Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, mojoween said:

Adam Gase? To the Jets?  To coach Sam Darnold?  Ooooookay.

This, along with the stories that the Cardinals were considering Dom Capers as their DC are just more evidence of the fact that, once you've made it into the NFL as a coach, you're set for life. They will protect your reputation, they will use that old boys network to ensure you're looked after. As long as you're considered 'a good guy', there will always be a job, no matter how incompetent you are.

Forget the players, they're all expendable, they can be thrown under the bus at any time. But the coaches and front office guys? Oh, you better bet that then NFL will look after them.

Oh I am dying.  One of the ESPN pundits said Gase is a good hire for the Jets because “he did a good job in Denver with Peyton Manning.”

HA HA HA.  By the time he got to Denver, Peyton didn’t even NEED a coach.  

• Love 12

I'm rooting for the Colts. They're hot right now and the Chiefs struggle with teams that can match them score for score. I'm interested in how the weather is going to influence the game. 

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

So the Chiefs fans can beat on a fucking drum and let out Indian chants to start the game and that's fine with people, but if someone says Redskins, then people lose their shit? 

That's not fine with anyone with whom I discuss the issue, but using a damn slur as the team name is still a level above (below?) cultural appropriation.

• Love 8
12 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

I didn't really have a rooting interest in this one, but I'm glad the Chiefs won for one reason: No AFC Championship in Gillette.

Since I don't care about the Chiefs or Patriots, I'll just watch whomever makes it to the NFC Championship.

So happy for the Chiefs and for my beloved Walrus.  I'm glad Mahomes kept

. . . his stuff together (sorry my fingers hit the wrong button).  I can't be mad at any player because yammering announcers slobber over them.

What the hell is it with kickers this season???  Adam V misses a PAT and DOINKS a FG.  I'm beginning to think DOINK is the name of the new strain of flu affecting kickers!

• Love 4
23 minutes ago, basiltherat said:

So happy for the Chiefs and for my beloved Walrus.  I'm glad Mahomes kept

. . . his stuff together (sorry my fingers hit the wrong button).  I can't be mad at any player because yammering announcers slobber over them.

What the hell is it with kickers this season???  Adam V misses a PAT and DOINKS a FG.  I'm beginning to think DOINK is the name of the new strain of flu affecting kickers!

Did you see what Charles Woodson tweeted about Viniateri?  "Now he misses in the snow."  

Just now, Bastet said:

I demand federal legislation prohibiting Troy Aikman from calling Cowboys games.

If only Congress actually did anything . . .

• Love 3

Ha! That’s what I said. Viniateri misses now and not when he was a Pat?

Typical Rams, doing well then stalling in the  red zone. This does not look well for them. Wait, never mind. This is going to be a close game.

Im surprised they haven’t planned on Jerry yet since this feels like a Cowboys home game. There are way too many silver and blue jerseys around the LA area.

Edited by twoods

Did you guys watch the feed of the brewery in Chicago who challenged people to kick a 43 yard field goal to show it’s not as easy as all those armchair kickers in Chicago think it is, now is it?

It was hilarious.  Now I was rooting for Mike Golic Jr. to make it, and he badly shanked it, but he wasn’t even the worst looking one.  If you can find the videos, it’s well worth the watch.  The only thing I wish they didn’t have was the giant fence in front, because that changes the strategy, I think.

FOX, stop showing LeBron James.  Just stop.

• Love 6

Colts played awful today, but the Chiefs at home are going to be hard for anyone to beat next week.  I expect them to be in the SB. 

And I'd like to see the Chiefs win, its been a long time for them.  Almost 50 years since last SB appearance. 

I know the Chargers have never won, but, California teams, and especially LA teams, I just can't root for, with few exceptions.

Still a good season for the Colts and the future is bright. 

• Love 2

Marcus Peters is seriously chapping my ass tonight, and McVay's challenge was idiotic; add in the first and goals that petered out to FGs, and the fact the Rams seem to have decided it was over at halftime and they don't have to play anymore, and this game is killing me.

22 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Did you guys watch the feed of the brewery in Chicago who challenged people to kick a 43 yard field goal to show it’s not as easy as all those armchair kickers in Chicago think it is, now is it?

It was hilarious.  Now I was rooting for Mike Golic Jr. to make it, and he badly shanked it, but he wasn’t even the worst looking one.  If you can find the videos, it’s well worth the watch.  The only thing I wish they didn’t have was the giant fence in front, because that changes the strategy, I think.

FOX, stop showing LeBron James.  Just stop.

I once tried a short FG (20 yards or so) at a charitable event sponsored by the University of Wisconsin.  Not only did I shank it, it only traveled about 11 or 12 yards.  It's a LOT more difficult than people think.

I'd rather see LeBron than Jerry Jones.  I'm really torn about this game.  I don't like Dallas, but I despise Ndamukong Suh.  Such a dirty player.  

