Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

Finally some actual sports news and event tonight that isn't just speculation and retrospectives. 

How will the QBs fall?

How will the Lions manage to mess up a #3 pick? 

Will the Bears again find a way to pick the worst rookie QB? 

I am curious to see what my COlts do but they traded away their top pick already for Deforest Buckner, which I am OK with. 

Also rumors Malik Hooker is being shopped around in a trade ahead of the draft which I am also Ok with.  Has not lived up to his expectations. 

• Love 1

What channel are you watching the draft?

ABC: Race Davis, Jessie Palmer & Maria Taylor

ESPN: Trey Wingo, Mel Kiper & Louis Riddick

NFL Network: Rich Risen, Daniel Jeremiah & Michael Irvin

I usually watch NFLN but after Mayock left it wasn't the same. ESPN it is I guess.

Edited by crimsongrl
It's Wingo not Dingo!
  • Useful 1

Someone was able to talk Jerry Jones out of drafting Johnny Manziel, which I wanted for the shit-show aspect. Now, there's no one around to stop him from making terrible decisions.

giphy.gif

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
21 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

Jesus, that woman interviewing Joe Burrow.  Her hair is aaallll fucked up.

I can relate, I am about five weeks past due for a cut.

So Burrow is the fifth player to win the Heisman, the Nat'l Championship and be the #1 draft pick. Can you name 'em? I'll start off easy, two are currently unemployed. (But still active)

Edited by AimingforYoko
28 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

I can relate, I am about five weeks past due for a cut.

Yeah but she knew she was going to be on tv, not like the rest of us at home.   She could have just put it in a ponytail and not looked so disheveled.

Why is my living room better than Goodell’s “basement” or wherever he is broadcasting from?  

And awwwhhh to my boy Burreaux.  Where dreams come to die has taken on an all new meaning.   😢🐯. #TAF

Edited by geauxaway
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, crimsongrl said:

I usually watch NFLN but after Mayock left it wasn't the same.

Yeah, I'm still watching NFLN out of (recent) habit, but it really isn't the same without Mayock.

Something was niggling at me last night that I couldn’t put my finger on, and I realized it this morning while listening to ESPN radio.

Hearing Roger read off the card with little to no background noise just wasn’t the same.  The draft sounds better hearing 10,000 angry Jets fans letting you know how they feel.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, mojoween said:

#17...

This was entirely too accurate.    I liked the Cowboys pick.   Until I saw the video of him getting the call.   Girlfriend tried to take the phone and he just casually reached over and took it back without even looking at her.   Mamma sat there and smirked. *  There's going to be trouble there.    But until he gets put on the Commish's exempt list, I'll take him.    Jerry didn't entirely blow this pick.    Let's see what he does later.  

*There were a lot of bad girlfriend/mamma interactions last night.    You can see the fights over the money starting already.    Also, social distancing be damned, there were a LOT of unrelated people in the players' homes.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3

The Vikings' first round pick seems to be OK, Justin Jefferson, wide receiver from LSU. Watching his tape, he looked like he was already wearing a Vikings uniform. The second pick at 31, a corner, I hope that mock draft prediction doesn't come true.

Green Bay's pick of a quarterback from Utah State was a head-scratcher. Message to Aaron Rodgers? The guys on the radio were joking, saying that the pick meant Aaron Rodgers was going to be a Viking quarterback in a few years.

2 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

The Vikings' first round pick seems to be OK, Justin Jefferson, wide receiver from LSU. Watching his tape, he looked like he was already wearing a Vikings uniform. The second pick at 31, a corner, I hope that mock draft prediction doesn't come true.

Green Bay's pick of a quarterback from Utah State was a head-scratcher. Message to Aaron Rodgers? The guys on the radio were joking, saying that the pick meant Aaron Rodgers was going to be a Viking quarterback in a few years.

Jefferson should be a good player. Nothing wrong with that pick.

I was thinking this morning as the morning show guys talked about Rodgers. He's 36. He has 4 years on his contract (which means he's probably got two before they can release him without a terrible cap hit.)

Hmm... what team should be in a good position to win and in need of a veteran QB in two years from now?

Why, Tampa Bay just figured out their succession plan didn't they?  I guess the next question is, who is a 34 year old QB that will be free 4 years for now?

• Love 1
8 hours ago, merylinkid said:

*There were a lot of bad girlfriend/mamma interactions last night.    You can see the fights over the money starting already.    Also, social distancing be damned, there were a LOT of unrelated people in the players' homes.

Omg, yes!!! Is this the most ratchet NFL draft or what? From the one girl getting yanked off the couch to the one dressed like a half-naked hooker getting the phone snatched, it felt like Real Housewives, not a sporting event. Those dollar signs really bring out the worst in people.

• LOL 6
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, merylinkid said:

There were a lot of bad girlfriend/mamma interactions last night.    You can see the fights over the money starting already.    Also, social distancing be damned, there were a LOT of unrelated people in the players' homes.

