Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

That's probably why Patrick throws curve balls and can throw with his left hand if needed.  He comes by it genetically as well as having a catch with dad.  And why he is cool as a cucumber under pressure.  Yes, I am slobbering over him -- he looks 12 and acts 35!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, galaxygirl76 said:

I hope Kansas City is ready to deal with 95% of the country counting on them. 

They'd better not let us down-- if those dadgum Patriots run all over them, I think the Chiefs' image will be indelibly ruined!

21 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

I'm sure the Philly fans will be completely reasonable about this.

Seems like most of us are falling all over ourselves to support Alshon. 

We know what he’s already done for us. Despite our mostly undeserved reputation as savages, we’re not.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, basiltherat said:

That's probably why Patrick throws curve balls and can throw with his left hand if needed.  He comes by it genetically as well as having a catch with dad.  And why he is cool as a cucumber under pressure.  Yes, I am slobbering over him -- he looks 12 and acts 35!

I heard on a podcast that he practices those exotic deliveries “for fun” a lot in practice and credits playing as a shortstop growing up for being used to throwing at odd arm angles. 

I finally saw that field goal challenge. A snowy, frozen, artificial surface rug (not actual turf) without cleats?

A lot of pros would have trouble with that.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, katie9918 said:

Seems like most of us are falling all over ourselves to support Alshon. 

We know what he’s already done for us. Despite our mostly undeserved reputation as savages, we’re not.

Right.. I didnt dig too deep into social media but the ones I did see were reasonable.  Disappointed that the season was over but supporting Alshon and the team as a whole for the season. Definitely more reasonable than the Bear Fans after Parkey missed .  it probably helps that they lost to the #1 seed. Alshon not making the catch  wasnt really why they lost. You can expect to win after not scoring after the first quarter. The defense gave the saints too many chances etc.

3 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Santa may disagree. 

Cool that was 50 years ago and it wasnt even they guy they hire d to play Santa it was literally a 19 year that they picked from the stand (and not really about Santa)

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwi0yaeNxe7fAhUrm-AKHe8eDloQzPwBegQIARAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bostonglobe.com%2Fsports%2Fpatriots%2F2018%2F01%2F23%2Fdid-eagles-fans-throw-snowballs-santa-yes-and-deserved%2FqGH15WqxeA622RmSCXA2bO%2Fstory.html&psig=AOvVaw3pM-5LmM9gczdbOthvPId6&ust=1547598846585504

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Santa may disagree. 

That was about fifty years ago. 

I’ve been intermittently looking for assholes on Twitter today and no one’s been sending death threats to Alshon Jeffery like they did to Cody Parkey in Chicago last week.

• Love 3

The Eagles had about half the field still to go and Parkey was the last play of the game so I imagine that’s why there is a disconnect.

Personally I hate Dallas because their owner is a gargoyle, they are in my team’s division because we HAD to keep the old divisions even though Dallas is not in the fucking East so they are a rival and they haven’t had playoff success in twenty years yet with the way the media talk about them you would think they have won half the Super Bowls.  Also fuck Dallas.

• Love 14

Sounds like it's going to be freaking cold at KC this Sunday.  Right now the predicted temp is between -5 and 10 degrees.  No word on expected wind chills.  Another Ice Bowl?  They better hope it doesn't come down to a kicker .  I imagine kicking a football in those temps is like trying to kick a brick. 

• Love 4
52 minutes ago, Calvada said:

Sounds like it's going to be freaking cold at KC this Sunday.  Right now the predicted temp is between -5 and 10 degrees.  No word on expected wind chills.  Another Ice Bowl?  They better hope it doesn't come down to a kicker .  I imagine kicking a football in those temps is like trying to kick a brick. 

Is there snow predicted int he days before because I'm in Iowa and we are getting two days of snow on Friday and Saturday and then freezing cold on Sunday(the high is predicted to be 3F).

Edited by galaxygirl76

I think the cold temps are rolling in post-snow. 

