Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E01: Stop the Bleeding

MyAimIsTrue
  • Start Topic

Well this was worth staying home to watch instead of going to Kol Nidre services tonight at synagogue!

First I laughed when Abby said Gibbs had his own Duckie working on him (yay for inside jokes) and then I cried during Gibbs's flashback scenes.   Anyone else expect to hear Otis Redding's 'Try A Little Tenderness' when Dr. Jon Cryer asked to hear his Mozart/Motown mix tape?

• Love 3

I love Jon Cryer, but seriously, it was just talktalktalktalktalk while he was prepping to conduct surgery on Gibbs and I was like, just STFU already!  And really? Music? I'm wondering if someone on the writing staff used to watch General Hospital in the early '80s, because that's TOTALLY what Rick Springfield's Dr. Noah Drake, Neurosurgeon extraordinaire used to do when he went into surgery.

So glad it was a short bit and we were brought up to present day.

Maybe I've turned into a cold-hearted bitch, but really? Sympathy for the kid who shot and tried to murder Gibbs? And he gets to stay in halfway house? Whatever.

And  another JAG crossover! David Andrews, who played the JAG in the last season, returns as that Commander something or other.

Oh, I will not lie-my ovaries exploded when Tony shot Daniel in the knee just like Luke shot Gibbs. And then shot him dead.

Hmmm...I see what you mean about that last scene and the preview for next week about the...tension between Tony and Gibbs, Mama No Life.

They did a good job with finding an actress who really resembled the original actress who played Kelly.

At least Daniel isn't going to be like the Season's "VILLAIN" and maybe we'l get back to good ole NCIS.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 2

The rest of the episode could have been nearly anything and I would have been fine with it after Abby's line about Gibbs having his own Ducky. Thanks, writers!

We're at the beginning of season 8 in the Netflix instant rewatch, and when we started watching this one, Mr. DVD said he was like, who's *that*... oh right, Bishop.

I'm still not over Dornegut being dead. Why do they reintroduce people, make them way cool, and then kill them.

Stopped caring about the kid sometime last May, haven't changed. Hopefully we don't see him again. We could have more Jon Cryer. Although if I were one of his assistants, I'd find all the chit-chat a little off-putting.

• Love 4

I thought it was a decent, if not spectacular, season premiere.  What elevated it for me was the ending.  I am interested to see if/how the relationship between Jon Cryer's character and Gibbs brings a fresh feel to Gibbs.  I think we saw a hint of it at the end of the episode.  Also was relieved that his daughter's presence in his thoughts/hallucinations didn't go to the "should I cross over" trope we see so often on tv.  I am liking the idea of DiNozzo and Gibbs dealing with some personal/professional changes as a result of Gibbs' injuries and aftermath.  Handled well, I think this could all bring some freshness to the team.

• Love 2

Is there some special significance to the line about gibbes having his own ducky that I don't understand?

I was really annoyed by the cyber hacking plot. Someone backdooring their way in through Dorneguts computer sitting idling on a shelf or whatever reminded me too much of the whole thing with Abby not protecting the network from a computer she was working on. And the idea that someone could arm weapons by hacking into a laptop sitting unused in the cyber division of NCIS is ludicrous.

Of course I'm still finding the whole "Dorney put Abby and Tim to shame with his computer-superpowers" shtick annoying anyway.

I gave up on the NCIS-NOLA premiere 1/2 way through because I'm also sick of the theme of NCIS being our primary resource for fighting terrorism. Both shows are shoving that on us far too much IMO

• Love 2

The Ducky reference was a nod to Jon Cryer's character "Ducky" in the John Hughes movie "Pretty in Pink."  A nice shout-out to Jon Cryer fans.  I didn't watch "Two and a Half Men," but loved him in the Hughes movie.

• Love 6

I love Jon Cryer, but seriously, it was just talktalktalktalktalk while he was prepping to conduct surgery on Gibbs and I was like, just STFU already! 

So glad it was a short bit and we were brought up to present day.

Maybe I've turned into a cold-hearted bitch, but really? Sympathy for the kid who shot and tried to murder Gibbs? And he gets to stay in halfway house? Whatever.

