Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

I like Tony. I think I'm one of the few who doesn't mind his enthusiasm. I find it more entertaining than Joe Buck, who calls games like he's delivering a eulogy. 

As a Pats fan, I'm happy they won, but I'm finding it hard to muster up excitement for the Super Bowl. I'm tired of the endless political drama over the stupid halftime show, and I don't find a match up with the Rams all that intriguing. I would've much rather preferred a Brady/Brees showdown.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Moose135 said:

At times like this, I'm consoled by remembering that the two times they played the Giants in the SB, the G-men kicked their sorry butts back to Foxborough.

18-1, baby. Though I’m not a true Giants fan, Eli and the Giants will always have a special place in my heart because of those two SB victories. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

Andy Reid is to the passing game what Marty Schottenheimer was to the running game.  When it matters most their teams choke, just using a different method.

Back in the 80s,  I think it was NBC that experimented by having an entire game aired without announcers, it was a disaster.  I think it is time to revisit that.  Yes, I can mute the television, but then I couldn't hear the crowd roar, the refs yack (blow calls), and other game noises.

It would be nice if the announcers would shut their collective pie holes for five seconds and let the viewers experience the game without their ass kissing.  Sometimes less is more.

Both games sucked.  I won't be watching  "the entitled" vs "the self-absorbed".  It won't take much to figure out which team is which.

ETA:  I no longer have a favorite NFL team.  Since the Chargers moved out of San Diego, I have just been watching for the sake of watching.

I feel just the opposite in terms of teams as I get older

I hate the Patriots.  Beyond that, I don't really dislike any team too much

Even though the Chiefs beat the Colts, I was rooting for them.  That team hasn't been to a SB in almost 50 years.  I like Mahommes, he is probably the most physically gifted passer in the league since a younger Aaron Rodgers.  Tyreek Hill was on my fantasy team this year and played great for me. 

I like Brees.  I wanted to see him win another one.

The Rams.....uh...don't like them but no opposed to them.  Don't dislike them

I thought the bears defense with Mack was amazing this year and really wanted to see them match up with some of the top offenses in the playoffs. 

I can find things to like about almost all the teams, in or out of the playoffs

Just not the Patriots.  I can respect BB as a coach.  I think he is the best coach in the history of the game.  Doesn't mean I have to like him though

• Love 3

Can you imagine watching a movie with Tony Romo?

"Okay, Michael Corleone is telling Tessio that he'll meet with the heads of the Five Families, but be on the lookout for a baptism audible, where he has everyone killed, instead!"

• Love 11
4 minutes ago, Kip Hackman said:

Can you imagine watching a movie with Tony Romo?

"Okay, Michael Corleone is telling Tessio that he'll meet with the heads of the Five Families, but be on the lookout for a baptism audible, where he has everyone killed, instead!"

Yeah, I’d constantly be telling him to shut up .

What’s funny is that when watching football, my husband and teenage sons also call out the defenses and can predict almost every play the offense is going to run based on how they line up. I suppose it should bother me, but it doesn’t. 

I would imagine that most ex-NFL players and coaches do the same thing in their heads when they’re sitting the booth. So why is Romo the only one who yells out so much?

The only upside is that if the Rams win, the media will do less Patriots' butt kissing.

Win or lose the media will obsess over the Pats because that’s where the ratings are: either from haters tuning in hoping for the schadenfreude, or fans looking for yet another victory.   Last night’s AFC game was the highest rated TV program since SB LII, not coincidentally also the Pats.

The focus won’t die down until Brady retires - and actually a win in SB LIII would make that more likely.

Edited by jcin617
  • Love 2
21 minutes ago, galaxygirl76 said:

Yeah he finally made it to the Super Bowl.

He did say to Brady after the Patriots beat the Cowboys in the regular season in 2015 "See you in the Super Bowl". I guess this is what he meant.

Edited by Fukui San
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

I realize that the Rams at one point were based out of Los Angeles and that Georgia Frontiere moved the Rams to St. Louis and now under new ownership they were moved back to Los Angeles.  I get it.  I just find it difficult to support any team that bails on its fan base.  Especially any team that has spent any considerable length of time at one location.  I think loyalty matters.

I just can't root for either team.

The only upside is that if the Rams win, the media will do less Patriots' butt kissing.

I feel bad for St. Louis.  St. Louis has lost multiple NFL franchises.  I do realize that St. Louis is considered a baseball town.

The Rams started out in Cleveland before moving to LA in 1946.

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

The Rams started out in Cleveland before moving to LA in 1946.

Yeah, they've always been a nomadic franchise. And it's hard for me to feel sorry for the St. Louis fans, when they stole the team from L.A.  It's like Carolina Hurricanes fans feeling salty if the team moved back to Hartford.

Now, the whole Phoenix/Arizona Cardinals thing is another story.