Lots better equipment, clothing, heaters for players and officials (and fans!) now.  A cold weather game is manageable - biggest factor will be wind.  The NFC championship game at Lambeau in January 1997 had a game time temp of 3 degrees, with a wind chill of -16.  A total of 43 points scored, including 5 field goals.  The longest field goal made was 32 yards.  Chris Jacke missed a 46-yard attempt.  I think the punts averaged less than 40 yards.  NFC championship game at Lambeau in January 2008, temp of -1 with wind chill of -23.  Again, 43 points scored, again including 5 field goals made, but the longest this time was 47 yards, which was the game winner.  Punts averaged less than 33 yards. 

Whose face will turn beet red like Coughlin's did?  

• Love 3

Does anyone know anything about Gary Kubiak? He used to be head coach of the Broncos and Texans. He was just hired by the Vikings to be an assistant head coach/offensive advisor. His son Klint was also hired as the quarterbacks coach and Brian Pariani to be the tight ends coach.

• Love 1

When I think of Kubiak, the only thing I remember about him is when he had a mini stroke on the field during a Sunday night game when he was coaching the Texans.  Scary as shit when he collapsed.

• Love 3

If it's clear and dry and just cold, I don't think the game is going to be affected too too much. The ball will be hard, but you can still throw. The upside might be because longer field goals will be more difficult, they might go for it on 4th down more. 

Kubiak stepped down as Broncos head coach due to health. He worked in the Broncos front office since then, and was recently assumed to be in line to become Broncos OC next year. However, there were disagreements as to who his staff would be, and he left to become Vikings OC.

As odd as it seems, he prefers being OC to HC due to the health aspects. He was never inline to be anyone's HC despite winning a Superbowl with Manning as HC.

Thanks for the info about Kubiak. I'm still a little confused by his role because he is not the offensive coordinator; Kevin Stefanski is. Kubiak will be an assistant to the head coach and I guess he's supposed to work with Stefanski on offense. My take is Kubiak will be to offense what Zimmer is to defense, but we'll see.

On 1/14/2019 at 2:27 PM, basiltherat said:

One game he wasn’t, though? Their loss to the Patriots.  I hope he can overcome that. 

It helps that they are still happy about the SB last year. If they lost, they would be crapping all over Alshon. That story of those wonderful children and then Alshon surprising them at school made my whole week. Sometimes my faith in humanity is restored with acts of kindness like this one (on both sides).

• Love 3
5 hours ago, twoods said:

It helps that they are still happy about the SB last year. If they lost, they would be crapping all over Alshon. That story of those wonderful children and then Alshon surprising them at school made my whole week. Sometimes my faith in humanity is restored with acts of kindness like this one (on both sides).

And the homeless guy who helped dig a Chief’s vehicle out of a snow bank.  He didn’t know who the NFL player was, just pitched in and helped.  Now, in addition to 2 VIP tickets to Sunday’s game, the community has raised over $15K to help this guy put.

• Love 9
11 minutes ago, basiltherat said:

Oh, I can muster up PLENTY of hatred for NE -- now and forever.  Off the top of my head, didn't Golden Idol Tom go to Michigan?

It's one of the reasons my tOSU loving husband hates him so much.

Edited by galaxygirl76
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I can't even muster up hatred for the Patriots.  

Wanna borrow some of mine?  I have a full tank at all times; I can spare it.

I'm excited about the Rams/Saints game, because even if the Rams lose I'll be very happy with the NFC representative in the Super Bowl. 

Chiefs/Patriots, I can't say I'm excited - how will the announcers decide to divide their QB tongue bathing isn't exactly my greatest interest - but I am fervently rooting for the Chiefs.  Sure, if the Patriots lost another Super Bowl, that would as always be good for the soul, but I just don't even want them there -- let me simply enjoy the game, rooting full force for the NFC team but not being disgusted if the AFC team wins in a good game.

• Love 10

There's no team I care about playing these games. Which sucks. I guess I'm going to have to pull for the Chiefs. My Patriot and Saints hate is very, very strong. I hate the Patriots the most though. I like Drew Brees well enough but man I can not stand their coach! Sean Payton just come across as a huge ass! 

