Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

The announcers are slobbering all over NE, as per usual.  And the sainted gazillionaire Kraft is paying the zebras to not call penalties for the Bolts.  I will have to start drinking heavily once again and wonder what type of human sacrifice NE is doing to keep this unnatural streak going.

• Love 9

First half of Charges-Pats :  Exhibit A why anyone who thinks Phillip Rivers is a HOF QB is crazy. 

Continually the team and Rivers blow it in big games. 

The Colts-Chiefs game was ugly.  At least the Colts have the excuse they are a young team and a first year head coach

This is horrifying

• Love 9

Gronk got his first catch of the day and a Charger tried to arm tackle him.

It went about as well as you would imagine.  And I couldn’t even laugh because the Patriots are SO gross.

Aaaand I’m turning back to Nat Geo for the 90’s marathon.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 1

I can't I am very surprised by what is happening to the Chargers. I had a feeling last week when they were playing against the Ravens that they weren't going to do well in this game today. I didn't trust them to beat the Patriots.

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 3
36 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

So I guess I should be glad I've been shoveling snow during the first half?  

Nah... I hate snow.  I'd have rather watched this. 

I shoveled snow.  Damn if it isn't still coming down but not as much.

Now I'm getting ready for that epic fight between Hector and Achilles in Troy.  Much more exciting than this game.

Romo's irritating voice isn't helping.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

First half of Charges-Pats :  Exhibit A why anyone who thinks Phillip Rivers is a HOF QB is crazy.

I have no idea why people think Rivers is a shoe-in for the HOF.   Fine he has no rings, that is not grounds to keep him out.   But subjective criteria -- so amazing that teams have to game plan for him  -- does THAT fit Rivers?   Did he change the game in any way?    Does he do amazing things in games that makes you go "wow how did he DO that?"    Nope on all counts.

If you are reduced to stats and comparisons, he is not Hall of Fame worthy, Hall of Very Good Maybe (TM Pro Football Researchers Association, which reminds me time to renew my membership) but no Hall of Fame.   The Hall is reserved for the best of the best.    Not nice guys who played well.

P.S.   I don't think Eli belongs in the Hall despite having 2 rings.   

• Love 6

^I liked that, even though I want Eli to be in the Hall, since they continue to defy me and exclude Phil Simms.

But people keep pushing the narrative that Rivers is better without providing a damn good reason.  Yes rings alone don’t get you there, because Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson are not Hall of Famers in any universe, but Eli wasn’t dragged along on either of those two SB wins.  They wouldn’t have won them with Joe Blow QB.

For some reason, even though the Eagles have broken my heart on numerous occasions (fuck you still and forever, DeSean Jackson), I can’t hate them even as a rival.  They’re no Dallas, that’s for sure.

9 minutes ago, mojoween said:

But people keep pushing the narrative that Rivers is better without providing a damn good reason.  Yes rings alone don’t get you there, because Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson are not Hall of Famers in any universe, but Eli wasn’t dragged along on either of those two SB wins.  They wouldn’t have won them with Joe Blow QB.

What people always seem to overlook is not only did Eli win two SB rings, he was MVP of both of those games.  So yes, they don't win those two without him.

• Love 6
21 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

I have no idea why people think Rivers is a shoe-in for the HOF.   Fine he has no rings, that is not grounds to keep him out.   But subjective criteria -- so amazing that teams have to game plan for him  -- does THAT fit Rivers?   Did he change the game in any way?    Does he do amazing things in games that makes you go "wow how did he DO that?"    Nope on all counts.

If you are reduced to stats and comparisons, he is not Hall of Fame worthy, Hall of Very Good Maybe (TM Pro Football Researchers Association, which reminds me time to renew my membership) but no Hall of Fame.   The Hall is reserved for the best of the best.    Not nice guys who played well.

P.S.   I don't think Eli belongs in the Hall despite having 2 rings.   

I agree.  I always think of a HOF QB as someone who gets the ball with less than 2 minutes left and no timeouts and you just know he's taking his team down the field for the game winning score.  When he's the guy on your team, there's no better feeling, and when he's on the opposing team, there's no worse feeling.  I never think of Rivers that way.  

