Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

ESPN - Josh Gordon stepping down from the Patriots.

Josh Gibson is done for the Patriots this season & a suspension is looming for him.

The Halftime Show for Super Bowl 53 is really going to suck because of those losers from Maroon 5 (basically Adam Levine) performing. Now, its going to suck even more than it currently does because rapper Travis Scott will be performing with them

Edited by Magog
2 hours ago, Magog said:

ESPN - Josh Gordon stepping down from the Patriots.

Josh Gibson is done for the Patriots this season & a suspension is looming for him.

The Halftime Show for Super Bowl 53 is really going to suck because of those losers from Maroon 5 (basically Adam Levine) performing. Now, its going to suck even more than it currently does because rapper Travis Scott will be performing with them

Does Josh Gordon have chronic pain or anxiety, and marijuana is the only thing that helps? (If the substance in question is marijuana, that is). Or does he have a substance abuse problem that he hasn’t sought treatment for? Otherwise, why would he be throwing away his NFL career?

And I agree that all of the ‘safe’ music choices for the halftime show make it quite boring. 

18 minutes ago, topanga said:

Does Josh Gordon have chronic pain or anxiety, and marijuana is the only thing that helps? (If the substance in question is marijuana, that is). Or does he have a substance abuse problem that he hasn’t sought treatment for? 

Yes. (Except for the not seeking treatment part. He has sought treatment, more than once. It doesn't always take.)

• Love 1

That's unfortunate. I had hoped he was on solid footing with his recovery.

This is a guy who was talented enough to lead the league in receiving yards with Jason Campbell and Brandon Weeden as his QBs.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 3

I like Maroon 5.

Fans be crazy.  So Cam is shut down this week, but if Carolina has a chance to play in the playoffs, Cam will play next week against New Orleans as they will presumably be resting everyone.  And fantasy owners are apoplectic about it because the finals are this week.

And I don’t know what they are bitching about, how valuable can Cam possibly be as a starter right now?

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I like Maroon 5.

I liked Maroon 5 before Adam acted like a dick on The Voice and threw one of his contestants under the bus.  I won't hold it against the rest of the band though, so I hope the half time show is a success. 

3 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I liked Maroon 5 before Adam acted like a dick on The Voice and threw one of his contestants under the bus.  I won't hold it against the rest of the band though, so I hope the half time show is a success. 

I like Maroon 5, too, and could care less abt Adam’s antics.   It’s abt the music.  Do those that like Tupac or Biggie like them less because of their (much worse) antics? 

Josh has wasted every opportunity to get help from the Browns & Patriots.  Now his statement is more abt covering his butt, because any treatments he gets right now won’t take until he learns to take responsibility and admit his issue.  Mental health may be an underlying cause, but he doesn’t even admit in his statement that he (apparently) reneged on his reinstatement agreement.   Maybe football isn’t the right path for him, period, regardless of his endless talent.

• Love 3

There's always Jon Gruden.

Stephen A Smith said some stupid shit about Gordon. (I know, you're shocked.)

Lewis Riddick (who I think is one of the smartest people in sports) was having none of it.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 5

People who don’t understand addiction and mental illness should not offer ridiculous uninformed opinions about it.  

Sports Illustrated posted a list of their best photos of the year and one of the captions is “Eagles tight end Trey Burton throws a touchdown pass to QB Nick Foles during Super Bowl LII” which is just an absurd sentence.

In tangentially related Patriots news, the NFL network re-air of Pats/Steelers pulled 928,000 viewers.  The live NBA game featuring the Rockets and Heat on the same night had 1.1 million.

The NFL is dead, huh.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, mojoween said:

People who don’t understand addiction and mental illness should not offer ridiculous uninformed opinions about it.  

I do hope you’re not referring to my comments, because I have been an addict.  Luckily I sought help before I really went down that path too far.  But I do know the steps a person has to take to fight.  Mental illness (if any) compounds issues, but doesn’t make it less wrong that you have to acknowledge and surrender to the fact you have the problem.  And I admit that I’m a harsher critic, and I shouldn’t be, but I can’t help how I feel. 

DirecTvNow pisses me off.  Sometimes it shows football, sometimes not.  Chiefs/Seahawks won’t be on the schedule tomorrow.  Grrrr....

• Love 2
On 12/20/2018 at 10:45 PM, roamyn said:

I like Maroon 5, too, and could care less abt Adam’s antics.   It’s abt the music.

Well, even though I said I didn't like Adam, I did say I wouldn't hold it against the rest of the band.  

• Love 1

@roamyn I don’t want to speak for @mojoween but I think it was in regard to Stephen Smith’s comments. He is always blabbering about things he knows nothing about. I’m glad you got the help you needed.

