Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

39 minutes ago, mojoween said:

The Saints defense is backsliding and they need to get their shit together.

So is their offense.  

Honestly, all the “hot” teams from early in the season are shaky or fell in the 🔥- Rams, Patriots, Saints, Bengals & Panthers.  The Chargers & Chiefs look vulnerable.  The teams that started out poor, look good now- Texans, Cowboys, Ravens, Browns (event tho the Browns aren’t in it.  The Steelers started strong, stumbled, and now are finishing hot.

3 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

Tough ending for the Steelers. (I actually had thought at first that wasn't a fumble. I thought JuJu was down) Now they are in danger of missing the playoffs. Though I do think that they will beat Cincy and that the Browns might beat the Ravens and help the Steelers get in.

Edited by Jx223

Davis and Chucky can play their games on Mars and be more at home.  Other teams are NOT going to want to be traipsing across the pond EVERY DAMN week and I would hope that the Players' Union would make a great big stink about the stress and lack of rest.  Also, having nine a.m. football games every other week would be murder on the league's INCOME, you know, even more important than the players health and safety!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Jx223 said:

Tough ending for the Steelers. (I actually had thought at first that wasn't a fumble. I thought JuJu was down) Now they are in danger of missing the playoffs. Though I do think that they will beat Cincy and that the Browns might beat the Ravens and help the Steelers get in.

Wouldn't it be something if the Browns won to help the Steelers, but the Steelers lost.  The Browns are probably going to stomp over the Steelers and/or take over the AFC North over the next decade, but that won't happen next week.  Guess you can call it Karma when you need the team you've looked down to over the past 28 years to "help to make the postseason"

Listen, when I die, I'll do so holding onto my stance that you need to try to win big everytime. In other words, win against opponents you should beat and blow them out to where "bad calls" won't matter because your lead is too big to cost you the game.  Examples are that the Steelers needed to beat Oakland and then either the Chargers or Denver (or both).  They should have been blowing out New England and Denver, and even LA since the officiating was awful.  Will they win all the time? No!  But it makes the difference between seeding, a division title, or just getting to the postseason.

• Love 3

So imagine that the Ravens win next week and also the Colts beat out the Titans for the playoffs. And then that the Vikings hold onto the 6th spot in the NFC. All very plausible outcomes.

If all that happens, the 5 teams that beat the Patriots this year would have all missed the playoffs (Jags, Lions, Titans, Dolphins, Steelers). Even if the Jets beat the Pats in Week 17, they aren't making the playoffs either.

Conversely, the Pats would be 5-0 over teams that made the playoffs. (KC, Ind, Hou, Min, Chi)

What a weird season.

TItans Colts Sunday night in one week for a playoff spot, either WC or division title depending on what happens with the Jags/Texans

Colts played poorly today and managed to beat a bad football team in the NY Giants without OBJ. 

After a 1-5 start though, a week 17 game for a playoff spot is a great achievement for the Colts

Steelers lose and may be OUT of the playoffs.  Although Cleveland is not easy game for Baltimore.  The Browns are out of the playoffs, but could finish with an over .500 record with a win, first time in many years. 

Could be no Steelers and no Packers in the playoffs.  That would be a first time I am guessing in a decade or more that both missed it. 

Johnny Unitas Jr and Johnny Unitas III were in Indy for the Colts game, which surprised me given the bad blood that still is present between Baltimore Indy and how much Johnny Unitas never seemed to like the Indy Colts.  They were there to commemorate the 60th anniversary of the Colts-Giants title game back in the 50s. 

Reports are Gordon was suspended due to "multiple" violations of the substance abuse policy, seems it was more than just MJ and alcohol.  Now this is the NFL saying it, so who knows anymore what that means or how true it is. 

ALso Houston lost and now needs a week 17 win just to clinch a division race that appeared to be all but over 3 weeks ago. 

And any team planning to play more than a single game in London a season is crazy. 

