that's not going to pay the mortgage either.

• Love 1

Um, is it just me or did the music in this ep seem particularly blaring, maddening & annoying?

Thanks, producers of this thing -- just keep rolling out the American hate.  Or should I be thanking sour-dour Annabelle & Duckface Caroline & her super icky SiL?

I have to watch this one again cuz there were several points where I didn't know WTF was going on.  Why were they in costume, looking like absolute fools?  Hey, with buffoons like Juliet or even Julie (she acted bizarre in this ep) representing us, I can't blame the Brits for sneering/hating/laughing at us.

Seriously, what the hell with Julie's hair?  That color belongs on canaries, not people.  Man, that hair of hers tells her story but good.  She has no dough, does she?  And if she's gotta go begging for a measly 150 thou to start a business, she must be really cash poor.  I'm expecting her to start talking about interns, like Sonja Morgan.

• Love 6

It's laughable that Marissa included herself as a restaurateur (and I think she even pronounced wrong) when everything was started and owned by her husband.......I'll give her a benefit of a doubt that she "may" have helped run one or two of them....but still, it is through the backing of her husband.

Having my doubts about the so called wealth of these ladies....Annabelle and her "children's book" and the heiress and her balls......and of course we all know about Caroline's financial issues with her company.

So was Marissa saying her husb is the best restaurateur in the world just a wee bit over-blown?  C'mon, what do they have -- 2 or 3 small restaurants?  She's making it sound like he owns hundreds of restaurants internationally.  STFU, Marissa.

OK, Annabelle, so you were a screwy kid who went to 8 million shrinks.  Why share that with us?  Those 8 million shrinks didn't seem to help much with your disposition, did they, hun?  You still ain't exactly a bundle of chuckles, laughs & giggles, Annabelle.  Sheesh, would it kill the woman to smile -- even half a smile?  Yeah, I think it would.  OK, she wasn't quite as horrible in this ep as she usually is.  Don't worry, I'm sure she'll be back to her usual shitty self soon enough.

Anyone catch Duckface Caroline before she met with Julie?  Hmmm, it looked like she had a "gay accessory friend" with her.  That's very much a Housewives thing & oh, how I hate that crap.  So was she mocking Julie, with the gay accessory cruelly giggling along with her?  Ugh, Duckface Caroline is such a nasty woman.  Maybe she should market that dartboard with her ducky mug on it, which was in the office of her failed business.

Edited by ScoobieDoobs
  • Love 6

Things that puzzled me in this episode:

When Caroline went to meet to meet Julie to talk about her business, there was a guy in the car with her. Not sure if he was her gay accessory or not (ugh), but when they got to the restaurant, her friend was nowhere in sight. So did he wait in the car? So weird. 

I thought the reason that Julie and her husband lived in London was because husband had some well paying job and he could make lots of $$ to keep Mapperton going. But if he is working at Mapperton, is that his job and if it is, why are they in London at all. If the object is to support Mapperton, wouldn't it be better if they lived there full time, rather than have a property and all it's associated costs in London. And who is Emma? Is she Julie's daughter? She looks about 15 or 16. But she and her husband have only been married about 10-12 years and they have 3 kids. With Emma that makes 4. Did I miss something?

Why was Juliet tasked to host the outrageously expensive NYE party? She seems to be getting the "poor girl" edit, what with having to move outside the city and her husband doing a start up. Yet she announces that she is a member of some expensive club and that party easily cost 5K. I realize that Bravo is picking up the tab, but why Juliet as the host?

Edited by poeticlicensed
  • Love 3

I didn't like Caroline S. this episode, but I thought Julie's sobbing was overreacting. Just call Caroline  a bitch to her face and be done with it. She'd probably respect you more.

Who the hell kisses someone full on the mouth and then tells them they have a cold?! Gross.

Do these people only hang out together for the show? They don't seem like they like each other much.

• Love 4

Caroline was in the car with her gay makeup artist, prior to meeting Julie. I am assuming the car went on to drop him somewhere else and would return for Caroline. The makeup artist seems to attend many of the ladies' parties. He was at Caroline F's party and Caroline's party where she honored the women of England or whoever.

