Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
TheGongOfDoom

NFL Thread

1 hour ago, Popples said:

At first, I thought Devin Bush had his arm in a sling,

I did, too; that outfit took me a minute to comprehend.

It's pretty common to see linemen "clean up" after they retire. Shave the lumberjack beard, get a haircut, lose the football weight. . . 

Not former Jet Nick Mangold. Dude looks just like he did when he was playing.

John Dorsey needs a mural - ala LeBron - in downtown Cleveland!

• Like 1

On 4/26/2019 at 6:16 PM, Popples said:

At first, I thought Devin Bush had his arm in a sling, then I realized he's been stealing from 80's Bobby Brown's wardrobe. As long as he can tackle and make plays, I don't even care. But Twitter had me rolling about his outfit.

Yeah, it was weird. I wonder if any teams scrambled to find out if he had hurt himself. LOL.

Baltimore Colts great Gino Marchetti passed away on Monday at the age of 93.   The guy was a legend.   He played in one of the greatest games in history, the Colts v. Giants in 55(?).   Played 14 seasons in the NFL at a time when players played both offense and defense.   They don't make them like him anymore.

RIP.

• Sad 2

Gino Marchetti played in the NFL's first playoff championship "sudden death" overtime game in 1958 against the Colts.  I remember it well because I was a kid watching with my father and his friends, and he was supposed to be watching my two-year old brother.  While we were mesmerized watching the game, my brother fell down a couple stairs and cut his lip just a little, and my mom cussed my dad out.  LOL.

R.I.P., Mr. Marchetti.  Good memories!

• Like 4

For fellow Giants fans - I was also disappointed immediately after the draft. Now that I've had time for the emotions to settle, I feel a little better. Also, don't know if any of you are familiar with Big Blue Kickoff Live (on the Giants.com website and app). It's a daily call in show that their main media people do - kind of a podcast but it's initially live with callers. Anyway, they are fans of the team but they are really good about keeping level heads and making sense of why certain decisions were made. Listening to them has helped me. They don't have any insider scoop or anything like that, although they have some extra access to people. But I recommend listening if you are a fan. Some former players also work for them and do some of the shows, so that's fun. 

Aaron Rodgers was an extra on Game of Thrones Sunday.  He got burned up with the rest of the city.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

Stealing a comment from the Internet:

The Knicks are the laughingstock of New York sports right now.  The Jets: “Hold my beer...”

• Like 3

Three way race between Jets, Knicks and Giants for New York based laughingstock. Mets don't seem too bad this year.

I'm fascinated by guys like Gase and Hue Jackson whose main and possibly only skill is accumulating power within an organization rather than, like, coaching. Any type of coaching. They suck increasingly but continue to wield power within the organization until they have to fire him.

• Like 6

Chris Long announced his retirement tonight.

Long played for St. Louis and won back to back Super Bowls playing for new england and Philadelphia as well as winning this years Walter Peyton Man of the Year.

Thanks Chris for helping to bring a Super Bowl championship to the Eagles will. Never forget you going down the parade route in a fake fur coat and a Allen Iverson Jersey.

• Like 7

The NFL Network is showing something called The NFL Quarterback Challenge with the likes of Favre and McNair and Young and Dilfer and Kordell Stewart and Baltimore Ravens QB Jim Harbaugh and it is amazing.

I can’t quite pinpoint the year because I didn’t realize Young and McNair played at the same time but the NFL should go back to doing this.  They’ve made strides with the Pro Bowl Skills Challenge but this is all QB’s all the time.

Edit - as I am watching further maybe they can’t do this now, since the QB who wins one of the comps has to be able to throw 75 yards.  

Edited by mojoween
  • Like 2