Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

I knew Brady would play up the TB-Tampa Bay association but never imagined anything this corny. "You Vike That" Is somewhere cringing in a corner...

The pictured shirts are not the Brady merch-they're sold by...The Dan Patrick Show? 

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

CBS did not renew Dan Fouts’s contract and he will be replaced with Charles Davis.

I have no issue with Charles Davis moving up, but Fouts is a big loss for CBS.

Also apparently Drew Orleans himself will eventually be part of the NBC broadcast booth when he retires.

4 hours ago, mojoween said:

Is the criticism that because he’s a rich athlete he’s not allowed to be sad at missing something fun?  Fuck that noise.

Yup!  That was exactly what they ripped him for.  Millions of people are dying (literally that was one of the comments) so we can’t do anything but be sad about that I guess.  Fucking ignorant.

• Love 1

That's so stupid. I can be sad about my daughter's lacrosse season being canceled and still understand why it's done. The things aren't mutually exclusive. This whole thing sucks. 

• Love 7
On 4/11/2020 at 12:55 PM, mojoween said:

CBS did not renew Dan Fouts’s contract and he will be replaced with Charles Davis.

I have no issue with Charles Davis moving up, but Fouts is a big loss for CBS.

Also apparently Drew Orleans himself will eventually be part of the NBC broadcast booth when he retires.

Dan Fouts is gone? That's great news I often wondered if we were watching the same game.

Under stay at home for a month. Can't get a haircut. Been to lazy to shave.

I look like Ed Reed's older brother 'bout now.

Edited by xaxat
  • LOL 6
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

I guess no cases had been identified in KC? We never heard anything about their humongous parade becoming a C19 hotspot. 

Timing. The virus was already present in SF by Feb. 4th, not so in KC. Makes sense, San Fran gets a lot more international visitors.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

I guess no cases had been identified in KC? We never heard anything about their humongous parade becoming a C19 hotspot. 

We’ve been pretty low here.  I’m fucking sad our schools are called out for the term now.  We are nothing compared to my peeps in LA, it’s so fucking bad down there.

My kiddo had to have the lamest of lame bday celebrations today (me, him, and some cake, lots of prezzies, but still just me and him).

On another note, I’d rather get C19 myself than see my boy OBJ be sentenced to death in the hell hole otherwise known as MN.   Where WR go to kill their careers.   I mean I guess we could all laugh about seeing that QB trying to be cool with him.  #TAF

• Love 1
14 hours ago, geauxaway said:

On another note, I’d rather get C19 myself than see my boy OBJ be sentenced to death in the hell hole otherwise known as MN.   Where WR go to kill their careers.   I mean I guess we could all laugh about seeing that QB trying to be cool with him.  #TAF

5 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

There's rumors that Odell Beckham Jr. may come to Minnesota. I hope not even though his mother is from here. There's lots of good guys out there

I much rather see OBJ get sent to the Cowboys than the Vikings. He's not going to be in a Super Bowl no matter where he goes, but it will be a lot more fun seeing that failure playing for the Cowboys than the Vikings.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Magog said:

I much rather see OBJ get sent to the Cowboys than the Vikings. He's not going to be in a Super Bowl no matter where he goes, but it will be a lot more fun seeing that failure playing for the Cowboys than the Vikings.

2 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

He'll be on national tv a lot more if he's with Dallas too.

Another prima donna receiver in Dallas? Haven't they suffered enough over the years? 

• LOL 1
17 hours ago, topanga said:

Another prima donna receiver in Dallas? Haven't they suffered enough over the years? 

Jerry Jones & those Cowboys can suffer for eternity for all I care. I rather see Jerry Jones go through an 0-16 season than him holding another Super Bowl trophy & bragging about it nonstop on ESPN & Undisputed. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

I had ESPN on all day today while I was cleaning.  They had a marathon of Peytons Places and what I caught of it was awesome!  I sat down to take a break and watch during the Favre segment and the Eli stuff.  I was dying when they had to make the Lombardi Trophy fro a Cornflakes box.  

• Love 3

Peyton's Places has been delightful -informative and entertaining.  I loved watching the Manning boys watch home movie.  "At what point do you as a father put down the camera to help your three year old son who is getting kicked by his older brother?". They were a riot together.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Crs97 said:

Peyton's Places has been delightful -informative and entertaining.  I loved watching the Manning boys watch home movie.  "At what point do you as a father put down the camera to help your three year old son who is getting kicked by his older brother?". They were a riot together.

