Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

Yeah, I can't see the Giants winning at the Superdome, but the thing is the GMEN tend to win several games against teams they can't beat.  If they lose, they'd still cover.  New York is such a wild card.

Week Two Picks: New England, Denver, Miami, San Francisco, both LA Teams, Vegas, Chicago, Cleveland, New Orleans, Arizona, Tampa Bay, Seattle, Kansas City, Green Bay.

I think it definitely will not happen, but the chance of the "NFL West" getting to 16-0 is a possibility.  IMO, the toughest test will be for the Niners at Eagles, and then maybe Rams & Arizona (but probably not)

Pittsburgh should beat the Raiders, but the black & gold tend to struggle against the black & silver.  Plus, Gruden against one of his old staff members (already 1-0 against the Steelers since his return) doesn't help.  Vegas should cover, but if they don't they don't miss it by much.

I don't see Dallas, Baltimore, or Detroit covering at all.  Ravens might, but they are so banged up

For the 2nd week in a row, the Cowboys are involved in another game where both teams are unrootable. The Cowboys are their usual repulsive selves. The Chargers are just plain vile for multiple reasons. This game is going to be torture because not only do I expect the Cowboys (sadly) to beat the crap out those sucky Chargers, but there will be way more Cowboys fans in that new stadium (Sofi Stadium) than Chargers fans (if they even exist any more). Either way, I lose.

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, Magog said:

This game is going to be torture because not only do I expect the Cowboys (sadly) to beat the crap out those sucky Chargers, but there will be way more Cowboys fans in that new stadium (Sofi Stadium) than Chargers fans (if they even exist any more).

Well, hell, you got NFLN and Michael Irvin slurping over Jerry Jones right now.  You wouldn't even know the Chargers are playing in the game, much less at home.

• Love 4

Why hasn't someone invented a chip that's put in the football that reacts to the lines of the end zone? It would be MUCH faster and easier than the replay mess the NFL has now. It can't be that hard to do. Hell, they could even do sort of the same thing in players shoes/uniform to tell when they're out of bounds or have gotten a first down. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
28 minutes ago, Grrarrggh said:

Why hasn't someone invented a chip that's put in the football that reacts to the lines of the end zone? It would be MUCH faster and easier than the replay mess the NFL has now. It can't be that hard to do. Hell, they could even do sort of the same thing in players shoes/uniform to tell when they're out of bounds or have gotten a first down. 

It's much harder than you say because it's not just the ball and end zone line but when the player is down. Which can be a knee, elbow, butt, stopped forward motion, any number of things.  

• Love 7

Ok so I was already Paul O’Neill levels of pissed off (baseball fans, you know) at the Yankees vomiting all over themselves today so to find out the Cowboys are the only 4:25 option AND they got a bullshit pass interference call AND Tony Fucking Romo is calling the game AND the fans don’t seem to know they are in Los Fucking Angeles and NOT Dallas, for cod’s sack, well, this afternoon is not going that well.

And now an interception by Herbert.  What. The. FUCK.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

As a Raiders fan, I have to root for Dallas. I feel dirty. 🤮

The Chargers aren't going to be a threat to anyone this season.  You'd probably be safe to indulge your primal Cowbungs hate. 

As a Giants fan, I'm trying to imagine any situation where I'd ever root for Dall-ass.  I think it would be the time I'm forcibly administered my frontal lobotomy, and even then as I'm coming out of anesthesia, shivering and drooling, I'd be mumbling, "Ffff... Jerr-uh.  Ffff... Tony Romo."

• LOL 7
  • Love 2
11 minutes ago, Lamb18 said:

Well if anyone hates Arizona, the Vikings are.playing very well today and beating them 20-7 so far. But Cardinals just scored, so it's 20-14. Justin Jefferson made a great catch.

I spoke too soon and jinxed the Vikings. The game is now tied and Dalvin Cook hurt. Actually AZ is probably ahead as Vikings missed an extra point earlier.

8 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I feel like hating Arizona is like hating a basket of puppies.

I live about ten minutes from their stadium.  It is my curse in life never to live near a team I actually like. 

But we get to listen to the unique vocal stylings of Aqib Talib doing color on the game.  Priceless.

35 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I feel like hating Arizona is like hating a basket of puppies.

More like a basket of, oh I dont know, mice.  Or hamsters. 

They're kind of cute when you remember them and they're active and playful, but the most of the time they just sit in the corner playing in a cage and you forget about them.  Until they make a mess in the cage and you have to go clean it up, then you remember awhile.  But you clean it up and move on, forget about them again. 

Puppies are loveable and cute no matter what.  You pay attention to them win or lose.  

• LOL 4
  • Love 2

Ok I admit I’m biased, because Tony Romo is a Cowboy and therefore he sucks already, but even if I were not biased, I do not in any way get his appeal.

He loves the sound of his own voice, and is just completely nonsensical at times. He talks about someone being in front of the eight ball, and then asks Jim “is that a word? In front of the eight ball?”  Yes it’s a word you gormy dink. I’m sure he meant to ask if that’s an expression, but he didn’t say that.  He gets paid to talk, and I don’t know why.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, mojoween said:

If this OT goes more than 24 minutes will CBS stay with it, or be contractually obligated to switch to The Emmys?

It didn't end up happening but I believe the local TV areas would stay with the game but the rest of the country would probably be switched to the Emmys. 

• Useful 1

What is wrong with the Chiefs?    1-1 (edited, just felt like 0-2, they played badly last week and got lucky) is not how I expected them to start the season.   I hope the Super Bowl didn't mess with Mahomes' head.   

Edited by merylinkid
  • Love 2

The Ravens' season has already had far more drama than I need. Some routine wins would be nice now, thanks.

