Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

30 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

Every time they talk about how many consecutive field goals Justin Tucker has made I scream at the tv "Don't jinx him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"  

KC is looking really bad this year.   I mean really bad.  

What is going on with them?  I’m gonna say it’s their defense, but that can’t be all of it.  Their offensive line is still not great, but Kelce’s still making great catches.  Patrick is still throwing well.  They just seem to stall out on their drives.

Dang now I really wish we had pulled it in week 1.

On the bright side Pissburgh is now at the bottom of the AFC North!  😈

• Love 3

I'm watching Vikings vs Seattle. I don't want to jinx us so I'll just say yay. I was going to be at the game but I'm 99% sure I have Covid. Test results tomorrow.

Now LA has been beating Tampa unless somethings happened since the last update.

1 hour ago, NUguy514 said:

A thing of beauty is a joy forever!

Like the sight of Tom Brady knocked on his ass.

Thank you, Rams.  I'm still getting used to Matthew Stafford (hell, I'm still not 100% adjusted to the Rams being my local team), but he performed very well today and this is a promising season.  (Which is good, since the Giants suck and the Seahawks are off to a rough start.)

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Like the sight of Tom Brady knocked on his ass.

Tom looked every second of his age out there.   I would not be surprised if he retired tomorrow (he won't of course, he is too damn competitive, they are going to have to cart him off the field).  His fucking TOMBSTONE is going to read "He was a 6th Round Pick in the NFL Draft"  just as to remind people who didn't believe in him.

Edited by merylinkid
  • Love 5
27 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I haaaaaaated the Greatest Show on Turf. Flipper Anderson is my absolute nemesis.

However.  Today, I suddenly became the biggest Rams fan of all time.  Also, these Tampa uniforms are hideous.

Well flipper wasn't on the greatest show on turf.  

But always good to see Brady lose.  

• Love 1

The Giants fans booed John Mara during Eli’s Ring of Honor/number retirement ceremony, and now I discover that Lions fans booed the Lions owner during Calvin Johnson’s Hall of Fame ceremony.  Tough day to be an owner, as they leave their stadiums to go nap on their mattresses made of money.

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Oh I know.  Just mentioning that my hatred of the Rams spreads across cities and decades.

Unlike the Pats the Rams have supplied their haters with plenty of good memories over the years.  See the 80s, where they had the great misfortune of not being as good as Joe Montana's 49ers.  Then they sucked for about 10 years before they became the Greatest Show on Turf.  Then after one fantastic year they got to be there for the beginning of the Brady era, then saw Kurt Warner enter the black hole that was the middle of his career and sucked again for over a decade.  Then they finally got good, made it back to the Super Bowl, and got beat by Tom Brady and the Pats again to provide a nice bookend for the Brady/Pats era.

1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

Tom looked every second of his age out there.   I would not be surprised if he retired tomorrow (he won't of course, he is too damn competitive, they are going to have to cart him off the field).  His fucking TOMBSTONE is going to read "He was a 6th Round Pick in the NFL Draft"  just as to remind people who didn't believe in him.

Brady can’t retire. He was Tampa Bay’s leading rusher today. 

• LOL 13
  • Love 1
35 minutes ago, galaxygirl76 said:

I am already incredibly over the Patriots-Buccaneers game and it's not until next week.

That's what I came here to post - five minutes after this Sunday's game ended, I was utterly fucking sick of hearing about next Sunday's.  I'll be at my parents' house that night, and we may very well decide to skip it.

I didn't have a horse to back in tonight's game (I used to hate SF because of Joe Montana and GB because of Brett Favre, but these days I don't much care - I resent the Niners for dumping Kaepernick and have mixed feelings on the Packers because I have one friend who lives for the Bears and one who's just as into the Packers), but that was fun at the end.  I knew the 49ers had scored too early. 

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I knew the 49ers had scored too early. 

That guy needed to fall down on the one-yard line so they could eat up some clock before scoring. You can't give Rogers any time to come back and beat you.

• Love 3

What a day for the State of Wisconsin - the Ryder Cup win with Captain Steve Stricker, the Brewers clinching the Central, and the 49ers leaving the Packers just enough time for Aaron Rodgers, Davante Adams and Mason Crosby to cap off the day.  Thank goodness I have tomorrow morning off.  

