Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

That poor kid.

Just something to keep in mind with next week's games - with the exception of Dallas, the more experienced QB won.

I am beyond grateful My Boys are not meeting the Saints next week.    Much as I like Jared Goff, the Rams have been struggling.   Da Boys have a chance.   A small one mind you, but a chance.

Being a high school kicker and the only girl on the team I have won games for my team and also missed them. What I was doing was on a totally different level, but all he can do is come back next year and kick the shit out of that football. 

• Love 6
4 hours ago, 21 Savage said:

Going 0-4 in my picks this week so take these predictions for what it is worth. Chiefs over Colts, Chargers over Patriots, Saints over Eagles, and Rams over Cowboys.

Can you pick the Pats over the Chargers so the Chargers can win? Same with Cowboys? Thanks!

Edited by twoods
  • Love 6
14 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

That poor kid.

Just something to keep in mind with next week's games - with the exception of Dallas, the more experienced QB won.

I am beyond grateful My Boys are not meeting the Saints next week.    Much as I like Jared Goff, the Rams have been struggling.   Da Boys have a chance.   A small one mind you, but a chance.

I definitely think they have a better chance against the Rams than they would the Saints. I think that whoever was facing the Saints was going to get beat soundly. If the Cowboys defense can get after Jared Goff early and quickly, I think they could rattle him (like the Bears did). That would give themselves a better chance at winning that game.

Edited by Jx223

Coming into today, I had the Bears picked to meet the Saints in the NFC championship game.  So I was quite surprised by the way this game went.  And bummed, since obviously as a Giants fan the only time I will root for the Eagles is when they are handing the Patriots yet another Super Bowl loss on behalf of the NFC East.

If the Rams do not beat the goddamned Cowboys next week, you all will hear me howling with rage from wherever you are.  I think that will be a contest, but I think the Saints will beat the shit out of the Eagles.

On the AFC side, I don't begin to care other than wanting the Patriots to lose.  I will be a one-day Chargers fan next weekend.

• Love 8

I thought even Nick Foles looked a little sick for the Bears kicker.

Crazy game.  I was glad they called that play an incomplete pass because once again the refs blew it by racing in with the whistle and signaling incomplete while the ball was rolling around the field.  I would have gone through the roof if Chicago had been deemed to have “recovered” the fumble just because the Eagles believed the refs that the play was dead.

Trubisky is not ready to take his team to that next level.  Another year of play and he might be there.  But there was lots of mediocre play from the QBs this weekend. 

Bastet, you are a better person than I am - I can't think of any circumstance which would cause me to root for the Bears!  Next week, I don't care who wins in Colts/Chiefs or Eagles/Saints., but I would love to see the Cowboys lose by 2 or 3 TDs and I'm hoping Melvin Gordon wins the battle of Badger running backs.  Just like last year when I was rooting for the Eagles because of Corey Clement, and only because James White got his ring the year before. 

Ooh drama.  Someone posted a frame by frame shot that shows the second kick was tipped by an Eagle, and the Eagle confirmed he did hit it.

So now I hope all those assholes on Twitter who threatened the kicker’s life fall into a hole.

• Love 16

Ugh that sucks. I hate social media and all those armchair assholes who are threatening a person for a GAME. Nobody died or got hurt- it’s a freaking game! There are more important things in this world than your team winning a playoff game. Get over it.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 10

I am not a hater, I would never troll Parker or his family, but I have had a horrible feeling in my gut that he would cost the Bears in a playoff game.  I mostly blame management for giving him a contract that they felt  made it so they couldn't afford to cut him earlier this year.  There were so many missed kicks this year and nothing was done to look for a better solution. 

Of course it is not all on him, hell, maybe someone got a fingertip on this one,  this was an ugly game all around.  I’m just not sure that he, the fans, or management foresee his comeback year coming in Chicago next year. 

