Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

Roger Goodell has got to be breathing the biggest sigh of relief now that the federal government is open again. The prospect of having to run a Super Bowl with the support of a depleted FBI, DHS, ATC, TSA etc. must have been pretty daunting. 

• Love 1

The radio people talk to all these other people (during the Pro Bowl) and then say, "Excuse me for an update" - then says what just happened on the field. Since when do you excuse yourself for describing the play on the field?

4 hours ago, xaxat said:

Roger Goodell has got to be breathing the biggest sigh of relief now that the federal government is open again. The prospect of having to run a Super Bowl with the support of a depleted FBI, DHS, ATC, TSA etc. must have been pretty daunting. 

Well if there’s one leader who we can count on in a time of crisis, it’s Rog- HaHaHaHeeHeeHeeHoHoHaaaaaaaa....

(Catches breath)

Sorry, couldn’t keep a straight face. 

• Love 6

I watched the Pro Bowl because it’s still football.  I was getting irritated with the inconsistency of the whistles though.  Sometimes the ref would blow a quick whistle and play would die, but then other times they wouldn’t, and the defense was laying off, so the offense scampered for a bunch more yards they wouldn’t have gotten if the defense was going all out.

Even at 3 pm I bet the game still gets numbers better than one would think.

On 1/27/2019 at 1:49 PM, xaxat said:

So what's surprising here is how much say the NFL has. I have a friend with the police department that is working with the Superbowl and it's operations. Say FBI says x needs to be this way. NFL will say no and that's what happens. I'm convinced that the NFL made the government reopen. 

• Love 1

That 3 hour nap that I took during Pro Bowl was very satisfying. So satisfying, that I took another 3 hour nap tonight, because of Super Bowl Opening Night. What is the point of Super Bowl Opening Night anyway? I know that it couldn't of been remotely fun watching the Patriots boring people to tears as usual, the Rams bringing nothing interesting to the table, & the unfunniness of the whole Media Day suckfest. 

• Love 1
On 1/27/2019 at 11:20 AM, Magog said:

I'm going to enjoy that 3 hour nap that today's Pro Bowl is going to bring.

Having enjoyed a very late night Saturday yet still waking at my usual 10:00 (damn body clock), I wound up indeed napping for most of the fourth quarter.  But it's never been of anything more than mild interest to me, which is why I've always approved of moving it from the week after to the week before the Super Bowl.  I sort of understand but mostly reject the sentiment that it's cool to have one more football exhibition when it seems like the season is over, because the Pro Bowl is inherently anti-climactic; it's just goofy, no-consequences fun.  I think something like that is much better placed between the conference championship and the Super Bowl, so that our last game for the season is a real one, the big one.  I'd rather go out on that note and have one more week between the last game of season A and the combine of season B than have the season extend one more week but with such a non-entity of an ending.

11 hours ago, Bastet said:

Having enjoyed a very late night Saturday yet still waking at my usual 10:00 (damn body clock), I wound up indeed napping for most of the fourth quarter.  But it's never been of anything more than mild interest to me, which is why I've always approved of moving it from the week after to the week before the Super Bowl.  I sort of understand but mostly reject the sentiment that it's cool to have one more football exhibition when it seems like the season is over, because the Pro Bowl is inherently anti-climactic; it's just goofy, no-consequences fun.  I think something like that is much better placed between the conference championship and the Super Bowl, so that our last game for the season is a real one, the big one.  I'd rather go out on that note and have one more week between the last game of season A and the combine of season B than have the season extend one more week but with such a non-entity of an ending.

For the fans, I don't think it really matters

I think the idea of the pro bowl for the players and coaches it works better having it in Hawaii and after the season.  More than anything, its a chance for players on different teams to get to know one another and a chance from different players and coaches, or different coaches, to meet and get to know one another.  I recall Peyton Manning telling a story one year and him and BB sitting out by the pool somewhere at the Pro Bowl talking.  manning asked him if he recalled a certain play from the prior year when they met and BB went off on how they had the perfect D and play called for it and some player missed a tackle or screwed it up and he was so pissed about it. 