I noticed that too! I kept wondering if all of those folks were self isolating together or if folks just showed up for the draft. Honestly, the only people I’d want there would be my parents.

The girlfriend/mama interactions...wow. Drama indeed!

I really liked the virtual draft. It was very casual and some of the visuals-Bruce Arians chilling on the porch, Kyle Shanahan’s and Jon Lynch’s kids, John Elway stunting with the three Super Bowl trophies, Henry Ruggs’ robe, Javon Kinlaw’s dad rolling around on the floor...LOL.

Edited by woodstock
  • Love 2

I see Day Two Roger is Casual Friday Roger.

Does Kliff Kingsbury live on a football field?

One of tonight’s potential draftees houses has shiplap, which looks nice, below an interior brick wall, which huh.

• Love 1

Rats, I was hoping Antoine Winfield Jr would be picked by Minnesota, but he is going to Tampa. If Vikings Women is going to do a trip to an away game this fall, I hope it's to Tampa.

There is an OL that's out there, J Jones, #1 in players remaining, I hope is still there when the Vikings have their turn. Funny if Dallas picks him.

Edited by Lamb18
24 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Might be awkward the next time the Bills play the Cowboys if Trevon has to cover Stefon Diggs.

How terrible for Dak Prescott.  His brother was only 31.

I was only half listening. Did they disclose how he died?

11 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Why is Philly choosing Jalen Hurts such a terrible idea?

Right? Wentz is made of glass. Philly needs a solid backup and Hurts is a proven leader and team player. Eagles fans losing their minds over this is ridiculous.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

I was only half listening. Did they disclose how he died?

No disclosure but there have been heavy hints it was suicide.   So sad.

Going back to my earlier comments about gf/mammas.   If they had the draft in Vegas would girlfriends have been allowed to accompany the players?   The dresses would have been the same if you look back at the red carpet for the draft and the NFL Honors.    Just some people have no taste -- see the Oscars and other Hollywood big events.   

• Love 1

Although it's due to our unfortunate circumstances right now, I am loving this social distancing draft.  I like seeing the living/family rooms of the draftees and their families/friends, and the coaches, GMs. 

Also, I haven't followed football shenanigans enough to know why Roger Goodell is hated, and I don't care.  I just watch the games.   So all I'll say is that he looks cool sitting there in his sweater and calling the names. 

• Love 9

I thought the draft coverage was pretty awful this year. Seeing the coaches, GMs and players at home was cool, but it doesn't make up for the personality vacuum presenter and ESPN's uninformed, cliche-spouting talking heads.

I get that Rich Eisen and most of the NFL Network people were on the Draftathon instead, which was a cool idea and a good cause, but I really hope it doesn't have to happen again next year. People have been complaining about ESPN dwelling on all the personal tragedies that the draft picks may have had, and honestly it just demonstrated the fact that they weren't prepared with any real knowledge about the players themselves, or about the draft processes of teams.

Daniel Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks must have been biting their tongues when that Thunderbirds puppet who presented the coverage kept on about what a shock it was for the Packers to pick Love, because they mentioned that as a very real prospect on their podcast more than once. Then the other talking heads were moaning about how upset Aaron Rodgers is going to be. Well, thats tough. The Packers GM has to plan ahead, and a 35 year old QB who is starting pick up injuries isn't your long term future, no matter how good he is right now.

And as others have said here, it was obvious why the Eagles took Hurts - Carson Wentz gets hurt a lot, and the value of a good backup is something the Eagles, in particular, understand.

• Love 1

When I watched draft coverage I watched the YouTube casts of Bleacher Report and Pro Football Focus which was just focused on football and not telling us about dead parents and stuff ad naseum. But looking into everyone’s living rooms gave us a lot of great memes and images. 

• Love 2

I thought the coverage was OK, I don't get too caught up in the TV aspect of it all.  Kind of interesting seeing all the coaches and GMs in their homes. 

Very happy with the Colts draft and offseason.  Got a true #2, bit target chain moving WR in Michael Pitman.  I think Johnathan Taylor behind the Colts line will be great.  Mack has been a good RB but he is a FA next year and I don't think he deserves the money he is going to want.  He does not have the explosiveness of Taylor and Mack 2-3 times a game I feel like misses good sized holes.  In the 4th round they pick up Eason, a future starting QB that is athletically gifted, seems to just need time to learn the pro game, which Reich will certainly be able to teach him.  Buckner at DT was traded for a first found pick, can't argue with that much.  Ballard really hit all the areas of need this offseason.  Will see if they all work out, but you can't fault him for ignoring problems. 

and most importantly, they didn't fall in the trap of "Lets give Jacoby Brissett one more year".  The old regime in Indy would have done that out of loyalty or laziness, or both.  Not now.  I like Jacoby, but he is a back up or at best average starter in the NFL, nothing more. 

Also Bears now have 10 TEs on their roster :

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29096124/bears-draft-notre-dame-cole-kmet-giving-10-tight-ends

I was looking through the draft grades and their seemed to be way too many As/Bs. very few negative comments.  Not Everyone can have a great or good draft. 