Julie did overreact but I get why. She's stressed to the limit ; on top of raising 4 kids on her own, her husband is never around (including New Year's (?!) and the family is financially strapped. If she's teaching 6 yoga classes a day and shilling those JUBs hard, I can see why she thought Caroline S's comments were digs. I mean, that's her thing, that's how she makes money. Someone just publicly, on international tv no less, questioned her yoga ability.

So, while I think it's an overreaction, I totally get it. Caroline is a bitch for not making that connection. It was a stupid joke but she could have at least softened when she saw how hurt Julie was.

I feel for Julie, I want to know more about what's going on there. She's cracking.

• Love 17

Makes me think they guy is gay and the marriage is that of convenience to pacify the family....it wouldn't be the first. 

I suppose that could be the case, but regardless, he seems like the worst husband.  I don't understand why it's Julie's responsibility to "Save Mapperton!"  Aren't there other people besides Julie who should be helping, like his own family?  He needs to tell her to stop trying so hard.  I mean, are they totally broke without Julie's yoga class money?  Seriously?  Why hasn't he stepped in to tell her he'd rather have her healthy and sane than breaking her back to try to fund his family's money pit?

His wife is running herself ragged trying to raise their children, while making JUBs in that tiny kitchen so she can develop a business that would inject money into Mapperton.  She isn't doing it for herself, or as a fun little project like Caroline's business.  If she does get that business off the ground, her intent is to use any money from it to Save Mapperton!  Damn, how did she sign up for indentured servitude to a pile of rocks?  Julie would have been better off in Illinois where she could at least have her own life instead of living like a frantic pauper so they can feed money to Mapperton. 

And did I hear right? Marissa met her husband while doing "PR" for restaurants?  Sounds a bit like Sonja Morgan, except Marissa managed to keep her husband.

Edited by izabella
  • Love 4

Also- I find Rania, Caroline's assistant fascinating. There seems to be some not-so-thinly veiled contempt there towards Caroline. She called her out- Caroline doesn't care to save her vanity project & she probably sees Caroline putting in the bare minimum to "save" the business

(and we all know now that she didn't)

Edited by OnceSane
added spoiler tags
  • Love 3

When Marissa talked about the hot dog shop, I instantly thought only Americans would eat there.  It's been really eye-opening to me to see how much Americans are disliked by the Brits.  I was so naïve about our relationship with them!

In my somewhat limited experience, I think regular Brits like regular Americans just fine.  As long as you don't act all "ugly American" everyone seems totally friendly.  I work for an American brand with some presence in the UK, and they can't get enough of us.  Now, society Brits and social climbing Americans...probably a different story.

Edited by TexasGal
  • Love 6

I suppose that could be the case, but regardless, he seems like the worst husband.  I don't understand why it's Julie's responsibility to "Save Mapperton!"  Aren't there other people besides Julie who should be helping, like his own family?  He needs to tell her to stop trying so hard.  I mean, are they totally broke without Julie's yoga class money?  Seriously?  Why hasn't he stepped in to tell her he'd rather have her healthy and sane than breaking her back to try to fund his family's money pit?

His wife is running herself ragged trying to raise their children, while making JUBs in that tiny kitchen so she can develop a business that would inject money into Mapperton.  She isn't doing it for herself, or as a fun little project like Caroline's business.  If she does get that business off the ground, her intent is to use any money from it to Save Mapperton!  Damn, how did she sign up for indentured servitude to a pile of rocks?  Julie would have been better off in Illinois where she could at least have her own life instead of living like a frantic pauper so they can feed money to Mapperton. 

And did I hear right? Marissa met her husband while doing "PR" for restaurants?  Sounds a bit like Sonja Morgan, except Marissa managed to keep her husband.

You know, I'm just not getting where the producers of this thing are going.  Are they trying make us jealous of these broads? Julie is what -- in her 30's?  She looks older than Moaner, who's almost 60.  Sorry, Julie, but you look like shit & your life looks life absolute hell.  We're supposed to envy this?  And how much could she make from being a yoga teacher?  50 cents?  Honestly, I find every shot of Julie extremely depressing.  Even more so than sour/dour Annabelle.  They should at least show the estate.  And what's the deal with her husb?  Maybe he just didn't wanna be part of the show.