This is a similar story I found, but is not the article I recall reading

https://patriotswire.usatoday.com/2017/10/05/that-time-bill-belichick-and-peyton-manning-sat-down-for-beers/

Also a chance for the players and the media to have some extra time together.  And when you do it in Hawaii and after the season it works much better for them.  Many player would also take their families to Hawaii

Basically the Pro Bowl in Hawaii after the season is a great idea for the players, coaches and media in every way EXCEPT for the game itself, which no one takes seriously or cares about. 

• Love 4
10 hours ago, xaxat said:

I really like Joe Thomas' spots on Golic and Wingo. Does he do commentary anywhere else?

I love him too.  I’m so sad his last season was an 0fer.  

I believe he does a podcast, I think I've seen him mention it on Twitter.

• Love 2
On 1/29/2019 at 9:28 AM, xaxat said:

I really like Joe Thomas' spots on Golic and Wingo. Does he do commentary anywhere else?

He and fellow former Brown Andrew Hawkins have a podcast called the ThomaHawk Show. I think you can get it from iTunes.

Thomas is a smart guy, and very well-spoken. He'd make a great color analyst.

• Love 1

Did anybody learn anything important about that Roger Goodell press conference that just happened other than it was a waste of 50 minutes & taking a catnap would of been more productive?

Edited by Magog
  • Love 1
On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 9:31 AM, Minneapple said:

He and fellow former Brown Andrew Hawkins have a podcast called the ThomaHawk Show. I think you can get it from iTunes.

Thomas is a smart guy, and very well-spoken. He'd make a great color analyst.

I love Joe Thomas!   I agree that he would make a very good color analyst.  In general, I think offensive lineman are good at this; like a QB, they see the entire field and are pretty good at diagnosing defenses.    

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Calvada said:

I love Joe Thomas!   I agree that he would make a very good color analyst.  In general, I think offensive lineman are good at this; like a QB, they see the entire field and are pretty good at diagnosing defenses.    

Can he replace Jason Witten PLEASE.    It is so clear Witten should not be in the booth.   He just doesn't have that magical "it" that makes a good announcer.    I am sure there are LOTS of things he could do other than MNF.   

On current events -- this is the most boring Super Bowl week yet.    And I LIKE the teams that are playing.   Oh well, maybe things will heat up this weekend. 

• Love 3
On ‎30‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 2:46 PM, doodlebug said:

Rob Gronkowski is finally getting the sort of attention he deserves for behaving like a pig:

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/new-england-patriots-rob-gronkowski-receives-backlash-over-sexually-suggestive-remark-at-female-reporter

It's about time someone called him out on the way he speaks to female reporters who are just trying to do their job.  No wonder the rest of us cannot stand the Patriots.

This asshole has long been held up as an example of 'free spirited', 'fun loving' and 'full of personality' NFL players. But this is exactly who he's always been - an idiot meathead who only gets away with acting this way because he's a talented player. This '69, hur hur, that's funny cos it's a sexual position' schtick is something he's been doing, probably since he was thirteen. But I guess it makes sense, that's when he stopped maturing.

Just one of the many, many reasons to loathe the Patriots, and to not be able to watch the Super Bowl for fear of their near inevitable victory.

• Love 6

Since 2002 the NFC has sent 12 different teams to the Super Bowl -

(Rams 2, Tampa, Carolina 2, Philly 2, Seattle 3, Chicago, Giants 2, Arizona, New Orleans, Green Bay, San Fran, Atlanta)

The AFC has sent 6 -

(New England 9 [so gross], Oakland, Pittsburgh 3, Indy 2, Baltimore, Denver 2)

And honestly I feel like you could make that number 5 because you could make Indy and Denver the same.

So really...WHAT is the AFC’s problem?

Looking back, New England shouldn’t even be starting this list because they shouldn’t have even BEEN in the 2002 Super Bowl.  And Charles Woodson is still not over it.

Also also, Green Bay having one entry is ridiculous.  They have not done right by Aaron Rodgers.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, mojoween said:

New England 9

So really...WHAT is the AFC’s problem?

I see no problem here. 

In all honesty, if they were in the NFC they’d be in the Super Bowl about as much, give it take one or two. 

• Love 2

It's about time someone called him out on the way he speaks to female reporters who are just trying to do their job.  No wonder the rest of us cannot stand the Patriots.

And it doesn't help IMO that the owner of the Patriots is a big Trump supporter. He has said that Trump was, "working hard to serve the best interests of the country."