• Love 1

I've no idea how the refs missed that delay of game, but I don't care. Justin Tucker is amazing, genuinely one of the best kickers in the history of the league. I didn't think there was any chance of making that kick.

Watching the highlights of Ben Roethlisberger being sacked and/or turning the ball over always makes me happy, garbage human that he is. 

But honestly, the anti-vaxx idiots and the proliferation of garbage human beings throughout the league - Joe Mixon, Kareem Hunt, Nick Bosa, Richie Incognito etc - means that following this sport at all is difficult these days.

This week - 'hey. Jaylon Ferguson has got covid. Who are his unvaccinated close contacts?'

'uh, half the Ravens defensive line.'

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, Moose135 said:
9 hours ago, Bastet said:

I knew the 49ers had scored too early. 

That guy needed to fall down on the one-yard line so they could eat up some clock before scoring. You can't give Rogers any time to come back and beat you.

How about their damn defense actually making a big play during those last 37 seconds to win the game? Everytime a team scores in the last 2 minutes, its always somebody saying they left their opponent too much time on the clock. Its like they have no faith in the defense to help win the game. And the defense almost never get blamed for the loss in those last 2 minutes. I find that very annoying. 

I'll give the Rams their "flowers" today for beating Tom Brady & the Bucs. But, they're still those same sorry, scummy Rams so they better not get use to it. 

Tonight's game will be enjoyable if the Eagles win. A very sad Jerry Jones will help me sleep very well tonight. 

Edited by Magog
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

Wow, who decided Goff for Stafford was a good idea? (On Detroit's end. On LA's end, raises all around!)

Detroit did get two first round picks as well. And even though they'll be at the end of the round, it's the kind of thing that team needed given that they made a big time commitment to the new coach and to staying the course for longer than they usually do.  

Speaking of two first round picks, it's looking like my Giant will have two really high picks next year. Ugh. They're like the opposite of the Raiders right now. One way or another, they're going to figure out a way to lose on the last play of the game.

@JTMacc99 i haven't watched any Giants games yet and am wondering how Kyle Rudolph is doing as, if he's played at all, etc. He's a tight end from the Vikings and a real good guy as well as a good player.

It was great to see the Vikings win yesterday. I had a feeling they might today because they were so close last week. I feel like they played with real confidence instead scrambling around. Mattison stepped up in replacing Dalvin Cook.

21 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

Detroit did get two first round picks as well. And even though they'll be at the end of the round, it's the kind of thing that team needed given that they made a big time commitment to the new coach and to staying the course for longer than they usually do.  

Yeah, it was a good deal for both teams - Stafford wanted out and the Rams needed a QB who can let them really compete. Detroit were selling Stafford to the Rams and taking Goff as a 'here, take this as well'. I don't think they envisage him being their future, they just have to eat his contract for a couple of years then move on.

2 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

wondering how Kyle Rudolph is doing as, if he's played at all, etc. He's a tight end from the Vikings and a real good guy as well as a good player.

He had surgery on his foot before the season and was activated the week before the season started.  He didn't really have a chance to become a big part of the offense, and so far he's not seeing a lot of passes thrown his way.

To be honest, the Giants haven't done a good job of getting the ball into the hands of any of the new guys they brought in to help the offense. I'd like them to lean more on Rudolph and Golladay, as they're both sure handed guys with a lot of potential to make a difference.

The fans twice LOUDLY cheered when Evan Engram was taken off the field yesterday, and probably rightly so. He fumbled away one ball, and had an awful drop on another pass. So maybe next week the coaches will up Rudolph's snaps and targets. He's almost definitely the better option.

• Love 3
On 9/26/2021 at 11:20 PM, Moose135 said:

It makes sense in hindsight but it's irresponsible to not take the points when they're presented to you unless we're talking about only needing a field goal at the end of the game. Even then, it may be irresponsible to forego a TD in favor of a field goal because you just never know.  The winning field goal last night was inches from being blocked.