What a shame for Gordon. So much talent, yet always getting in trouble. There goes a promising career.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 1

That was an excellent drive that the Redskins executed in the 2nd half of this Titans/Redskins game. 17 plays that at one point included them at their own 1. Very impressive and clock eating, ( almost 11 minutes).

30 minutes ago, twoods said:

@roamyn I don’t want to speak for @mojoween but I think it was in regard to Stephen Smith’s comments. He is always blabbering about things he knows nothing about. I’m glad you got the help you needed.

What a shame for Gordon. So much talent, yet always getting in trouble. There goes a promising career.

Yes, I watch First Take each evening and I felt somewhere between Stephen A & Max.  One was too harsh, the other too sympathetic.

Oh my yes @roamyn I was referring to Stephen.  I would never criticize a fellow poster that way!  Stephen just sounded a fool to me.  I hope that you are doing well and find every day a triumph.

Blaine Gabbert and Josh Johnson were Colin Kaepernick’s backups in 2014.  What about it NFL?

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 4

Tough loss for the Redskins. They did play well most of the game, (especially Adrian Peterson and Josh Johnson) but that interception towards the end did them in. With that loss their playoffs hopes have been diminished even more. Miami's playoff hopes have also been diminished more and the Cleveland Browns have been officially eliminated from playoff contention. 

You don't "play well" by throwing a goddamn interception.  I don't know who the Redskins will have for quarterback next year, but Little Danny could redeem himself a little by signing Kaepernick.

13 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

You don't "play well" by throwing a goddamn interception.  I don't know who the Redskins will have for quarterback next year, but Little Danny could redeem himself a little by signing Kaepernick.

I thought that Josh honestly did for most of the game. He was composed throughout most of the game and led them on good, long clock eating drives. The interception at the end was a crusher but it happens even to the best of them. It's a wonder the Redskins has been holding around as long as they have been, given all of their injuries.

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Ohwell said:

Dan "the only way this team changes it's name is over my dead body" Snyder would rather finish last in division every year than sign Kaepernick.

• Love 8

Good win for the Ravens. Their defense did a really nice job tonight. I wonder who will get the last seed in the AFC, among them the Colts, and the Titans. The Titans are my least favorite choice for the playoffs of these three teams. I think that if they made it to the playoffs they would be the least interesting team in them.

Also with the Chargers losing tonight, if KC wins tomorrow they will clinch the division and get a first round bye. I think that the Chiefs matchup against Seattle will be interesting. I actually could see Seattle playing KC tough tomorrow.

Edited by Jx223

That Ravens defense is ridiculous. Punching the ball out right as Gates was going to the ground was a crazy defensive play. Kudos to them.

Rams currently play in the Coliseum in LA but will play in Inglewood (still in LA county) next year. I feel bad for the Chargers because Stub Hub is always half full of the opposing fans. Since it only seats around 35k fans it must be a fun atmosphere.

8 hours ago, twoods said:

That Ravens defense is ridiculous. Punching the ball out right as Gates was going to the ground was a crazy defensive play. Kudos to them.

Rams currently play in the Coliseum in LA but will play in Inglewood (still in LA county) next year. I feel bad for the Chargers because Stub Hub is always half full of the opposing fans. Since it only seats around 35k fans it must be a fun atmosphere.

I thought for sure that was going to get called back just because.    Thankfully it stood.   AMAZING play.

If the Chargers had PLANNED their move instead of throwing a temper tantrum and moving in a huff, they might have been able to play in a real stadium.  No sympathy for them at all.   That field looked HORRENDOUS too.

Man, my Boys play at 1.   If they win, they get the division.   They have to lose both this week and next to not get it.   I do not want it riding on next week's game against the Eagles.   Then the night game with KC v. Seattle.   I hope Mahomes keeps performing his magic.

Just because the Giants were eliminated from the playoffs doesn’t mean I don’t still want to watch them.

But nooooooo.  Because the stupid Bills are contracted to the local CBS station I have to watch them instead because CBS has the Giants game. Can’t even watch the Giants game on the NFL app, which is the most useless app I have on my phone.

• Love 2

Wow - Vikings scored another touchdown with 2 seconds left in the half. It's another Minneapolis miracle except it took place in Detroit. 

Yay for Cleveland - leading Cincinnati 16-0. Does Cleveland have a chance to make the playoffs?

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Lamb18 said:

Wow - Vikings scored another touchdown with 2 seconds left in the half. It's another Minneapolis miracle except it took place in Detroit. 

Yay for Cleveland - leading Cincinnati 16-0. Does Cleveland have a chance to make the playoffs?