Oh, I will not lie-my ovaries exploded when Tony shot Daniel in the knee just like Luke shot Gibbs. And then shot him dead.

They did a good job with finding an actress who really resembled the original actress who played Kelly.

GHScorpiosRule is once again occupying my brain and saving me a whole lot of typing.  Though I wouldn't say my ovaries exploded, co-sign by me to all of the above.  Cold-Hearted Bitch #2 (also me) didn't trust Luke for a second.  I was sure that his suicide attempt was actually a ploy to try and pull Tony and Teague off the roof.

It's too bad that Kelly can only be seen in flashback.  I really liked this young actress and thought she and Mark had a great rapport.

Also loved the scene in Autopsy with Bishop, Abby, Jimmy, and McGee's phones all lined up waiting for word while Ducky was getting the lowdown on Taft.  I've been in many medical situations with family members.  While that scene had a humorous element to it, there was also a whole lot of truth in it as well.

• Love 1

First I laughed when Abby said Gibbs had his own Duckie working on him (yay for inside jokes) and then I cried during Gibbs's flashback scenes.   Anyone else expect to hear Otis Redding's 'Try A Little Tenderness' when Dr. Jon Cryer asked to hear his Mozart/Motown mix tape?

Only if the joke came that it was Stax not Motown.

• Love 2

Hooray for DiNozzo stopping the "Big Bad" and not letting him control his evil empire from some jail cell and come back again...and again...and again...

And I loved the line when Tony told the guy that he was not a "Bond villain" so he didn't get to make a speech about what an evil genius he was...blah, blah, blah.

Just one round in the knee and another in the heart...Goodbye villain!!!

• Love 7

I thought this was a pretty good premiere-- the only thing that I really annoyed me was the "North Korean" hacking of Dornegut's laptop. Is that even possible? I'm no computer expert, but if a computer is offline on a shelf, how do you hack it?

I wasn't sure how I would feel about Cryer's character prior to this episode, but I find that I like him and am looking forward to seeing him interact with Gibbs and how their relationship develop. They are alike to me-- experts in their fields, with enough confidence in their abilities that it toes the line of arrogance, but masking deep wounds that drive them. I do agree that the chit chat would probably drive me insane, but I did like how methodical and in control he was despite that. The operation scene had a very cool, steady sort of flow to it as opposed to being chaotic. I guess some of it could also be just the fact that Gibbs wasn't going to die, but I'd also like to think it gives us some insight into Taft. While Gibbs is a functional mute and uses it to great effect, Taft uses continuous banter to stay focused and in control.

Thought the scenes with Gibbs and Kelly were well done without being over the top. It felt poignent but not sappy, to me anyway.

Tony was great this episode (not surprisingly). I liked how he worked with Joanna (another character I wouldn't mind seeing again). I am curious about the look he had on his face after he shot Daniel-- did it seem to anyone else like he regretted that action? He was justified because Daniel was reaching for a gun but he didn't seem satisfied.

My personal about Gibbs and Tony: Tony is stepping up to fill Gibbs' shoes while Gibbs is having to face the limitations of his body (and eventually the end of his career as he ages) and not surprisingly given their alpha male personalities, there is bound to be a clash. Gibbs isn't retiring, but someone had to lead and I think, perhaps because of how close Tony and Gibbs are, it will be hard on both of them. That makes sense to me anyway; we'll see what the showrunners have to say next week.

• Love 7

I can't believe Abby's comment about Gibbs having his own Ducky completely went over my head!! My 80s self is so upset at me right now.

Overall thought it was a decent episode and, like others have said, happy that they closed the book on Daniel.

I was surprised at the abrupt transition from Gibbs on the operating table to Gibbs walking into the bullpen. I kept waiting for them to blur the screen and explain it as another dream during surgery.

I like the character of Taft, the quirky, brilliant surgeon, but am having a hard time with Jon Cryer in the role. I keep seeing Alan Harper and expect some quip about being cheap. Or perhaps because of his youthful face I can't see him as a celebrated surgeon. He's supposed to be on for 3 episodes, so hopefully that perception will change as I am looking forward to what looks like a growing relationship between him and Gibbs. While complete opposites externally, it appears they share similar pain.

