Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

9 minutes ago, Archery said:

You know, sometimes a call can go the Pats'  way without there being a universal conspiracy.  

But, more often than not, they get   far more than their share of shady calls going their way.

At least I can save some time skipping the Super Bowl this year.

• Love 13

Thank god I don’t have to work tomorrow because the slobbering over Brady on sports radio would make me call in sick anyways.

One thing I can begrudgingly say is the drive in OT was ALLLLLL on the Chiefs shitass defense.

• Love 10

Ugh to the Patriots going back to yet another Super Bowl. The AFC as a whole has got to do a better job of stopping them. I hope that the Rams beat them. Hopefully, the Rams defense will step up and do enough to help them get the win.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, doodlebug said:

But, more often than not, they get   far more than their share of shady calls going their way.

At least I can save some time skipping the Super Bowl this year.

I'll never be able to find the article I read it in, but a neutral analysis shows that this is simply not true.

• Love 4

Brady burned them on how many third and 10’s in OT? Unbelievable. Need to pop some extra Zantac and tums in two weeks because the Pats are pissed from last year and the Rams are inexperienced. Blah.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 5
1 minute ago, ganesh said:

(Good thing I slipped in the weighted coin at the flip for OT). 

I get the frustration, honestly. But we're never going to see anything like this ever again. It's amazing.

Weighted coin? I wouldn't put it past them.

• Love 7
Just now, Archery said:

I'll never be able to find the article I read it in, but a neutral analysis shows that this is simply not true.

Yeah but the Pats are dirty cheaters so the facts will never stop that narrative.

I wish this SB would be the lowest rated of all time but it’s probably going to be number one as usual with (nearly) everyone watching to hopefully see the Pats lose again.

• Love 3

At this point the Patriots dynasty is running purely out of spite. It solely exists to piss of 95% of football fans. I'm so glad to be on the other 5%.

This reminds me of the Carolina/Patriots Super Bowl. A long stretch of defensive football, and then at the end score after score.

• Love 9

I hope Brady suffers no ill effects from that 4th qtr roughing the passer call. It was *SO* brutal (beg).

Well I have 3 hours to do something, anything other than watch football.  

Edited by hope4all
  • Love 4
8 minutes ago, twoods said:

Brady burned them on how many third and 10’s in OT? Unbelievable. Need to pop some extra Zantac and tums in two weeks because the Pats are pissed from last year and the Rams are inexperienced. Blah.

I am concerned about the Rams being inexperienced, but I hope they win this Super Bowl. Last year it took everything Nick Foles had and then some to beat help defeat the Patriots. I hope that the Rams put up a really good effort and defeat them. Hopefully the Rams defense will step and try and contain Brady as much as they can. 

• Love 3

I don't hate the Pats.  But i didnt realize how much i wanted the chiefs to win until i said a very bad word when the pats scored late in the 4th.  When they won in OT i said a few more.

I just hope the Super Bowl is not a blowout.   Its the last real football for 6 months.

• Love 1

I still think they shouldn't have gone for it on 4th and inches and kicked the FG to go up 20-14. KC would have needed a TD with 30 seconds left. 

I thought they should have gone for it at 4th and short at the 40 instead of punting (or at least tried the draw offsides thing), and agree that they should have kicked instead of going for it at the 20. I thought about how nice an extra 3 points would be at various points in the 4th.

• Love 2

At that point there were barely moving the ball and not scoring. 

Honestly, I didn't think they played well. They played well when it counted in the 4th and OT, but dropped balls, whatever happened on the punt. 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Honestly, I didn't think they played well. They played well when it counted in the 4th and OT, but dropped balls, whatever happened on the punt. 

Perhaps I am becoming a softie in my old age. But I am willing to give both teams loads of slack for being able to even grip and catch that frozen ball time and again, let alone having to land on the rock-hard turf.  That must have been like throwing and catching a cinderblock.  

• Love 1

FCUK FCUK FCUK the damn  New England team!  My computer had a nervous breakdown (in sympathy with me) when I read all these comments.  Mr. Moneybags Kraft must be getting poor paying off all the zebras.  Get Tony Roma some Patriot kneepads 'cuz I feel a slobberfest fortnight coming on.  Dare I hope for a Ram victory?

