Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

I am watching the Giants game on my phone and naturally FOX cuts in with a game break to show me Jerry Jones stupid idiot face celebrating.  Then as soon as I walk in the door to home (and the Giants game is also still playing on the TV) FOX does ANOTHER game break so I have to see Jones’s wretched face AGAIN.

Cut the shit, networks.  It’s obnoxious and annoying.  Fuck Dallas.

Oh Alex Smith no.  That looked horrific.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Popples said:
4 hours ago, xaxat said:

Who replaced Ben Roethlisberger with Nathan Peterman?

Jacksonville usually does this to him. Wish they could have saved some of those points from last week.

Turns out they didn't need them

• Love 1

So Washington has to go with Colt McCoy on a short week.  The division lead feels tenuous.

The Saints going for it on fourth and seven was hilarious, and would be rage-inducing if a certain other team did it.  I’m ok with the hypocrisy.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, merylinkid said:

With the win today the Cowboys play the Skins for 1st place in the division on thanksgiving.

So not only do I have to root for Washington, I have to root for an offense led by Colt McCoy.  Oh, well; a Cowboys loss is always something to be thankful for, so root I shall, but that's going to be a tough one for Washington.  At least the other two Thanksgiving games I can truly get into - I like the Bears and the Saints.

The Giants are either going to eke out a third win in a row next week in a close, ugly game, or the Eagles are going to get so fired up about recovering from today's embarrassing loss in New Orleans that the G-Men will go back to losing in a bloodbath. 

• Love 2

Anything can happen between now and February 3rd, but IMO, the Bears facing the Saints probably means both teams in the 20s, with Chicago closer to 19 points and New Orleans closer to 30 points.  Although if New Orleans trips up twice & Chicago wins out, that might b good news for the Bears.  Not sure of the tie-breaker, but I can't see the Saints losing more than once or the Bears winning 6 out of their last 6 games.

Saints might be unstoppable in the Superdome again, but you really can't let that distract you from the fact that the Eagles are awful this year.  Maybe Philadelphia should blame Josh McDaniels for their struggles. OTOH, they shouldn't since they still have Doug Peterson

Looks like Dallas might backdoor into the NFC East title.  I guess it's good news for them since they won't have to worry about the Packers this time around!

Not only as Alex’s injury the same one as Theisman’s (w/o it breaking thru the skin), and on the 33rd anniversary, but it was the same final score!

If Alex doesn’t come back (tho Gordon Hayward came back this year, but Basketball is different than Football physically), Washington is SOL w/his guaranteed money.

Good luck him and don’t push it.  Your health isn’t worth it.

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 2

I'd like to thank the two websites I check regularly for sports updates for putting "gruesome" and "Theisman-like" in their headlines on Alex Smith's injury.  That was like a flashing light with siren saying DO NOT CLICK HERE.  

These uniforms on the Rams are horrible.  I'm looking for the "Sponsored by French's Mustard" patch.  

Edited by Calvada
  • Love 4
21 hours ago, Carey said:

Looks like Dallas might backdoor into the NFC East title.

If I were a Cowboy fan, I would consider this a worst case scenario. Make the playoffs, get smashed by the Saints or Rams in the second round and Jerry proclaims success and makes no changes to a mediocre team during the off season.

But I'm not a Cowboy fan, so that works for me.

• Love 9

This is one hell of a game, but I cannot believe the strip for a TD that just happened - the sack was going to be one thing, but holy crap.

Edited to say: Quite an answer by the Rams.  This is a great game.  And I have had A Day (and missed the entire first half on TV, although I did get to hear some of it on the radio), so this is just what the doctor ordered.  Now I need it to end in a Rams victory.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2

How is there not a fireworks / pyrotechnic ban? Has the state not been on fire for there past few weeks?  

These refs suck, the announcers too.   They could also have at least tried to show SOME of the KC fans that are in Mexico City.  I know they are there.  But nope, same shot of the same bar with only LA fans.  

• Love 2

I think that this was a great game tonight. As expected there was a lot of high flying offense, but there was also some pretty impressive defensive plays made as well, especially from the Rams. Aaron Donald in particular made some really good defense plays. Great win for the Rams.

• Love 3

The time out by the Rams when they had KC 4th and 2 at that field position was a mistake. You don't need to put the game away there. Terrible play calling after the int too. They just struggle if it's going to be a game where you have to outscore to win. 

I probably would have taken the under, but considering the awful officiating, and the fact that the Chiefs are the most penalized team, maybe I would have considered the over. 

The thing is both defenses played great.  Many won't see that; Aaron Donald was a beast.  If the defenses of both teams hadn't done okay, it might have been 120 combined points or so.  OTOH, maybe not since several scores were defensive scores

Anyway, man that was such a fun game!  Thought I'd never say it, but it was a blast from the past in terms of enjoying some awesome football on a Monday Night!