And the NFL is stupid for considering it. 

• Love 1

Could be no Steelers and no Packers in the playoffs.  That would be a first time I am guessing in a decade or more that both missed it. 

Gotta be first time since 2006.  Both teams were average that year based off of standings.  Both teams also dealt with injuries to their QBs.  Favre was still playing & still had his streak going.  It was so epic that when Brett got hurt, Aaron came in for a fraction of a second, couldn't stay healthy, and ended up on season-ending IR while Favre's streak continued.

But it has been a long time.  Outside of 2006, it's been about 20 years.  So it's been a rarity since 1991

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, Carey said:

Gotta be first time since 2006.  Both teams were average that year based off of standings.  Both teams also dealt with injuries to their QBs.  Favre was still playing & still had his streak going.  It was so epic that when Brett got hurt, Aaron came in for a fraction of a second, couldn't stay healthy, and ended up on season-ending IR while Favre's streak continued.

But it has been a long time.  Outside of 2006, it's been about 20 years.  So it's been a rarity since 1991

You are correct, first time since 2006 they could both be out of it.  In fact from the 2001 season onward, that is the only year they both missed the playoffs.  That was the year after Steelers won the SB.  Well, "won" ('cough') the SB over the Seahawks in a SB best remembered I think for the refs. 

I think both missed in 1998 and 1999. 

I think that the NFC playoffs are going to be pretty entertaining. I think that the five teams that are now in it are interesting. (Including the Seahawks who got the 1st WC spot with a good win over the Chiefs tonight, I had thought they would play the Chiefs tough in tonight's game. Russ made some really impressive plays, that one throw that was arched like a rainbow was awesome). And the defending Super Bowl champs will be added to the mix, if the Eagles also make it. I think that the matchups with these teams will be good games.

Edited by Jx223

Woo hoo for the Seahawks grabbing a wild-card slot in a great game.  I'm still all in for the Rams - who really, really need to earn a first-round bye - but I like Seattle being one of the other teams in the mix.  If Dallas can be eliminated in the wild-card round as nature intended, and the "in the hunt" stragglers not wind up being an issue, I will be so excited for the NFC in this year's race.  I love the Rams, really like the Seahawks, and like the Saints and Bears.  I either don't care about or actively hate all the AFC contenders, so my NFC preference will be in full force (unless the Cowboys go to the Super Bowl, but I don't think I have to worry about that).  New Orleans is going to be very tough to beat at home, so I think the NFC is theirs to lose.  I'd rather the Rams or Seahawks represent, but I'd be quite happy to root for the Saints in the big game.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Colts played poorly today and managed to beat a bad football team in the NY Giants without OBJ. 

I was having flashbacks to the AFC championship game in 2006 v Patriots.  Colts managed to squeak ahead but left too much time on the clock for their opponent to march down the field and score a FG.  Thankfully the ending was the same too.  And we all got a nice hat from Jimmy.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Bastet said:

Woo hoo for the Seahawks grabbing a wild-card slot in a great game.  I'm still all in for the Rams - who really, really need to earn a first-round bye - but I like Seattle being one of the other teams in the mix.  If Dallas can be eliminated in the wild-card round as nature intended, and the "in the hunt" stragglers not wind up being an issue, I will be so excited for the NFC in this year's race.  I love the Rams, really like the Seahawks, and like the Saints and Bears.  I either don't care about or actively hate all the AFC contenders, so my NFC preference will be in full force (unless the Cowboys go to the Super Bowl, but I don't think I have to worry about that).  New Orleans is going to be very tough to beat at home, so I think the NFC is theirs to lose.  I'd rather the Rams or Seahawks represent, but I'd be quite happy to root for the Saints in the big game.

I would prefer it not be the Seahawks or Cowboys.  Tired of hearing about both of them. 

Seattle will have to go on the road probably the whole way, so that greatly diminishes their chances. 