Did anyone catch what Taft said when he mentioned the age gap between him and the others in the operating room? He made some cultural reference to the 70s or 80s and looked around the room for anyone who knew what he was talking about. I laughed out loud and then promptly forgot it, which probably says something about _my_ age.

Edited by kazza

The best one I've ever heard is many seasons ago when one of the team asked Gibbs what Ducky looked like as a young man, and Gibbs said (completely dead pan) "Ilya Kuriakin." 

Yes! That was sensational - my oh and I both squeed with delight at that one. 

Partridge family. Then he asked if any of them listen to Motown and one said that her parents do.

Then he thanked her for not saying her grandparents do.

That whole operation room scene reminded me of MASH.  The non-stop talking was very annoying, just like on MASH.

I agree, the scenes with Kelly were very well done, not over the top.

I don't know why DiNozzo and Teague didn't push Luke off the roof.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 2

While Gibbs is a functional mute and uses it to great effect, Taft uses continuous banter to stay focused and in control.

Great insight! I was a little annoyed by the banter, not so much the talking as the downloading of his life history (I tried to come up with a cute word for this type of exposition, but it's early). I actually liked the quips for the most part, and during the diner scene realized there was a reason for him to pump himself up like that.

I like the character of Taft, the quirky, brilliant surgeon, but am having a hard time with Jon Cryer in the role. I keep seeing Alan Harper and expect some quip about being cheap. Or perhaps because of his youthful face I can't see him as a celebrated surgeon.

I watched Two and a Half Men (I'm ashamed to say) for years. But for me, Cryer nailed this character so completely that I didn't even think of Alan Harper. I haven't seen much of his work outside of Two and a Half Men (I did see Pretty in Pink, but it went right through me - and I totally missed the Ducky reference). So I was very impressed and now understand why he was actually in the running for Gaius Baltar in Battlestar Galactica.

As for music in the surgery - I don't know if it's done in real life, but it's been done in tons of tv shows going back for decades.

• Love 4

Don't feel bad, kazza, the Dr. Duckie Dale joke didn't register with me right away either. When it hit me towards the end of the episode, I lost it. I do love those little inside jokes.

I didn't watch Two and a Half Men with any kind of regularity, so I had no problem separating the doctor from Alan Harper. I enjoyed the character and his rapport with Gibbs, so I'm happy to hear he's going to be in a few more episodes.  

• Love 3

My favorite callout was the dead young lieutenant who was the Swiss Army Knife heir. That's really Michael Weatherly's background, and his father supposedly disinherited him for not going into the family business.

• Love 2

I was surprised at the abrupt transition from Gibbs on the operating table to Gibbs walking into the bullpen. I kept waiting for them to blur the screen and explain it as another dream during surgery.

I was surprised too - It took me a little while to realize that it wasn't just a dream. I think they should have had something onscreen saying "Four months later..." just so that you don't spend a minute really confused :P

I liked the Ducky reference also.  This show is good with shoutouts to old TV roles.  The best one I've ever heard is many seasons ago when one of the team asked Gibbs what Ducky looked like as a young man, and Gibbs said (completely dead pan) "Ilya Kuriakin." I like it when shows do that - it's like they're saying "It's OK that you like to watch TV - do you remember this?..."

I loved the Ilya Kuriakin reference! It makes me smile every time I think of it. I totally missed the Ducky reference, though.

• Love 1

I was surprised too - It took me a little while to realize that it wasn't just a dream. I think they should have had something onscreen saying "Four months later..." just so that you don't spend a minute really confused :P

But they did. While McGee and Bishop were talking, there was a CGI of Present Day on the screen; that's how I knew why Gibbs was on his feet, hale and hearty.

• Love 3

As for music in the surgery - I don't know if it's done in real life, but it's been done in tons of tv shows going back for decades.