The Browns were eliminated last night, but, as a fan, I am thrilled that it looks like better days are ahead.

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, Lamb18 said:

Not anymore. They had a small chance going into yesterday. But it depended on several teams losing one or two games, and then the Colts/Titans tying in Week 17. Once the Redskins lost to the Titans last night, Cleveland was officially eliminated from the playoffs. Even though no one expected them to make them when the season began I still think it's a bit disappointing. Because they have done a nice job this year, and have been competitive in almost all of their games.

Had they had a better kicker earlier on, and/or not had a bad call in the Raiders game, they very well could have been going to the playoffs. But I am glad to see the improvement they have made and I hope they make them next year. 

Edited by Jx223
6 hours ago, merylinkid said:

If the Chargers had PLANNED their move instead of throwing a temper tantrum and moving in a huff, they might have been able to play in a real stadium.  No sympathy for them at all. 

They were freakin' geniuses compared to Mark Davis. Raiders reportedly discussing wild option to play all 2019 home games in London

I'm sure that's going to over great with the players' union.

Although London will be one option on the table for next season, the team also has plenty of other options, including San Diego, Reno, Phoenix, St. Louis, Portland and Seattle. 

Edited by xaxat
7 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

You know that expression "Dumber than he looks"? Mark Davis is exactly as dumb as he looks.

His hair is awful. Does he use Trump's barber?

And Houstons are in the lead!! 30-29.

Good win for the Eagles, helping keep their playoff hopes alive. Nick Foles played well. They also did a nice job of converting on 4th downs and coming up with some big defensive stops in the 2nd half.  This game was a missed opportunity for Houston to win their division, and still be in the running for the AFC's #1 overall seed. (But I give Deshaun Watson a lot of credit for trying to win it for them at the end. He made some very impressive plays.) I do think Houston will win their division next week.

Also, I am glad that the Cowboys won their division today. And I'm glad that the Browns won against Cincy. Baker had another good game. I think Cleveland is definitely the most improved team from last season. I hope they continue to grow and play well in the future.

Edited by Jx223

I really like DeShaun Watson a lot and wish Houston could have played someone else today.

Also Houston winning was needed to keep New England from the two slot.

EVERYTHING IS GOING WRONG TODAY

Except that I am glad Philly won.  I am very conflicted.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 1
19 minutes ago, Lamb18 said:

Rats! Philadelphia won. At least Vikings won, too.

Good thing for the Vikings that they won their game today. If they beat the Bears next week, they are in the playoffs, even if Philly wins. (They would have a 9-6-1 record vs. Philly having a 9-7 record). Granted, I think that the Bears could be a tough game for them, but they still have a chance.

Edited by Jx223
2 hours ago, xaxat said:

They were freakin' geniuses compared to Mark Davis. Raiders reportedly discussing wild option to play all 2019 home games in London

I'm sure that's going to over great with the players' union.

He's throwing wild options out there because the City of Oakland sued them over their planned move to Vegas.  He did have an orderly transition plan.   Then Oakland sued putting their ability to play in Oakland in 2019 in jeopardy.    So he's putting everything out there to get Oakland to back down.    It makes sense in a way.   Come 2020, the Raiders will be in Vegas.

And because I have to say it "The Boys are back in town, the Boys are back in town."

5 hours ago, Jx223 said:

Good thing for the Vikings that they won their game today. If they beat the Bears next week, they are in the playoffs, even if Philly wins. (They would have a 9-6-1 record vs. Philly having a 9-7 record). Granted, I think that the Bears could be a tough game for them, but they still have a chance.

Philadelphia plays Washington next week. Well I guess I know who I'm cheering for even though I was cheering for Chargers over Washington yesterday.

Vikings can beat Chicago but they really have to play their best the entire game. No messing around in the first half until the 2 minute warning. It's possible Chicago will go with a B team since they are already in the play-offs and will likely play in the first playoff round. 

Edited by Lamb18
20 hours ago, xaxat said:

Dan "the only way this team changes it's name is over my dead body" Snyder would rather finish last in division every year than sign Kaepernick.

Although I can't stand Little Danny for a number of reasons, I don't remember Jack Kent Cooke catching flack over the Redskins' name like Snyder has. 

21 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

He did have an orderly transition plan. 

He may have had a plan, but he didn't have a lease.

It's really not good when your kicker is so shaky you hold your breathe when attempts reasonable field goals in a domed stadium.

5 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

I don't remember Jack Kent Cooke catching flack over the Redskins' name like Snyder has. 

Times change. When I grew up in Illinois, the nickname for Pekin high school was the "C*****".

• Love 2