Type keyword(s) to search

Bonnie Bennett: Witchy Woman

So in the episode thread, were speculating on why Bonnie is in the mental home. Who she lost and why. And the choices are either she made a mistake during the upcoming feud with Lily and someone died, or she had sex with Damon that drove him to desiccate himself.

Which really drives home how much her character is a walking plot point. She's suffered worse losses in the past than anything she can come up with now. Yet none of Bonnie's mistakes that led to the loss of members of her family - lifting the seal to free Stefan caused Grams's heart failure, searching for the Cure brought about Silas's freedom and caused her father's murder, helping Stefan's vendetta against Klaus made her get her mother back to town and magic and started the events that led to her becoming a vampire...

Her own insistence on resurrecting Jeremy caused her death. She suffered the agony of being an anchor, then isolation in the Prison World.

None of these drove her to the brink. Even her prison world 'ptsd' just needed a trip back to another prison world to get fixed overnight..

But it's the loss of one of her (white) friends because of a feud gone wrong or sex that makes her check herself into a mental home?

I'm not sold on it being a hookup with Damon. I don't think the current regime would go there. It's obvious their main male stars are never supposed to be into Bonnie that way. If they go this route then I'm guessing it will just be feelings on Bonnie's side. But I don't think they want to mess with the friendship. Bamon fans are supposed to be getting placated with Enzo.

I think it's either something to do with Elena like Bonnie accidentally or indirectly putting her in danger or Matt. They've potentially laid some groundwork with it being Matt from the first episode when he basically blamed her for the heretics and then the whole bringing him back from the dead thing. Alaric also potentially because we dont' know exactly how everything with 'Jo' has panned out in the future.

I agree with you that she's suffered much worse and come through fine but keep in mind this show rarely ever focused on Bonnie's issues. She never got to mourn her parents the way Elena or Caroline did. What happened to her dad in particular was super gruesome and the gang never even really talk about it. Letting Silas get sucked away when the Otherside collapsed was the only closure she ever got. That's why I"m thinking the failed friend is Elena. With this show everyone feels 100% more badly when something happens to Elena even over their own problems and lives.

Edited by Couver

However, I'm hoping a body snatching has taken place, and institutionalized Bonnie is not the Bonnie, because there is no rhyme or reason for Bonnie to be in love with Enzo. I don't care how the writers pimp it, it just doesn't wash.

I really wanted to jump on board this train of thought after seeing someone else mention it in the episode thread but now that I've watched episode 5 I can't. It was so obvious the current scenes between Bonnie and Enzo were setting this up. The banter and anvils were so blatant. It's very disappointing.  There was no chemistry. Enzo was going to let Oscar hurt or kill Bonnie and Bonnie basically left Enzo to fend Oscar off. There was nothing there. And that future kiss was just so awkward.

At least Jeremy loved Bonnie first. Enzo is in love with Lily. In no way should someone has amazing as Bonnie be playing second fiddle to Lily. Plus I just never pictured Bonnie has one of the characters on this show to have a relationship with a vampire. Any other type of supernatural maybe but not a vampire.

I just don't want Bonnie to be dead (again!) 3 years from now. Not on board with Enzo as her love interest, but that's better than her body being jacked by freaking Lily. And why would Damon be okay with Mommy Dearest inhabiting the body of one of his BFF's? He's just gonna go to sleep for 60 years and let that happen? Given that Damon appears to be on the outs with his other BFF in the future, maybe that's the case. Sigh.

• Love 1

I just never pictured Bonnie has one of the characters on this show to have a relationship with a vampire. Any other type of supernatural maybe but not a vampire.

It rang false with me as well.

Beremy (thanks doram I never knew a good ship name for them lol) had potential. I was into it when they started laying the groundwork during the masquared ball. It was cute. And I agree Jeremy most times tried to put her first. Even in season 6 I love how he called them out about always failing Bonnie and leaving her. Especially when they came back from 1994 without her. But their relationship got no focus. How long did they go before they had their first kiss? I can't even remember them being shown in bed together. Compare that to the other relationships on the show and it's obvious they just didn't care.

I'm going to stop hating on Bozo and give the writers a chance. Maybe they'll surprise me for once? I did like how sarcastic Bonnie was with Enzo in their present day scenes. Especially when she told him to get some self respect! We rarely get to see fiesty Bonnie. So if Enzo brings that out in here that would be a positive. But he better recognize how awesome she is in the future.

• Love 1

I think (at least to me) it's fairly obvious that Damon had some kind of love or affection for Bonnie as evidenced by how poorly he reacts to her dying. He has now three times been active in bringing her back from the "other side" (if you count the fake death with Klaus). The first time was ENTIRELY his idea. He has from season 2 onward been somewhat protective of Bonnie like when he refused to leave the island without finding her. We can call it all "for Elena" but for a guy who thought nothing of snapping the neck of someone Elena loved, it smacks of something more.

Something about Bonnie is endeared to Damon in a way that Caroline or Enzo or Jeremy or Jenna or Elena's mother weren't. Damon doesn't do well with dead Bonnie, somehow the little witch has snuck into his heart. Like bobbysgurl said, whether it's platonic or romantic, who's to say but it's canon that he truly does care for and even loves Bonnie, Elena even said so herself.