I wouldn't say Gregor is hot -- not exactly.  But he sure isn't what I'd expect to be married to whiny-ass plainish, unmade-bed Juliet.  Why the fuck is this woman always talking about wanting what she had as a little girl?  You are an adult woman, Juliet -- why are you always whining endlessly about this shit?  Ugh.

Hey, shockers, I actually noticed Annabelle break into a half-smile at the fancy-shmancy NYE party.  I gasped in disbelief.  Nah, stay sour, dour & depressed, Annabelle.  That's your shtick, hun.  Might as well stick with it.

• Love 5

In my somewhat limited experience, I think regular Brits like regular Americans just fine.  As long as you don't act all "ugly American" everyone seems totally friendly.  I work for an American brand with some presence in the UK, and they can't get enough of us.  Now, society Brits and social climbing Americans...probably a different story.

I had the same experience as you, until I started traveling there & was often treated miserably in London (and no, I'm no "ugly American").  There is definitely an anti-American attitude there from some -- and it's not just from the rich & snooty.  It can come from totally average people.  Not sure if this show is trying to bring it out or make a statement on it, but it looks like we're gonna get some outright American hatred pretty soon from some of them.  So far, the anti-American attitude has just been an undercurrent, which is pretty easy to see.  It's quite ugly to me.

Edited by ScoobieDoobs
  • Love 6

I just traveled to London and Paris a few weeks ago. Both the Brits and the French could not have been nicer to us. As someone who lives in an area that is sometimes overrun by tourists (Florida), I think it's more about getting tired of dealing with tourists and less about hating Americans. Believe me, there are other groups that Europeans hate way more than Americans, but that's another conversation, lol

• Love 5
unmade-bed Juliet

THANK YOU for this most brilliant and perfect description. I've never been able to come up with the right term for people who always look like they just rushed out of the house only halfway ready t face the world, like she always does.  Unmade-bed is exactly it!

• Love 7

I just traveled to London and Paris a few weeks ago. Both the Brits and the French could not have been nicer to us. As someone who lives in an area that is sometimes overrun by tourists (Florida), I think it's more about getting tired of dealing with tourists and less about hating Americans. Believe me, there are other groups that Europeans hate way more than Americans, but that's another conversation, lol

Wish I could say I had your experience, but I haven't.  My friend has vid of us being screamed at on the street (in London) for being "arrogant Americans".  Not fun.  So the anti-American hate coming out on this show is interesting to me, because I've experienced it often, recently & by average-looking people, not snoots.

Edited by ScoobieDoobs
  • Love 3

Wish I could say I had your experience, but I haven't.  My friend has vid of us being screamed at on the street (in London) for being "arrogant Americans".  Not fun.  So the anti-American hate coming out on this show is interesting to me, because I've experienced it often, recently & by average-looking people, not snoots.

Edited by ScoobieDoobs, 59 minutes ago.

I did a semester in London in 2001, right when 9/11 happened.  I also traveled to Paris while in Europe.  The Parisians, who get a much worse rap than the Brits for the anti-American sentiments, were far kinder and more compassionate.  The Brits were downright hateful and wasted little opportunity to tell us how much they hated Tony Blair supporting Bush during that.  Just my two cents on the anti-American sentiments in the UK.  Having said that, I still love the UK and am dying to return.

I am loving this show though for all the London scenery and while I was once a homesick American who wanted to get home in time for Christmas after my finals, I would now LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to spend the holidays there.  It just looks so beautiful and wintery.

Also, Marissa's husband doesn't just own 3 small restaurants.  He owns the Bumpkin chain as well as a chain of bars and a chain of nightclubs.  I am actually surprised given their success that their house looks so humble and modest.  

• Love 2

I looked at it last week when I watched the show last week and it's open for a very small amount of time, even for a summer open. Only most of May and a month in July to August. The gardens are open more (March through October), but both are only 6 GBP to enter, which is not very much. So there must be an actual source of income somewhere because that's not keeping the lights on. And no matter how yummy Julie's JUB is (which is a RIDICULOUS NAME!), that's not going to pay the mortgage either.

