Type keyword(s) to search

The World's Fattest Man - A Love Story (TLC) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Paul lost 700 pounds and got engaged.

What I am most curious about is what do you think about the broken engagement?

I think once he lost weight and had the skin removal surgery his fiancee thought he would be doing more, but Paul was too used to laying around and having people wait on him. I tend to side with the fiancee because she wants more than to be a caretaker. But then again she went into the relationship knowing it wasn't ever going to be normal maybe she had false expectations?

I worry if Paul doesn't have somebody keeping after him he may regress.

• Love 1

I found the relationship to be the most fascinating and telling part of his story.  At first, I was thinking this lady was a complete loon (think crazy cat lady), but when she was talking at the end of the show about working towards goals, I  completely related to what she said.  I am not sure that I can properly articulate this, but here goes...there are two types of people in the world,the movers and shakers and those who sit back and let things happen.  I bet she saw his story and thought she was meeting up with someone who was taking the bull by the horns and making things happen in life, but after a while she realized that she was getting into a relationship with an overgrown baby, whom she would have to "raise."  I can relate to this as I have been with my husband since we were both teens and I have had to kind of "raise" him, meaning that I had to teach him to do things and how to have goals and strive for what you want...who the hell wants to go through all that after 40?  Plus, she's absolutely a mover and shaker and is smart enough not to tie herself down to someone who wants someone else to wipe his butt.  I admire her.

Another interesting thing here is that some of these super obese have no social skills because they were obese as children and never had any friends.  Paul was not obese as a child/teen as he didn't start gaining weight until he was in his 20s, so he should have learned how to act.  Maybe his behavior is just due to his culture?  The UK did send a team of caregivers to take care of him and maybe this further encouraged him to self indulge.  Maybe he's just a dick. I don't know, but I do find this discussion fascinating as I firmly believe that no one gets to 600+ pounds without some serious personality issues.

• Love 2

notyrmomma I'm so glad you replied!  

At first, I was thinking this lady was a complete loon (think crazy cat lady), but when she was talking at the end of the show about working towards goals, I  completely related to what she said.  

Another interesting thing here is that some of these super obese have no social skills because they were obese as children and never had any friends.  Paul was not obese as a child/teen as he didn't start gaining weight until he was in his 20s, so he should have learned how to act.  

There are times in life when you can get overcome with emotion, and it's okay for a man to be sensitive blah blah blah. But it seemed like Paul cried more than normal which would be a big turn off for me, he did seem like a big baby.

I notice on these shows with the super obese that they usually have family members care for them.  I would be too humiliated to have somebody wipe my butt and bathe me because I let myself get too heavy to take care of myself plus there is nobody in my family who would do that for me. So to get that big takes selfishness and enabling.

His fiancee I also thought at first she was going to be some person who lives in la la land and I too was surprised in the last interview how sensible she sounded about why they broke up.

I rolled my eyes when he said he was scared when he heard the door open and her come home. I think he just wanted to lay up in the house all day and didn't want to have to do any work and have to answer to her.

After watching this last night I found an article about him and it said he was still staying with the fiancee, I can understand that you just can't throw the guy out but she is nicer than I think I would be.

• Love 1

I'd planned on discussing this on TLC thread, but happened to find it here.

All along, I don't think he was as serious about her, as she was about him.

She always made the moves, and I think he was blindsided.

I do agree he shouldn't be idle, but I don't know what his job options are in the US.

I wish them both well.

• Love 1

I'd planned on discussing this on TLC thread, but happened to find it here.

All along, I don't think he was as serious about her, as she was about him.

She always made the moves, and I think he was blindsided.

I do agree he shouldn't be idle, but I don't know what his job options are in the US.

I wish them both well.

Where is the TLC thread? I noticed that she was the one who actually proposed to him. I think he just got cold feet when he thought of the responsibility of being a husband. But he let her take care of him and he was living with her so he did lead her on (and use her?) if he wasn't serious about her.

Where is the TLC thread?

In Misc TV Talk > Networks: http://forums.previously.tv/topic/27276-tlc-but-trashy-and-tacky-are-taken-already/

I, too, immediately judged Rebecca Mountain as a "crazy cat lady" who lives in Massachusetts and builds cat furniture for a living. (Here's her website: http://mountaincattrees.com/about/.) I changed my mind when she spoke about wanting a partner rather than a manchild.

Watching Paul Mason get those free carers courtesy of the NHS reminded me of Katie Hopkins' UK documentary Fat & Back. Hopkins was angry about her tax dollars being used to help "lazy" fat people, so she set out to "prove" that anyone can lose weight by eating less and exercising. At the time, I was angered by her fat shaming, and wondered what her stunt (gaining & losing 40 lbs.) was supposed to prove about real-life obesity. But I actually found myself thinking of Paul's carers as enablers. (First, I Am Cait made me sympathize with Kris Jenner. Now this?)

On September 6, Paul & Rebecca said on Facebook that he's going to California "to enter a 2 month therapy program": https://facebook.com/paulmasonformerworldsfattestman/posts/492167664292723 To me, that's a happy ending.

• Love 1

In Misc TV Talk > Networks: http://forums.previously.tv/topic/27276-tlc-but-trashy-and-tacky-are-taken-already/

I, too, immediately judged Rebecca Mountain as a "crazy cat lady" who lives in Massachusetts and builds cat furniture for a living. (Here's her website: http://mountaincattrees.com/about/.) I changed my mind when she spoke about wanting a partner rather than a manchild.

