Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

Ian Rapoport is now reporting that not only has Tom agreed to sign with the Bucks in principle, but that the deal is reportedly close to that $30 million figure that was mentioned earlier.

I could see Bruce Arians working well with Tom. And he will appreciate having weapons like Mike Evans. 

• Love 1

Bill O’Brien needs to come down w/Coronavirus right b4 the draft so he can’t f that up, too.

Miami reportedly isn’t very interested in Tua, but rather Justin Herbert.  

If anyone signs Cam, they’re crazy.  Cam is a prima dona who wouldn’t even fall on his own fumble and cost the Panthers the SB.  His body has taken too many multiple hits over the years, and he’s just not worth the $ anymore.  I’m glad Teddy gets his chance.  He’s a nice guy, with good talent.

Maybe the Chargers will get Jalen Hurts.  I could see him fitting in there.

Tom Brady/Bruce Ariens and that OL to protect him?  Good fit for both men. Bruce will respect Tom and not have to worry abt mercurial behavior on or off the field.

I could see Winston going to LV, but is the Marcus news a done deal?

Indy probably signed Phil for one year to wait for Trevor or Fields next year.  (Tho I’m hoping Justin plays another year for my beloved Buckeyes.)

• Love 1

The NFC South just got real interesting.

Brady, Brees and Bridgewater playing each other twice next year (I figure brady retires next year and brees might).   I am soooooo glad Bridgewater is getting another chance to start.   He should never have been bounced from Minnesota.  

Drew Brees signed a two year deal so unless he pulls a last year Peyton Manning he’ll be there through at least 2021.

The Bucs are children within the relative age of the NFL, but this is still kind of a crazy stat - they have never, in their history, signed a quarterback they drafted to a second contract.

Edited by mojoween
  • Useful 4

I realized this morning the difference between my feelings about the Patriots vs. Tom Brady, because I’m actually rooting for New England to be successful, and Tampa Bay to be the second worst team in the NFC.

I extremely pettily want Belichick to do well and Brady to suck ass.

• Love 3

Former Packer Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila is apparently a sovereign citizen.  See this link for what a sovereign citizen is:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sovereign_citizen_movement

He was tasered, cuffed, and arrested for refusing to sign a document in his divorce and claiming that the court had no jurisdiction over him because of his sovereign citizen status.

https://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/story/news/2020/03/17/kabeer-gbaja-biamila-tasered-and-arrested-brown-county-court-green-bay-packers/5067998002/

8 hours ago, mojoween said:

I realized this morning the difference between my feelings about the Patriots vs. Tom Brady, because I’m actually rooting for New England to be successful, and Tampa Bay to be the second worst team in the NFC.

I extremely pettily want Belichick to do well and Brady to suck ass.

As a Browns fan, I feel the opposite.  Bellichuck can suck ass.  Now until eternity.  He pushed a good QB put the door in Cleveland too.

• Love 2

The NFL is offering free NFL Game pass online until May 31 for US fans and July 31 for fans outside of the US. You can watch free games from 2009-2019, including preseason games from those years (except 2009), playoffs, and Super Bowl Matchups. (International fans will only get the 2019 season of thee things). Also you will be able to access All 22 and HIgh endzone footage with coaches film and previous seasons of shows like Hard Knocks. There are also some additional features/rules for International fans posted on the NFL's site about this:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001106855/article/nfl-offers-fans-free-access-to-nfl-game-pass

I have tried a trial of this in the past and they have access to a lot of good games. This is something that people can watch while we are on this major hiatus for sports.

Edited by Jx223
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
15 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

It is too bad they aren't offering the best game I ever saw, "The Epic in Miami" back in early January 1982. 

Oh they have to put that one up.   It was an amazing game.   Overtime in the Miami heat.   The Chargers were gassed beyond belief but they played to the end.   I swear I thought they were going to do anything to get that win, even if it killed Kellen Winslow.

• Love 3
On 3/18/2020 at 10:08 PM, Jx223 said:

The NFL is offering free NFL Game pass online until May 31 for US fans and July 31 for fans outside of the US. You can watch free games from 2009-2019, including preseason games from those years (except 2009), playoffs, and Super Bowl Matchups. (International fans will only get the 2019 season of thee things). Also you will be able to access All 22 and HIgh endzone footage with coaches film and previous seasons of shows like Hard Knocks. There are also some additional features/rules for International fans posted on the NFL's site about this:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001106855/article/nfl-offers-fans-free-access-to-nfl-game-pass

I have tried a trial of this in the past and they have access to a lot of good games. This is something that people can watch while we are on this major hiatus for sports.

I already have Game Pass and thought of rewatching Vikings games. Any recommendations of other good games without Vikings?

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2020 at 2:25 PM, JTMacc99 said:

There are some TV contracts coming up in the next few years that will once again pour a ton of money into league and will materially push up the cap. Swapping out a preseason game for a regular season game and the other changes they made almost guarantee even more money going into the cap than would have been without those changes.

