Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, mojoween said:

As he gets hit with no flags thrown.

There were a LOT of bullshit calls made last night. Panthers still probably wouldn't have won the game but the Steelers might not have won by such a large margin if the refs weren't so obvious about who they wanted to win.

• Love 1

Wow, does today's slate of games suck or what? And we get to finish it off with Giants/Niners.

(Although I will check out Bills/Jets. Because of their respective quarterback problems that game might be epically bad.)

Not sure Le'Veon really thought this thing through. Sure, he didn't get injured, but he's not making that money back in his next contract.

1 hour ago, xaxat said:

Wow, does today's slate of games suck or what? And we get to finish it off with Giants/Niners.

(Although I will check out Bills/Jets. Because of their respective quarterback problems that game might be epically bad.)

Not sure Le'Veon really thought this thing through. Sure, he didn't get injured, but he's not making that money back in his next contract.

Niners' game might get moved 'cause of the fires.

NFL Contracts are not guaranteed, so the real money is in the signing bonus. Le'Veon is looking for 2 to 3 times what he would have made this season. It's risk/reward. Ask Earl Thomas.

How crazy is it that prior to present time, I was saying "I'll believe it when I see it" in relation to Bell's return and now I'm saying "I'll believe it when I (don't) see it" in relation to Bell not making it to Pittsburgh's South Side facility or wherever to sign his tender.  Yeah, I agree, Le'Veon messed up here.  He did make a business decision; he'll be a year older, but no damage is a good thing.  Just as long as he get hurt similar to how Suggs did six years ago (even though his returned in time to get his Super Bowl title)

Speaking of which, that sucks for Bryant.  He might never get payback unless Dallas wins the NFC East assuming New Orleans wins the NFC South.  Anyway per reports, I'm glad that Payton is leaving the door open for Dez to return, and he might actually get a ring before contributing!  As for Suggs, it looks like it's the end of an era in Baltimore.  With the changes coming regardless of a playoff berth, I can't imagine Terrell returning in 2019.  Fortunately, I think I can see him giving a significant speech somewhere in 2024

Does Bowles even get to show up to work tomorrow, or will they can him tonight?

Maybe he'll retire at halftime, assuming New York doesn't actually boot him at the half.

On 11/9/2018 at 10:23 AM, Ohwell said:
On 11/9/2018 at 10:13 AM, mojoween said:

As he gets hit with no flags thrown.

Yeah, but in fairness, so does Ben.  

Agreed.  Yes, Cam doesn't get Brady treatment, but some of the hits were actually legal.  Earlier in the year, TJ Watt's hit might have drawn a flag, but it was in the perfect spot on November 8.  Right below his right shoulder.  We'll see whether Newton gets unlucky down the stretch or if the refs will call that against Watt vs. New England and/or New Orleans

I'm with you, Bastet.  Patriots & Titans may have been overhyped, but probably a game that Tennessee wins ATS, but not outright because Belichick is the man.  This is the perfect time to get stuff done before 4:25 and Seahawks/Rams.  Have to catch up after yesterday's marathon of pretty good College Games. Probably will focus somewhat on Cowboys & Eagles since it is a big deal, and then watch a movie during Giants/Niners.  Unless the NFL puts on a 1990 rerun of the 49ers and the GMEN!

Edited by Carey
Editing for tags

Really good win for the Browns today. For the most part they were rolling on offense, (though the offense did become stagnant in the 2nd half). Their defense also showed up in big moments, like making a goal stop on the 1 preventing Atlanta from getting a TD. Baker Mayfield and Nick Chubb played very well. 

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 4

Apparenlty the key to beating Belichek is to be a former patriot.    They lost to the Lions under head coach Matt Patricia too.

49ers might be interesting only because of the new 49ers QB.   Otherwise, yeah no.   Although I heard a stat today that the Giants are the second highest pass play team this year.   Umm, who's brilliant idea was that?   Eli has never been THAT accurate.   Run the damn ball instead of throwing it 70% of the time.