It's done in real life as well. I am a surgeon by training and I have never been in a OR where there was no music  I am sure there are a few surgeons that don't use it but most do. It typically doesn't get turned on until the patient is asleep so most patients may never hear it.

The best one I've ever heard is many seasons ago when one of the team asked Gibbs what Ducky looked like as a young man, and Gibbs said (completely dead pan) "Ilya Kuriakin."

I remember this -- I thought it was great as well. My son used it to remind me that I was old...

I will be interested to follow the Tony/Gibbs dynamic moving forward. 

• Love 3

But they did. While McGee and Bishop were talking, there was a CGI of Present Day on the screen; that's how I knew why Gibbs was on his feet, hale and hearty.

Really? That's weird - I remember watching them talking and trying to figure out if it was real or not! I must have missed it.

• Love 1

I noticed the Present Day indicator and initially thought it was strange, as though it was meant to distinguish from flashbacks, not to show the passage of healing time for Gibbs. A specified time jump ("four months later") would have been better.

• Love 1

I was confused by the Tony/Gibbs interaction. Why was Gibbs mad he was away with SpyMommy searching for Budd? Was he jealous that he wasn't the one out there doing the leg work? Then when Gibbs went to get on the phone, Tony blurted "Rule 45 - got it." I took that as Tony still feeling guilt that he didn't have Gibbs' back in the market when he got shot, and he was out in the field trying to "clean up his own mess." Which is total Tony behavior. I blew off Gibbs silent-ness as normal Gibbs behavior. but when tony got back, and stood at Gibbs' desk, there was some tension - although I was surprised Tony called attention to it with "Do we need to talk?"

If I am supposed to think they are mad at each other, then I feel like I would have had to make a lot of assumptions to get there. my two cents.

Loved Jon Cryer. Loved, loved, loved their interaction in the diner. I like that Cyril didn't let Gibbs off the hook. I hope they stay friends.

clarkbar -  I agree on relief that it was not a "follow the light" visit with kelly.

Muse Watson still looking good for a dead man!

I admit to chuckling at all the fruit baskets.  lol.

While I realize it would have added nothing, I wanted to see how they got Gibbs out of the marketplace and onto the ship - without Gibbs bleeding out during the helo ride.

• Love 2

Man, I've really got to go back and re-watch--which I will anyways, since I missed the first twenty minutes and was totally lost with the flashbacks and the flash forward.

Cryer nailed it.  The only time I ever got an "Alan Harper" vibe was when I was looking away and only listening to the show--he has some unique vocal inflections, and I know him best from Two and a Half Men (don't judge) so that's where my mind went.  But while watching him?  His body language, facial expressions, intensity?   Not a single whiff of the loser chiropractor came across.

• Love 4

Then he thanked her for not saying her grandparents do.

That whole operation room scene reminded me of MASH.  The non-stop talking was very annoying, just like on MASH.

I agree, the scenes with Kelly were very well done, not over the top.

I don't know why DiNozzo and Teague didn't push Luke off the roof.

Yea it was annoying. But oddly enough the talk on MASH didn't get on my nerves quite as much. Only when Hawkeye got too self righteous did it. Kind of like this guy. I wanted to smack him upside the head, Gibbs him. Literally.

Wondering about Gibbs reaction to the bad guy though. Did he kill him? They mentioned that the guy was choked to death. 

Didn't mind Jon Cryer through the rest of the episode though. It'll be interesting to see his character and Gibbs interact.

Heck I liked this season premiere a LOT better than Castle's.

• Love 2

Wondering about Gibbs reaction to the bad guy though. Did he kill him? They mentioned that the guy was choked to death. 

No. Gibbs didn't kill the guy; he just stabbed him in the hand with a pen.  Ducky showed how the guy hadn't hanged himself, but that his neck had been broken/strangled and whoever did it, hung him up to make it look like a suicide.

• Love 1

Only when Hawkeye got too self righteous did it.

Exactly!

I saw Jon Cryer's name in the opening credits then forgot all about him so failed to realize he was the doctor until the scene in the diner.  I thought he did a wonderful job - I don't blame him personally for the annoying chatter in the OR:)

Heck I liked this season premiere a LOT better than Castle's.