• Love 2

I realize that the Rams at one point were based out of Los Angeles and that Georgia Frontiere moved the Rams to St. Louis and now under new ownership they were moved back to Los Angeles.  I get it.  I just find it difficult to support any team that bails on its fan base.  Especially any team that has spent any considerable length of time at one location.  I think loyalty matters.

I just can't root for either team.

I feel bad for St. Louis.  St. Louis has lost multiple NFL franchises.  I do realize that St. Louis is considered a baseball town.

Personally, I don't feel bad for St. Louis based on what you said.  They do have a team in another sport that is similar to the Pats in terms of being relevant and consistent.  Not to mention the ability to acquire premium talent within a division that includes teams that can't beyond a fan's control or even a team's control.

As for the Rams themselves, there are several players on that team worth rooting for (some others not so much).  Mainly Aaron Donald.  Personally I'm glad to see him get to complete a season (meaning get to the Superbowl).  I thought LA would have to wait another year or two especially given how it was all but impossible to win in the Superdome, and then next year have to worry about teams like Seattle, San Francisco if healthy, Philly and Chicago (in addition to New Orleans).  Yesterday I "made" my pick on the Pats winning since it was immediate reaction and my pick before Week 1.  However, I sorta might relax and wait until next Friday to make that official.

New England (who has several players worth rooting for as well) has what it takes to beat everyone with anyone on all 3 stages of the game.  The Rams just went into the Superdome and won, something that didn't really get mentioned.  Sure Philly almost did it last week, but they were up 14-0 whereas LA was down 13-0.  It'll be tough for the Rams to win, but I think it's very possible.  They were the last team standing and have a complete team.

Not really rooting for any team either, but not rooting against either team.  I think Super Bowl LIII has a chance to be a great game and maybe the best in history.  Maybe not beating Super Bowl XXV but I'm hoping for a good game and nothing like Superbowl XLVIII

16 minutes ago, Carey said:

New England (who has several players worth rooting for as well)

None come to mind.....

I can only root for Aaron Donald to get his Justin Tuck on.  Brady needs to meet turf, since he didn’t at all yesterday.

The issue with the Rams is Suh.  There are going to be a lot (a lot a lot a lot) of people who don’t want him anywhere near a ring.  I can see it, even if against my better judgment I personally don’t hate the guy. 

• Love 9

I also liked that Todd Gurley admitted he played like crap yesterday and that is why he was benched. Usually someone who is the star of the team that gets paid a lot would sulk on the bench if they don’t get a lot of touches, but he admitted that his team bailed him out. Talib and Peters are assholes, but most of the team aren’t that bad. I do have to side-eye Gurley’s not so funny Instagram picture of him swapping jerseys with a ref. The Saints fans are pissed enough as it is so that wasn’t necessary. I’m sure he’s getting a fine for that.

New England players to root for....Edelman? Sony Mitchel? I’m drawing a blank on anyone else but the hatred towards Golden Boy and Belicheat overpowers any good will towards the others.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 5
44 minutes ago, twoods said:

New England players to root for....Edelman? Sony Mitchel? I’m drawing a blank on anyone else but the hatred towards Golden Boy and Belicheat overpowers any good will towards the others.

Gronk?  That might be just me, but a guy that acts the way he does, but still brings it and backs it up is worth it.  I don't know if Rob is a first-ballot HOF but IMO he is a HOF'er.  I think he'll need to play another 9 seasons at an average level at best (or maybe just 5 more) and be healthy for the most part to make it in his first year of eligibility.  I don't know whether he'll get there, but I can't say I saw vintage Gronk returning this month either

• Love 1

@icemiser69, Marty’s deceased.  He died a few years ago, tho his son still coaches.

Don’t hate the Rams for that non-call.  I was rooting for the New Orlean’s Buckeyes & Drew, but there’s no guarantee they’d make a TDon that drive, or that The Rams wouldn’t have responded.  And there were MANY errors that they DIDN’T get called on.

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, twoods said:

I root for former Badgers, so I'm always hoping James White does well.  I still do not understand how he was not voted MVP of Super Bowl LI.  

1 hour ago, roamyn said:

@icemiser69, Marty’s deceased.  He died a few years ago, tho his son still coaches.

Don’t hate the Rams for that non-call.  I was rooting for the New Orlean’s Buckeyes & Drew, but there’s no guarantee they’d make a TDon that drive, or that Abrams wouldn’t have responded.  And there were MANY errors that they DIDN’T get called on.

Are you referring to Marty Schottenheimer?  If so, he is still alive but suffering from Alzheimer's, so he's not doing interviews, etc.  His son, Brian, is current OC for the Seahawks.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, ganesh said:

If he has a monster game, I'd say he should retire. 

If the Pats win the Super Bowl, I think Gronk retires. tbh I think had they won last year he probably would’ve retired this past offseason.

Edited by stealinghome

I think Gronk might be forced to retire either way. 