Apparently firing the offensive minded HC and the OC was the way to get the offense moving in Cleveland.   Who knew?  Still don't like Gregg Williams.

1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

Although I heard a stat today that the Giants are the second highest pass play team this year.   Umm, who's brilliant idea was that?   Eli has never been THAT accurate.   Run the damn ball instead of throwing it 70% of the time.

Especially since you have Barkley!!!

3 hours ago, Mean Machine said:

I'm confused.  Why is Raiders-Chargers on Fox and Rams-Seahawks on CBS?  

Under the new rules the league allows games to move to the other network.  It's the fifth year they're doing that.  Not sure why it was necessary, I guess the NFL schedules the games prior to placing them on their respective networks.  If that's the case, there was no place to put Rams-Seahawks.  They couldn't air it at 1:00 and they already had Dallas/Philadelphia.  As a result, with CBS having the double-header this week and a rather awful set of games, they ended up getting Seattle at LA which should have been on FOX if not NBC

Raiders-Chargers on Fox was probably to make up for the lost game.  Oakland is not good so I guess I was happy I didn't get to see that game.

1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

Apparenlty the key to beating Belichek is to be a former patriot.    They lost to the Lions under head coach Matt Patricia too.

Apparently firing the offensive minded HC and the OC was the way to get the offense moving in Cleveland.   Who knew?  Still don't like Gregg Williams.

Actually, Belichick owns former Patriots.  Save for Josh McDaniels, his teams usually crush their opponents run by his former assistants.  Crennel, O'Brien, and Mangini are great examples.  Eric did defeat him once.  Dean Peas actually has had the most success against New England, even though he's 2-5 vs the Pats, his teams have played hard in most of those games.

Great win for Cleveland.  Figured they'd dominate under Gregg Williams and that defense.  Just a week late I guess

NBC's graphics package is out of control. The yellow first down line, the green line of scrimmage to first down zone, the arrow on the field with down and distance and down and distance in the box. 

(My favorite touch is the arrow. Do they think we have a problem figuring out which way the drive is headed?)

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 6

Much needed win for the Cowboys. Dak definitely had several shaky moments tonight, but overall the team held it together enough to get the win. Zeke played very well and the defense did a nice job (especially Leight Van Esch)  of stopping the Eagles and giving Dallas opportunities to score. 

Edited by Jx223

Blech. Fuck Dallas.

What went on at the beginning of the Seattle/LA game?

Seattle ran a series, then it seemed like they did a moment of silence before Seattle kicked off and LA ran their first series?  But if it was a moment of silence, why were McVay and Suh talking to the refs?  It was a strange sequence and we didn’t have the sound up on the TV I was watching so I didn’t hear an explanation from Jim Nantz.  I’ve just never seen game stoppage between series before.

• Love 2

What the hell happened to the Eagles? I ask as I drink my coffee out of a Eagles Super Bowl mug.   I don't get a lot of their games (being in Chicago) so I'm wondering if Foles was better than Wentz or if the injury bug is to blame.

Good for Cleveland and Nashville.

30 minutes ago, basiltherat said:

What the hell happened to the Eagles? I ask as I drink my coffee out of a Eagles Super Bowl mug.   I don't get a lot of their games (being in Chicago) so I'm wondering if Foles was better than Wentz or if the injury bug is to blame.

Good for Cleveland and Nashville.

Probably a combination of injuries ,they have a lot on defense and running back, and they lost theor Offensive Coordinator and QB coach in the off season. Foles is definitely not better than Wentz though.

Edited by shoregirl
10 hours ago, mojoween said:

Blech. Fuck Dallas.

What went on at the beginning of the Seattle/LA game?

Seattle ran a series, then it seemed like they did a moment of silence before Seattle kicked off and LA ran their first series?  But if it was a moment of silence, why were McVay and Suh talking to the refs?  It was a strange sequence and we didn’t have the sound up on the TV I was watching so I didn’t hear an explanation from Jim Nantz.  I’ve just never seen game stoppage between series before.