Edited by slayer2

She wasn't running for her life, and yes Damon came up with the plan for Bonnie to fake her death. Nobody "made" Bonnie do anything, and nobody needed to save Bonnie she would have killed Klaus if Elijah hadn't double-crossed them. I reckon you'll see what you want to see irrespective of what's presented and what the writers and actors have gone on record to say so bygones I suppose.

Also, subtext and sarcasm, which is the nature of their relationship. If you really think that Damon meant it when he "threatened to kill" Bonnie in the prison world, it's no wonder you disagree. I'm not going to argue that point because I find it ridiculous.

I think (at least to me) it's fairly obvious that Damon had some kind of love or affection for Bonnie as evidenced by how poorly he reacts to her dying. He has now three times been active in bringing her back from the "other side" (if you count the fake death with Klaus). The first time was ENTIRELY his idea. He has from season 2 onward been somewhat protective of Bonnie like when he refused to leave the island without finding her. We can call it all "for Elena" but for a guy who thought nothing of snapping the neck of someone Elena loved, it smacks of something more.

Something about Bonnie is endeared to Damon in a way that Caroline or Enzo or Jeremy or Jenna or Elena's mother weren't. Damon doesn't do well with dead Bonnie, somehow the little witch has snuck into his heart. Like bobbysgurl said, whether it's platonic or romantic, who's to say but it's canon that he truly does care for and even loves Bonnie, Elena even said so herself.

I think you are right to a point. Damon does care about Bonnie, and I'm sure the affection he feels for her is true and genuine. I've always believed that about his character, and I have argued that point with many fans who believe Damon doesn't care about anyone outside of Elena, or that he pretends to care to win points with her.

Damon builds friendships aside from Elena, and cares deeply for his friends, and I would go as far as to say there is some degree of love, but those dynamics aren't unique or exclusive to Bonnie. He had those dynamics with Alaric and Liz, and to a lesser degree Carol Lockwood.  He cared enough about Rose to try and find a cure for her wolf bite,  and when that was unsuccessful, he euthanized her in the comfort of his arms, without fear and pain.

Damon responds well  (not always perfectly), to those who treat him well, who believe in him and trust him, this treatment is not reserved for Bonnie only, which is why I see nothing in there interactions that we haven't seen before. Remember his grief when Ric died? when Liz died?

There are only two people in the world that Damon would love above his closest friends, and they are Elena and Stefan, and for either of them he would sacrifice all of his friends, i'm sure of that.

Since the what is being presented on screen is a deepening friendship, that is what I take from all the Bamon interactions, and I like them mostly.

However, all Damons' current actions are driven by his feelings for Elena, just as they always have since he fell in love with her back in S1.

In S2, The Last Dance, Damon found out by eavesdropping that there was a 50/50 chance Bonnie could die channeling enough witch power to kill Klaus. He asked her if there was a way of increasing her odds of survival, but he didn't ask her not to do it, and ultimately when he realized that Klaus was protected in Alarics body, he didn't want Bonnie to waste her powers and die in a futile mission- He wanted to save the "weapon" for another day, and he made that point very clear with his speech to Elena at the end of the episode.

Later in the season, he was the ONLY one campaigning for the Klaus' death by Bonnie Bennett, even though he knew by then that she would most likely die in the process. Remember the " I'll write her a great Eulogy" line? He would have gladly let Bonnie die to save Elena, so no, I disagree, Damon has always been all about Elena, and her survival, because that has been presented in the show, and is still being presented in the show right now.

Bonnie and Damon are only really one season in to their development has friends. Before that, they tolerated each others presence for the sake of a common goal, I don't see anything else other than that prior to S6 tbh, and believe me, as a Damon fan, I watch all of  his scenes closely, and several times lol.

Having said all that, my post is really coming at this from a Damon character POV, there is nothing stopping Bonnie from falling for Damon IMO, her heart is free to be given, but Damons' isn't, Elena is still very much Damons heart. I don't want Bonnie to fall in love with Damon for this reason, because I want her to have the love she deserves, that is hers alone without the spectre of Elena hanging over it. After 7 seasons, it's about time our sexy witch got a great love.

• Love 2

I think you are right to a point. Damon does care about Bonnie, and I'm sure the affection he feels for her is true and genuine. I've always believed that about his character, and I have argued that point with many fans who believe Damon doesn't care about anyone outside of Elena, or that he pretends to care to win points with her.

Damon builds friendships aside from Elena, and cares deeply for his friends, and I would go as far as to say there is some degree of love, but those dynamics aren't unique or exclusive to Bonnie. He had those dynamics with Alaric and Liz, and to a lesser degree Carol Lockwood. He cared enough about Rose to try and find a cure for her wolf bite, and when that was unsuccessful, he euthanized her in the comfort of his arms, without fear and pain.

Damon responds well (not always perfectly), to those who treat him well, who believe in him and trust him, this treatment is not reserved for Bonnie only, which is why I see nothing in there interactions that we haven't seen before. Remember his grief when Ric died? when Liz died?