I suspect they make more money off weddings (likely why everything is closed on Saturdays) and the occasional movie. 

But he is a horrible husband - why wasn't he at NYE?  I wonder if he just doesn't want to appear on camera, and was willing to do it only when filming at Mapperton.  But Jeez, the husbands were barely shown, he could have celebrated the holiday with her.  It's almost like they are separated, and the whole "I'm getting investors for JUB to support Mapperton" is really code for "he can't pay me enough alimony and I don't make enough as a yoga instructor so I need a business to pay the bills."

I understand why Julie was upset at the dig, but the answer was to explain why she was doing it so slowly.  Of course, that's a dig on Caroline2, but Caroline1 started the issue.  And once Caroline1 knew Julie was upset, she could have done a better fake apology and hugged/touched the poor upset woman. I was also wondering why the hostess didn't see to her guest.

No way that NYE party wasn't planned out far in advance, if the place is so special.  Or were they on what looked like some oddly sized balcony because the place wouldn't allow them to film the real rooftop (assuming they have outdoor space there)?

Is Julie actually willing to sell the entire company for 150k?  That doesn't make a lot of sense.  I can't decide between those 2, Caroline1 was rude as hell ("I hope you're not going to present that way"  "you biked here?"), but based on how Julie presents herself most days, I can understand the questions.

Does anyone know who the 16yr old with Julie is?  I thought she was far too young to have a 16 year old daughter (though bravo's website says she has 4 kids).

Marissa may be many bad things, but according to the bravo website bio she worked in NYC with Ian Schrager on his restaurants and nightclubs, so she's no slouch.

I hadn't noticed how yellow everyone's hair looked until several people mentioned it.  Now I can't "un"notice that :-)

Is Caroline1 Jewish, or is her husband?  Because, again looking at the bravo website, her wedding photos show him wearing what looks like a yarmulke. Plus her dress looked very conservative (highish neck, 3/4 length sleeves) and there were no photos of the service. 

I have been to London twice in the last year and a half and also toured Yorkshire and Wales during these trips.  We were actually treated very nicely, but we had no contact with upper-class twits.  We had contact with people of different classes and ethnic backgrounds. 

There are many foreigners working/living there now:  Polish, Italians, etc.  My husband was attending a medical meeting, and the doctors were very cordial--they're not upper class, really.  I thought London seemed very much like our home town of NYC, actually.  There's a similar energy of people trying to get where they are going very fast.  They have a similar subway system, theater, museums. 

If some people are impolite, it could be tourist fatigue:  I worked for many years in the Times Square area.  Now I work near the World Trade Center.  Both areas are overrun with tourists.  I try to be nice and give them directions, etc. 

• Love 2

I agree, I travel to London and Paris several times a year and I've never encountered anyone who wasn't at least polite, and many who are gracious and kind. No one calling me an arrogant American, I would be stunned!! I was actually worried about encountering attitude, and I've been pleasantly surprised. I will be back at the end of Sept/Oct, do fingers crossed I don't have to eat my words.

I think Caroline is so snotty about Americans and their social climbing because she's obsessed with being on top. She wants Juliet kissing her ass, not the other Caroline. She's just a snotty bitch, and from my experience, snotty bitches come from every country. Even the good ole US of A.

Edited by shoegal
  • Love 5

The "JUB saves Mapperton" story doesn't make sense. I question whether the true intention of JUB is to generate enough income to support Mapperton. It would take quite awhile to get the company going, then sell it. Plus, saying she'd sell it for a specific sum seemed kind of odd so early in the game. Maybe we are missing a big part of this story. I do think she was trying to advertise JUB - perhaps to seek the investors.

Maybe the reason they maintain a home in London is to school the children, plus provide yoga clients. Still, the rushing on a bicycle from class to class, plus baking, plus raising children seems insanely inefficient.

I think Juliet is the only one of these hucksters who isn't trying to market something or create a brand.

Edited by pasdetrois

It was even mentioned in this episode - Julie said she was styled by Juliet for the party.  And I will give this to Juliet - the dress she chose for Julie fit her beautifully, and was a very elegant design.  The sparkly circus tent she chose for herself, however, not so much.

