Type keyword(s) to search

Behind Bars: Rookie Year - General Discussion

• Start Topic

9 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

I find it sad that so many of them have no business being CO's (Fabian and Lilly come to mind),  but are there probably because it's the best job they can find.  Maybe where they live it's either be a CO or work a minimum wage job; just like Israel said a state job is a huge step up for him.  

Well, yeah.  It is the best job they can find, and a huge step up, ESPECIALLY if they can't do the job at all!  They need to go back to school, or move somewhere else or work a MINIMUM WAGE JOB.  They will burn out, or get someone killed, or get themselves killed.  These institutions need to screen a LITTLE bit better for suitability. 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Lion18 said:

Who was the 18 year old who quit the first day?

how did Purdo get into the intelligence unit?  He just applied?  It's a lot better than what he use to do

I thought it was Fabian that quit on Day One but he's still there screwing up. I'm a bit confused.

• Love 2
On 10/9/2016 at 5:51 PM, Brattinella said:

Well, yeah.  It is the best job they can find, and a huge step up, ESPECIALLY if they can't do the job at all!  They need to go back to school, or move somewhere else or work a MINIMUM WAGE JOB.  They will burn out, or get someone killed, or get themselves killed.  These institutions need to screen a LITTLE bit better for suitability. 

True, but it's easier said than done.  I don't judge them because I went to college at a time when it was doable on not just a middle class salary, but a working class salary.   I had a friend who worked minimum wage jobs in NYC during the 1970's; with what she made, she could pay her bills, buy food and have money to spare, did I mention that she lived in NYC too? 

Sure most of them shouldn't be CO's, but the USA shouldn't have shipped so many manufacturing jobs overseas either.

Fabian wasn't the one who quit; the one who quit was very tall and thin, don't remember his name, but he realized the job wasn't for him. 

• Love 1
20 hours ago, Brooklynista said:

I thought it was Fabian that quit on Day One but he's still there screwing up. I'm a bit confused.

To be fair, I think it was ridiculous that Fabian was sent in alone on his first day in the control tower.  You would think someone would be there to help him learn the ropes or at least supervise him.  

• Love 3

Fabian is cutting corners left and right. He is going to get hurt, killed or for someone else killed. First leaving the gate open. Now Trashing those screws and flushing the razors was a bad call. Then he worsens it by blackmailing the inmate that has marijuana. If he hasn't quit his job yet, he should be fired, or will be shortly. I know D'Angelo will be annoyed when he sees this because he has always been trying to find contraband, and this Fabian finds contraband and just trashes it.  I've heard of cutting corners, but he is just flat out showing poor judgement. That inmate he is blackmailing could beat him up or kill him....and for what, a power play,  to get someone to take out the trash? (ETA Fabian got fired....he deserved to. Now I'm thinking he did all those shenanigans on purpose so he could get fired.)

Purto is applying and training to be on the CERT team but he messed it up on his first day and I don't think he is going to get assigned to it for a few months. He escalates too quickly and thinks he is GI Joe. The CERT team is all about precise intelligence gathering, Purto is more like a sledge hammer, and inmates won't respond well to him. 

Lilly reminds me of Minnie Mouse. Her voice is so annoying. I hope she becomes more authoritative as she grows into her job. Yes Lilly, that is obviously blood. I know she processes every thought out loud, but that's not good for this setting. Inmates shouldn't know your every thought. 

Ariel needs to regulate that guy calling her by her first name and just write him up. He is making a joke of it, knowing that everytime he calls her Ariel, he will get a comment from her. Didn't Purto get a few weeks off when he got attacked? It seemed like Ariel came right back to work after the incident, then had a meltdown and missed a few days. They should have put her on medical leave, and mandated her get counseling for PTSD even if she wasn't physically injured. Odd to me that Bell hugged her twice when he never hugs any of his other students. 

Chaz needs to stop calling his dad, 'Dad' while on the job. He should refer to him as Lt. Miller. Sign of respect and also less personal info given to inmates. He definitely got on the extraction team because of his dad's connections.  It usually takes longer for other rookies to get on special teams. 

Edited by Spiderella2
Watched to the end
  • Love 4

I am glad Fabian was fired.  I wonder if his supervisors watched the dailies from the show and saw what he did, or did the producers tell them.  Pretty stupid of Fabian to throw away the contraband right in front of the cameras.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Spiderella2 said:

Fabian is cutting corners left and right. He is going to get hurt, killed or for someone else killed. First leaving the gate open. Now Trashing those screws and flushing the razors was a bad call. Then he worsens it by blackmailing the inmate that has marijuana. If he hasn't quit his job yet, he should be fired, or will be shortly. I know D'Angelo will be annoyed when he sees this because he has always been trying to find contraband, and this Fabian finds contraband and just trashes it.  I've heard of cutting corners, but he is just flat out showing poor judgement. That inmate he is blackmailing could beat him up or kill him....and for what, a power play,  to get someone to take out the trash? (ETA Fabian got fired....he deserved to. Now I'm thinking he did all those shenanigans on purpose so he could get fired.)

Purto is applying and training to be on the CERT team but he messed it up on his first day and I don't think he is going to get assigned to it for a few months. He escalates too quickly and thinks he is GI Joe. The CERT team is all about precise intelligence gathering, Purto is more like a sledge hammer, and inmates won't respond well to him. 

Lilly reminds me of Minnie Mouse. Her voice is so annoying. I hope she becomes more authoritative as she grows into her job. Yes Lilly, that is obviously blood. I know she processes every thought out loud, but that's not good for this setting. Inmates shouldn't know your every thought. 

Ariel needs to regulate that guy calling her by her first name and just write him up. He is making a joke of it, knowing that everytime he calls her Ariel, he will get a comment from her. Didn't Purto get a few weeks off when he got attacked? It seemed like Ariel came right back to work after the incident, then had a meltdown and missed a few days. They should have put her on medical leave, and mandated her get counseling for PTSD even if she wasn't physically injured. Odd to me that Bell hugged her twice when he never hugs any of his other students. 

Chaz needs to stop calling his dad, 'Dad' while on the job. He should refer to him as Lt. Miller. Sign of respect and also less personal info given to inmates. He definitely got on the extraction team because of his dad's connections.  It usually takes longer for other rookies to get on special teams. 

Thanks for this recap!  I've missed a couple episodes and this makes up for my stupidly watching something else.

• Love 1

Was it Fabien's mission to get fired?  Why break every rule RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE CAMERAS??  And just in case they weren't sure what was happening, he TELLS the camera crew what he was doing wrong. Perhaps he was too scared to continue with the job and too scared to tell his parents that he wanted to quit. 

Best to be fired before any of the CO's were hurt behind his chicken shit antics.

• Love 6

I really feel for Ariel.  I remember her last year and man, that job has just aged her, she also looks heavier than she did last year.  Sometimes I wonder if it's right for women CO's to work in men's prisons and vice versa.  I feel for all of them because the CO job is probably the best one they can find, a state job with benefits and a pension.  Probably not a lot of jobs, where they live have that, and maybe the few state jobs that exist get grandfathered from one generation to another.  

• Love 2
On October 29, 2016 at 7:11 AM, silversage said:

I'm glad Ariel is OK but I do think she should have let someone know she was not going to come back. I'm sure it's the editing, though.

Yes, I was confused about that.  It looked like she just took off and didn't tell anybody, co workers or producers, where she was going.  If that's true then wow, guess what happened really affected her.  I hope she's okay.