There are only two people in the world that Damon would love above his closest friends, and they are Elena and Stefan, and for either of them he would sacrifice all of his friends, i'm sure of that.

Since the what is being presented on screen is a deepening friendship, that is what I take from all the Bamon interactions, and I like them mostly.

However, all Damons' current actions are driven by his feelings for Elena, just as they always have since he fell in love with her back in S1.

In S2, The Last Dance, Damon found out by eavesdropping that there was a 50/50 chance Bonnie could die channeling enough witch power to kill Klaus. He asked her if there was a way of increasing her odds of survival, but he didn't ask her not to do it, and ultimately when he realized that Klaus was protected in Alarics body, he didn't want Bonnie to waste her powers and die in a futile mission- He wanted to save the "weapon" for another day, and he made that point very clear with his speech to Elena at the end of the episode.

Later in the season, he was the ONLY one campaigning for the Klaus' death by Bonnie Bennett, even though he knew by then that she would most likely die in the process. Remember the " I'll write her a great Eulogy" line? He would have gladly let Bonnie die to save Elena, so no, I disagree, Damon has always been all about Elena, and her survival, because that has been presented in the show, and is still being presented in the show right now.

Bonnie and Damon are only really one season in to their development has friends. Before that, they tolerated each others presence for the sake of a common goal, I don't see anything else other than that prior to S6 tbh, and believe me, as a Damon fan, I watch all of his scenes closely, and several times lol.

Having said all that, my post is really coming at this from a Damon character POV, there is nothing stopping Bonnie from falling for Damon IMO, her heart is free to be given, but Damons' isn't, Elena is still very much Damons heart. I don't want Bonnie to fall in love with Damon for this reason, because I want her to have the love she deserves, that is hers alone without the spectre of Elena hanging over it. After 7 seasons, it's about time our sexy witch got a great love.

Damon definitely mourned Alaric all true, but he didn't do anything to try and bring him back from the dead, with Bonnie he is the soul reason (no pun intended) that she was revived. He also told Elena in the Prom episode that he would ALWAYS choose her and then proceeded to choose Bonnie twice after that statement.

Bonnie and Damon have a symbiotic and bizarre relationship unlike any other on the show and despite how little he appeared to care for her in season 1 he has never actively tried to kill her which says something considering it's Damon and he's killed Alaric, Jeremy, attempted to kill Caroline, Tyler and Vicki and flat out killed poor Lexi.

@doram Considering Damon routinely kills his "best friends" when he's pissed off I don't rank him "threatening Bonnie" in frustration and exhaustion to any more abusive than Damon being Damon, this is a guy who kills the brother of a woman he purports to love right in front of her. There was no inherent threat in what Damon was saying to Bonnie, those two were clinging to each other like shipwreck survivors to buoys.

Bonnie was able to domesticate Damon in a way (I suspect) he always wanted. A vampire sitting down eating dinner at the same time every night, doing the crossword and arguing about breakfast, they even shopped together and were so in sync that they were matching sunglasses. It was fairly obvious there was no inherent threat to Bonnie in anything he said, it was definitely rude but it's Damon, what else is new?

@missvanilla I think that KG and IS definitely infused Bonnie and Damon's scenes with something more since season 2, there's always something going on below the surface and it's even easier to see when you realize that they have the same acting coach so they have probably been rehearsing their scenes together for quite some time. At least I've been able to see a lot more going on the what's on the surface and I've seen it since episode 1. IS even said that TPTB separated their scenes to keep the audience and chemistry focused on Delena.

Edited by slayer2
  • Love 1

Damon definitely mourned Alaric all true, but he didn't do anything to try and bring him back from the dead, with Bonnie he is the soul reason (no pun intended) that she was revived. He also told Elena in the Prom episode that he would ALWAYS choose her and then proceeded to choose Bonnie twice after that statement.

Bonnie and Damon have a symbiotic and bizarre relationship unlike any other on the show and despite how little he appeared to care for her in season 1 he has never actively tried to kill her which says something considering it's Damon and he's killed Alaric, Jeremy, attempted to kill Caroline, Tyler and Vicki and flat out killed poor Lexi.

In fairness, until it was revealed that it was possible to  bring someone back from the other side permanently, I'm not convinced by this argument, since the last time anyone mentioned it, it involved bringing back the entire supernatural dead, and none of them except mind whammied Bonnie was prepared to do that. Furthermore, if you factor in that Damon was "happy" for once in his life with Elena, he had grieved Ric, and moved on.

Damon is intuitive, he knows how much Bonnie means to Elena. He saw first hand how important Bonnie is in Elenas life, to the point she wouldn't entertain Bonnie sacrificing her life for her in S2, much to his frustration. In S4, his motivation for bringing Bonnie back from that Island was for Elena, because Bonnie was the best chance they had at saving Jeremy, and Jeremy was Elenas last link to her humanity since she turned, and Damon had vocalized that she wouldn't survive this (loss)- Bonnie had brought Jer back from the dead before remember.