• Love 8

Yeah, I almost feel like the Pats won that game despite themselves. So many mental errors. Brady’s first INT in the end zone was a meh play call and an inexcusable throw. Julian Edelman is luckiest mofo on the entire PLANET that he didn’t touch that punt—he never should’ve been near it—then he promptly gave the ball back on the tipped INT. Gronk’s tipped INT that was wiped out by the KC defender who lined up in the neutral zone. The playcall on 4th and inches that they didn’t get (Burkhead over the top) was so predictable and also bad (you have the master of the QB sneak here...maybe let him sneak?). The usually-reliable James White came up big at times but also had at least 2 bad drops. #31–I think Johnathan Jones—drooped what could have been a game-sealing INT in the end zone.

The good news is that Belichick has plenty of film fodder for the next 2 weeks. I just hope that if he gets the “bright” idea to bench one of the Pats’ best defenders for the entire Super Bowl, Brian Flores has the sense to lock him in a closet until he comes to his senses.

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Honestly I thought the Pats vastly outplayed the Chiefs, but the game was held close by two INTs (one lucky) and a 4th down stuff. If you count the 4th down stop as a turnover, the Pats were -3 in turnovers and still had them tied by end of regulation. The defense completely bottled up the Chiefs in the first half and the offense moved the ball up the field methodically.

• Love 1

Note to Andy Reid -- get yourself some defense for next season.  Probably a new DC and maybe some better special teamers.  Keep Butker, though, his name sounds like Butkus and I'm from Chicago.  But we would be happy to take him.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Fukui San said:

Honestly I thought the Pats vastly outplayed the Chiefs, but the game was held close by two INTs (one lucky) and a 4th down stuff

Thr key was zero sacks. Look at all the time he had to throw in IT. 

• Love 5

Yep. Where was the pressure and blitzes? They were playing prevent defense but somehow Edelman kept coming up with big plays. At least double him up if you’re not going to pressure Brady. 

Edited by twoods
  • Love 2

That’s why I can’t hate Romo’s commentating. Yeah, he talks a lot, but he’s pretty accurate with the playcalling and will explain why the offense will run plays depending on the defensive formation. He’s very informative, and I like that.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 9
6 minutes ago, twoods said:

That’s why I can’t hate Romo’s commentating. Yeah, he talks a lot, but he’s pretty accurate with the playcalling and will explain why the offense will run plays depending on the defensive formation. He’s very informative, and I like that.

If he'd calm his damn self, he might not be so annoying.  It's nice that he's invigorated by good play, because I want those calling the game to both love it and know their shit, but his starting position is hyperactive, so his excitement winds up being meaningless at best and punchworthy at worst. 

Plus, he's Tony Romo, so, yeah.

• Love 8

What a day.  After all that I have to remind myself that I’m born and bred a Packers fan even tho I’ve lived in LA (NOT L.A.), MN (🤮) and now KC.   I’m like 7 miles as the crow flies from Arrowhead, I can get the fireworks and the flyovers from my porch.  Whoever commented on the flyover earlier cracked me up because I heard them all morning and also knew they were “early” based on the TV coverage of the national anthem vs. the engine over my house. I know when the Chiefs (and Royals) score before it comes on the TV because I can hear the blasts (when we can’t actually be at a game).   I’m pissed because I made chili and corn bread and was too sick with nerves to eat any of it.  I’m happy because Mahomes is a kid and the heart of this team.  I love him!!  My kid loves him!!  My kids had Hosmer hair until 1 month ago.  He finally let the hair girl cut off his rat tail.  I’m praying he is gonna catch on to Mahomes hair and let me give him a home perm (I know Mahomes does not have a perm).  Until then I’m gonna ride out this god awful cold weather and look to the draft.  Oh and maybe winning some money in a prop bet board.  

Edited by geauxaway
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

Motherfucker.  HOW.  Just...fuck. SO SICK OF THEM.

At times like this, I'm consoled by remembering that the two times they played the Giants in the SB, the G-men kicked their sorry butts back to Foxborough.

• Love 9
3 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

At times like this, I'm consoled by remembering that the two times they played the Giants in the SB, the G-men kicked their sorry butts back to Foxborough.

ELISHA!!!   I’m an unabashed Manning family lover with no explanation.  

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Moose135 said:

And the only thing that can console me right now, is that the college Patriots, namely the Alabama Crimson Tide, were laid low by our Clemson Tigers!!