I think Eli will get in.  I can't imagine a 2 time SB MVP not getting in.  And he got those 2 rings by beating Brady.  Plus his name is Manning.  But I never understand the HOF voting.  I was disappointed that once again Leroy Butler is not a finalist.  He's got better stats than John Lynch - more sacks, more interceptions, more forced fumbles, and he did it in 40 fewer games.  Plus he invented the Lambeau Leap, something now done by just about every other team in the league.  Give the man a gold jacket!

• Love 2

I don’t think Phil Simms or Rivers belong 8n the HoF.  Eli, yes, for 2 rings, the comeback drives, and beating St. Tom & Lord Bill.  Even the great Fran Tarkenton never made it - which is BS.  SB wins on their own should not count; otherwise what do you do with Marino?

F*k I hate the Pats.  Hopefully the Chiefs D shows up next week, like it did against the Colts.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

Rings shouldn't count against you, but they should help you too. You look at Marino, and Miami was always in the mix and winning all the time. Rivers isn't leading 12 win teams every year and/or winning the division. Longevity in and of itself not a defining quality. He only got into the AFC championship the one time iirc. 

43 minutes ago, Calvada said:

I can't imagine a 2 time SB MVP not getting in.

Was Plunkett MVP of either of his? I don't remember. 

Plunkett threw 164 TDs and 198 interceptions.  Completion record of 52.5% and career QB rating of 67.5.  Eli Manning has 360 TDs and 239 INTs, completion rate is 60.3% and career rating is 84.1.  Comparing 2 different eras, but Eli's stats a bit better.  Their win loss records, perhaps a better thing to compare: Plunkett 72-72 and Eli 124-118.  Plunkett is 8-2 in the playoffs and Eli is 8-4.    

I go back to the fact that Eli's last name is Manning, plus he beat Brady & Belichick in his 2 Super Bowls.  Probably will give him the edge, especially since in his 2 SBs he led a late game-winning drive.  

Edited by Calvada
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

I have no idea what I am rooting for with Saints and Eagles.  I like both stories.

If the Pats can’t win it all this year, I want Brees to get another ring before he retires. He’s always been overshadowed but is so so so good. And a real class act.

I don’t think either Eli or Rivers belongs in the HoF (nor does Carson Palmer, who is the other guy of that generation whose name gets bandied about). But imo Eli will get in because he played in New York and his last name is Manning.

• Love 1

Poor Alshon looks devastated, but he has his Super Bowl ring to go home to so can’t feel too bad for him. 

Its going to be tough for the Rams to beat the Saints at home.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, twoods said:

Its going to be tough for the Rams to beat the Saints at home.

Yep, they'd have had a better chance with the Eagles coming to them, but I'm still happy with this Saints win; I'll take knowing I'll be all-in for either NFC team over risking another Super Bowl where I have to hold my nose and root for the Eagles because they're playing the Patriots and I'd root for anyone other than the Cowboys against the Patriots (or an Eagles/Chiefs Super Bowl, in which I wouldn't give a shit about either team).

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, AimingforYoko said:

I'm sure the Philly fans will be completely reasonable about this.

I'm sure too, because when you think of the Philly fans, the first word that comes to mind is "reasonable."  

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Calvada said:

I'm sure too, because when you think of the Philly fans, the first word that comes to mind is "reasonable."  

Thank you. lol  ;-)  Also, I live over the bridge in Jersey.

That ending hurt, but I'm still proud of my Eagles. 

#FlyEaglesFly

ETA: Go Chiefs! I'd like to see Andy win it all. Has his clock management gotten any better?  lol

Edited by lb60

Since I think I prompted the discussion, I don't think Rivers or Eli belong in the HOF. 

Neither does Jim Plunkett.  Or Tom Flores.  I bring him up because he is a finalist this year.  He is like the coaching equivalent of Eli at QB.  Had a couple good but not great teams that got hot at the right time and won two SBs.  His overall career though he is barely above .500. 