Try living in north Texas and hating the Cowboys...then you all have a right to gripe! I couldn’t even turn on the radio or watch local TV stations last week because of having them and their corpse of an owner crammed down my throat all freaking week. A local police officer was shot during a traffic stop yesterday. So this morning as I was waiting on Keurig to spit out my coffee, I turned on the local news at 7 am to see how the officer was doing (he’s in serious condition but going to be ok). But the first three stories were about the Cowboys and stupid fans traveling to LA and the scene at DFW Airport. WTF? That is more important? So I turned off the TV and went to the local police department’s website for an update. So, send your sports sympathy my way, fellow haters.

Edited by Spunkygal
  • Love 2

CJ Anderson is a small and large human all at the same time.

Flipper Anderson is my nemesis.  I haaaaaated Kurt Warner and The Greatest Show on Turf.  I mean, I rooted for the Patriots in that Super Bowl.  The Patriots!  However.  I cheered so hard tonight that you would think that *I* was born in LA, moved to St. Louis and then wandered back to LA.

For the last, glorious time this year...FUCK DALLAS!

• Love 10

YES!!!

Now, the fact the Rams did not dominate on the scoreboard the way they did on the rest of the stats is a problem heading into next week, especially if they play the Saints.  But they knocked the fucking Cowboys out of the playoffs, so all is right with the world.

You know that shot TV shows and movies love of mental patients pacing the room talking to themselves?  That was me for the entire fourth quarter.  I possibly even hit myself in the head.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 6

Very disappointed with the Cowboys defense. This loss is largely on them. They let the Rams run all over them throughtout this game. Now with the Cowboys out, I hope that the Saints advance to the NFC championship game and win it.

• Love 2

Legit question - Al made a comment about the difficulty of doing an onside kick with the new rules. What are these rules?

Because I would have thought being down 8 with a smidge over 2 minutes you *and* the Rams only punted like once? You go with the onside kick. You have to go 3 and out at that point if you're Dallas so it doesn't matter where the ball is. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/111299536

Players on the kicking team can no longer get a head start on running and players have to be evenly distibuted on both sides. I haven’t seen a successful onside kick in ages, and the new rule does make it impossible. Three timeouts and the two minute warning, no way I’m onside kicking it. They had the Rams on third and long but what a play call to keep the defense on their toes. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

But those kind of things are really silly.  I know kicking field goals is hard.  That's why I don't play in the NFL.  This guy is paid a lot of money to kick field goals.  All he does all week is practice kicking field goals.  He doesn't throw passes, he doesn't catch passes, he doesn't block guys, he doesn't cut the grass at the practice facility, all he does is kick field goals.  That's his job.  He is expected to be good at it.  If it is too hard, he can go find something else to do.  Yes, the outrage, especially the threats, from fans isn't warranted, but to ask someone off the street to try to kick a field goal to prove to them it is hard doesn't really prove anything.    A hundred years ago, I flew airplanes in the Air Force.  I was pretty good at it - never hurt myself or anyone else, and never bent an airplane.  If I put you in the cockpit and said "OK, now go land this airplane" just to show you it is hard to do, that wouldn't be a fair comparison either.  You haven't been through the amount of training and practice that I had, so I wouldn't expect you to perform at the level I could.

55 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Flipper Anderson is my nemesis.

Man, I hated that guy!

55 minutes ago, mojoween said:

For the last, glorious time this year...FUCK DALLAS!

Hell yeah!  And we won't have to see Skelator on TV again this season!

• Love 11
2 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

Try living in north Texas and hating the Cowboys...then you all have a right to gripe! I couldn’t even turn on the radio or watch local TV stations last week because of having them and their corpse of an owner crammed down my throat all freaking week.

Heh.  And so accurate.

Ever notice how they cut to the Crypt Keeper's owner's box at every possible opportunity when Dallas is up?  But when they're losing?  Crickets.  I kept waiting for them to cut to a miserable Jerry Jones but no dice.  I guess the Rams D keeping Elliot from doing that stupid "Feed Me" gesture will just have to be its own reward.

Edited by SuburbanHangSuite
spelling
  • Love 5

I was wondering what Talib’s expletive comments towards Goff was, and I guess he said “who’s f-ing soft now?” Goff has heard that for years, and kudos for coming out and just playing despite the naysayers. He never gets mad at his teammates or showboats and just goes out to do his job. I’m also happy that CJ did well. I’m sure he’s got a chip on his shoulder for getting cut twice this season. I don’t think they have a chance against the Saints (or the Eagles) but they are fun to watch. 

I agree that it’s difficult to be a kicker and it’s his job, but those armchair assholes who are whining about how they can kick a FG needed to be the ones attempting a kick. Most of those social media nuts have probably never played a sport in their life, yet here they are threatening players. There are even people tonight making fun of how big CJ is, when I’m sure most are in crappy shape. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Jx223 said:

Very disappointed with the Cowboys defense. This loss is largely on them. They let the Rams run all over them throughtout this game. Now with the Cowboys out, I hope that the Saints advance to the NFC championship game and win it.

I hope the Rams win the NFC title-- L.A. hasn't been in a Super Bowl in ages since the Raiders were in XVIII almost 35 years ago (and which they won)!

