Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E02: Crevasses

I enjoyed the return of Jimmy the Pretentious Writer because he is so fun to laugh at. Poor David Wallace.

The actress who plays Lindsay looked like she really enjoyed going to town on those wings (although now I'm reminded of some behind the scenes footage from Cheers where John Ratzenberger and George Wentz had to do multiple takes eating something that they hated).

I have to admit that Gretchen's behavior in this episode was perplexing to me because it's not like Jimmy said she had to buy half of Bed Bath & Beyond. He really just wanted her to buy her own toothbrush which she could have done by going to the grocery store, 7/11, or Target. And as, not even an adult but just a person, wouldn't she want her own toothbrush? I mean, I wanted my own toothbrush even when I was a little kid. And that was even before she freaked out about Jimmy not wanting to make space for her stuff.

I loved how helpless Jimmy and Gretchen were without Edgar to make their Bloody Marys. Mayonnaise? Ugh! But the raw carrots sticking out of the glasses cracked me up.

• Love 6

I enjoyed the return of Jimmy the Pretentious Writer because he is so fun to laugh at. Poor David Wallace.

But who just says “Brontë”? (“Salinger, Brontë, Ralph Ellison, Sylvia Plath. The expectation of a second novel can paralyze some.”) There were three Brontë sisters—Charlotte, Emily, and Anne—and Emily only published Wuthering Heights.

The actress who plays Lindsay looked like she really enjoyed going to town on those wings.

Kether Donohue spoke to Alan Stepinwall about being “TV fat”: http://hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/youre-the-worst-co-star-kether-donohue-on-the-joys-of-being-tv-fat

There was this bucket on set and in that situation the prop guy gives me a (chance to spit). However, when me and Aya shoot our fro-yo scenes, in between takes, I’m still eating, and Aya goes, "Kether, you know you don’t have to eat in between takes, right?" And I call her "Bya" when she’s being bossy, so I’m like, "Shut up, Bya. I want to eat this. I’m making a conscious choice to eat this fro-yo."

Edited by editorgrrl

I am consistently amazed that Gretchen and Jimmy have become one of my favorite coupes on TV. I just love them, dysfunction and all. 

Jimmy only being able to write stories with hidden Nazi war criminals in them was hysterical. I always love when pretentious writer Jimmy hows up. Now if only we could get the fake mustache of disguise again...

Too much funny to quote in just one post. I especially loved the montage of Jimmy and Gretchen running amok all over the mall. Those two really are made for each other. 

• Love 1

The mall security guard (played by Steve Agee, who was one of the neighbors on The Sarah Silverman Program) was a pizza delivery guy last season.  Gretchen had ordered a pizza and when he brought it she asked him a similar question as Jimmy did in this episode - why he chose to be a pizza delivery guy or was he fulfilled doing that, or something to that effect - and he gave a similar pot-centric monologue of a reply, ending with "I guess it just suits my lifestyle."  Nice call back.

I'm enjoying this season, but it seems have more silliness as opposed to the edginess and quirkiness of last season.  Hot chick/male friend/unrequited love is an old trope (as is wing sauce on the face, even if it's supposed to contrast with lingerie in a glamour shot. I guess that's why Lindsay didn't wash it off hours later), and Gretchen being overwhelmed about "stuff" was a little OTT. 

Edited by Lone Wolf
  • Love 2
wing sauce on the face, even if it's supposed to contrast with lingerie in a glamour shot. I guess that's why Lindsay didn't wash it off hours later

I thought that when she was back at her house, she had tried to wash it off but it had stained her skin. I've had buffalo sauce stain my fingers before. It wasn't quite as severe but it was noticeable even after I tried to scrub it off.

• Love 1

I thought that when she was back at her house, she had tried to wash it off but it had stained her skin. I've had buffalo sauce stain my fingers before. It wasn't quite as severe but it was noticeable even after I tried to scrub it off.

That makes sense. I've got to think though that she'd have been aware that it was all over her face in the first place, especially if she was trying to impress a guy across the room.

I know, overthinking...in the words of the theme song to MST3k, "it's just a show; I should really just relax"...but I take extras of those little wet nap packets they give you with the wings and keep a couple in my glove box.  Yeah.  I'm that guy.  

• Love 3

The mall security guard (played by Steve Agee, who was one of the neighbors on The Sarah Silverman Program) was a pizza delivery guy last season.  Gretchen had ordered a pizza and when he brought it she asked him a similar question as Jimmy did in this episode - why he chose to be a pizza delivery guy or was he fulfilled doing that, or something to that effect - and he gave a similar pot-centric monologue of a reply, ending with "I guess it just suits my lifestyle."  Nice call back.

And just as with Jimmy, when Gretchen asked him a followup question (in her case, it was something like "would you want to open your own pizza place?"), he immediately bailed on his slacker lifestyle. Though that time, Gretch said it wasn't an offer immediately.
  • Love 1
I loved how helpless Jimmy and Gretchen were without Edgar to make their Bloody Marys. Mayonnaise? Ugh! But the raw carrots sticking out of the glasses cracked me up.

It makes no sense that neither of them would use their phone to look up how to make a Bloody Mary though and then substituted ingredients.

I was under the impression that Lindsay was annoyed with Edgar for abandoning her at the chicken wings place to talk to the bartender and purposely called him over to help her take Tinder pictures to tease him. That would make her an even worse person. But, her being oblivious of Edgar's crush makes her a less bad person. I'm still not rooting for these two any time soon.

I love how juvenile Gretchen and Jimmy are. Gretchen isn't ready for a college moving checklist (or a normal person cellphone according to Sam) and Jimmy can't put together faux-IKEA furniture. They really are well-matched.

• Love 1