Similar situation in S5 really, he knew how much the death of Bonnie would hurt Elena. How else woud you explain the complete lack of interaction between Damon and Bonnie after her return as the anchor? did they even have one single convo about it? Don't get me wrong, Damon had no specific desire to see Bonnie dead, but there was no love lost either, and it was no skin off his nose really, and he had everything to gain. At this point, I feel Damon had a respect for Bonnie after what she had sacrificed for Elena and Jeremy, but that was a secondary facet to his actions IMO. 

I think Damon does respect the power of witches in general, and recognizes them as probably the most powerful of all the supernaturals in this universe considering he made a deal with one back in 1864. Witches have been his closest allies in his life, and his enemies, and he well aware of there mercurial ways, hence his nickname "judgey" for Bonnie. Damon has a strong connection with the Bennett line, and for the most part, he has been loyal to the promise he made to Emily Bennett at the start of the series. 

I don't understand how he chose Bonnie above Elena ever? That circumstance hasn't arisen yet. As far as I can tell, he is still choosing Elena, the Elena he knows and loves, the Elena he knows would want Bonnie to live a long and happy life, before Elena gets to live hers. That is the story being told right now, it is exactly what is driving Damons inner conflict. He has been tempted to allow her die, to have Elena back, but would he be getting the Elena back he wants, if her friend died in her name at his hands, or by proxy?  The answer to that is no, and Damon knows this. Also, to complicate matters further: A) Narratively speaking, since 1994, he has a special bond with Bonnie now (debateable), B- he owes her, since she sent him back from the prison world and saved him.

The facts are as follows;

Damon and Bonnie were forced to spend 4 months together alone in prison world 1994.

They annoyed the hell out of each other, and spent most of that time bickering like pre school children (canon).

They has a couple of bonding moments over the shared loss of their loved ones. (canon)

They talked mainly about Elena ( Well Damon talked, Bonnie listened)- not shown on the show. (canon- ish)

Damon returns home, and misses Bonnies' company and friendship after Elena refuses to see him or speak to him.

Damon realizes Bonnie is still alive.

Through a sense of decency and loyalty, he formulates a plan to save her (IMO, he would've done the same for Ric or Liz)

His mission fails and he is devastated, he couldn't save her. Elena still doesn't love/know him, but he didn't turn off his humanity- like he did with Enzo.

His sense of loyalty keeps him tenacious, and he and Elena conspire with Kai to get Bonnie back, and he leaves her a huge clue, even though the mission turns out to be a bust.

Damon gets distracted by Elena in between waiting for the next celestial event, and Bonnie saves herself using Damons clue- genius!!!!

Bonnie returns, and the next time we see them after Ian and Kat ( sorry Bamon koala hug), Damon is back to prioritizing his affections. He puts his mother first.

In mitigation, he had no idea how traumatized Bonnie was, and how rotten his mother is, but still.

Look, I will admit that I'm not sold on this whole Bonnie and Damon thing, and maybe that is because I love Damon and Elena, both together and seperately, but I do love Bonnie too, please know this.

Bonnie is my fave female character after Elena, and since Elena is gone, she is my number one. 

As my number one right now, I want her to have the best, and Damon is not it for her while Elena is still in the picture.

What they have right now is a good dynamic, perhaps we should just enjoy that and see how it all plays out,

• Love 1

But they still made a suicide pact. I mean, these were people who were so fed up with each other that they actually made a pact to kill themselves rather than spend the rest of their lives together.

Think about that.

I thought about it and that's a rather twisted reading of the situation. That's all I'm going to say in order to avoid some long drawn out discussion about it because people have clearly made up their minds one way or the other.

In other news, I really wish Bonnie could get some witchy friends or, at least, a mentor. Aside from her relatives, the witches on this show pretty much suck. Gemini Coven? Heretics? We can do better than that! And how powerful is Bonnie at this point? Sometimes she's the Big Witch on Campus, but more often than not, she seems to just be sticking with her headache inducing routine. 

• Love 2

I see we've been watching the same show.

Indeed my dear, indeed! Popcorn?

I thought about it and that's a rather twisted reading of the situation. That's all I'm going to say in order to avoid some long drawn out discussion about it because people have clearly made up their minds one way or the other.

In other news, I really wish Bonnie could get some witchy friends or, at least, a mentor. Aside from her relatives, the witches on this show pretty much suck. Gemini Coven? Heretics? We can do better than that! And how powerful is Bonnie at this point? Sometimes she's the Big Witch on Campus, but more often than not, she seems to just be sticking with her headache inducing routine.

I feel the same way only part of me doesn't want her relatives because I'm sure they'll just bring them on to kill them. I was always so pleased that Lucy walked away instead of ending up in a body bag.

I also think it's a skewed reading re:the suicide pact. Agree to disagree.

@missvanilla If you don't like Bamon and are not particularly sold on Bonnie or the pairing then I can't imagine you seeing any of the chemistry that Bamon fans IS or KG see. The writers and producers have been working incredibly hard to keep you in that mindset as well so it's not particularly surprising.

