Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, basiltherat said:

Who started the Tomahawk Chop  in pro sports?  I remember decades ago when Hanoi  Jane did it with her yachtsman husband, Ted Turner, for the Atlanta Braves baseball team.  Also, I remember Chief Knock-a-homa!

I have no idea. 

I know Florida State did it, first I ever heard of it I think

Not sure in the pros. 

Now Chief Wahoo for the Indians......I know that got rid of it, but far too late.  That one I can't defend. 

Its like someone was TRYING to be racist with that one.  Not in any way subtle or realistic. 

That Bronco/Browns game was a nailbiter. I am glad that the Browns got the win and are still in playoff contention. They were shaky in the first half especially Baker, but I am glad they grinded out the win.  The defense came through at the very end with the sack on Case Keenum. 

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 1

Who started the Tomahawk Chop  in pro sports?  I remember decades ago when Hanoi  Jane did it with her yachtsman husband, Ted Turner, for the Atlanta Braves baseball team.  Also, I remember Chief Knock-a-homa!

I have no idea. 

I know Florida State did it, first I ever heard of it I think

Not sure in the pros. 

It was the Atlanta Braves that started the Tomahawk Chop. That was started during their 1991 miracle season (they were in last place, the season before) when they went to the World Series & (sadly) lost to the Twins. 

That Bronco/Browns game was a nailbiter. I am glad that the Browns got the win and are still in playoff contention. They almost lost it, but the defense came through at the very end with the sack on Case Keenum.

They somehow didn't blow it tonight, though one of their dumb coaches was trying to by calling that timeout on 4th Down on their last possession. 

8 minutes ago, Magog said:

It was the Atlanta Braves that started the Tomahawk Chop. That was started during their 1991 miracle season (they were in last place, the season before) when they went to the World Series & (sadly) lost to the Twins. 

They somehow didn't blow it tonight, though one of their dumb coaches was trying to by calling that timeout on 4th Down on their last possession. 

Yeah, HC Greg Williams made a mistake calling for the timeout when the Broncos were offside. But thankfully everything ended up being okay. 

1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Now Chief Wahoo for the Indians......I know that got rid of it, but far too late.  That one I can't defend. 

Its like someone was TRYING to be racist with that one.  Not in any way subtle or realistic. 

This is football, but unless you’re an Indians fan, AND a Native American, I don’t count anyone’s opinion.  Next you’ll want to ban a John Adams and his bass drum.  For the record, hubby IS 1/2 Native American and his family knows the protests were by non-native Do-Gooders/muckrakers because they kept being bothered by these same (non Native) jerks to join their protests for FREE TICKETS TO GAMES, GIFT CERTIFICATES ETC.  (I do think the original mascot was racist - Chief Wahoo is a happy go-lucky guy)  LONG LIVE CHIEF WAHOO!  

My Brownies won, my Brownies won!  It makes it sweeter that we knocked Denver out of the playoff picture.  God, football is fun again!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, roamyn said:

This is football, but unless you’re an Indians fan, AND a Native American, I don’t count anyone’s opinion.  Next you’ll want to ban a John Adams and his bass drum.  For the record, hubby IS 1/2 Native American and his family knows the protests were by non-native Do-Gooders/muckrakers because they kept being bothered by these same (non Native) jerks to join their protests for FREE TICKETS TO GAMES, GIFT CERTIFICATES ETC.  (I do think the original mascot was racist - Chief Wahoo is a happy go-lucky guy)  LONG LIVE CHIEF WAHOO!  

giphy.gif

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Magog said:

I’m almost positive that Florida State originated the Tomahawk Chop well before it spread to Atlanta.  The Braves gave it more national attention during their glory days in the 90’s, but it didn’t start with them.  And, as an Indians’ fan who attended Game 1 in Atlanta in ‘95, let me say it is darned annoying.

As for my Brownies, it’s so great to have fun watching them again. To actually anticipate their games and look forward to seeing them play is such a gift, we’ve been waiting so long.