I can see a Chicago-New Orleans NFC title game

As is usual, in the AFC its pretty much anyone but the Pats, though I don't see them making it this year. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Fukui San said:

I can't imagine how infuriating it would be for fans of other teams if this year's objectively mediocre Patriots team to make the Super Bowl. I'm rooting for it so much.

Same here.  However, I'll totally be okay with Baltimore beating them since the Ravens do to the Pats what the Pats do to AFC South teams (although the Patriots have survived against Baltimore as of late).  It would be a "Not Again!" situation if New England managed to play two homes games only, beat a team from the AFC South and look good doing so, and then escape in the AFC Title game at which point it would be 50/50 in the Super Bowl (vs New Orleans barring an upset).

When SNF concludes, they'll reveal the match-ups and I think the dates and times they'll be played on their respective stations.  Speaking of the Patriots, I'm curious to know if as a 2 seed they'll open on Sunday, 01/13 or they're usual Saturday spot (January 12).  It would be infuriating for fans of other teams if the NFL put a 2 seed Patriots team on Saturday when the so-called norm has been that the top seed gets that Saturday game.  People would say that the NFL rotates who gets an extra day's rest before they admit that the Pats always get the Saturday game.

I will be curious, because if they do rotate then New England should have played on Sunday last year, and not Saturday because they were the 1 seed

17 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Johnny Unitas Jr and Johnny Unitas III were in Indy for the Colts game, which surprised me given the bad blood that still is present between Baltimore Indy and how much Johnny Unitas never seemed to like the Indy Colts. 

I bet Johnny is spinning in his grave. 

• Love 2
12 hours ago, merylinkid said:

What happened to the Chiefs?   They were so dominant.   Then they lost to the Pats and have struggled ever since.      I don't think its that teams figured out Mahomes.   Is it Andy Reid?

I think the Chiefs problem is their defense. It doesn't matter if their offense scores a ton of points if they can't stop anyone.

• Love 3

I’m confused how Oakland got a touchdown when the Bronco let go of the ball in the punt return.  Was the ball not down?  If that’s a live ball, why doesn’t every other team grab the ball from the kicking team when they let the ball go instead of catching it?

Now I fully admit I only saw the highlight on Twitter because I’m watching “A Christmas Story” so if Tess explained it already I apologize.  But I am stumped.

22 hours ago, mojoween said:

I’m confused how Oakland got a touchdown when the Bronco let go of the ball in the punt return.  Was the ball not down?  If that’s a live ball, why doesn’t every other team grab the ball from the kicking team when they let the ball go instead of catching it?

Now I fully admit I only saw the highlight on Twitter because I’m watching “A Christmas Story” so if Tess explained it already I apologize.  But I am stumped.

My husband wondered the same thing.  My thought was the rule was modified over the summer (many were).

No, that's a rule that's been around. It just doesn't happen very often. Sometimes you only learn about rules when something odd happens like Leon Lett trying to recover a blocked kick that he should have left alone.

Often you see four players from the punting team surrounding a ball that's still rolling from the punt, and there's the punt returner hanging around in back just in case. If a kicking team player doesn't down the ball but just swats at it, for example, the returner can pick it up and advance it with no risk. Even if the returner fumbles, because of the rule the return team can opt to get the ball back where it was first touched by the kicking team instead of the result of the return/fumble. It's 100% risk free.

Explanation of the rule on this page.

Rule 6-2-5 states that:  If any K player touches a scrimmage kick first (and before the ball has come to rest), R (receiving team) may take the ball at the spot of first touching, or any spot if there is more than one spot of first touching, or they may choose to have the ball put in play as determined by the action which follows first touching.  The right of the R to take the ball at the spot of first touching by K is cancelled if R touches the kick and thereafter during the down commits a foul or if the penalty has been accepted for any foul committed during the down.