Edited by slayer2
  • Love 1

I was rushing here to say that Damon and Alaric and Liz. He also saved Caroline and Tyler from Klaus if season 2. Bonnie is useful to Damon, she's the Salvatore's magical wildcard and he knows she sees Elena as a sister and will do anything for Elena's sake. I think that now that Elena is gone, the producers will do Bamon but it was never planned. It's not part of the source material and Julie wanted to kill Bonnie in season 5 like someone already mentioned. I don't know how they'll hook up without making Bonnie look bad. Sadly, Damon would just be forgiven by everyone but it's Bonnie who will seem like a traitor. It's the same way people still hold it against Elena from going from Stefan to Damon even though she was sire bond but the same people who hate her for this forgive Damon for chasing after his little brother's true love.

By the way, why do Bamon fans like saying that you have to like Bamon to like Bonnie? I don't like Bamon but I like Bonnie and I think a lot of people here are the same.

I also find it strange the way they say that there's been a conspiracy to stop Bamon from happening. By whom? The Illuminati?

• Love 2

@missvanilla If you don't like Bamon and are not particularly sold on Bonnie or the pairing then I can't imagine you seeing any of the chemistry that Bamon fans IS or KG see. The writers and producers have been working incredibly hard to keep you in that mindset as well so it's not particularly surprising.

I never said I didn't like Bamon, just that I'm not sold on romantic Bamon, there is a huge difference. The perception of chemistry is subjective, so of course not everyone will see what I see, or what you see for that matter, and did you miss the part where I stated that Bonnie is my fave female on the show right now?

I perceive the writers working hard to promote Bamon as a deep friendship on the show, and that is backed up in their media interviews where they are consistently reiterating their intentions to keep them as friends.

And now we have Enzo in the mix, and they seem to building the foundations for their future relationship in the current timeline, which is saw is still a thing 3 yrs into the future. 

• Love 3

When the characters actually say, "we promised to drink the best bourborn and kill ourselves together", it's not a reading, it's the text. The subtext is when you try to find a deeper meaning into it other than what is being said or done.   I think some people are so invested in Bamon as a ship, that they pretty much try to find things that aren't there in their dynamic. That's also OK, too because we all watch the show for different things. 

I'm not at all invested in Bamon. Couldn't care less at this point. I'm just saying that what you quoted there re: bourbon and suicide does not play at all to me as them being so fed up with each other that they'd rather kill themselves than be around each other forever. That's just ridiculous. They were stuck in 1994 and didn't have much hope of getting out. Just repeating the same stuff over and over again thinking that they'd never get to see the people they cared about again. That's a lot for anyone to take. I'd have been surprised if one or the other of them hadn't contemplated suicide at some point. And it wasn't until Bonnie was all by herself that it ever really became a serious threat. None of this is me looking for a deeper meaning. It's pretty much what we saw on the screen. 

ETA: I've liked the Bonnie character since Day 1. Part of the reason why I can't stand Caroline anymore is because she really doesn't have much to do outside of Stefan. Even her mom dying got turned into the Stefan show. I like that Bonnie and Damon are friends because it gets her more screen-time, but I dislike it as well because I want her to have her own story. And I don't count pairing her off with that bozo, Enzo, as getting her own story. The writers have done a really poor job of integrating Enzo and I don't want Bonnie getting sidelined again. Part of why I want more witches and/or Bennetts. 

Edited by prospazzinator
  • Love 4

I never said I didn't like Bamon, just that I'm not sold on romantic Bamon, there is a huge difference. The perception of chemistry is subjective, so of course not everyone will see what I see, or what you see for that matter, and did you miss the part where I stated that Bonnie is my fave female on the show right now?

I perceive the writers working hard to promote Bamon as a deep friendship on the show, and that is backed up in their media interviews where they are consistently reiterating their intentions to keep them as friends.

And now we have Enzo in the mix, and they seem to building the foundations for their future relationship in the current timeline, which is saw is still a thing 3 yrs into the future.

When I say Bamon I'm using their shipper name to denote romantic Bamon not Bamon as friends. I disagree that the writers are working hard to push a Bamon friendship. I think they're appeasing IS but I don't think they're giving it anywhere near the attention they give everything else, nor the attention Bonnie and Damon's friendship deserves.

@prospazz ETA I'd like Bonnie to have her own storyline as well and not simply be a plot point for the others. I'd like to see her interact with family and mourn her dad which she never got a chance to do. KG is an actress of phenomenal talents and they are so very wasted on this show.

To the two posters above who joked the illuminati. No. When people write TPTB The Powers That Be (as per Angel) and they generally mean the writers/producers and people in charge. It's common knowledge that Plec and Dries don't like writing for Bonnie and value her less than the rest of the characters. I'm fairly certain Ian Somerhalder isn't simply pulling conspiracy theories out of his ass since he works on the show and works with Plec and Dries as an actor and director and (for better or worse) receiver of their clear obsession with him.

Edited by slayer2
  • Love 1

It IS a sinister reason unless low-key racism isn't sinister anymore. Same reason Bonkai, Bonnie/Kol and Bonnie/Matt were all shut down so she could be shelved with the least relevant and least liked male character in the show. They could have easily put her with Matt with whom she already has plenty of history AND shippers and plenty of TVDers would love for Matt to have a storyline, myself included.