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, xaxat said:

That was a great game. And despite the score, the defense for both teams kind of delivered.

That was crazy, and the announcers commented on it -- you don't often hear two defenses given praise in a game with that score, but that really was a great defensive performance on both sides of the ball on top of the obvious offensive prowess.  I'm obviously extra pleased with the outcome, but that was just a damn fine game.

• Love 3

Now THAT was a game.   Wow.    Defenses stealing the ball back and forth.   Offenses making some really impressive plays.    Just WOW.   

Chiefs have got to settle down with the penalties.   Although how Suh choking Mahomes was not called I have no clue.   It's not like the refs aren't watching Suh based on his history.   I really thought the Rams being out of timeouts with 4 minutes left would doom them.   Somehow it didn't.  

But you know it came down to experience.   Goff has a bit more than Mahomes and it showed.

The glaring problem -- game of the CENTURY probably and it was called by the WORST main broadcast team in all of football.   Witten has GOT to go.   McFarland had much better color commentary and play calling about what would happen than EITHER guy in the booth.   hmmmm let me think what the difference is there????

• Love 2

Last night's game sounded like a Super Bowl game. On Game Pass I get to hear one of the local radio broadcasters when the game is live. (Afterwards I can watch what was broadcast on TV.) Anyhow at least I missed the main broadcast team.

I was at the Chicago - Vikings game Sunday. Fun to be there but very disappointing for Vikings fans. I don't know why they couldn't do anything the first half since they definitely could the second half. I hope some day the defense and offense will play equally well. I was layered up and felt silly wearing the heavy-duty winter boots I wear when snow blowing the driveway but I'm glad I did.

The best part: after the game we were all walking to our cars, when suddenly we were all chanting, "Green Bay sucks!" over and over for about 5 minutes.

I find myself wondering if Bears fans will cheer for the Cheeseheads to win over the Vikes next week in order to help the cause.  

Since I am frequently disappointed by my home team (Bears) and somewhatly by the team of my heart (Green Bay) I usually have a few back-up teams that I root for.  Last year it was the Eagles and Vikings, and that turned out well.  This year, I have the Chiefs (luv The Walrus), Rams, Vikings, AND Bears.  Last night was fun to watch and really indicated the trend of the present NFL.

2 hours ago, basiltherat said:

Last night was fun to watch and really indicated the trend of the present NFL.

God, I hope not.  It reminded me of one of those Big 12 games, where it's 28-28 in the 2nd quarter.  If that's the future of the NFL, I'm not interested. 

• Love 6
On 11/18/2018 at 10:07 PM, mojoween said:

The amount of graphics NBC throws on the field is obnoxious.

The worst for me is the extra-green grass. TV fans are apparently so dumb that despite the line of scrimmage graphic, the yellow first line, and the direction arrow, we also need the colorized green grass to represent the distance to a first down. 

13 hours ago, merylinkid said:

But you know it came down to experience.   Goff has a bit more than Mahomes and it showed.

True. Mahones’ INTs seemed to come mostly from him feeling the pressure. 

And Goff has really blossomed this season. Is it because he finally has a good coach? Because he has been less than mediocrity his entire career.  

• Love 1
2 hours ago, topanga said:

And Goff has really blossomed this season. Is it because he finally has a good coach? Because he has been less than mediocrity his entire career.  

Jared is in his third year.  He had to deal with Jeff Fisher for most of his first year (where he was rather invisible).  Since then, really in 2017 he's been pretty good.

1 hour ago, mojoween said:

Phil Simms is no longer a semi finalist for the HOF.  That probably only makes me and his kids sad.

I actually didn't even know he qualified this year, or I just forgot

Speaking of the HOF, pretty happy for Hines and Faneca advancing to this stage.  IMO, Ward won't make the final cuts before 2/2/19 but Alan might.  Not many threats or competition this year.  Even less in 2020, but 2021 is a different story

15 hours ago, merylinkid said:

The glaring problem -- game of the CENTURY probably and it was called by the WORST main broadcast team in all of football.   Witten has GOT to go.   McFarland had much better color commentary and play calling about what would happen than EITHER guy in the booth.   hmmmm let me think what the difference is there????

I tuned into Kevin Harlan & Kurt Warner's call of the game.  That due is pure gold.  I don't hate Jason at all.  Great guy.  However, IMO, ESPN is basically a follower and not a leader.  Romo is in a class on his own.  People think that Witten, a former Cowboy, would be able to emulate Tony's success.  Romo is really good, and not a knock on Witten's call, but it probably wasn't the best call to put him in such a prime roll unless he was top notch.  IMO, McFarland with Tess is good enough, but I don't know if ESPN will make the change with the ratings as of late

49 minutes ago, Carey said:

Romo is really good

Has he gotten better than he was last year? Because it seemed like he never shut up. And he was constantly trying to predict the next play, which got annoying after a while. 