32 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Is there a bowl game at Giants Stadium this week or is it just that it takes too long to change the end zone?  Last night and today the Jets and Giants just get lines with no logo.

The last time it happened it was a combination of quick turnaround time and bad weather. I assume that's the case this weekend.

45 minutes ago, xaxat said:

The last time it happened it was a combination of quick turnaround time and bad weather. I assume that's the case this weekend.

Thanks for the info!  I cannot imagine sitting in that crap for three hours+.  

I don’t normally get to hear Giants games on CBS; I am loving this crew of Greg Gumbel, Trent Green and Bruce Arians.  I wish they could do every Giants game.

The AFC South is putting a beatdown on the NFC East and I for one am 50% almost super stoked about it!

(I cannot stand Andrew Luck so would really prefer it were the Jags or Texans spanking the wretched Cowboys)

Also Eli stop turning the ball over and can you score some points please?

• Love 1

Ugly loss the Cowboys. I had thought that the Colts might win this game, but was hoping Dallas would do better than being shutout. They didn't play well on either side of the ball today. The offense didn't do anything (In the first half they did control the time of possession, but didn't score) And the defense kept letting the Colts move the ball up and down the field.  Zeke was the best player for them today, at least he was trying to be effective. The rest of the Cowboys did not look good. 

Also, with today's win against the Packers the Bears have clinched their division and a spot in the playoffs. Good for them. 

Edited by Jx223
21 minutes ago, Jx223 said:

Also, with today's win against the Packers the Bears have clinched their division and a spot in the playoffs. Good for them. 

I was debating whether to cheer for Bears or Packers today and ended up wanting Bears to win because:

• Then the Packers would lose!!!
  • While Vikings had little chance to win the division, a Packer loss and Vikings win gives Vikings a better chance for a wild card spot.
16 hours ago, roamyn said:

My Brownies won, my Brownies won!  It makes it sweeter that we knocked Denver out of the playoff picture.  God, football is fun again!

I generally don't want to ban anything in terms of mascots or names. 

And I am not an Indians fan or native American.  Don't really care what Cleveland does. 

Just stating out of all the native American mascots and names, that one would be at the top of the list if you were going to pick one to change.  Which they did.

But even that one I never felt strongly enough to protest or boycott.  Or to stop saying the team name, like some commentators and writers do with the redskins.  More of just making the statement, "What were they thinking?"  I guess "happy go lucky was the goal, maybe. 

Glad the Browns won though.  I hope somehow they win that division. 

And few things are better than a Cowboys beatdown

But it helps when its a Cowboys beatdown by your favorite team

And the same week that Skip Bayless the big dallas homer made the statement on his show how Dak Prescott is better than Luck in every possible way. 

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2018/12/14/fs-1-host-skip-bayless-id-take-dallas-cowboys-dak-prescott-over-indianapolis-colts-andrew-luck/2310070002/

Dak Prescott sucked today.  Ezekiel Elliot was the only offense for the Cowboys. 

The Cowboys should never ever control their own destiny.   EVERY SINGLE fucking time they do, they fall apart.   When they have to work hard to get into the playoffs, they do well.   When it is just go on cruise control and NOT lose, they LOSE.   

I love my Boys, but sometimes they make it very hard.

Go Bears! 

Btw, loved the contrast between the two QBs walking to the locker rooms before the game, Rogers in his snazzy suit and Trubiskey in his light-up tacky Bears sweater, which he wore throughout his post-game interview with the lights flashing.

• Love 3

I was actually rooting for the Patriots to beat the Steelers today, because that helped keep the Browns playoffs hopes alive. But with them losing to the Steelers, along with the Colts and Titans also winning the Browns are all but eliminated. ( I think there might be some weird scenario where they could still make it but a lot of stuff would have to happen including possibly the Colts and Titans tying on their last game.) I had a feeling this was going to happen.