Once I allowed myself a smidgen of hope, I knew this would happen.   Oh I wanted to believe.   I should know better.    But at least it was closer than Colts-Chiefs.

Oh well, I predicted a Rams-Chiefs Super Bowl earlier this season.   And the Cowboys have hope for the future.   I think we do need a new coach.   Garrett only gets creative and aggressive when they got nothing to lose.    Earlier in the season when it looked like another lost season, he started getting aggressive and they took the East.   This game, down 20-7 they go for it on 4th down AND SCORE.   Hmmm.  They need to play that way All. The.  Time. 

• Love 1

I despise Jones & the Cowboys, but I can’t help but love Zeke.  He will always be a great Buckeye to me.  I lik Amari Cooper, too.

But I am glad for Goff & CJ.

And I desperately need Bosa, Rivers & Co. to beat the Pats today.  I hate them, Brady, Belicheck & that stupid Gronk more than the Cowboys.

I’ve been predicting a Rams/Chiefs SB all season, but my love & respect for Marty makes the Chiefs my 2nd favorite team.

• Love 1

Aqib Talib cracked me up.  You know he knows who Chris Meyers is and that would be a live interview and he didn’t give a fuck.  Ok well actually he gave one.

Goff made me laugh too.  “He’s not wrong.”

I’m not going to get all het up about people being emotional and cursing in the moment.  But considering Ed Werder clutched his pearls at Tony Romo saying “pissed” on air last weekend he must have fainted dead away last night.

• Love 2

Regarding that Chicago Bears kicker:  I had a little sympathy for him even though he had one job.  But then he decides to go on the Today show, I guess looking for sympathy.  He sat there looking all butt hurt and sad with Hoda and Savannah, and I was waiting for them to give him a pat on the head, a pacifier, and a blankee.   I wanted to kick him.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, roamyn said:

And I desperately need Bosa, Rivers & Co. to beat the Pats today.  I hate them, Brady, Belicheck & that stupid Gronk more than the Cowboys.

I’ve been predicting a Rams/Chiefs SB all season, but my love & respect for Marty makes the Chiefs my 2nd favorite team.

It doesn't matter if the Pats win, they won't get by the Chiefs - and I say this as a Pats fan.

I think it'll be Rams/Chiefs SB as well - barring some miracle.

Edited by jcin617

I realize that I am a fat old lady who has never played a minute of competitive sports in her life, so I should not judge, but the clip of Tom Brady running the 40 at the combine is always going to make me laugh.

Similar to how Dan LeBetard once described Ben Roethlisberger, he looks like a skyscraper trying to run.

17 hours ago, BuckeyeLou said:

I couldn't believe Adam Vinateri missed 2 kicks!  Yikes....the weather had to be a factor in the game today.  

No, it wasn't really

Colts just didn't show up and were not prepared for that game. 

Weather wouldn't have mattered one bit. 

I fully expect a Chiefs/Saints SB. 

I don't see any way the Eagles go into New Orleans and beat the Saints.  That game isn't coming down to a missed Saints FG

13 hours ago, Moose135 said:

But those kind of things are really silly.  I know kicking field goals is hard.  That's why I don't play in the NFL.  This guy is paid a lot of money to kick field goals.  All he does all week is practice kicking field goals.  He doesn't throw passes, he doesn't catch passes, he doesn't block guys, he doesn't cut the grass at the practice facility, all he does is kick field goals.  That's his job.  He is expected to be good at it.  If it is too hard, he can go find something else to do.  Yes, the outrage, especially the threats, from fans isn't warranted, but to ask someone off the street to try to kick a field goal to prove to them it is hard doesn't really prove anything.    A hundred years ago, I flew airplanes in the Air Force.  I was pretty good at it - never hurt myself or anyone else, and never bent an airplane.  If I put you in the cockpit and said "OK, now go land this airplane" just to show you it is hard to do, that wouldn't be a fair comparison either.  You haven't been through the amount of training and practice that I had, so I wouldn't expect you to perform at the level I could.

Are you telling me that my TV has been lying to me, and I wouldn't be able to land a plane in an emergency???  But I can still outrun an explosion, right?

Back to football - Philip Rivers trying to run is very amusing.  Especially when it looks like he's wearing about 4 layers of clothing.  

• Love 1

Gah with this game. The Pats are beating them up on offense, and it doesn’t help that those defensive holding and PI calls that the Chargers are getting called on are not getting called on the other side. Chargers don’t seem to have an answer for all those blitzes. Looks to be blowout. 

Edited by twoods

I really hate both these teams so Go Chiefs but if the Pats are going to continue to stomp all over the Chargers this is going to get unwatchable very fast, if it’s not already there.

Edited by mojoween

I figured the Patriots were going to beat the shit out of the Chargers, forcing me to root hard for Kansas City next weekend, but this is even uglier than I imagined.  This game is just background noise as I finish off my Bloody Mary and wait for the NFC game (go Saints!), though.