This is really their last shot at the Super Bowl before Lamar's contract renewal closes the window, and I don't think they have the team to do it. Even before all the pre-season injuries they probably didn't.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, merylinkid said:

What is wrong with the Chiefs?    1-1 (edited, just felt like 0-2, they played badly last week and got lucky) is not how I expected them to start the season.   I hope the Super Bowl didn't mess with Mahomes' head.   

Except for one punt mistake (and maybe a late interception), the Chiefs could very well be 0-2.

F*g Cravens.

1 hour ago, Danny Franks said:

The Ravens' season has already had far more drama than I need. Some routine wins would be nice now, thanks.

This is really their last shot at the Super Bowl before Lamar's contract renewal closes the window, and I don't think they have the team to do it. Even before all the pre-season injuries they probably didn't.

I hope they don’t.  I can’t stand Lamar, and because He Who Shall Not Be Named, stole our team and was rewarded w/a damn SB before he died.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Magog said:

There is plenty of time for Jared Goff & the Lions to mess it up like they usually do.

I have no ill will toward the Lions, but this is very funny in retrospect.

Keyshawn Johnson says that the Jones family does not meddle in the day to day operations of the Cowboys and he would have inside knowledge of this, and yet I don’t believe that for one second.

• Love 6
28 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Keyshawn Johnson says that the Jones family does not meddle in the day to day operations of the Cowboys and he would have inside knowledge of this

Does Keyshawn Johnson live in an alternative universe?   If so, I want to live there.

Jerry Jones - GM.   WELL KNOWN that players can go directly to him to complain if they don't like something the coach does.

Stephen Jones - CEO AND Director of Player Personnel, Exec. VP

Charlotte Jones - Exec VP AND Chief Brand Officer.

They literally are in charge of the day to day operations of the Cowboys.   

• Love 9

It's funny, I was talking to someone about the difficulties in creating a winning team once your QB gets their second contract in the NFL, and suggesting that a luxury tax system, like the NBA has, would be interesting.

But we both quickly concluded that Jerry Jones would happily pay an extra $100million in salary and luxury tax and still fail to win a Super Bowl.

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, mojoween said:

If I heard this stat correctly, in regular and postseason games, Tom Brady has passed for more touchdowns in his forties than he did in his twenties.  That is infuriating.

Hi Mojoween.  I attribute it to all that year-round warm weather and sunshine in Massachusetts.

Edited by grommit2
added name
  • LOL 6
On 9/20/2021 at 6:03 AM, Danny Franks said:

I don't know if they can win the Superbowl this year with all the injuries, but I'm hoping to enjoy the ride!

I understand giving one player a huge contract lessens your chances of signing excellent supporting players, but it's not impossible and I'm hoping Lamar's drive to win a Superbowl makes him smart during contract negotiations.  He's pretty humble and team orientated.

• Love 1

Twenty years ago on yesterday’s date Drew Bledsoe got hurt.

There are adult football fans who have no knowledge of a world without Tom Brady as a starting quarterback.

On a related note, I’m ready to live in that world again.

• LOL 11
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, mojoween said:

Twenty years ago on yesterday’s date Drew Bledsoe got hurt.

Ah, Drew Bledsoe.  The Wally Pipp of his generation.

So the real target of your ire should be Mo Lewis.  But for him, TB12 might have spent his entire, no-doubt short-lived, career warming the bench, living out his destiny as a sixth-rounder.

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

Ah, Drew Bledsoe.  The Wally Pipp of his generation.

So the real target of your ire should be Mo Lewis.  But for him, TB12 might have spent his entire, no-doubt short-lived, career warming the bench, living out his destiny as a sixth-rounder.

cher-turn-back-time.gif

• LOL 10
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, caracas1914 said:

Isnt Tom slated to play until he’s 50?  At this rate he’ll outlast Aaron Rodgers, Big Ben, Matt Ryan, and the next generation of NFL Quarterbacks…

I don’t know if Tom’s boys play football, but if they do I fully anticipate he’ll be playing in the same game with them someday.

• LOL 6
21 hours ago, mojoween said:
On 9/25/2021 at 12:08 PM, caracas1914 said:

Isnt Tom slated to play until he’s 50?  At this rate he’ll outlast Aaron Rodgers, Big Ben, Matt Ryan, and the next generation of NFL Quarterbacks…

I don’t know if Tom’s boys play football, but if they do I fully anticipate he’ll be playing in the same game with them someday.

Dear god, I hope not. 

Speaking of Tom Brady, did you know that he is going to be playing in his 45th different stadium today (SoFi Stadium)? Oh yay. And while were at it, he is going to beat those sorry, sucky, scummy Rams today. The Rams suck, unrootable, & flat out repulsive. They can never be counted on to do anything right & today will be no exception. I wonder how Sean McVay is going to mess this up today.

Edited by Magog
1 hour ago, Magog said:

They can never be counted on to do anything right

This made me laugh so hard.

The dumb Bills are superseding the Giants being on TV today, but because of that I got to watch Eli’s retirement ceremony on the Giants app.  Small victories, I suppose.

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, mojoween said:

The dumb Bills are superseding the Giants being on TV today

I'm getting NE and NO here in Charlotte - I was surprised given we get a lot of Atlanta sports here, so I'm following online. Given the game, I think we're both better off not being able to see it. It's been ugly, with a capital UGH.

• Love 1

Back when I (in Los Angeles) got a lot of Giants games, I was annoyed at how many morning games they played, since I'd sleep through the first half.  Then the Giants started sucking, and then we finally got an NFC team of our own back, and TV coverage steadily evaporated.  Instead of switching from Dish to DirecTV to get NFL Ticket, I found myself relieved I was being spared.  I'll always be a fan, but, damn, the G-Men are hard to watch.

• Love 1