Edited by slayer2
  • Love 3

I'd love it if KG left because then I could finally quit this fakakta show. I'm thinking HTGAWM, or even better Empire!!

Didn't know BonKai was going to be a thing, would have been cool. Was pretty sure Plec shot it down in the same way she shot down Bonnie/Kol. I did like that Kai shipped Bamon though.

Edited by slayer2
  • Love 1

Exactly @doram.

And whats this "why can't they throw us bone" business?? would that make any fan happy? It's not what I want for Bonnie for sure. 

If romantic Bamon ever happens, it would have to be for keeps, and Elena would need to be dead and gone forever.Any other scenario would just be character assassination for both Damon and Bonnie.

I just feel like unless Bamon happens, those shippers will never be satisfied with Bonnies story, like that is the be all and end all. Bonnie is currently on screen much more than she ever was, she is paired with the most popular lead character (arguably depending on pov),, and is knee deep in the most entertaining plot of TVD this season and the race card still rears it's head at how badly she is treated. I think CA would have more to complain about than her, since Carolines' story and characterization is just so awful, and has been for quite a while.

@Bobbysgurl- I'm sorry you feel upset at some of the negativity about Bonnie, I get it, but your original post set the tone of negativity towards other characters. Its the nature of the beast, since others feel just as passionately about their ships or characters as you do, and naturally will defend POV. 

Just because I prefer DE over Bamon, does not mean I don't like Bonnie, my comments are in defense of the attempt to undermine my fave, not because I don't like Bonnie.

• Love 3

Really? The race card?

Wow, so not a card, but I do find it incredibly racist whenever people use that expression especially when it comes from a place of privilege and a lack of understanding yet what's even worse a complete unwillingness to understand. Simply shrugging off someone's valid concerns about racism with a flippant "oh race card" as if there is such a card in such a game being somehow played implying a lack of seriousness to the issue. As if America wasn't built on the backs of slaves the likes of which the character of Bonnie's ancestors play on the show (without any sensitivity whatsoever to the issue) only to have her play a modern day slave to her friends with all her sacrificing and "lack of desirability" inherent in the script. 

Also, please don't speak for Bamon fans, you don't have liberty to speak for the fandom an are incorrect in doing so.

Let's see.... so many articles on racism and racist writing towards and around Bonnie by Plec and Vampire Diaries and that was just the first few I pulled up.

https://shannonjeanna.wordpress.com/2015/07/17/the-problematic-treatment-of-people-of-color-on-the-vampire-diaries/

http://race.iheartsociology.com/2013/11/the-vampire-diaries-continues-racism-in-the-media/

http://writeturnlove.tumblr.com/post/126073020674/hollywood-racism-julie-plec-and-the-vampire

http://irresistible-revolution.tumblr.com/post/34927148809/the-mammification-of-bonnie-bennett-or-why-we

http://www.fangsforthefantasy.com/2014/05/race-on-vampire-diaries-and-originals.html

specifically and entirely with respect to Bonnie Bennett and juxtaposed with the writing for the rest of the girls on the show http://darwinquark.tumblr.com/post/30184373129/bonnie-bennett-fandom-being-marginalized-and

http://leianaberrie.tumblr.com/post/116321624768/the-problem-with-bonnie-bennett-summarized-by-a

Edited by slayer2
  • Love 4

If this show is renewed, it will be because of "The Three Amigos", Bonnie, Damon, and Alaric. So, IMO, at some point they are going to have to stop writing Elena's SL.

I watched TVD, S1 through S5, a week before S7 started. Netflix got S6 a little too late for me to watch the entire season, so I didn't watch it before the first episode of S7 aired.

Here's my point: Damon has been looking at Bonnie the way no male should be looking at a female unless he is interested in her. Whether it was a directing choice or Ian's choice, it was and has been clearly there. The sexual tension has been off the chain between these two characters.

It reminds me of the time of Sexis, if any of you remember, back in the day when GH allowed us to believe Sexis would happen. I believed in the "logical progression theory" back then.

Forgive me, I digress. Anyway, Delena fans hate Bonnie because they fear she might get with Damon. Stelena fans say Bonnie shouldn't get with Damon because she Elena's BFF and that that would be all kinds of wrong.

Let me tell you, what is all kinds of wrong: sleeping with your boyfriend's brother. That is the lowest thing a girl could do.

Bonnie is a beautiful and caring woman. Loyal to a fault. Yet, she can't even get her own "real" LI. Plec and Dries need to stop playing games.

Bonnie would not look twice at Enzo, and Enzo would not look twice at Bonnie. There is no rhyme or reason for the two of them to get together, "Today" or "3 Years from Now."

Damon mentioning Elena in every scene has gotten old. I hope she is not mentioned in every episode until the end of the season or till the end of the show. I for one am done with it.

Give Bonnie a chance with Damon, TVD. There is love there between the two. Damon did not start out obsessing over Bonnie, so it's possible for him to know what genuine love is until his obsession regains consciousness.

Rant and rumblings over for now.