Edited by bmasters9
  • Love 7
8 hours ago, twoods said:

Yep. Where was the pressure and blitzes? They were playing prevent defense but somehow Edelman kept coming up with big plays. At least double him up if you’re not going to pressure Brady. 

God THIS.   Late in the 4th, Pats driving, the Chiefs are actually ahead and they are playing about 5 yards OFF the receivers.   Yeah you don't want them to break a long run off, but you know what, if you are NEXT TO THEM, maybe they don't get the ball and you are better positioned to stop any run.

Although they could be afraid of "make up" DPI calls from earlier that day.    Which made me wonder when I saw some comments on twitter if the refs in the Pats-Chiefs game even knew about the blown call in the Saints-Rams game.    The refs have a lot of stuff they are doing pregame so they might not have been watching it to so it or checking social media.    I don't think that NY would call and tell them to be extra watchful.   

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Archery said:

What the over/under on Jackson having a job tomorrow, though.  The whole overtime excursion was courtesy of his penalties.  

I hear you, but at the same time some of those calls were pretty weak. Chiefs DBs were practically taking piggyback rides up the field on Pats passcatchers all game—Jackson largely wasn’t doing anything the Chiefs DBs weren’t.

That said, Jackson has gotten a lot of hype I am skeptical he deserves, so maybe this stops the hype train for the next two weeks!

• Love 1

Three straight 3rd and 10 in OT, or 3rd downs at least, and they rush 4 with no pressure on Brady. 

Dee Ford, offsides just by lining up wrong, stupid play, to overturn an INT. 

That is why the Chiefs lost.   

That Saints missed pass int call is just inexcusable though. 

There needs to be some form of punishment to the refs for these blatantly bad calls more than an apology from the league or them getting some bad mark on there rating.  NFL :  "Uh, sorry we missed that and you missed a chance at the Superbowl".  This was even worse than SB 40 with all the calls going for the Steelers. 

Also I still don't understand the video reviews.  I know it didn't matter, but how you can look at that replay of Edelman and the muffed punt and say there is INCONTROVERTIBLE evidence he didn't touch it?  The call on the field was a fumble.  If you have to look at it for 10 minutes from 5 different angles to see if he didn't touch it, just let it stand.  Its not incontrovertible.   I mean I THINK he didn't touch it based on the replay, but the call on the field was a fumble.  I don't see how you reverse that.  That was one where whatever call on the field was made stands, you can't tell for sure either way.  If they had called it on the field that he didn't touch it, that would stand as well. 

• Love 7
57 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

It would be nice if the announcers would shut their collective pie holes for five seconds and let the viewers experience the game without their ass kissing.  Sometimes less is more.

Yes!

• Love 2

The Chiefs defense down the stretch was terrible - that prevent defense never prevents anything.  The Chiefs were so far off the defenders, Brady was able to move the Pats right down the field.  Throw it out to the guy in the flat, and get 10-12 yards.  (That's how I thought the Saints should have played in OT.  I couldn't understand all the long passes from the Saints - just get a first down.  Then another one.  Then another one.  Lather, rinse, repeat.)  The Chiefs got zero pressure on Brady.  I think the Rams would play that a bit differently.  I'm sure their game plan for the SB will be to get pressure from multiple spots on the immobile 41 year old quarterback, not rush 4 and play 5 to 7 yards off the receivers.  

I don't know if I will watch the SB.  I don't want the Patriots to win another, but I don't care for the Rams at all.  They are getting in on such a tainted call.  Plus I'd have to listen to Romo.  Thank goodness for the mute button.  I watched long stretches of the game yesterday silently.  Who is doing the national radio broadcast?  Maybe I'll listen to that.  

• Love 3
13 hours ago, mojoween said:

One thing I can begrudgingly say is the drive in OT was ALLLLLL on the Chiefs shitass defense.

But you have to give the Chiefs’ defense credit for making some great plays in the 4th quarter—the 4th down stop and the INT. But Mahomes was off. He felt the pressure. His first half performance was bad, and he made some bad throws in the 4th quarter. 

ETA: I have no one to root for now.* The SB will be just another opportunity to eat wings. 

*Gun to head, I suppose I prefer the Rams over the Patriots.

Edited by topanga
  • Love 3