Looks like Jason Garrett ain't going anywhere.  At least not until the off-season

The moment of silence was a taped segment that happened earlier, mojoween.  Jim Nantz said "Earlier during pregame, there was a moment of silence to recognize the victims of Thousand Oaks & the wildfires" and then they cut back to McVay and Suh live

11 minutes ago, Carey said:

Looks like Jason Garrett ain't going anywhere.  At least not until the off-season

The moment of silence was a taped segment that happened earlier, mojoween.  Jim Nantz said "Earlier during pregame, there was a moment of silence to recognize the victims of Thousand Oaks & the wildfires" and then they cut back to McVay and Suh live

Ohhhhhh.  Thank you!  That is definitely something you had to have been paying attention for.

Even though the 49ers lost, I thought that Nick Mullens did a nice job tonight. He did seem antsy at times but overall, I like what I've seen of him so far. He was pretty good in 3rd downs in this game, and made good throws.

So, to get a win, the Giants have to play a team as awful as the 49ers - and still come damn close to giving it away in the end - but I'll take it, because this has been such a horrible season that even a close win over one of the other worst teams in the NFL is cause for ... well, not celebration, but at least not the usual despair, and that is a good thing.

And, for two horrible teams, that wasn't as dreadful a game as I was expecting. 

• Love 4

Also, once more for those in the back, Eli DOES NOT PLAY DEFENSE.

I mean, he would lead them on a drive, they’d score, and San Fran would immediately get three long pass plays and score.  Can’t blame Eli for that!

One win at a time.  9-7 is on the table.

• Love 4

THAT was an interesting game.    Mullens is turning out to be a nice surprise.   

But good grief the MNF announcers are baaaaaaaad.    Booger is okay but he is out on the field.   Put him in the booth and dump Witten.   It will help.  

• Love 4

It's official: Le'Veon Bell is out for the 2018 Season.

Several of his haters are partying and jumping for joy, while several of his backers are saying the Steelers are screwed if Connor gets hurt.

Meh.  I'm neither happy nor unhappy that the man didn't sign his franchise tag.  I'm happy that it's over.  The unhappy part came in the summer (and before that in the NFL draft) where the situation could've been addressed and handled much better

• Love 3
30 minutes ago, Carey said:

It's official: Le'Veon Bell is out for the 2018 Season.

Several of his haters are partying and jumping for joy, while several of his backers are saying the Steelers are screwed if Connor gets hurt.

Meh.  I'm neither happy nor unhappy that the man didn't sign his franchise tag.  I'm happy that it's over.  The unhappy part came in the summer (and before that in the NFL draft) where the situation could've been addressed and handled much better

I get the impression that Bell and his people were unreliable in their negotiations. I don't know who talked to whom, but it was clear that his O lineman expected him to show up for the season and I assume management thought the same. Then he didn't and the circus began.

It's a business deal.   Bell had one opinion on his worth and his workload, the Steelers had another.   Considering there were problems LAST year when the Steelers franchised tagged him, the Steelers should have seen this coming.   On the other hand, apparently, his agent didn't know he could just sit out the year and if he got tagged again it would be at the QUARTERBACK tag level.    If I were Bell and found that out, I would change agents.    That's kinda an agents job to know these things.

In other news, the game in Mexico City has been moved to LA.   The field was apparently in terrible condition after several soccer games and bad weather.   I am kinda bummed.   I see it from a safety viewpoint.   But I really wanted to see the Chiefs-Rams play on a neutral field.   

• Love 1
10 hours ago, merylinkid said:

In other news, the game in Mexico City has been moved to LA.   The field was apparently in terrible condition after several soccer games and bad weather.   I am kinda bummed.   I see it from a safety viewpoint.   But I really wanted to see the Chiefs-Rams play on a neutral field.   

Same here.  Probably two of the best teams within their respective conferences.  Yeah I know the Saints own the tie-breaker, but LA lost on the road without Talib in the Superdome, while New Orleans lost at home to FitzMagic in the Superdome.