• Love 5
I understand why Julie was upset at the dig, but the answer was to explain why she was doing it so slowly.  Of course, that's a dig on Caroline2, but Caroline1 started the issue.  And once Caroline1 knew Julie was upset, she could have done a better fake apology and hugged/touched the poor upset woman. I was also wondering why the hostess didn't see to her guest.

I didn't totally get why Julie was melting down, but this was exactly how she should have handled it. I don't know shit about yoga either and thought it was weird that she was taking forEVER getting up into a headstand. Julie could have just said that as a yogi, she was concentrating on form, so as not to injure herself, since that's her business. No dig at Caroline F, no message tears on the balcony, etc.

Besides, it seemed like Julie had been weird all evening. Just minutes before that (as shown, not necessarily as it happened), Julie just randomly yells out "Who's coming to yoga tomorrow at 10am?" and then starts getting pissed that no one wants to get up to go to her yoga class on New Year's Day. Which is completely unreasonable since the point of NYE is to stay up unreasonably late and then roll out of bed around noon. It sounds like something one of my college students who say, not something a group of grown women with families and obligations would do. So yeah, there was something going on with Julie all night before Caroline's "dig."

• Love 2

I hadn't noticed how yellow everyone's hair looked until several people mentioned it.  Now I can't "un"notice that :-)

I think it might have to do with the show's lighting. I noticed the frosting on Caroline's cake also looked weirdly yellow in certain shots, while it looked white in others. 

I personally like Julie and enjoy seeing her biking around with JUBs like a fun weirdo. She seems refreshingly normal, if a little high strung. This article from the Daily Mail explains more about her husband and their situation: 

There is a café and a gift shop and Luke now spends four days a week at the house to help support his parents – there is a five-year plan to slowly take over altogether. Julie is planning farm shops and kitchen gardens and maybe a yoga retreat, and certainly Mapperton JUB balls (‘We can grow Dorset dates, right?’).

Edited by Panda Bear
  • Love 2

It was even mentioned in this episode - Julie said she was styled by Juliet for the party. And I will give this to Juliet - the dress she chose for Julie fit her beautifully, and was a very elegant design. The sparkly circus tent she chose for herself, however, not so much.

I agree though it also didn't need Caroline S immediately inquiring if she was pregnant with twins when she saw her in it.

I think that was part of Julie's problem it wasn't just the remark about the yoga headstand it was Caroline always has to say something ridiculously mean described as a joke and never says anything complimentary. As was mentioned up thread Caroline called Julie stupid multiple times and a lush in their lunch meeting and that can add up where finally one remark breaks you. I say that as someone who has a similar "humour" to Caroline and often trade such barbs with close friends but try to realize they can land badly and and always measure them with praise and a quick and sincere apology if it wasn't taken in a light manner. Unlike Caroline I also try to be funny.

I thought it was interesting that Julie mentioned how she was so close with Juliet but despite the fact that she was the hostess Juliet never removed her nose from Caroline Fs ass long enough to check on Julie and it was Annabelle and Caroline S BFF/sister-in-law who went to check on her and try to tell her not to take it to heart.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 5

Even if Caroline wasn't trying to be insulting, she could have said at the very least, "I'm sorry I upset you".  Those words would provide a small amount of comfort to Julie, and wouldn't require Caroline to show weakness, if that's what the whole thing is with her about getting irritated when something she says backfires.  Maybe it's her own defense mechanism, that when one of her mean "jokes" isn't well received, she is embarrassed, and to cover it up she rolls her eyes and remarks on what an asshole the person she upset must be for getting upset.  I will admit, it was a tactic I used once at summer camp when I did something shitty in an attempt to be funny, and made a girl cry.  I panicked and was afraid of getting in trouble, so I tried to smooth it over by acting like she was a big drama queen, but inside I felt like a total shitheel.  The difference is, I was 8 years old when I did that, and learned to never do it again.  Maybe Julie's overreaction has more to do with other issues, but sometimes it's more important to be kind than to be right.

• Love 4