This feels like one of those deals where if the players had rejected it because they wanted a few changes, they were going to get met with a group of owners who were going to start the next round of negotiations by offering significantly less of everything

I realize more games is all about more TV money.  That doesn't make the plan any less awkward in a league where home field advantage is so important an the difference in making and missing the playoffs is often one game, even if they are adding a playoff team in each conference.

The better solution would have been go to 18 games, add an extra bye week and take away two preseason games.  It basically adds one week to the season then, probably at the end of the playoffs with the SB second weekend in Feb rather than the first. 

And an extra by week to rest seems a fair trade off to adding extra games.  Heck even at 17 games I don't know why they didn't add an extra bye week.  And you use one of those bye weeks before all teams Thursday games if possible.  With extra weeks to the season you don't need a Thursday game ever week and that way no one ever plays on a short week, which is such a bad idea for so many reasons. 

• Love 1
On 3/17/2020 at 9:59 AM, Fukui San said:

I’m glad free agency is happening to give some sort of non pandemic news to talk about. 

It also gives the poor sports reporters/anchors something to do.

Edited by tracyscott76
18 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I don't think that's true. I heard from my parents who live near Tampa that Brady bought up all the Godwin #12 jerseys or something like that. It was in their local paper. 

No surprise. Those things are probably collectors items now. Brady has to protect the intellectual property of the number  12/TB12.

According to ESPN,

Godwin told the Buccaneers' website that no transaction or compensation was involved, despite a precedent being set previously by new teammates getting numbers already taken.

If this season happens, Brady and Winston are going to be forever linked just because they played in the same city.

I heard a stat yesterday that Winston had 42 turnovers last year (30 INT, 12 fumbles lost) and now I’m curious how many years it took Brady to get to 42.

18 hours ago, mojoween said:

I heard a stat yesterday that Winston had 42 turnovers last year (30 INT, 12 fumbles lost) and now I’m curious how many years it took Brady to get to 42.

Brady's last five seasons (2015-2019) he had a total of 43.

Hype over reality.   Everyone BELIEVES he will be great if he can just get the right coach.   Despite all the evidence to the contrary.   Not to mention he will always be involved in some sort of drama.   He always SAYS he has learned from the experience and has changed.   Until the next time something just happens to occur that he was involved in.

• Love 1
(edited)

He will be picked up because even with 30 INts, he is still a better options than a substantial proportion of the starting QBs in the league. 

And not defending him as a QB, but the Arians system typically is a very aggressive downfield deep throwing system that makes QBs more at risk for INTs

Which is why it will be interesting to see how Brady does in it and how much they change it for him because that has never been his style in NE outside the few years maybe that they had Moss.  Plus that takes a good OL and/or mobility by the QB to allow those plays to develop.  Brady never had that type of mobility and surely does not at his current octogenarian age. 

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Love 5
9 minutes ago, Bastet said:

It is up to each team to ensure not only safe and healthy conditions, but also to offset any perceived competitive imbalance under the guidelines set forth by Goodell.

In other words, if this is a cock up, Goodell doesn't accept any responsibility.    

• Love 7

I don't think it is going to be a logistical problem. The draft has been remotely run for a while. War rooms aren't located in the location the draft is held. I'm not sure how teams communicate their picks (phone or internet) but they haven't been on site as long as I've been watching.

Major news networks are running live from host/anchor/guest basements during the pandemic. I don't see why the NFL can't.

• Love 6
11 hours ago, xaxat said:

I don't think it is going to be a logistical problem. The draft has been remotely run for a while. War rooms aren't located in the location the draft is held. I'm not sure how teams communicate their picks (phone or internet) but they haven't been on site as long as I've been watching.

Major news networks are running live from host/anchor/guest basements during the pandemic. I don't see why the NFL can't.

Because you have people like Jerry Jones who is not just an owner he is the GM who has trouble with low tech like hand written draft cards. 

It didn't always run smoothly when they called in either -- remember the Vikings running out of time TWICE to make their pick in 2002(?).    Heck this is a League that still requires contracts to be FAXED to the League office.   Not emailed, FAXED.   Remember the Denver contract that didn't arrive in time because there was a problem with the fax machine?

The only good thing about this is it will be part telethon to raise money for COVID19 relief.   I have fond memories of the MDA telethon.   

• Love 3
4 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Because you have people like Jerry Jones who is not just an owner he is the GM who has trouble with low tech like hand written draft cards. 

Oh, there's rooms literally filled with PhDs that can't handle getting the projector to connect to the laptop. I have no doubt that there's going to be snafus. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

I’m going to watch the draft, because I am weak, but I’m having a hard time getting excited about it not knowing if there is even going to be football played this year.

I'm watching because 1) tradition and 2) its all the sports we have right now. Which I am good with no sports.   The Leagues talking about coming back soon and playing without fans and all the teams stuck in 1 city for months are DREAMING.   

• Love 3