Sigh  on to next year  

Edited by pennben

I was listening to one guy say “it all came down to Parkey” and Ryan Clark said that Parkey should feel badly for a long time because he cost them the game.

Oh?  Nothing for the defense who allowed Golden Tate to score a minute earlier?  Nothing for the offense who could have gotten closer?  Nothing for the coaches that had curious usage of timeouts when the Eagles were driving?  Nothing about Parkey scoring nine of the 15 points?

There’s a reason there are 11 people on the field at a time.

• Love 22

Another thing I really do want for LIII is for it to be the Chargers against the Rams (IOW, the battle of the City of the Angels): that way, L.A. will be guaranteed a Lombardi no matter who wins (of course, another upshot of this is that my sanity will not be at stake if it becomes that way [granted, if New England should lose in any of the remaining games, I will breathe a sigh of relief]).

• Love 1
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

I was listening to one guy say “it all came down to Parkey” and Ryan Clark said that Parkey should feel badly for a long time because he cost them the game.

Oh?  Nothing for the defense who allowed Golden Tate to score a minute earlier?  Nothing for the offense who could have gotten closer?  Nothing for the coaches that had curious usage of timeouts when the Eagles were driving?  Nothing about Parkey scoring nine of the 15 points?

There’s a reason there are 11 people on the field at a time.

If the team doesn't want it to come down to a shaky kicker to win, then maybe, just maybe score more points during the other 59 minutes and 45 seconds of the game so you don't need a field goal to win.

Yeah it's a game.   Death threats are not called for.   I feel bad for the kid.   

Speaking of kicker, the Cowboys won because Janikowski got hurt.   If the Raiders had a reliable kicker, they wouldn't have had to get touchdowns and could have kicked field goals.   

• Love 5

DOUBLE DOINK !!!!  ARRGGGHHHH!!!!!

Thank you for letting a Bears fan vent.  Our local sports radio shows have been playing sound bites of Parkey's previous doinks all week long and, what do you know, it happened again, as we knew it would  Chicago sports fans are cruel (ask Steve Bartman, our previous goat) and Parkey is just going to have to cry himself to sleep on his pile of nine million guaranteed dollars.

And yet I wonder, did I jinx the Bears, as I sit drinking my morning coffee out of an Eagles Win the Superbowl mug!

7 minutes ago, basiltherat said:

and Parkey is just going to have to cry himself to sleep on his pile of nine million guaranteed dollars.

Wow, I didn't know he got that much $$$.  Wouldn't we all like to fuck up and get paid that much?

I do feel for the Bears fans.  

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Crs97 said:

I thought even Nick Foles looked a little sick for the Bears kicker.

His reaction was compassionately muted. I did see the Eagles' kicker go up to the Bears' kicker when it was over. Maybe there have a support group. 

Well, I'm from AZ, so I'm just glad to be seeing some exciting football! I am rooting for KC and the Chargers, cuz I find their QB's adorable. Or esentially anyone who can beat the pats will be fine. giggle.gif

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

His reaction was compassionately muted. I did see the Eagles' kicker go up to the Bears' kicker when it was over. Maybe there have a support group.

I think every place kicker knows that if he hasn't already missed a potential game winning kick, he will one day.

• Love 7

I give the guy credit for taking all the questions after the game.  I agree with mojoween.  The Bears' "fans" who blame the loss on the kicker should realize the game is 60 minutes.  Did Parkey give up the TD catch to Tate?  Did Parkey rush for only 65 yards?  Did Parkey lead 6 offensive drives that ended in punts?  Did Parkey block the guy who got his hand on that kick?  Football is a team sport, and the entire Bears team & coaching staff have to accept their part of the loss.  If they don't, they have bigger problems than a shaky kicker.  

• Love 9

I think Parkey probably needs to go as he’ll need a change of scenery/new start somewhere else. That kicker for Minnesota that shanked a gimme a few years ago couldn’t get back inform in MN the next year, but bounced back in Seattle. I think I’m remembering that right.  