The biggest selling point of this Superbowl is its come full circle back to the Pats first SB match up with BB/Brady, but this time the Pats as the favorites and Rams as the upstart underdogs with the bright young coach. 

And on an unrelated topic, why can't the NFL get headsets that work right?  This seems to be a persistent problem and you'd think they could figure it out in 2019. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/video/jared-goff-sean-mcvay-struggled-past-rams-headset-issues-vs-saints

You could argue the hits and the potential damage to the headsets can cause issues, but the QBs are the ones wearing them and we all know they aren't allowed to be touched anymore. 

Another example of a $10 billion a year business that can't seem to do simple things correctly. 

To be fair, having a signal work reliably attached to a sweaty man in a wide variety of climates undergoing violent physical activity in a place where there are 80,000+ cell phones and dozens of broadcast signals emanating in relatively confined quarters might be a legitimately difficult technical problem.

In addition to the QBs, someone on the defensive side also has a headset.

19 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Are you referring to Marty Schottenheimer?  If so, he is still alive but suffering from Alzheimer's, so he's not doing interviews, etc.  His son, Brian, is current OC for the Seahawks.

Really?!  I got an alert about a year and half ago that he died.  I've been telling people this for awhile, now.  I see his diagnosis went public in 2016, and I wonder if there was an original alert with a correction. 

Edited by roamyn
4 hours ago, roamyn said:

Really?!  I got an alert about a year and half ago that he died.  I've been telling people this for awhile, now.  I see his diagnosis went public in 2016, and I wonder if there was an original alert with a correction. 

It might have been for his last interview. He did a feature with ESPN about the toll the disease had taken and said it would be his final public appearance. He had forgotten almost all of his greatest moments in coaching. It was really sad.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 1

Brady can’t move much but he’s still clutch, and if anything it seems he can read defenses like Neo in the Matrix  like one pundit said.

Though even as a Pats fan I don’t understand why teams can’t figure out you just pressure him and rush him constantly, ala the Broncos.  Otherwise he’s going to nick and slice you to death.

I think unlike in those games, he's really getting rid of it a lot quicker. It's almost like Marino. He couldn't run either, but it's the quick feet that kill you.

The Chiefs didn't get any sacks, but part of that was he wasn't taking 7, 11 step drops either. 

1 hour ago, caracas1914 said:

Brady can’t move much but he’s still clutch, and if anything it seems he can read defenses like Neo in the Matrix  like one pundit said.

Though even as a Pats fan I don’t understand why teams can’t figure out you just pressure him and rush him constantly, ala the Broncos.  Otherwise he’s going to nick and slice you to death.

Joey Bosa was Mic'd up for the divisional game SD vs. NE. After the first drive, a long, methodical TD drive by the Pats, Bosa sits with his fellow lineman and says something like "I won all seven of my pass rush snaps, but Brady already had the ball out by the time I got there. He really is ridiculous."

40 minutes ago, ganesh said:

I think unlike in those games, he's really getting rid of it a lot quicker. It's almost like Marino. He couldn't run either, but it's the quick feet that kill you.

The Chiefs didn't get any sacks, but part of that was he wasn't taking 7, 11 step drops either. 

His small steps preparation in the pocket has actuallly improved the last few years.

I know there are probably many people who suffer from Manning overload but not this girl.  I LOVE that Cooper is showing up on more things around the game.  

Eli’s off until mini camp, I really hope the three of them do something leading up to the SB.

I am also excited to watch the skills comp tomorrow.  More than the Pro Bowl game itself, actually.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, WritinMan said:

That headline is so misleading. Proving balls can go farther with less air does not prove that Brady ordered the balls to be deflated. I also think the parents have raised a really entitled kid since he said if he could say one thing to Tom Brady it would be "give me your money because you don't deserve it."

It's also bad science and not how the scientific method works. 

He also said "I hate Tom Brady". Kid, that's way too intense for a 10 y/o. 

24 minutes ago, scriggle said:

So what did the kid do? Disprove the ideal gas law?

I said the same thing on FB yesterday. 

• Love 9

I was glad when Brees got his ring, but there are times when he comes off as a bit too entitled.  I find it hard to root for Sean Payton.

It's hard to root for the Saints especially since they have the same coach who was suspended for a year for putting a money bounty for his players to intentionally "cripple" rival team players. A real dick move and a true example of unsportsmanship.

So if things didn't go the way the Saints wanted consider the players who had their careers cut short by them at the order of the coach and was that fair to them as well (they were at least owed a personal apology by Sean Payton)

• Love 7
On 1/25/2019 at 2:29 PM, ganesh said:

It's also bad science and not how the scientific method works. 

He also said "I hate Tom Brady". Kid, that's way too intense for a 10 y/o. 

I said the same thing on FB yesterday. 

Sports brings out the worst even in little kids, apparently.

I made the mistake of asking someone I admire greatly why she hates the Patriots.  I will not do that again, because her answer left me more disappointed in her than enlightened.  

• Love 2