Granted, this is the Green Bay defense we're talking about so waiting might have been smarter but the GB defense, in theory, could have had a goal line stand.  Or there could have been a bad snap, a fumble, a penalty that pushed the 49ers back...etc.

It's the same reason a defense doesn't often "let" the other team score a TD to give their offense more time. 

5 hours ago, mojoween said:

Finally get the chance to watch the Manningcast on MNF and tonight’s guests are mostly…bleargh.

Ha.  I was talking to my parents and they accidentally watched the Manningcast last week instead of the actual broadcast.  They were so confused and had to turn off the game. 

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 3

I know that Nick Bosa is garbage, but is his brother that plays for the Chargers equally as despicable? I haven’t heard much about him but it was nice seeing him do well against the Chiefs.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, twoods said:

I know that Nick Bosa is garbage, but is his brother that plays for the Chargers equally as despicable? I haven’t heard much about him but it was nice seeing him do well against the Chiefs.

Given Nick and their father, it's hard to imagine Joey is completely garbage-free, but I don't think he's done anything condemnatory that's become public knowledge.

• Useful 1

Looking ahead to week 5 for a really good reason.   And hey, October 10 we get the first London game.   It starts at 930 am. ET.    So a whole day of football.   YAAAY.   Oh wait, its ..... wait for it .... 

the Jets v. the Falcons.  

And the NFL wonders why American football is not really catching on over there.    They couldn't find two teams that would actually play a competitive game?  

• Love 1

The deposition company I use runs a free pick 'em contest each week.   You just pick who you think will win.    We all know how good I am at that -- unless its Peyton Manning in his last Super Bowl.   But what the heck, it's free and its fun.   The winner each week gets a small prize.   Yes I know its totally PR for the company.   But I would use them anyway.    

The tiebreaker is guess the  total points for the MNF game.   Which I realllllllly suck at.   I mean really bad, I have to guess and figure out a combo of points, whatever.  

Ya'all know where this is going right?

Yep, I won this week with 11 right (OF COURSE I picked Dallas to win Monday).   They had to go the tie-breaker.   Apparently just using the same total each week works.  (stopped clock, something something).    

Of course I came here to brag.   Because who else knows my legendary game picking skills?

• Love 5
12 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Looking ahead to week 5 for a really good reason.   And hey, October 10 we get the first London game.   It starts at 930 am. ET.    So a whole day of football.   YAAAY.   Oh wait, its ..... wait for it .... 

the Jets v. the Falcons.  

And the NFL wonders why American football is not really catching on over there.    They couldn't find two teams that would actually play a competitive game?  

You have to be an extreme, glorified, gambler to have a chance to somewhat be interested in Jets/Falcons on a Sunday morning over sleeping in

• Love 2

The London games are interesting because the Sunday morning, live sports landscape in the US has become far more competitive in the last 5-10 years.

I'd watch F1 racing and Premier League football over what the NFL offers.

• Love 4

Yeah, I’m the NFL’s bitch and will sit in front of the TV, glassy-eyed and drooling, for 11 hours of football.

Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg, Eminem, Mary J. Blige and Kendrick Lamar will headline next February’s Super Bowl.

1. That sounds awesome and 2. It’s going to be the best show of 1999.

Edited by mojoween
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 8
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

Yeah, I’m the NFL’s bitch and will sit in front of the TV, glassy-eyed and drooling, for 11 hours of football.

Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg, Eminem, Mary J. Blige and Kendrick Lamar will headline next February’s Super Bowl.

1. That sounds awesome and 2. It’s going to be the best show of 1999.

Eh.  Halftime is when I hit the buffet and realize there are other people in the room.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

I would have preferred Kendrick alone. His halftime show for the College Football Playoffs a couple of years ago was straight fire.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

He's the only one I don't know; I'll have to look him up and see if I've heard any of his songs.  Sounds like a good line-up.

As for tonight's game, I think anyone who pronounces Bengals as "Bangles" should be immediately and permanently banned from sports broadcasting.

7 hours ago, Bastet said:

As for tonight's game, I think anyone who pronounces Bengals as "Bangles" should be immediately and permanently banned from sports broadcasting.

I’m sending the ones who say “Jagwire” into Mount Doom with the above broadcasters.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1