These days I strictly watch Red Zone, so I can't keep my announcers straight. 

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Kip Hackman said:

Has he gotten better than he was last year? Because it seemed like he never shut up. And he was constantly trying to predict the next play, which got annoying after a while. 

Was he ever good?  I know he got a lot of attention his first year but I didn’t see what all the fuss was about.  Personally he was annoying then and he’s annoying now.  

Witten seems like a pleasant enough guy but not cut out for one of the highest profile gigs in the NFL.  Also there’s no rule that your new hire has to be a Cowboy, networks.

• Love 4
On 11/21/2018 at 1:58 PM, mojoween said:

Huh.  Mike Tirico, Tony Dungy and Rodney Harrison will be calling the night game tomorrow.  

Rodney was quoted saying we won’t be clamoring for him to shut up. We’ll just see about that.

Yes we will, mojoween.  Yes we will.  As far as them calling the game, that's rather random.  I do remember them filling in a year or two ago, but that was during the NFLN/TNF/NBC short-lived era to give Al a break.  Must be Al Michaels annual "bye week" but if the game was Saints vs Panthers, it would have been Al & Cris IMO.  Then Mike fills for Al on Sunday while Liam would cover for Tirico at the studio

On 11/21/2018 at 4:59 AM, mojoween said:
On 11/20/2018 at 10:50 PM, Kip Hackman said:

Was he ever good?  I know he got a lot of attention his first year but I didn’t see what all the fuss was about.  Personally he was annoying then and he’s annoying now.  

Witten seems like a pleasant enough guy but not cut out for one of the highest profile gigs in the NFL.  Also there’s no rule that your new hire has to be a Cowboy, networks.

I guess I gave Romo a little too much credit there!  I think he is great, personal opinion.  He's no Madden, Trumpy, or Merlin, but based on the circumstances, he surprisingly exceeded expectations.  Will be ever be the best? I don't know, but he brings energy to the broadcast that was lacking when Simms was the lead analyst.

I'm also a Red Zone guy, but when it tends to be a big game, I usually prefer to have the main game on and swap to Red Zone after that.

Was totally wrong with going with Detroit over Chicago.  Didn't think they'd win even though that defense was great.  Short week without the starter and that should have been great for the Lions. Didn't think Stafford would throw a Red Zone pick in that spot or allow a 3rd & 9 conversion, either

Meghan Trainor singing “All About That Bass” while the fittest, trimmest women danced around her was amusing.  

Otherwise that game sucked giant donkey balls.  I’m SURE the officials missed OPI on at least one of Cooper’s long runs.

• Love 2

I think Washington gets a pass for losing today.  That was the definition of bad luck on every aspect.  Atlanta does not.  I guess when a team blows a 25-point lead with 17 minutes and 12 seconds remaining in the most important football game in the sport I shouldn't be stunned that the same team left 24 points on the board

• Love 2

Tonight was another good win for Dallas. Amari Cooper played very well tonight for the Cowboys. I think that overall, he has been looking nice for them. And I lol'ed when Zeke put Dak in the Salvation Army Kettle.

Also, I think that Falcons could have made tonight's game against the Saints much more competitive (and put themselves in a much better position to win it). But they didn't capitalize on multiple opportunities that were given to them (especially early on in the game.) They also made too many costly mistakes. And Matt Ryan was really shaky.

3 hours ago, xaxat said:

I've had a lot of issues with Rodney Harrison both as a player and announcer, but his take that potato salad is the best Thanksgiving side is the absolute worst.

Wait, what?  Potato salad at Thanksgiving?  Uh, fuck no and gross.

• Love 7
7 hours ago, NUguy514 said:

Wait, what?  Potato salad at Thanksgiving?  Uh, fuck no and gross.

Potato salad is definitely a common side dishes at some Thanksgiving tables, maybe a lot. I had it growing up at Thanksgiving and I enjoyed it. I didn't have a problem with Rodney's comment. To each their own.

44 minutes ago, basiltherat said:

That can't have been Matt Ryan, one-time MVP and almost Super Bowl champ -- that has to be Nathan Peterman in a Ryan mask, isn't it???  Or is it the coaching -- same head coash, is it Suckesian who ruined Matty Ice?

Matt hasn't been the same since Shanahan left his OC position at the Falcons. I really think that Kyle helped maximize Matt's talents. But after the Superbowl loss and Kyle's departure, Matt hasn't been as good and seems shaky at times. He's been making some mistakes that a veteran quarterback like him shouldn't be making.

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 3