Neither were ever considered consistently in even in the top 5 of their era

Sure they have both had individual years where they were in that range, but not consistently. 

Stats alone and longevity should not get you in as a QB.  This isn't baseball. 

Hoping for Saints Chiefs SB. 

Seems most likely too.  This week the home team won every game. 

• Love 1

Since I can't have my Pats/Eagles rematch, a Saints/Pats SB with Brees beating Brady is a great story and capper to a 'Nobody believed in me' career in that he'd have beaten the top two veteran QBs (Peyton Manning and Tom Brady) of his era on the biggest stage. 

On the other hand a Rams/Chiefs rematch wouldn't be so bad either. The Shootout, Part II.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Hoping for Saints Chiefs SB.

Either that, or the Rams and the Chiefs-- either one would save my sanity, being as New England quite cruelly scrubbed any possibility of a two-sides-from-the-same-area Super Bowl!

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Calvada said:

As someone who's seen visiting fans from most teams, Philly fans are without a doubt the worst.  Worse than Pats fans, worse than Steelers fans.  The absolute worst.

My biggest nightmare was a Cowboys/Pats SB.  Whew.  Now I can root for anyone who can beat the Pats.

• Love 6
On 1/12/2019 at 11:59 PM, SuburbanHangSuite said:

Ever notice how they cut to the Crypt Keeper's owner's box at every possible opportunity when Dallas is up?  But when they're losing?  Crickets.  I kept waiting for them to cut to a miserable Jerry Jones but no dice.  I guess the Rams D keeping Elliot from doing that stupid "Feed Me" gesture will just have to be its own reward.

There's an advantage to listening to the radio.

3 of the 4 teams I wanted to win won. I'm looking for a Chiefs/Saints Super Bowl. A year ago yesterday Vikings beat Saints in the Minneapolis miracle. Then the following week got clobbered by Eagles. So I'm glad Saints won.

Edited by Lamb18

I hope I’m not stepping on toes by asking this, but I’m genuinely curious:

Why do people hate Dallas so much? Is it because Jerry Jones is awful, the “ America’s Team” crap, or is it something else?

• Love 2

Ah, I guess I was the only one that was hoping for Foles magic at the end. I just like the guy. Loved his speech to the team before hand ("Let's play for each other!) and his exclamation to his teammate after that first TD ("Shit yeah!"), and how he went over to Alshon after that missed pass when Alshon was standing all alone looking like he killed Bambi and Foles got in his face ("Hey, HEY!) I couldn't tell what he said after that, but it was something kind. 

Okay, now I'm really going to need KC to beat the Pats. Mahomes needs to take his miracle year to the end anyway. It's the best story and he's earned it.

PS. I had to turn my sound down to watch Saints/Eagles. My god was that loud. I don't like when it interferes with the game, it's kind of silly. And how do these guys not get hearing damage? 

Edited by TVbitch
40 minutes ago, Sara2009 said:

I hope I’m not stepping on toes by asking this, but I’m genuinely curious:

Why do people hate Dallas so much? Is it because Jerry Jones is awful, the “ America’s Team” crap, or is it something else?

I'd say those are two of the biggest reasons.  A lot of us got tired of having 'America's Team' shoved down our throats at the expense of the teams we personally loved. 

• Love 11

Dallas has so many things going against it.  They lost a lot of Dallas fans when Jerry bought the team and fired Tom Landry over the radio.  I will never get over that.  You had the resurgence during the Aikman years (though I still didn’t like them), but you also had the drug and sex scandals.  Jerry keeps speaking out loud, which hurts their image everytime.  And listening to announcers/team members try to play the America’s Team card now when that era ended so long ago is just offensive.

• Love 14
55 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

I'd say those are two of the biggest reasons.  A lot of us got tired of having 'America's Team' shoved down our throats at the expense of the teams we personally loved. 

The same way I've ever felt lately about the Patriots!

• Love 3
1 hour ago, doodlebug said:

Dallas are my team, but the “ America’s Team” thing makes me cringe. So I understand why it bothers fans of other teams.

• Love 1