Granted it was a long shot of the Browns making the playoffs this year but I am glad to see how improved they are this year. They can still win out and have a solid season.

The Patriots look like they are in a bit of trouble. I think they may not make it far in the playoffs if they have to go on the road. 

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, mojoween said:

Is there a bowl game at Giants Stadium this week or is it just that it takes too long to change the end zone?  Last night and today the Jets and Giants just get lines with no logo.

They announced earlier in the week that there wouldn't be enough time to swap it out between games.  As it was, they had to add staff to swap out other stuff in the stadium from Jets to Giants.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Moose135 said:

They announced earlier in the week that there wouldn't be enough time to swap it out between games.  As it was, they had to add staff to swap out other stuff in the stadium from Jets to Giants.

They need to cover the end zones in the reverisible sequin fabric that my 7 year old daughter loves on pillows, shirts, and stuffed animals.

tumblr_ouwgwcbEke1w6skpso1_r1_1280.gif?w

• Love 12
4 hours ago, Jx223 said:

I was actually rooting for the Patriots to beat the Steelers today, because that helped keep the Browns playoffs hopes alive. But with them losing to the Steelers, along with the Colts and Titans also winning the Browns are all but eliminated. ( I think there might be some weird scenario where they could still make it but a lot of stuff would have to happen including possibly the Colts and Titans tying on their last game.) I had a feeling this was going to happen.

Granted it was a long shot of the Browns making the playoffs this year but I am glad to see how improved they are this year. They can still win out and have a solid season.

The Patriots look like they are in a bit of trouble. I think they may not make it far in the playoffs if they have to go on the road. 

The fact that we’re even discussing  Browns and Playoffs in mid-December is a miracle, and I’m ecstatic w/this season as it is now.  Though I’m already fearful of blowing it next year, because... I am a Cleveland fan and we always find ways of being fatalistic - unless we’re playing That Team Up North.

• Love 1

Good upset win for the Eagles over the Rams. They played well tonight especially Nick Foles. The Rams (especially Jared Goff) have been looking shaky the past couple of games.  That might not bode well for them going into the playoffs.

They are now only a 1/2 game ahead of Chicago in the NFC. Granted Chicago's remaining schedule is tougher than theirs, but things can happen. Both teams have to play the 49ers during their next two games. The 49ers have actually been playing decently and winning the past two weeks. If the Rams/Chicago end up with a tied record, Chicago will win the tiebreaker and have better seeding for the playoffs.

Edited by Jx223

Frak.  This is a worrisome loss for the Rams; the Bears showed the league how to beat them, and even the Eagles (fly, Eagles, fly - right into a window) managed to do it.  It doesn't bode well for the playoffs without some adjustments the Rams may not have the depth to make.

But, I shall console myself with this, which made this otherwise a great day in football:

The Giants got pasted today but whoooooooo cares?  They weren’t going to the playoffs anydamnway.

The Cowboys got blanked AND the Patriots lost.  Merry fucking Christmas!!

• Love 5
47 minutes ago, roamyn said:

The fact that we’re even discussing  Browns and Playoffs in mid-December is a miracle, and I’m ecstatic w/this season as it is now.  Though I’m already fearful of blowing it next year, because... I am a Cleveland fan and we always find ways of being fatalistic - unless we’re playing That Team Up North.

I am glad to see the major improvement that the Browns have had this year. It is nice that they had playoff hopes in December this year. 

I actually do wonder if they may not play as well next season as they have this season. They are definitely trending upwards. But often times teams that play well/show a lot of improvement one season don't play well the next season. Especially if they fail to capitalize/take advantage of opportunity when it prevents itself. Such as making the playoffs/winning a Superbowl. Things can change so quickly in the NFL from season to season. Teams like the Falcons, and Raiders are proof of this. 

One season they are doing well/showing a lot of promise. And then something happens. Like they choke or have serious injuries. And they aren't the same the next season or multiple seasons afterwards. 