Those home movies with the boys playing football were great. Eli was mellow and barely talked. Peyton was always complaining and arguing with his brothers. Or tattling to his parents. And Cooper would just laugh at both of them. But they seemed like a close family. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, mojoween said:

Fuuuuuck Gronk.  This story irritates me way way WAY more than it should.

Same! I rolled my eyes when the news came out. I honestly thought it was a joke. 

• Love 2
On 4/20/2020 at 12:53 PM, topanga said:

Those home movies with the boys playing football were great. Eli was mellow and barely talked. Peyton was always complaining and arguing with his brothers. Or tattling to his parents. And Cooper would just laugh at both of them. But they seemed like a close family. 

I also love the part in the credits where a reporter asks little Peyton, "Who's your favorite football player?"  And Peyton answers, "My Dad!"  He was so precious.

• Love 1

Gronk is feeling good right now because it's the off season and he is not getting hit.   But once the season starts -- if it does -- he is going to remember why he retired in the first place.   

Man something must have really gone down in New England for so many guys to want to bail.   Winning usually covers up a lot.   The tell all books are going to be amazing in a few years.

But this move STILL managed to help New England.   They got another draft pick AND cleared cap space.   They had very little space and were carrying Gronk's remaining contract on the books.   Now, whooosh, it's Tampa Bay's problem.

Draft is tomorrow.   Of course I will watch.   But query -- if there is no season what happens to the draft class?    Do they still have to be to 53 players by Labor Day (ish) if they aren't playing?   Do they carry 90 players until they can evaluate them on the field?    Sooooo many questions.   

• Love 3

For some reason, I read this didn't clear any cap space for New England. If he'd stayed retired his cap number would be zero. Or, rather, if Gronk declared himself active then he'd be counted against the cap and put them over, which is why the Pats would have to trade him for what people consider to be less than his value.

I don't think there's any mystery about old vets wanting out of New England. They won championships while management coined slogans such as "Do Your Job!" and "No Days Off!". The brand was working the players harder than other teams (for less money than they could get elsewhere), famously having the players do hill sprints after practice. Even if you're winning you might get sick of it after five, ten, or twenty seasons. Players getting sick of their situations and shooting themselves out of town has been the story of sports in the late 2010's. See Antonio Brown, Leveon Bell, and 99% of the NBA.

Edited by Fukui San
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, Fukui San said:

I don't think there's any mystery about old vets wanting out of New England. They won championships while management coined slogans such as "Do Your Job!" and "No Days Off!". The brand was working the players harder than other teams (for less money than they could get elsewhere), famously having the players do hill sprints after practice. Even if you're winning you might get sick of it after five, ten, or twenty seasons.

Yeah, I think Gronk was tired of Belichick. Brady was still in New England last season while Gronk was temporarily retired, so now he sees Brady in Tampa with Bruce Arians, a coach loads of players seem to really like, he probably wants to give this scenario a try. Gronk even said he just wasn't having fun anymore and Belichick looks like the type of person who wouldn't know fun if it hit him in the face with a cricket bat.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Fukui San said:

For some reason, I read this didn't clear any cap space for New England. If he'd stayed retired his cap number would be zero. Or, rather, if Gronk declared himself active then he'd be counted against the cap and put them over, which is why the Pats would have to trade him for what people consider to be less than his value.

I don't think there's any mystery about old vets wanting out of New England. They won championships while management coined slogans such as "Do Your Job!" and "No Days Off!". The brand was working the players harder than other teams (for less money than they could get elsewhere), famously having the players do hill sprints after practice. Even if you're winning you might get sick of it after five, ten, or twenty seasons. Players getting sick of their situations and shooting themselves out of town has been the story of sports in the late 2010's. See Antonio Brown, Leveon Bell, and 99% of the NBA.

I read that Gronk hadn't formally filed his retirement paperwork yet.   So he would still be carried on the roster and it would have to be addressed.   Now, did we read two different publications that had their different take on the same situation?   I would bet that.   

32 minutes ago, mojoween said:

This morning on ESPN radio they said Gronk cleared 10 million from the Pats books.

This is the unofficial Pats cap expert:

Here's what I think it means (but I could be wrong). So long as Gronk remained retired, his cap number is zero. When he unretired, it added a $10million or whatever cap hit that had to be accounted for. Trading him got rid of that. So the Pats do not have any extra under the cap because of this move, but the Bucs do have an extra $10 million cap hit for Gronk that they didn't have two days ago.

• Useful 5
  • Love 2