Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E03: Born Dead

Gretchen makes an attempt to reconnect with her old group of friends by throwing herself a housewarming party. Jimmy does his best to affirm his belief that friends are for babies. Edgar continues his pursuit of Lindsay, and Lindsay meets her estranged husband’s new girlfriend.

I have had plenty of friends that had children and didn't act like that. I had two kids and remember that I had friends who didnt have kids. I also left my kids with a sitter to go out. I know!!!! The Horror!! Worst mom ever. You can come out the other side and remember that you are not only a mom, but a human being as well. This episode hacked me off

• Love 3

I thought this was fantastic.  Great jokes like the ever-heightening on the sad story of how Connor lost Mimi (they were briefly onscreen last season as the two other recumbent bike pals of Paul), and a surprisingly emotional climax delivered by, of all people, Vernon. And by now I kind of expect that Gretchen and Jimmy will have little moments of personal growth now and then, but Lindsay's self-awareness caught me off guard. Just an amazing episode.

• Love 3

Arynm, I totally get what you're saying because I have had friends who had kids and were still able to socialize (without their kids) like regular adults, but there are also people who have kids and then suddenly everything revolves around the kids and being a mom and those are the people who say things like, "You don't understand because you're not a mom. One day you'll get it." When you have kids, your life does change but some people take it in stride and other people can be really condescending about it.

On the flip side, I found it kind of sad that all Gretchen wanted to do was get drunk with her old friends. She hadn't seen them in forever and she didn't really want to catch up with them. She just wanted everyone to get plastered. If that's the only activity your group has, are you really friends? Ha, I know I shouldn't take this show so seriously.

Poor Edgar. He is on the road to heartbreak with Lindsay. He can make savory mashed potato cupcakes for me any time!

Ha, and I totally felt for Jimmy. Is there anything worse than stalking someone on instagram or twitter and then having someone else accidentally like one of their posts? I kind of loved how proud Jimmy was of not having any friends.

Kether continues to crack me up whenever food is involved. I loved when she told Edgar they were out of chips as she poured the rest of the bowl into her mouth.

Does Jimmy have an endless supply of coasters that he was carrying around in his pocket?

• Love 6

Yay! Killian's back! The kid looked so cute in his bartender outfit mixing drinks and turning down Lindsay with a serious "I'm working."

The way Paul looked at Lindsay and Edgar at the end... he doesn't still have feelings for her, does he? I hope not. Their marriage was a disaster. I also would like Edgar to have some chance though it's pretty obvious he's getting his heart broken. What Lindsay said about Paul, Amy, and Edgar being nice and knowing that she wasn't-- it's a lot more self-aware than I thought her character to be.

As for Gretchen's friends, I think it's more than her friends had kids and changed. There was also the one who was a teacher and in AA who didn't party anymore. I think it was more that they've moved on to another stage in life-- a more responsible stage-- and aren't that interested in drinking and partying. Sometimes friends grow older and have less in common than they used to. Happens a lot.

• Love 3

Your late 20s, early 30s is this weird divergance between friends prsuing families and those who aren't.

Its already starting for me, and I`m only in my mid 20s! Half of my friends are married or getting married, are buying homes and settling down, and the other half are still going out and living like their still in college. It makes hanging out with everyone kind of difficult.

Great episode, as always. I am always so impressed by how well this show does emotion, as well as humor. Lindsay having a moment of self awareness was a great scene. This show does a great job of slipping those characterization beats in there. This show can be laugh out loud funny, but I really just enjoy the characters so much. I have so much weird affection for all of them and their dysfunctional ways.  

• Love 1

Yeah, I had some friends go sanctimonious on me once they had kids.

I was so excited to see Mageina Tovah as Amy-- it's like her Glynis from Joan of Arcadia changed her name and moved to Cali!

• Love 1
As for Gretchen's friends, I think it's more than her friends had kids and changed. There was also the one who was a teacher and in AA who didn't party anymore. I think it was more that they've moved on to another stage in life-- a more responsible stage-- and aren't that interested in drinking and partying. Sometimes friends grow older and have less in common than they used to. Happens a lot.

Yes.  I don't think anyone was really "wrong" in this situation.  Instead, they just projected their vision of how the night would go which was based on the lives they were living at that moment. 

Other than living with her boyfriend, who is equally afraid of getting old and "boring", Gretchen's life/lifestyle hasnt' changed much.  In fact, her current life has blended so much into her past life that she didn't even realize that it had been years since they had hung out and not just a couple of months. 

The life of her friends had changed.  So they saw a get together at her house as something different than the PARTAAAAAY Gretchen planned on throwing.  They all thought they were speaking the same language but they no longer were.

• Love 1

I'm in my late 30's, and my husband and I are still partying. I am never having kids, so that could be part of it.  I can tell you right now that if someone brought a baby to my house (especially to a party), I would either get hammered and start purposefully being super inappropriate in front of them, or just kick them out. Who brings a baby to a party, seriously?