The highlighted parts hold negative connotations for the DE ship and Elena, and slights against fans, and that is fine, you are entitled to that opinion, but then people will react and defend with their opinion, and they are just as valid. Calling out the writers as racists, or other fans as @slayer has done is just not acceptable IMO, so this will be my last post in relation to this topic. Like you, I have been around the fandom a long time, and I have no wish to see the discussion devolve into those type of fan wars of old, so I'm withdrawing. 

Edited by miss-vanilla
  • Love 1

Enzo at least, has never actually got together with anyone else on the show so let's see how that goes.

No thanks! I am way over Bonnie being paired with throw-away guys that no one else would want. They have no chem, no reason for interacting and he's one of the worst and most pointless males on TVD

• Love 3

So someone brought this up earlier and I've always wondered too. What are Bonnie's power levels? This series has never really explored if witches have varying degrees of power. It seems if you are born a witch it's only a matter of learning how to harness your power and collecting spells. And I think they're supposed to be the most powerful supernaturals but they're always written as glass canons and taken out very easily.

Bonnie's greatest magic moments mostly seem to have come from her either having borrowed power or by abusing power (expression). Her regular abilities are so up and down. She seemed fairly powerful when she was in 1994 and got her powers back since the spell to send Damon back seemed complicated. But in the current time back in Mystic Falls she doesn't seem that powerful. Like why did she slowly mind whammy that heretic? Couldn't she have just set him on fire? Or decapiate him? I guess plot. But I wish the show develed into witches and magic more. They seem to just set them aside as plot devices though.

• Love 2

I haven't watched the last episode (kind of don't want to) but someone tell me what's happening with Bonnie... I am this close to not watching anymore out of boredom. When will entire episodes be in the future? I am asking because they seem to be my refuge away from those boring fauxriginals who are inexplicably British.

Something I wanted to say about Beremy: I thought it was super cute, I really liked Jeremy in season 2 and thought they were super hot together. Then they had him cheat on her with a ghost. I was done, wasn't there anything else they could have done? Or simply not have him go as far as kissing Anna? After that I just was grossed out and it didn't help that Jeremy got annoying again and then they got back together, I didn't care except for the fact that I was glad that there was one designated Bonnie person who was about protecting her...then the grossness of him blaming her for dying and then spending his summer banging everything that moved was the cement on the ground six feet above the coffin. Then his woe is me crap while people were actually trying to bring her back and then not really caring that she was back, on top of basically telling her he didn't bother to try for her because he "didn't want to be disappointed again", rme. Anyway, I am talking about this because I am terrified this will be the blue print for Bozo (such a fitting ship name); her caring more than her boyfriend while she is his consolation prize. Even grosser here since Enzo is smarting over not getting Lily! How offensive is that!? It's like they thought "well...people will never believe he just woke up and saw how hot Bonnie is. I know! We can have him be into Lily for no pre-established reason and then have him e heartbroken and turn to Bonnie because of that!"

Anyhoo, Bonnie centred sentiment: when will she get a storyline? Unlike what some people (coughwriterscough) think, giving a character a LI is not necessarily giving them a SL. Especially when the one in question is the worst character on the show and is played by the one actor who doesn't have chemistry with Kaat. Seriously... My cynical self is imagining the sigh of relief in the writers' room when they saw there was no spark and therefore no chance of people getting invested in the relationship because lbr, if people care more about Bozo, it's for Bonnie...almost nobody gives a flying fuck about Enzo. They should just kill her off, it's all so painful to watch. 

Whatever... what I was coming here to discuss is the possibility of her having family members still out there? I want her to have witch friends and since a coven was killed for her, I doubt any non-related coven would approach her. Unless they themselves are outcasts. Also, she and Matt are the only humans left, what is her life plan? AT  least Matt wants to be a police man and protect humans. Bonnie doesn't talk about what she'd like to do or what she once wanted to do. Does't mention following in her grams' footsteps or maybe opening some kind of shop like we see other witches do. Something not Salvatore related. Anything.

• Love 2

So far this season I'm enjoying Bonnie when she's helping with the current crisis. But I could honestly do without the romance stuff with her this year. It's currently looking like she's pining after someone who isn't even interested in her. It's bad enough she's always gotten the short end of the stick as far as romances go on the show but to make her seem like the desperate one? That was never Bonnie. I am interested in seeing her working to figure out more about the stone and the sword. And I hope we see more magic from here. The heretics are getting to do all the cool spells.

And I hate that now that we are finally getting some Bonnie/Matt interactions he's pissed at her (and rightly so after the latest episode). 

Edited by Couver
  • Love 1

I feel like they should have taken care of Lily/Enzo first, I don't understand why there always needs to be some type of triangle on the show. I don't think Bonnie is looking desperate maybe its only me but there seems to be mild interest coming from both Bonnie and Enzo, hopefully we can move on from Lily.

One thing that's frustrating is that the show cannot handle many interactions what happened to the Bamon scenes also when was the last time Bonnie/Stefan interacted?

Edited by roses
  • Love 1

One thing that's frustrating is that the show cannot handle many interactions what happened to the Bamon scenes also when was the last time Bonnie/Stefan interacted?