So, the scenario might be that the punted ball lands on the ground, takes a hard bounce off of a kicking team coverage man, and then your punt returner picks it up before it has come to a rest.  That returner can run the football back.  It is NOT dead upon first touching. The ball is still live.  Since it says that the receiving team can “put the ball in play as determined by the action which follows first touching,” this means you can choose to take the results of the return your returner got OR take the ball at the spot of first touching.

Notice that the choice is cancelled if there is a penalty on the return.  This is a GREAT rule to know and to teach your kids because there is NO harm, NO risk for you to pick up the ball and run!   If your returner fumbles the ball on his run back, you can STILL maintain possession by choosing to take the “first touching.”

Why is this the case? I have no idea. But it's in there and has been for a while.

According to people like Ian Rapoport on Twitter the Packers have already interviewed Jim Caldwell and Chuck Pagano for their Head Coaching position.

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Jx223 said:

According to people like Ian Rapoport on Twitter the Packers have already interviewed Jim Caldwell and Chuck Pagano for their Head Coaching position.

That is just.....pathetic. 

As a Colts fans and a someone who wishes the best for Aaron Rodgers, who I genuinely like just as an NFL fan, DO NOT hire even either one of them.  There are much better options available. 

Pagano is not head coaching material.  As a coordinator, I think he is effective.  But his leadership and head coaching abilities are poor

Caldwell is conservative, not innovative, adds nothing........just a completely blah and bland coach. 

Hopefully that is just their starting point. 

4 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

That is just.....pathetic. 

As a Colts fans and a someone who wishes the best for Aaron Rodgers, who I genuinely like just as an NFL fan, DO NOT hire even either one of them.  There are much better options available. 

Pagano is not head coaching material.  As a coordinator, I think he is effective.  But his leadership and head coaching abilities are poor

Caldwell is conservative, not innovative, adds nothing........just a completely blah and bland coach. 

Hopefully that is just their starting point. 

Maybe they'll interview Josh McDaniels too.

1 hour ago, Jx223 said:

Chuck Pagano?!! The fan base will riot if he gets hired. How many years did he suck in Indianapolis before the owner finally pulled the plug?

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Fukui San said:

Maybe they'll interview Josh McDaniels too.

Not sure if you are joking, but the rumors for the last month have been McDaniels to GB. 

I am glad McDaniels turned down the Colts.  Pissed me off at the time, but him Turning down the Colts was best thing for them.  Ended up with a better choice.   

1 hour ago, BitterApple said:

Chuck Pagano?!! The fan base will riot if he gets hired. How many years did he suck in Indianapolis before the owner finally pulled the plug?

Right??? You would think the recent success of guys like McVay, Nagy, and Lynn would show the rest of the NFL that there is another option than the constant retread cycle. Who is next up to be interviewed, the painfully mediocre for oh so many years Jeff Fisher?

• Love 4

IMO, McDaniels to Green Bay would be a nice thing.  Josh vs Matt Patricia twice a year sounds nicer than it actually might be but I'm okay with that.  Imagine working with the top two QB's within the most current era.  That has to be a blessing.  Plus, if McDaniels says no thanks last minute, they can actually have Joe Philbin be the guy (Aaron wants Joe to be the HC despite knowing whether he was serious)

I agree with Caldwell & Pagano.  Those two were top notch coordinators.  Head coaching is not for everybody, but people can prosper not having to worry about both parts of football (offense and defense).  Still think Caldwell got unlucky in Detroit but thinking about it twice if he couldn't take advantage of situations where Detroit could finally win a division, then that's on him

9 hours ago, Kip Hackman said:

Rooney Rule interview.

Right now, there are seven POC head coaches  in the NFL. Three of them (Wilks, Bowles, Joseph) are probably going to get fired. (And who know what's going to happen with Marvin Lewis.)

I understand the case for firing most of them on an individual case (except for Wilks, he got one year?), but I suspect the overall net result will make me very unhappy. 

