Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

Don't get too excited.   This all looks great on paper.   It's what happens on the field come September.   You can assemble the greatest players on earth but if you don't know what to do with them, it doesn't matter.   These are still the Browns remember.  Washington always wins the offseason, how many trophies do they have?

Along those same lines, a lot of now former Steelers are going to find out that a lot of green doesn't matter if you are sitting at home in January.    

• Love 3

I’m just repeating the mantra “you don’t win championships in free agency you don’t win championships in free agency.”

I mean last year the Giants went big in FA and shit the bed so I am living on the very slim hope that Gettleman knows what he’s doing...all evidence to the contrary.

• Love 3

On the one hand, the Giants tanking this season to be at the top of a very deep QB draft isn't a terrible thing to do for a team that's rebuilding and moving on from it's long time quarterback. 

On the other hand, the 2019 Giants will be running an offense with (for the first time in a LONG time) a decent offensive line, a couple of good play makers in Sheppard and Engram, and their best player entering his second year. I’m not sure who is going to be the QB*, but I’m assuming it will be Eli at least at the start of the season. What will be different is that he'll have time to throw and defenses actually needing to respect the run. 

It’s nowhere near as good as it could have been with Beckham on the field for however many games he could play, but it’s certainly not looking to be a terrible offense. The improved offensive line and Barkley running all over the place alone is going to make them at least a middle of the pack offense. For crying out loud, the Giants scored more points than any team in the NFC East last year with a terrible offensive line for more than half the season and without Beckham for a quarter of the season. Why would this one trade suddenly make them 0-16 material on the offensive side of the ball?

HAVING SAID THAT, the Giants defense last year gave up approximately 1 million points, give or take. To quote Bob Pappa during any number of Giants radio calls last season: [In disgust] "Carl, we've been saying it all year. If you need to make a play against the Giants, just throw the ball in the middle. Somebody will be open."

So I guess the question is now, what the hell are they doing about that problem? Well, at this point they removed Vernon and have replaced him with nobody. Can they find a starting LB with either the 17 or the 37 pick? Actually, yes they probably can in this draft. They swapped out Collins for Peppers. That’s not a terrible drop off in production given the massive economic trade off. They do have a couple of nice young players in Carter and Hill entering their second year, they have a promising rookie at CB from the supplemental draft. They’ll probably throw a whole bunch of draft capital into restocking depth all over the defense with the day three picks and might even find a player or two.

So the defense will be very young, and have probably 4-5 starters from the 2018 and 2019 drafts on it. Maybe they’ll actually be interesting to watch. Maybe they’ll actually be able to cover the middle of the field. Maybe they’ll actually put pressure on the QB. It’s a lot of maybes! But there is no maybe about last season’s defense. They were definitely terrible. So I’ll take my chances with a bunch of very young and hopefully talented maybes.

* And lastly, as of today, I tend to agree with all of the mock drafts that are giving the Giants Haskins. As I mentioned above, I think the Giants aren't going to be THAT bad this year. And I think the kid can be a starting QB in the NFL. I also don't really don’t see anybody paying the Jets the king’s ransom it will take to jump up ahead of the Giants from the middle of R1 to #3. I didn’t think the Giants were going to pick the QB, but I think that with two more picks including the 17, the team can now use the 6 to pick the QB and still go ahead and restock the Defense with 17, 37 and now a R3 pick. They can probably also move some of the day 3 picks around to get one more pick on day 2 if they want.

I’m not terribly down on this team today. They're probably not going to be good this year, but they have gone 38-58 in the last 6 years. Take out the one 11-5 anomaly and that's 27-53. It's long past time to be out with the old and in with the new.

Oh, and for any Giants fans who are very depressed today, here, watch this:

• Love 2

I thought it was a goof on the Giants part to give Odell that contract.... i mean do you really want to use that much cap on a reciever when you can finish last without him?   And with a qb on the decline?   For the Browns it matters a little less because they don't have to pay Mayfield yet.  They're going for it...........in Cleveland!.  At least on paper.   The 49ers were paper champs last year......howd that translate?

In. addition.... I heard Odell is a major pain in the azzzz...... that don't surprise me at all.   So good luck there in Cleveland.  For Antonio Brown....i guess his 2019 highlight might be his appearance on the masked singer..... where he didn't even beat out Terry Bradshaw.  He won't have Big Ben anymore.....he'll have the same impact Randy Moss had in Oakland.......none.

Edited by Sounder
  • Love 2

So the week didn't start off too well for the Ravens - saying goodbye to Eric Weddle, CJ Mosley, Za'Darius Smith and (can barely believe this one) Terrell Suggs.