Oh, for true. But then this series hasn't been coasting on how adorable the leading man is for years, even though it's far more qualified to, JMO.

I kind of liked Jon Cryer's character. I was afraid he was going to be cartoonishly quirky, but he made a really credible responsible adult, I thought. It was a little on the nose to give him a lost child, though.

• Love 3

No. Gibbs didn't kill the guy; he just stabbed him in the hand with a pen.  Ducky showed how the guy hadn't hanged himself, but that his neck had been broken/strangled and whoever did it, hung him up to make it look like a suicide.

Oh. Got a little confused on that one. Thanks.

Oh, for true. But then this series hasn't been coasting on how adorable the leading man is for years, even though it's far more qualified to, JMO.

I kind of liked Jon Cryer's character. I was afraid he was going to be cartoonishly quirky, but he made a really credible responsible adult, I thought. It was a little on the nose to give him a lost child, though.

Burn lol. Word.

Good point. Glad that they showed that there was more to him than what we saw at the beginning of the episode.

• Love 1

Is it just me, but does it seem that Gibbs was smiling a lot more after his recovery from his surgery?  He does seem to be a little different.  I felt bad for Tony when Gibbs ignored his request for a talk and just walked away from him.  What's that about????

This episode felt like a showcase for Jon Cryer.  Especially the first half of the episode.  Yeah, Dr. Taft is kinda chatty, but in a nice way.  I think Dr. Taft talked a lot to Gibbs to distract Gibbs from the fact that he has to have this life and death surgery.  I also think Dr. Taft is chatting away a lot to diffuse the tension in the surgery room amongst the nurses and assistants and I think, also to diffuse the tension within himself.  It was entertaining.  Jon Cryer has brilliantly moved away from his silly character of Alan Harper and becoming this excellent surgeon with a military background who is still grieving from the death of his son.  I think Dr. Taft and Gibbs are going to be very good friends.  I don't know how many episodes Jon Cryer is going to be in, but I'm going to make sure I'll watch because I like the scenes of Dr. Taft and Gibbs together.  The only gripe I have about Jon's character is that he's bald!

I think DiNozzo was going to shoot the bad guy anyway whether the bad guy was going to reach for his gun or not.  Tony practically forced bad guy Bud into drawing his gun.  I don't think Tony was sorry at all for killing Bud.

Little kid, Luke, got off easy.  He showed remorse when he saw that Gibbs was alive, but wasn't it a little while ago that he set off the bomb in the Bud's assassins' safe house to escape from DiNozzo and Teague?  DiNozzo and Teague got out in time, but what about some of the kids that didn't get out in time before the bomb blew?  And Luke was still swayed by Bud to try and kill Gibbs even after Gibbs treated Luke so kindly.  I don't trust that kid; he's totally messed up and he can get dangerous again.  That boy needs lots and lots of therapy.

• Love 1

I wondered if Gibbs was a bit weirded out by the fact Tony essentially saved him and then took out his attacker and brought the kid back - meanwhile Gibbs is still in pain and on desk duty. Just some resentment there he felt like he didn't need to talk to Tony about because he knows it's not about Tony.

• Love 2

Did anybody get the feeling that as a young doctor he was an assistant to the doctor who originally worked on Gibbs.  It was in the way he said something at the beginning.

I thought we were supposed to get that his first NCIS patient was Mike. 

• Love 8

Once while having an outpatient surgical procedure the doctor asked me to choose the music for the room!  I picked the Beatles but have no idea what was played since I was under.

The guy Gibbs stabbed with the pen was Mr. Eko's brother on "Lost."  Boy does he play evil as well as he played good.

• Love 1

I'm still not over Dornegut being dead. Why do they reintroduce people, make them way cool, and then kill them.

Now that you mention it, it does seem like returning characters get killed off pretty often.

I was a bit puzzled by the ending, how did Tony catch up to Budd after stopping to check on the other agent? Felt like one of those horror movie situations where no matter how fast the victim runs, the killer somehow pops up in front of them in a way that could only be explained by teleportation.