Anyway, probably would have a true preview for a possible Super Bowl match-up.  Sucks for Kansas City since they have to keep winning out to prevent the annual AFC Title Game in Foxborough hosted by a team with 8 days rest after cruising over the AFC South following 13 days rest

Hopefully Mexico City will learn from this situation & I think they will since a lot of money was lost here

On 11/11/2018 at 2:00 PM, WritinMan said:

Wow. Bears might be looking for a new kicker tomorrow.

I hope they wait until after the Vikings play them this coming Sunday. I'll be at that game, sitting in the end zone to the visiting team's left.

Popping in during halftime of Packers @ Seahawks to ask what in the name of all that is holy is going on with Joe Buck's hair?  It's sort of flesh-colored, at least most of it.  Is it his attempt to do the color rush Thursday?  

Couldn't believe the Seahawks half-assed play to end the half.  Where was the Hail Mary?  For purely entertainment value, I think most football fans wish the Packers and Aaron Rodgers had the ball then.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

I have no ill will towards Mike McCarthy, but Aaron Rodgers is your quarterback and you punt on fourth and two with four minutes left? Mike might be gone at the end of the season.

Also his defense is a sieve.

After that series, I looked at hubby and said "Mike McCarthy is gone."   How do you go 3 and out with the game on the line and you are the freaking Green Bay packers?  Although those 2 throws of Rodgers were really off.    I thought the sack he took, it looked like he hurt his shoulder.    That might have affected things.

Much like the sequence from the Seahawks at the end of the first.   That was just baffling.   I think Wilson got thrown off by the penalty and just ... gave up.

I don't think we see either of these teams in the post season.    The Rams, unless they implode have a lock on  the West.   The Bears and the Vikings are handling the North.   

• Love 1
20 hours ago, Calvada said:

Popping in during halftime of Packers @ Seahawks to ask what in the name of all that is holy is going on with Joe Buck's hair?  It's sort of flesh-colored, at least most of it.  Is it his attempt to do the color rush Thursday?  

Couldn't believe the Seahawks half-assed play to end the half.  Where was the Hail Mary?  For purely entertainment value, I think most football fans wish the Packers and Aaron Rodgers had the ball then.  

I asked my best friend the exact same thing about Buck last night.  My exact words were “is he turning into a ginger albino?”  His attempt at a November mustache was pretty sad, too.  

15 hours ago, mojoween said:

I have no ill will towards Mike McCarthy, but Aaron Rodgers is your quarterback and you punt on fourth and two with four minutes left? Mike might be gone at the end of the season.

Also his defense is a sieve.

The Packers defense is not good.  But keep in mind that last night they had 3 defensive starters out with injuries, and then lost 3 additional defenders to injuries during the game.  Tell us again, NFL, why are these Thursday games a good idea?  

I think McCarthy will be gone after this season.  I often wonder how the past decade would have been different if they hired Sean Payton instead of McCarthy.  However, this year Rodgers has to take some of the blame.  He has too often gone for the home run instead of hitting an open receiver for a first down and the continuation of a drive.  And there have been several times that he's thrown into triple or double coverage and has missed seeing the receiver who is wide open.  He's taken sacks this year when there has been a receiver open and he never saw him.  Or perhaps he doesn't trust the receiver - Cobb's been hurt, so he's got Adams and a bunch of rookies.  And Jimmy Graham has done nothing.  Of course, that giant fork sticking out of his back has to be a hindrance.  

• Love 2
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

50 years ago today was the Heidi game!  A day that will forever be infamous, heh.

And we in the Bay Area didn't get to see any of it, in the days of local team blackouts, no matter if the team sold out or not.  Back in the days when I was a Raider fan, rather than a Raider hater.

That's why she should decline. It would be a two fer for the Browns, glass ceiling PR and satisfying the Rooney Rule. And they have no intention of actually hiring her.

On the other hand, Rice as an NFL GM would be an interesting proposal.

• Love 4

I’m excited for Lamar Jackson’s debut as a starter, even if I still hate the Ravens the most of all.

I just want Lamar to shut everyone up who doubted him because it seemed to come  out of nowhere and was really extra.

• Love 2