Parkey was good before he got to Chicago and became horribly unreliable here. I think he missed at least ten kicks in regular season, a surprising number of which were extra points. It affected coaching decisions on going for fourth more and going for two point conversions more, not always successfully.

Of course the loss isn’t all his fault, but his miss did contribute to it and it was talk all week prior to game what would happen if game came down to him based on his year (his misses contributed to a couple of regular season losses (again, not all on him)) that left Bears w/3 seed rather than bye. I think that’s why they took shot to end zone right before his kick to avoid situation.

It is what it is and, without malice (and knowing last night his kick was tipped a bit), he just hasn’t been reliable and you need that in the playoffs. I wish him well wherever he ends up.  I fear I’ll be wishing him well through my fingers when he kicks as he may be still be here next year because of guaranteed money:)

Those are my thoughts along with the thought that the Bears do also, like all teams, have their loudest fans that tend to be ignorant and awful.   

Edited by pennben
  • Love 3

I am totally puzzled by the fact that Kliff Kingsbury is such a hot commodity for head coach. Yes, he is an offensive whiz but his Texas Tech teams never broke .500! I can see him as a good hire for OC, but not running the whole show.

• Love 1

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2019/01/07/reports-packers-name-matt-la-fleur-coach/2495233002/

A big change for the Packers: his name isn't Mike.  Anybody know anything about this guy?  Reports are that this means they keep Pettine (hey, he's named Mike!) as the defensive coordinator.  I'm curious to see who they bring in to coach special teams.  The Packers' STs have been abysmal for years.  In recent seasons when the Pack has a kickoff/punt return and inevitably flags fly, our family says, "Zooked again!" as our special tribute to Ron Zook. 

4 hours ago, xaxat said:

I am totally puzzled by the fact that Kliff Kingsbury is such a hot commodity for head coach. Yes, he is an offensive whiz but his Texas Tech teams never broke .500! I can see him as a good hire for OC, but not running the whole show.

Just so Jets to hire the guy I guess

Arizona fired Bruce Arians last year and he did a year of TV.  Arizona just hired Kliff  Kingsbury.  Tampa Bay just hired...Bruce Arians.

It makes me think that Arizona should have just rehired Bruce and Tampa hire Kingsbury, heh.

• Love 1

Man, is Arizona dumb or what?!  The franchise, not the state (in case I go down when my quote is lifted a decade from now thinking I'm dissing the Grand Canyon State when not really)

Anyway, Arizona is dumb to fire a coach after one year with a rookie QB within a division that includes the LA Rams, a great team, and Seattle, a consistent and very good team.  Then they replace him with a guy that sucked at Texas Tech.  Good luck to the Cardinals because they are going to need it.  BTW, San Francisco was awful due to losing Jimmy G & Sherman while a year or two away

Arians to Tampa actually might help turn that team around.  At least it's an improvement

• Love 2

I just hope Eberflus stays another year in Indy as DC. 

have not heard any serious mentions of him being hired anywhere.  If he keeps coaching like he has this year, its only a matter of time, but would like one more year out of him. 

Wait a minute, I thought Kingsbury was contracted to be the offensive coach at USC? I guess he has enough money in his pockets that he can do what he wants but imo that's bad form to quit less than a month into a new job.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, emma675 said:

Wait a minute, I thought Kingsbury was contracted to be the offensive coach at USC? I guess he has enough money in his pockets that he can do what he wants but imo that's bad form to quit less than a month into a new job.

He was the coach at USC.    He literally resigned like a month after taking the job.   Who would trust this guy again?     Commits to a job then immediately starts interviewing for the next one?    Not even after one season.   I mean two weeks later.    blows my mind anyone bothered with him given this attitude.   His coaching record is not good either.    There are SO MANY HUGE RED FLAGS with this guy.  

But nope, let's hire the young white guy who is this year's "hot" name for some reason.   Instead of looking at minority coaches who don't fit your mold of "offensive minded genius."   Not saying Kingsbury is that by a long shot.   But he looks enough like Sean McVay that teams can fool themselves.    