• Useful 1
On 4/26/2020 at 6:01 AM, Danny Franks said:

I thought the draft coverage was pretty awful this year. Seeing the coaches, GMs and players at home was cool, but it doesn't make up for the personality vacuum presenter and ESPN's uninformed, cliche-spouting talking heads.

I get that Rich Eisen and most of the NFL Network people were on the Draftathon instead, which was a cool idea and a good cause, but I really hope it doesn't have to happen again next year. People have been complaining about ESPN dwelling on all the personal tragedies that the draft picks may have had, and honestly it just demonstrated the fact that they weren't prepared with any real knowledge about the players themselves, or about the draft processes of teams.

Daniel Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks must have been biting their tongues when that Thunderbirds puppet who presented the coverage kept on about what a shock it was for the Packers to pick Love, because they mentioned that as a very real prospect on their podcast more than once. Then the other talking heads were moaning about how upset Aaron Rodgers is going to be. Well, thats tough. The Packers GM has to plan ahead, and a 35 year old QB who is starting pick up injuries isn't your long term future, no matter how good he is right now.

And as others have said here, it was obvious why the Eagles took Hurts - Carson Wentz gets hurt a lot, and the value of a good backup is something the Eagles, in particular, understand.

I was a little ticked off regarding Love getting drafted.  Sure you need to plan for the future, but Aaron has been the only definitive thing about Green Bay.  Without him, they'd be more likely picking in the Top 10, which was proven in 2017.  Aaron has been active throughout most of his career.  Not Favre stability, but he's played a full season in most seasons since 2008.  Save for 2013 & 2017 he's been available for meaningful games.

I think it's more than age with Rodgers.  JMO; the Packers have other needs that weren't really addressed, and have been lacking throughout the past decade.  I agree with Hurts being drafted.  Wentz is young so that can't be a reason, but the fact is the man never finished a season that included the postseason.

The draft was okay.  Thought it was neat with the virtual stuff.  I wouldn't mind if they did that again, but not for another 5 years at least.  Though as mentioned, I would be okay for maybe doing the draft for the first day or two traditionally, and then go remote after that!

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2020 at 12:31 PM, icemiser69 said:

Now you get to deal with the frustration of having Rivers as your QB.   As a San Diego Chargers' fan, he was frustrating to watch.   I knew an interception or fumble was coming.  I didn't know how or when, but I knew it was coming.  It happened far more often than it should have happened

I am well aware of rivers history in big games.  I don't by any means think he is a HOF player but he is a tier just below that and is certainly a better option than Brissett.  I am hoping with a strong line and run games and Reich in charge, he will be able to cut back on his mistakes, but we will see. 

He makes the Colts division contenders, assuming this season happens.  Brissett does not.  He does not make them championship contenders though, unless he performs better than he has in the past when the season is on the line. 

• Love 1

Kliff Kingsbury needs to buy some plants or art for his house. Minimalism doesn't mean you can't have accenting details.

Personally, I would recommend a nice Brancusi style sculpture.

76.2553.51_ph_web-1.jpg?w=870&zoom=2

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 1
On 4/24/2020 at 9:32 PM, BitterApple said:

Right? Wentz is made of glass. Philly needs a solid backup and Hurts is a proven leader and team player. Eagles fans losing their minds over this is ridiculous.

Eagles fans gotta be true to themselves. 

I've been listening the last few days to the Packers fans calling up NFL radio. They're typically SO pro team, that it's strange to hear them befuddled and unhappy.

The Cowboys fans are super happy with their draft. (I don't disagree. Things did seem to go their way.) But let's be fair, the Cowboys win the off season all the time.

• Love 4
(edited)

According to Adam Schefter and other sources on Twitter, Andy Dalton has signed a one year deal with the Dallas Cowboys. This wasn't a team I thought he would sign with (I had thought he might go a couple of other places), but I do think that this is an interesting signing. He definitely would be a solid backup for them, and could start if they needed him to.

Edited by Jx223
  • Useful 1
11 hours ago, Jx223 said:

He definitely would be a solid backup for them, and could start if they needed him to.

Definitely.    I am so overjoyed with the Cowboys this offseason.   I am wondering what meds they put Jerry Jones on.   Whatever it is, please keep it up.

• LOL 3
(edited)

Watched ESPN's E60 documentary on Alex Smith. ("Project 11") ...yikes that was gruesome! horrified-smiley-emoticon.png

I've wondered why it took so long to hear a damn thing about him after the fracture. They must not have wanted to publicize that he nearly lost his life. Tough dude. 

Edited by TVbitch
1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

Thank you for mentioning the episode.

Your welcome! It is also available on demand on ESPNs website.  

Heads up, you will not want to be snacking during your viewing. : D

• Love 3
35 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

Your welcome! It is also available on demand on ESPNs website.  

Heads up, you will not want to be snacking during your viewing. : D

It's still sitting on my DVR because I saw people on Twitter posting photos and I had second thoughts. I'm still going to watch it (eventually).

• Love 3