Watching Paul Mason get those free carers courtesy of the NHS reminded me of Katie Hopkins' UK documentary Fat & Back. Hopkins was angry about her tax dollars being used to help "lazy" fat people, so she set out to "prove" that anyone can lose weight by eating less and exercising. At the time, I was angered by her fat shaming, and wondered what her stunt (gaining & losing 40 lbs.) was supposed to prove about real-life obesity. But I actually found myself thinking of Paul's carers as enablers. (First, I Am Cait made me sympathize with Kris Jenner. Now this?)

On September 6, Paul & Rebecca said on Facebook that he's going to California "to enter a 2 month therapy program": https://facebook.com/paulmasonformerworldsfattestman/posts/492167664292723 To me, that's a happy ending.

Thanks for all the links! Like you I thought Katie Hopkins was obnoxious and her experiment was not realistic compared to somebody who had had years of struggling with their weight. But I can understand her frustration after seeing the enabling some of these people are getting, but that's a tough subject too because if it was your family member that tough love would be hard to give although necessary.

• Love 2

I was just looking through Paul's Facebook page and if it wasn't for the excess skin on his arms, you would never know he was almost 1,000 pounds just a few years ago. He looks like a regular guy now.  Good for him!  If you've ever watched the 600lb life shows, some never make it to "normal" stage.  Also, I watched that video Rebecca made for their one year anniversary.  What a good person she is!  

Now about Katie Hopkins -  if you listen closely at the end of the show she pretty much admits how hard it is to lose the weight and that she understands how some people just can't do it.  Otherwise, I thought she was just a real bitch.

I think that if Paul didn't gain all this weight, he still would have been one of those guys who sits around the house all day, doesn't work, and plays video games or is online all day (We are loaded with those types of people here in the USA!).   He was just unlucky enough to start piling on the weight and his state very graciously sent people in to help him wipe his bum.  It was the state who decided that it was cheaper to have the surgery, not him!

• Love 2

If you've ever watched the 600lb life shows, some never make it to "normal" stage.

I think that if Paul didn't gain all this weight, he still would have been one of those guys who sits around the house all day, doesn't work, and plays video games or is online all day

I have noticed some of the people never walk normally again even after the surgery and losing massive weight.

I peeked in at the Facebook page, I want to read it better when I have more time. But I saw one of the responses congratulated Paul and said something about now he could find a career. I think Paul just wants his quiet life laying around the house but now that he is in the spotlight people are watching what he is going to do, and I bet he doesn't want to get a job. Like I said above I think he got nervous about the responsibilities involved in being a husband and got cold feet on getting married.

• Love 1

Sorry to be stupid, but what is NHS money?

Since 1948, the UK government has provided free healthcare through the National Health Service. The NHS provided Paul's carers, and paid for his surgery. (The US doctor donated her time for the skin surgery. I don't know how Paul is paying for his 2-week therapy in California.)

• Love 1

It was my understanding that the whole thing was donated.  The surgeons, or their associates, call around to the different services and get them to donate too.  A very active member of my school/church died recently after a very sudden illness and the doctors (some of whom are also school/church families) talked other doctors and the hospital to give the family a very large discount as they had no health insurance and now the family was without a dad. 

(edited)
On September 20, 2015 at 6:08 PM, Dianaofthehunt said:

I wonder if batwing-removal surgery is in Paul's future.
(or as we call them in my house, "Mermans")

Paul Mason is living in Massachusetts, and soliciting donations online for skin removal surgery: https://www.gofundme.com/27nsfy84

Edited by editorgrrl
As of day 18, he's raised $10 of his $15,000 goal.
  • Love 1

http://nytimes.com/2016/09/02/us/hundreds-of-pounds-lighter-and-now-shedding-another-burden-of-the-past.html

On Wednesday, Mr. Mason, who is 55 and now lives in rural Athol, Mass., … had the second of two surgeries to eliminate the excess skin that enveloped his body like a shroud. Fifty pounds of it was removed from his abdomen last year; this time, about 10 pounds’ worth was excised from his arms and hip in a multihour operation in Manhattan.

The surgery was again performed without charge at Lenox Hill Hospital on the Upper East Side of Manhattan by a team of seven led by three doctors from three different hospitals.

Money is tight, but he supports himself on a private pension from his earnings as a postal worker years ago, the last steady job he had. While he recovers, he is staying at a Manhattan hotel, his room paid for by an anonymous donor whose mother died of complications from obesity some years ago.

• Love 1

From My 600 Lb. Life:

20 hours ago, aliya said:

I am FB friends with Paul Mason, formerly Britain's fattest man. He lives in the States now because he couldn't get the skin surgery he needed in Britain. He recently had skin surgery for his upper body. It has not been easy for him.

13 hours ago, aliya said:

It appears he's kept the weight off, but he has had recurring bouts of cellulitis (he's in the hospital for that again right now) and other issues. Last year this time he had a problem with the hospital really paying attention to his condition, but he's switched hospitals and seems to get the right treatment when he has to go in.  His spirits seem high, he has a social circle, and loves to post clips from old UK comedy shows.

• Love 1

Saturday, 4/15 on Discovery Life (466 on U-verse), at 8,9,10,11 AM, 2 parts each of Britain's Fattest Man, and World's Fattest Man. 
I'm pretty sure World's Fattest is the British man who found a girl friend and came to US for surgery.
They may have files somewhere as one-offs, but I'm way too tired to look, and figure most of the watchers will see it here.
Good night.

And in addition to this, at 6AM and 7AM, there are 2 episodes of My Big Fat Operation, which I've never seen, but I think someone mentioned once