• Love 5
32 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

He was the coach at USC.    He literally resigned like a month after taking the job.   Who would trust this guy again?     Commits to a job then immediately starts interviewing for the next one?    Not even after one season.   I mean two weeks later.    blows my mind anyone bothered with him given this attitude.   His coaching record is not good either.    There are SO MANY HUGE RED FLAGS with this guy.  

But nope, let's hire the young white guy who is this year's "hot" name for some reason.   Instead of looking at minority coaches who don't fit your mold of "offensive minded genius."   Not saying Kingsbury is that by a long shot.   But he looks enough like Sean McVay that teams can fool themselves.    

Manny Diaz got hired by Temple and two weeks later the Miami job became available and he was all "Peace out Temple" less than 24 hrs after the Miami job became available. Nevermind that he hired coaches who quit their jobs to work for him at Temple or that players he were recruiting signed letters on intent. 

Now to bring it back to the NFL...Go Birds. I will be wearing the same shirt I wore through the playoffs and Superbowl last year and last Sunday. (I know this has nothing to do with it but as it hasn't failed yet I'm not taking a chance ...just in case 😉)

Edited by shoregirl
  • Love 1
28 minutes ago, shoregirl said:

Now to bring it back to the NFL...Go Birds. I will be wearing the same shirt I wore through the playoffs and Superbowl last year and last Sunday. (I know this has nothing to do with it but as it hasn't failed yet I'm not taking a chance ...just in case 😉)

Bite your tongue!  It has EVERYTHING to do with it.

• Love 3

If the Eagles beat the Saints that would be ahmazing. I'm rooting for them cuz I like Foles. Mostly hoping the Chargers take down the Pats. Any way you slice it, this weekend is going to be epic! 

• Love 3

The Browns have promoted Freddie Kitchens to HC.  Apparently Baker was involved in the interview process.  Greg Williams w as let go from the organization, which might be a crappy way of saying “Thank You” for electrifying this team, but I can understand the reasoning.  They felt he might not be comfortable going back as DC working under a guy who was an assistant coach at the beginning of the season.

Thank You Greg for all you did this year.

• Love 3
53 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Adam Gase? To the Jets?  To coach Sam Darnold?  Ooooookay.

Jets are gonna Jets.....

To be fair, once upon a time when the Pats hired Bill I was,  “WTF is up with this retread”, and most Eagles fans weren’t thrilled with Dougie P.

So what do we know.

Edited by bosawks

As a Pats fan I'm happy with the Jets hiring Gase. Dolphins had a bottom 10 offense the last two years by any metric, and only an average offense to begin with in 2016. Top 10 penalty committing team all three years. Sent away multiple talented players in a quest for better team chemistry and discipline. Anything is possible, and maybe he'll turn out fine. Right now it looks like he got the job only because he was the only one who didn't balk at meddling from above. Rhule wanted to bring his assistants with him. And who knows what Mike McCarthy wanted? 

The Jets have not had Coach, GM, and Owner all lined up with common purpose since at least 2010. Every year since then it's been a neverending shotgun marriage of people with different agendas working at cross purposes. This seems no different.

• Love 2

Sucks for Gregg Williams but as mentioned, it was probably a blessing to part ways since the person that got the job was hired from within and was an assistant.  Looks like despite the Steelers turmoil, they might not fall behind the Browns for at least a year.  Barring change in Pittsburgh, it'll happen for sure.  Might not be in 2019 but 2020, as Munchak didn't get the Denver job.

Meanwhile, yet another step toward New England holding onto the AFC East crown for an entire calendar decade.  They might regardless barring something, even had the Jets hired someone else, but I think Adam Gase can make it work in New York.  They'll have a tough schedule though, and be a year or two away

Edited by Carey
Edited since my thoughts posted out of nowhere before I was done