I wish the Browns were able to capitalize on the opportunity they had to make the playoffs this year. Unfortunately they had too many early losses that came back to haunt them. I hope that they make the playoffs next year and that they aren't derailed by things like major injuries or a bad coaching change.

Edited by Jx223

It’s pretty obvious that the way to beat the Rams is shut their MVP down. Yeah, he had a few touchdowns but only 48 yards rushing. Goff is spooked wth all these INTs the last few games so he won’t win the game if the ball is in his hands. He overthrew receivers in the end zone multiple times, including the last play. Hopefully McVay can adjust the offense a bit so they can score more points, and the defense stops missing assignments. I was really impressed with him last week blaming the Bears loss on himself and his playcalling.

I don’t see many coaches blaming themselves for losses. I love the Rams but I find it hard to believe they can get past the Bears or Saints in the playoffs. They still make a lot of mental errors.

Cowboys and Giants get blanked, AND the Pats and Packers lose? Nothing wrong with that.

Edited by twoods

I felt so dirty rooting for the Pats.  Oh well, their losing can never be a bad thing even if it hurts the chances my team will make the playoffs.

I was at the Colts/Cowboys game.  Cowboys fans (who might have outnumbered Colts fans) left in droves after the 3rd Q.  One passed me and said "Enjoy the SuperBowl."  Sad thing is that even as well as they've been playing (ignoring the Jax outlier) the Colts will probably not make the playoffs.

It's the time of year where I have to reconfigure who I want to win and lose games. Usually it's NFC North (except VIkings) lose their games, then within NFC whoever has the worse record to win, then AFC beat NFC, etc. But now I need to cheer for the division winners to keep on winning in order to beat down the wild card competitors. Vikings are barely holding onto the second wild card spot. Washington and Eagles are nipping at our heels. Which means I need Dallas to take its division to keep Vikings safe. The win/loss formulas at this time of year get crazy!

58 minutes ago, Haleth said:

I felt so dirty rooting for the Pats.  Oh well, their losing can never be a bad thing even if it hurts the chances my team will make the playoffs.

I was at the Colts/Cowboys game.  Cowboys fans (who might have outnumbered Colts fans) left in droves after the 3rd Q.  One passed me and said "Enjoy the SuperBowl."  Sad thing is that even as well as they've been playing (ignoring the Jax outlier) the Colts will probably not make the playoffs.

If the Colts win their last two games and either the Steelers or Ravens lose just one remaining game, the Colts will be in the playoffs. 

I was watching the Cowboys/Colts game and irritates me that after 35 years, a SB win, two superbowl appearances, multiple HOF players, multiple division titles, you still get just as many Cowboys fans at the game as Colts fans

Plus most Cowboys fans are irritating in general.  They're like Pats fans, except their team has sucked for the majority of the last 20+ years, so its based on nothing. 

• Love 5

Fuck the Cowboys.  America’s team my ass.

Do you think the bazillion headline writers nationwide who all declared the Bears the “King of the North” know that the King of the North is a direwolf, and not a bear?  

• Love 4

Bad loss for the Panthers. Cam definitely did not play well. I am disappointed that it looks like they won't be going to the playoffs. They really have struggled during much of this second half of the season, after having a good start to the season.

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 2

Eric Reid is one of the most politically outspoken players in the NFL.  He's one of the few that still kneels during the anthem and here are the cleats he is wearing. 

Eric Reid has played in 11 games this season. He has been selected for a "random" drug test 7 times. The odds of that happening? 1 in 588.

• Love 14

Yeah, the NFL are trying to railroad him, and would be happy if he either fails a "random" test, or if he gets sick of it and says something that they can fine/suspend him for. Such a scummy way to operate. But what's worse? The NFL knows that a lot of its fanbase would be more than happy if Reid was being deliberately targeted. They'd see it as justified, because he dares to kneel during the national anthem.

• Love 4