My dad called and asked if I was hosting them for a Super Bowl party again this year and I said, "you mean an 'Anyone but Patriots' party?"

Hopefully the Panthers can get their shit together in the off season- I'd love a reason to actually watch the Super Bowl in a positive way again! 

• Love 4

If it’s the Saints-Patriots we have to listen to the same crap for two weeks- which HOF QB is going to go out with a SB ring? The amount of slobbering towards those two is going to be painful.

I’m surprised the Rams are still in this. I had to walk away after the second non call for PI/holding because I knew what was coming. McVay really has ice in his veins for that call on fourth down on their own 30. Their defense got to rest for a bit which was huge, along with some much needed points.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 2

A friend suggested we do a shot during the SB each time Jim Nantz mentions the Masters, but we quickly realized that would be suicide.  

Hey - extra time with Joe Buck!  Just what all NFL fans want.  

Rams can thank the officials for this one.  There's lots of calls that can go either way, but that was so egregious.  The NFL should use that play in training videos for players and officials in the future.  

• Love 2

Huh.  I’m a lot more fucking pissed than I thought I was going to be.  Fuck the Rams.  I guess my residual Flipper and St. Louis hate isn’t as gone as I thought it was.

Fucking refs fucking jobbed the Saints.  I hope they’re fucking happy.

• Love 7

What a bummer for the Saints. I wanted them to win, and they should have gotten that PI call towards the end of the game. If the Chiefs win the AFC Championship, I will root for them to win the SB. If the Patriots win the AFC Championship, I will root for the Rams to win the SB. I will not root for the Patriots to win if they advance to the Super Bowl.

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 2

Yeah it was a no call.   But 1) no guarantee the Saints score and 2) if they do that the Rams don't tie it up anyway.    Woulda, coulda, shoulda.    Missed calls are part of the game.    You don't want a bad call screwing you -- score more points so it doesn't matter.   Saints had SIX possessions with no points.   

Now we just need the Chiefs to win today and my midseason prediction comes true.   Go CHIEFS.

• Love 3

YES!!!

That wasn't the game I expected, but I am damn happy right now.  L.A. isn't a big football town, but I heard hooting and hollering from several other nearby homes when the kick was good, so that was fun.

Now, come on Chiefs!

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, xaxat said:

That no call on the fourth quarter pass interference is going to go down as one of the worst calls in NFL history. Fell bad for Saints fans.

Yeah, that was incredibly egregious. I’d be fuming if I was a Saints player. I wonder if the NFL will wait 3 months and then quietly admit that call was BS. Has happened before.

That said, while I was pulling for the Saints: if you can’t hold a 13-point lead at home, you don’t deserve to win. Brees should not have thrown that last pass, and the WR should’ve tried to make a play for it instead of flopping around trying to get a call. Plenty of mistakes to go around.

• Love 5

Congratulations to the Rams.

Make sure you remember to write a check to the refs. 

There are borderline calls, but that was a hit and run. If you can't make that call, leave your stripes at the door.

Edited by hope4all
  • Love 7

I’m going to fume about that egregious non-PI for a good long while, but the Saints play-calling after the two minute warning was atrocious.  You only need a field goal to win, you have Kamara AND Ingram...and you throw it?!

• Love 2
Just now, Bastet said:

YES!!!

That wasn't the game I expected, but I am damn happy right now.  L.A. isn't a big football town, but I heard hooting and hollering from several other nearby homes when the kick was good, so that was fun.

Now, come on Chiefs!

You bet-- if the Chiefs can make it, it'll be a Super Bowl LIII worth seeing and staying up for (no sanity at stake)!

Those dadgum Patriots better not go stomping into Kansas City and treat it like Foxboro!

• Love 2

A flag shaped like the US is stupid because it excludes Alaska and Hawaii.  Just have a normal rectangular one for cod’s sack.

Also maybe the stadium could have had the planes fly over when Melissa was done singing?

• Love 5