• Love 1

Wilks would be a head scratcher if they fired him. It’s nice to see one of the minority coaches, Anthony Lynn, doing well. I have liked Lynn since he was a coordinator for the Bills so very happy that he turned things around for the Chargers. I used to dislike them but now I can’t help rooting for them, and much of that is because of the attitude Lynn has that seems to have rubbed off on their team. I’m hoping they are more than one and done in the playoffs.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 1

A once-proud franchise, the Redskins are showing signs of foundational cracks

The decisions Snyder makes in three key areas will determine the future stability and relevance of the Redskins — a $3.1 billion business that’s showing troubling foundational cracks. In the past year alone, attendance is down 19 percent at FedEx Field and game-day revenue, by conservative calculations, has plunged $18 million.

I feel bad for Washington fans, but so much schadenfreude. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

• Love 5

Marcus Mariota is not expected to play against the Colts tonight due to his injury. Blaine Gabbert will start. I had already thought that the Colts would win this game, but I think that this helps their chances even more. 

Edited by Jx223

Jesus Christ, we see more of Jerry Jones each week than all other owners combined.  STOP IT.

Had this game ended in a Giants victory, I would be talking about how enjoyable it was for a meaningless game -- the G-Men woke up and played them hard; they couldn't get anywhere near the playoffs, they couldn't keep the Cowboys out of it, but this is still Dallas, so you close out a crappy year by doing your damndest to beat that loathsome team. 

But they didn't do it, so fuck it, and I'm moving onto the Rams game.

• Love 4
On ‎12‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 10:32 PM, xaxat said:

Right now, there are seven POC head coaches  in the NFL. Three of them (Wilks, Bowles, Joseph) are probably going to get fired. (And who know what's going to happen with Marvin Lewis.)

I understand the case for firing most of them on an individual case (except for Wilks, he got one year?), but I suspect the overall net result will make me very unhappy. 

Why would it make you unhappy?  Aren't we supposed to judge people on their excellence and not their color?

I loathe the Steelers and the Seahawks.  Both of the QB's get more credit than they deserve and they both are like Freddy.  They never seem to die.   Looks like one might be gone, but the other lives on to create more horror in the playoffs.

2 hours ago, Bastet said:

Jesus Christ, we see more of Jerry Jones each week than all other owners combined.  STOP IT.

Seriously. When he kept trying to weasel into the middle of the coin toss at the Cotton Bowl last night I was like, "Jesus effing Christ, can this guy just go sit down somewhere?".

• Love 8

Welcome back to the playoffs Nick Foles.  Hope your chest is ok.

Naturally the goddamn Patriots get a first round bye.  What are the chances we can rely on Andy Reid making the most of his advantage for once?

The Titans season rests in the arm of Blaine Gabbert.  

They lost but I am proud overall of the way the Browns have played this year.. (The Ravens running all over them in the 1st half, really hurt them, plus the blown dead fumble return for a TD hurt as well.) The end of this Browns/Ravens game was exciting. They have been consistently competitive and are a much more improved team than they were last year. Baker has a done a really nice job for them this year and congrats on him passing the all time touchdown list for rookies. He has helped make teams exciting for Cleveland again. I hope they continue to grow as a team and come back strong next year. 

Also good for the Eagles for making it back. I think that with them getting that last spot in the NFC, we have a good group of interesting and entertaining teams in that conference. 

• Love 5
30 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Naturally the goddamn Patriots get a first round bye.  What are the chances we can rely on Andy Reid making the most of his advantage for once?

He will find a way to mess this up. He always does. BTW, I'm not surprised at all that the Patriots got the 2 seed & a week off. 

It sucks the Browns lost today. But, The Browns had a successful season considering the past couple of seasons. Hopefully, they can somehow keep this going. They better not let that loser Mike McCarthy (former Packers coach) come anywhere near them.

Edited by Magog
  • Love 3