But Wednesday is looking good. The FA signings of Earl Thomas and Mark Ingram are pretty nice, and it looks like the contracts are fairly team friendly (at least, Thomas' is after the first year).

Odell Beckham might be a little less happy about being traded to the AFC North now he sees the Ravens' secondary - Marlon Humphrey, Earl Thomas, Tony Jefferson, Jimmy Smith, Brandon Carr and Tavon Young.

• Love 2
49 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

So the week didn't start off too well for the Ravens - saying goodbye to Eric Weddle, CJ Mosley, Za'Darius Smith and (can barely believe this one) Terrell Suggs.

But Wednesday is looking good. The FA signings of Earl Thomas and Mark Ingram are pretty nice, and it looks like the contracts are fairly team friendly (at least, Thomas' is after the first year).

Odell Beckham might be a little less happy about being traded to the AFC North now he sees the Ravens' secondary - Marlon Humphrey, Earl Thomas, Tony Jefferson, Jimmy Smith, Brandon Carr and Tavon Young.

That's a good landing spot for Thomas...... glad he's in the AFC.

• Love 1

I see reporters freaking out over the Giants move but I'm all right with it.  Mind you, I don't trust Gettleman, who comes across as an old-school NFL meathead.  But I look at it this way...with another first round draft pick, the Giants likely going to get a QB or LB or we will use the draft pick and trade for more.  The Giants didn't have a third round draft pick and they do now.  They got a safety/kick returner with a big upside and got rid of a major pain in the ass in Odell Beckham. 

I hate losing Beckham's talent (and it's considerable) but in spite of all that talent, the Giants had a losing record these past five years.  The game where he made that unbelievable catch was a game the Giants LOST.  They made exactly one playoff game and what did Beckham do?  First, he decides to post a picture of him and the other receivers partying in Miami.  I have absolutely no problem with players doing that but nothing good comes from advertising it and everyone involved should have known that.  Then in the playoff game itself, Beckham drops a pass that kills a promising opening drive and later drops a potential TD.  He wasn't the sole reason they lost that game but definitely played a major role in their defeat.  One player can't replace Beckham but multiple players can at least come close.

2019 is a rebuild year and I'm fine with that, as long as the Giants get a QB and have a plan.  I'm not sold on Haskins but think he's the best QB prospect out here.  I don't want to see the Giants go defense at 6 and then get Dave Brown #2 from Duke at 17.

BUt remember, the Giants are paying Beckham $16MMto play for the Browns, aft already paying him $21M in ‘18.  The Browns basically got OBJr for $15MM for the next five years, unless he renegotiated.  He’s also going to be playing with his LSU receivers coach, who’s now Cleveland’s receivers coach, as well as hisBFF Landry.  AB was poison in the locker room, by all accounts, OBJr is well respected.  Even now by the kicking net.

The only main question - to me - is can Freddie handle all these alpha personalities.  I hope he can, he certainly handled Baker well.

• Love 1

Giants could possibly go quarterback now. Or, from listening to some of the Giants media people I respect a lot, they could possibly go pass rusher and right tackle with their round 1 picks. Or even maybe two pass rushers and do right tackle in round 2. I think they have some good options if they are not sold on quarterback this year and wanting to do it in 2020. Or craziness happens and they get Rosen. This is a decent draft for their positions of need in terms of supposed player quality matching their needs. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I think I feel worst for Saquon Barkley. Poor kid's gonna get run into the ground. I hope he doesn't end up like a Barry Sanders, where his talent went to waste playing for a shit team.

Or like... Odell Beckham for the first 5 years of his career? ;-)

• LOL 1
18 hours ago, roamyn said:

BUt remember, the Giants are paying Beckham $16MMto play for the Browns, aft already paying him $21M in ‘18.  The Browns basically got OBJr for $15MM for the next five years, unless he renegotiated.  He’s also going to be playing with his LSU receivers coach, who’s now Cleveland’s receivers coach, as well as hisBFF Landry.  AB was poison in the locker room, by all accounts, OBJr is well respected.  Even now by the kicking net.

The only main question - to me - is can Freddie handle all these alpha personalities.  I hope he can, he certainly handled Baker well.

Well, apparently Beckham's camp started talking about a new contract right after he was traded.  Have fun with that, Cleveland!

• Love 1

I figured the Giants would sign Tate.  It's a good move, bringing in a wide receiver who can still perform though I think his best contribution will be bringing in some badly veteran leadership to a young WR corp.  He sure as hell ain't Beckham but he'll also be a much better influence on the other receivers.  You know, no posting an Instagram pick of them all in Miami the week before a playoff game.  Not that the Giants are going to be anywhere near the playoffs this year but you get the idea...