This is a very good point and something this show does all the freaking time. I get that they don't want to do romantic Bamon that's fine. But how many episodes has it been since Damon and Bonnie have spoken? For apparent best friends they aren't talking much at all. And I am blaming that on them trying to prop Bonnie/Enzo. It's supposed to be watered down Bamon anyway so I guess Enzo gets to be a love interest and a friend. Blech. I mean they basically dropped the Damon/Enzo friendship after Alaric came back anyway. 

I would love to see Bonnie/Stefan have some scenes together. I know Bonnie had her issues with him in the past. But that was ages ago in season 1. Of the vampires we've seen on the show Stefan would be one of the few Bonnie would be more open to trusting and being friends with. But I mean Matt went so many seasons without having a one on one scene with Stefan that I was literally shocked when they interacted early on this season because I was searching my brain for when that last happened and I couldn't even remember. 

This show can't keep that many balls in the air I guess. Which is a shame because they have a really great cast. 

• Love 2

I like all 3 of the main female leads but Bonnie is my favorite. Despite her lack of focus of the 3 I've just always identified more with her character traits. Plus KG is just stunning. She looks particularly amazing this season. 

I hope we get more interactions with the heretics and Bonnie soon. Or at least Valerie. It would be nice to see her interact with more witches.

• Love 1

I just saw the spoiler thread. I'll take that! This show is at its best when the characters aren't all isolated on their own little islands. That is sadly something that has happened to Bonnie a lot over the seasons. I'm glad she's mixing it up this season. 

Edited by Couver

Am I the only one that did not see the Bonora chemistry? I think Bonnie had more chemistry with Liv Parker in season 5. They should have made her the gay twin.

And if they make Bonnie/Nora romantic I'll love it even more. I think it would be a nice way to explain Bonnie's lowkey romantic/sex life compared with the other girls' if she's been a repressed gay/bi all this while. 

(edited)

Am I the only one that did not see the Bonora chemistry? I think Bonnie had more chemistry with Liv Parker in season 5. They should have made her the gay twin.

I didn't see it either, they're forcing it. Although I do see it with Enzo, they're forcing it there as well to take the focus off Bamon like always. *sigh*

Aside: I will always be grateful that Chloe Sullivan was finally able to secure a hottie for herself in Green Arrow and I floved their ship but I will always remember that it was partly strategic in an effort to diminish any romantic ties Chloe could have had with Clark to make way for Lois. This Bonenzo thing in lieu of Bamon feels quite a bit like that.

If Bonnie is representative of any character, repeatedly ignored, abused, deus-ex-machina while denied any social ties or sexual agency of her own then she is most certainly Chloe Sullivan in this scenario.

Edited by slayer2

I posted this elsewhere and wanted to bring it over here!

I still have no idea which personality traits Bonnie is supposed to have other than, I guess, snarky but helpful when it comes down to it...? Like is she shy or outgoing, does she tend to follow her head or her heart, what are her interests outside of being a witch, what are her salient strengths and flaws...? But I've grown to really like her and her dynamic with Damon anyway.

ITA she's far too often reduced to a plot device, but I'm just so interested in who the writers even think she's SUPPOSED to be, you know?! Like even though Caroline, Stefan, Damon etc. are sometimes written inconsistently, I still have an idea of what their core personalities are---or, again, at least supposed to be. But who IS Bonnie Bennett aside from snarky and powerful and played by one of the most gorgeous actresses alive?! I really like her and want to love her, so I'd love to hear how people fankwank her and answers to some of my above rambling questions :) 

• Love 1
(edited)

Ouch! That's harsh but true. The show has treated the character very poorly over the years. It's been so apparent that it's usually just a running gag at this point even when people are reviewing the show. I think Bonnie's situation as a character was really encapsulated when she was dead and on the other side. You'd see her there watching everyone do things, like Elena & Caroline at college. But none of them could see her. Unless she's needed very few characters care about her well being the way they do some of the other characters on the show. And her extended family and the losses she has suffered have NEVER gotten the attention they deserve. I mean how sad is it that she is an original character and we've never known what she ever wanted to do with her life. Being a witch is not a job. We know Elena wanted to be a doctor, we know Caroline was into acting. But Bonnie? Outside of occult interests nothing. 

With that said I do think we've seen the character grow from season 1 until now. I attribute a lot of that to KG though. Bonnie was beyond background when the show started. She was kind of an air head and silly/cute. Her role expanded once they made her a foil to the vampires (especially Damon). 7 seasons in I think her biggest character trait is being self sacrificing to her own detriment. That's been the one constant for her. I was hoping she would be a bit more concerned with herself when she got out of the prison world but clearly that didn't happen. 

I just started watching The Originals and I wish they had let Bonnie cross over there a few times. 

Edited by Couver
  • Love 2

Kat is coming back for Season 8, but said that would be her last. Apparently Ian Somerhalder said somewhere that Season 8 would be the end of the series, but that isn't official yet, I don't think?

• Love 2

In season 6, Bonnie manages to grab the cure from 1994. But how? There are a couple of things she needed to do it the first time. Expression and Silas. Well, we know that she absorbed Quetsuyah's magic from the stone, but that wasn't Expression. And in the prison world, there were no people there, including humans, witches, vampires, werewolves, and hybrids. So how was she able to get the cure if he wasn't there?