• Love 2

Hooray for DiNozzo stopping the "Big Bad" and not letting him control his evil empire from some jail cell and come back again...and again...and again...

And I loved the line when Tony told the guy that he was not a "Bond villain" so he didn't get to make a speech about what an evil genius he was...blah, blah, blah.

Just one round in the knee and another in the heart...Goodbye villain!!!

If anything it reminded me of Deputy Marshal Raylan Givens baiting a guy into drawing so that he was justified in shooting.

• Love 1

I wondered if Gibbs was a bit weirded out by the fact Tony essentially saved him and then took out his attacker and brought the kid back - meanwhile Gibbs is still in pain and on desk duty. Just some resentment there he felt like he didn't need to talk to Tony about because he knows it's not about Tony.

yes, thank you = that's the only reason i can come up with too.

I second your annoyance, slothgirl, when NCIS and NCIS NOLA are considered the primary sources for fighting terrorism.

Everyone knows it's the tech geniuses at Scorpion who do that.

NCIS and NOLA are really badly infected with what I like to call Crime Show 9/11 syndrome. In other words, Terrorism was a subject that rarely ever was seen before 9/11 but since then every crime show seems to do at least one episode involving fighting terrorism even if it's about an agency that hardly ever encounter terrorism and if they did, pass it off to another agency more qualified for it. This sort of thing is especially common season finales and two parters. Some shows like NCIS and NOLA basically get all but eaten entirely by this if they weren't centered around it to begin with.

Then when Gibbs went to get on the phone, Tony blurted "Rule 45 - got it." I took that as Tony still feeling guilt that he didn't have Gibbs' back in the market when he got shot, and he was out in the field trying to "clean up his own mess." Which is total Tony behavior.

While it's true that it applies to Tony I think the "Rule 45" line at that point was directed at Gibbs. Tony was saying "yeah I know Boss, you're running around doing what you can to clean up your own mess and take care of the Calling right now" just like Tony is.

Edited by immortalfrieza
  • Love 1

I liked the Ducky reference also.  This show is good with shoutouts to old TV roles.  The best one I've ever heard is many seasons ago when one of the team asked Gibbs what Ducky looked like as a young man, and Gibbs said (completely dead pan) "Ilya Kuriakin." I like it when shows do that - it's like they're saying "It's OK that you like to watch TV - do you remember this?..."

I remember LOL'ing at that one; I'm ancient enough that I watched that show first-run.

The running fruit gag was done in the pilot episode (I think) of Everybody Loves Raymond

• Love 1

They never followed up on this. Plus, I don't trust that Luke's story is over. He should be locked up in intensive custody. Even with the best intentions, he's going to need decades of therapy - and I don't trust his intentions.

I liked Cryer, and I didn't think I would. I loathed his previous show. If Ducky is thinking about pursuing his friend in London, I wouldn't mind seeing more of Taft (and less of Jimmy, who's always annoyed me.)

Also, Pro-Hacking Tip: if you ever need to disable a computer that's being used to hack into the pentagon to trick our military into attacking an innocent bystander - just yank the battery out.

Edited by Merneith
  • Love 1

I still think that final bit between Tony and Gibbs was strange. Even if Gibbs truly believes it's his own issue and that it's not about Tony, surely in that moment he can see and feel that things are not right between them and that Tony's looking at him like "What's going on? Why are you treating me with such indifference?" That is something they need to talk about.

Plus, the dismissiveness was just so blatant -- Gibbs had been treating everyone else with warmth and openness. Then Tony appears at his desk and it's like he quietly shut the door in his face, leaving Tony standing there feeling like "What the hell just happened here? Why is he behaving this way?"

It was just so weird.

I want next week to arrive so I can see where the hell the writers are going with this.

• Love 3

Yeah it is odd. And it's not as if this is the first time Tony has saved Gibbs. Hell, in season five, Tony dived into the water, pulled Gibbs out of his car and gave him CPR to get him breathing again. "Requiem" was the episode. Where Kelly's childhood friend came to Gibbs to ask for his help.

• Love 1