Edited by benteen
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I didn't want those teams in the SB.  I wouldn't have watched.   I didn't watch the LA Rams/Patriots SB either. 

No one knows what the ratings would have been with the teams you wanted in the SB.   Those are two small market teams.

Well, clearly I was speaking in hyperbole. But I do think Chiefs-Saints would have gotten better ratings, partly because Pat Mahomes is one of the NFL's rising young stars. And because it would have been a different game, sort of "anybody but the Patriots and xxx team."

A Chiefs-Rams matchup would have been a rerun of the game from earlier in the season (which, incidentally, had great ratings).

• Love 2
20 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I have no idea why the Titans wanted Tannehill.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/03/15/titans-trade-for-ryan-tannehill/

I also don't understand the popularity of Josh Rosen where trade rumors are concerned.  IMO, he comes off as a bit immature.  A bit of a whiner.

Immature whiners are tolerable if they have the talent to compensate for it. I don't know enough about Rosen to say if he's a whiner, but I've seen enough to question if he has the talent.

Still, the idea that you could get a passable starter for say, a third round pick (seems to be the current consensus among fans), is just too enticing to let go of for most people.

• Love 2
On 3/16/2019 at 11:50 AM, ae2 said:

Immature whiners are tolerable if they have the talent to compensate for it. I don't know enough about Rosen to say if he's a whiner, but I've seen enough to question if he has the talent.

Still, the idea that you could get a passable starter for say, a third round pick (seems to be the current consensus among fans), is just too enticing to let go of for most people.

He's definitely a whiner.  He complained about analysts saying Sam Darnold should be picked in the draftfirst last year, he complained when he was picked tenth instead of one, he whined that he was so much better than Baker Mayfield (who was picked first) that he (Josh) would have better stats than Baker.

Now, I give his lack of production some leeway, considering he was protected by what amounted to the practice squad and he had little talent to throw to, but personality-wise, he's very immature.  i'm surprised he hasn't come out and said anything about the Kyler Murray rumors.  

I think the Giants organization are a bunch of big fat idiots.  They paid OBJr. $21M last year, will pay him $16M this year to play for another team, and I believe a few million next year.  Then they go and sign Golden Tate for I think $35M.  Yes, OBJr. has a flamboyant and large personality, but by all accounts he's no locker room poison (ala Antonio Brown) and is loved and respected by all his teammates.  What in God's name are the Giants doing?!  You have a QB who can't fling the ball downfield, but you sign your most prolific catcher for $95M, then let him go after paying him more than $40M of a new contract?!  So he complained about your beloved Eli in an interview.  Big whoop.  Eli IS done, and has been for a few years.  Look at his stats!  That's not any knocks on what Eli has done in the past, it's part of aging.  Unless your Drew Brees or Tom Brady, your QBR DOES go down as you approach 40 - and in reality, even they aren't as productive as they used to be.  To hang onto an aging QB and not have anyone lined up is ridiculous - esp if the latest rumors are true that the Giants have decided to focus on defense and not draft a QB until next year.  Maybe OBJr. shouldn't have said anything to the media, I'll grant that, but he wasn't wrong - just frustrated.

I'm just hoping he isn't Andre Rison 2.0.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, roamyn said:

He's definitely a whiner.  He complained about analysts saying Sam Darnold should be picked in the draftfirst last year, he complained when he was picked tenth instead of one, he whined that he was so much better than Baker Mayfield (who was picked first) that he (Josh) would have better stats than Baker.

Rosen does have a crappy attitude and reminds me a lot of Aaron Rodgers in that regard.  At least Rodgers have accomplished a lot to back that up (though I find both him and Rosen insufferable).

I don't buy into the rumors about Russell Wilson.  The way i see it.....he wouldn't fit in anywhere else...... what other organization would've even picked him?    Nobody else is that smart.

Edited by Sounder
13 minutes ago, Sounder said:

I Iike Josh Rosen right where he is..... he's in the Seahawks division..... and so long as he's there..... the cards represent two easy Seahawk wins.   And if he HAD gone first to Cleveland.....he'd be bitching about Cleveland...... and playing poorly.   I'd say the Browns made the right pick...... first time for everything y'know.

5 hours ago, Sounder said:

what other organization would've even picked him?    Nobody else is that smart.

Um, someone would've picked him. He was projected to go in the 4th round. Seattle drafted him in the 3rd. 