• Love 6

It’s crazy to me that the cat from Miami is wearing a t-shirt and ball cap to the NFL Honors.  I mean, I get wanting to be an individual but maybe snazz it up a little? He was a Walter Payton nominee for cod’s sack.

In unrelated news, Franco Harris loves Saquon Barkley and for that I love Franco Harris.  Also OBJ announced the award to Saquads which was part of my fantasy football team name this year so Odell and I are basically best friends now.

Tony Gonzalez has been retired for five years?  That can’t be possible.

Ty Law, Hall of Famer.  Huh.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 1

Paul Rudd just *killed that intro tonight...best hometown repping since he yelled out: "Party at my mom's!!" during the infield ALCS celebration.

Congratulations Patrick!!!  Chiefs Kingdom would have wished you to hold up different hardware this week, but we knew this day would come, from the moment Von Miller grabbed you 'round the ankles, and you just...switched hands ("Fuck it, Tyreek's out there somewhere").

I think I held it together pretty well until I saw that even the Minnesota Twins had chimed in:

Who would’ve guessed this little guy would become the 2018 @NFL MVP?! Congrats @PatrickMahomes5! #MNTwins

25EA8457-FF53-4AD9-867E-DE6F32B6685A.jpeg

• Love 5

Congrats to all the MVP, Rookie, winners.  While I think Baker Mayfieldwas Rookie MVP - they don’t have that.  He didn’t start all games and he didn’t really catch on fire until Hue got canned.  Saquon was a beast all season.  Baker broke a bunch of records and lifted an entire fandom/city out of its doldrums.  

Besides, not winning will keep a 🔥 lit underneath Baker.  He seems to play better w/a chip on his shoulders.  Even Freddie said Baker had to scratch & claw to where he wanted to go.  That could only be good for the Browns.

Patrick & Arnold deserved their wins, wholeheartedly, tho I wouldn’t have been surprised to see Khalil win either.

ETA:  awww @voiceover

Edited by roamyn

I just saw a clip of Goodell saying that if a team thought Kaepernick could help their team win, they would sign him.

Did he watch Nathan Peterman play this season?

It's pretty amazing that on the day of the Super Bowl, we still don't know where the Raiders will be playing next season. 

• Love 4
17 hours ago, mojoween said:

It’s crazy to me that the cat from Miami is wearing a t-shirt and ball cap to the NFL Honors.  I mean, I get wanting to be an individual but maybe snazz it up a little? He was a Walter Payton nominee for cod’s sack.

In unrelated news, Franco Harris loves Saquon Barkley and for that I love Franco Harris.  Also OBJ announced the award to Saquads which was part of my fantasy football team name this year so Odell and I are basically best friends now.

Tony Gonzalez has been retired for five years?  That can’t be possible.

Ty Law, Hall of Famer.  Huh.

Franco Harris, like Saquon, is Penn State alum. So not surprising he is a huge fan. Speaking of, I'm pretty sure whoever is in charge of the Nittany Lion's twitter account is the one who actually started the nickname, even though OBJ has been getting the credit. This was the first tweet about it (which I saw when it was originally posted), tagging OBJ, and mention of it that I saw right before it spread. Though OBJ changed it up a bit. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Moose135 said:

image.png.f3b876c1f277b0135ba275dd3aeab745.png

*hearteyes*  

I could watch this all day.  Then XLVI.  Then XXI (the first SB I ever watched where I understood the point of the game, that was coincidentally two months after my 13 year old self fell in love with Phil Simms and decided that the Giants were the best team on earth) and then XXV.  SB XXXV does not exist.

Tony Romo interviewing Tom Brady was the best time for me to sweep out the litter box room.  Gotta get the chores done before kickoff!

• Love 5

Should be 28-24 Pats but based on how & why they win, 65-0 Pats sounds more reasonable IMO

Hope for a great game, but at least if it gets out of hand I can turn in early.  Just like Superbowl 51

1 hour ago, xaxat said:

My brother just reminded me that Ty Law played at the same high school as my father. (Ditka is already in and Darrelle Revis is next.)

Congrats Ty!

It's about time!

As mentioned, it's amazing how the Pats are the only dynasty (between the Steelers, Niners, and Cowboys) that lack hall of famers, so apart from Ty Law being selected, we may be seeing Pats players start to get in before Brady and Bill get there (Seymour and Vrabel, Moss last year and Revis in 2023)