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Kip Hackman said:

Um, someone would've picked him. He was projected to go in the 4th round. Seattle drafted him in the 3rd. 

The Eagles were going to take Wilson. The Seahawks picked just ahead of them and the Eagles took Nick Foles instead.

Robert Kraft Can Get Solicitation Charges Dropped If He Admits He Would've Been Found Guilty In Trial

The proposed deferred prosecution agreement calls for completion of an education course about prostitution, completion of 100 hours of community service, screening for sexually transmitted diseases and payment of some court costs.

But in an unusual provision, the agreement also calls for the defendants to review the evidence in the case and agree that, if it were to go to trial, the state would be able to prove their guilt, this person said.

4 hours ago, Minneapple said:

The Eagles were going to take Wilson. The Seahawks picked just ahead of them and the Eagles took Nick Foles instead.

He shoud have gone higher.   But his size....... surely can't be an NFL starter...... mannn how things work out..... the Seahawks had signed Matt Flynn who was the sexiest free agent available after he had a big game for Green Bay to close the season.  THAT was a dud almost of Percy Harvin proportions.   When Russell won the starting job we were all WHAAAAA?   Don't think anyone questions it now.

• Love 1

Jordy Nelson is retiring .  That's not a surprise and as a Packers fan, I wish he could have spent the last season in Green Bay, but I know the reality of football.  He is beloved by Packers fans and I hope he will continue to play some role within the organization.  He and Aaron Rodgers together - wow, that was fun to watch.  They had that connection on the field, where Aaron could glance over at Jordy before the snap and they each instantly knew what the other was thinking.  That's football magic. 

The Packers might play a preseason game in Canada - people in Wisconsin already wondering who will "forget" his passport.  Knowing what he thinks of preseason games, my money is on Rodgers  

• Love 4
5 hours ago, xaxat said:

Has any non-game decision by a head coach generated as many hot takes as Kingsbury did with his cell phone break policy?

He described the players as "hands twitching and legs shaking." 

I don't think that's from the cell phones.......

• Love 1
On 3/27/2019 at 4:09 PM, xaxat said:

Has any non-game decision by a head coach generated as many hot takes as Kingsbury did with his cell phone break policy?

He claims the policy worked well on his collegiate team.  And how did your college coaching career work out, Kliff?

Something tells me it’s as much for Kingsbury, as it is his men.

I wonder how that conversation went.

Agent: I just got off the phone with the Cardinals. They'd like to talk to you .

Kingsbury: Louisville? I thought they hired Satterfield as their new head coach.

Agent: The Arizona Cardinals. 

Kingsbury: Sweet, you mean I might get an NFL OC gig?

Agent: No, head coach. 

Edited by xaxat
  • LOL 1

Just shut up, Mike McCarthy.  His firing "couldn't have been handled any worse?"  I can think of many, many ways it could have been handled worse.  They told him in private, and allowed him to address the team a couple days later.  In their statement announcing the firing, the Packers acknowledged the success the team had during McCarthy's tenure, thanked Mike and his wife for their work in the Green Bay and Wisconsin communities.  What more did he want?  Jesus, the team just lost to the Cardinals at Lambeau Field, in a game in which McCarthy and the players seemed to lose interest for the entire second half.  For all the angst from ESPN, Sunday Night Football, and the NFL Network about the Packers firing a coach before the season ended (as if that was the first time it had ever happened), there would have been a lot of Packer fans in open revolt if they continued to pretend all was well until the end of the season.

Worse ways:  they could have fired him as he walked off the field, announced it to the press before telling him, sent him a text instead of speaking to him in person, had security escort him from the premises, had his car towed from the parking lot during the 4th quarter of that game, played "Hit the Road Jack" as Mark Murphy entered the media room to make the announcement, and on and on.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

From the article,

Nobody holds a grudge in any sport like Rodgers. When it comes to Rodgers, grudges do not merrily float away. They stick. They grow. They refuel.

Michael Jordan owns this title. Not even close. The man who used his HOF speech to point out everybody who "slighted" him during his career. Going all the way back to high school!

• Love 7
8 minutes ago, xaxat said:

From the article,

Michael Jordan owns this title. Not even close. The man who used his HOF speech to point out everybody who "slighted" him during his career. Going all the way back to high school!

I wonder if Brady will make a run at this for his Hall of Fame speech. "So, as you know I wasn't drafted until the 6th round..."

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Fukui San said:

I wonder if Brady will make a run at this for his Hall of Fame speech. "So, as you know I wasn't drafted until the 6th round..."

And the Patriots picked 6 other plays before him!

• Love 1