Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

It's too old, at least by today's insane standards used by owners to browbeat cities into building new facilities for them.

Teams love stadiums/arenas purpose build for them because it usually involves a city throwing hundreds of millions of free money at them and it gives them control of a lot of additional streams of revenue. PSLs, naming rights, concessions, skybox revenues, development rights. . . 

San Antonio is the new LA.    Teams will tease SA into believing it will get a team as leverage against their current city.   A team is not moving to SA anytime soon.   Hell the Spurs won't even play in the Alamdome anymore.   There is no way an NFL team will play there.

I have always wondered why Florida and California have 3 teams each and Texas only has 2.   New York doesn't count the Jets and Giants play in NJ.

That rumor might be more unlikely than the San Antonio one. Mayor Kevin Johnson has just completed a controversial deal to partially fund a new home for the Kings. I don't think he's going to pick that fight again.

I can't take it any more. And let me preface by saying I hope I don't come across as insensitive to people who have ever been a victim of domestic abuse but enough is enough.

So many things I am angry about...

Stephen A. Smith got a longer punishment than Ray Rice did, for having an opinion on a show where people are paid to have opinions, for saying that sometimes women provoke attacks, but not saying that all women deserve a beatdown. He wasn't completely wrong. ESPN was trying to prove a point apparently.

Ray Lewis was the fucking poster child for the NFL, and he got away with MURDER. Maybe he didn't do it himself, but he sure as hell helped someone get off without any punishment at all. I will never ever root for the Ravens (also, they embarrassed the Giants in the SB).

The video that all of judgmental America saw was 49 seconds long. Janay was unconscious. Ray was an asshole because he appeared to kick her legs and shake her. But what happened inside that elevator has only been seen by a few people. The fact that she was also charged and he didn't go to jail definitely appears to make it that there was mutual abuse going on.

I'm sorry, but I had to listen to pretty much four hours about this on Mike & Mike this morning and while I adore Stink, Ray Rice DOES NOT OWE YOU AN APOLOGY AND HE ALSO DIDN'T MAKE THE ENTIRE NFL LOOK LIKE NEANDERTHALS. God. Shut up.

I'm sorry. I really am. But I feel it has gotten so overblown to the point that people want Goodell to make some kind of speech about it this week in Canton. NO. This weekend is for the HOF'ers. And seriously. Ray Rice is not the only asshole to ever put on a uniform and he won't be the last.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 3
But what happened inside that elevator has only been seen by a few people.

And that's the part that gets to me.  Aside from those few who have seen it, nobody else knows what went on.  It was nice to see Jason Whitlock and Dan LeBatard admit yesterday that they haven't seen video of what went on inside the elevator, because to hear the rest of the sports world talk about it, one would think that they all witnessed the incident.  He dragged her out of the elevator like a sack of potatoes, but what happened is their business, not mine, and not the rest of the world's.  And Michelle Beadle can go sit down somewhere.     

And by the way Greg Hardy was convicted of abusing his girlfriend.    Nobody is talking about him and how he disgraced the League.

On a happier note -- the NFL Network is airing the Gold Jacket dinner at the Hall of Fame for the first time ever.   Of course, I am watching it.   What a silly question.  If you are a football fan, I urge you to take a trip to Canton.   It is amazing.   When you walk into the Hall of Fame Gallery with all the busts, it literally takes your breath away.   Seeing them all lined up on the walls, you can believe they talk to each other at night.

I am just sick of hearing about Ray Rice. But this is what the talk shows do anymore. They take a topic and beat it to death until you just can't listen to it anymore. The suspension if a bit light, in my opinion, but how many different ways can you say that and how many different ways can you keep saying the same thing.

They do this with everything though. The only reason they aren't STILL talking about Dungy's comments on Michael Sam is because of the Ray Rice decision. And none of them see the irony. I don't agree with Dungy's comments, but really, the way the media reacts with OUTRAGE to the suggestion that Michael Sam may be a distraction to a team because of his sexuality is by talking for literally HOURS AND DAYS about a short statement by Dungy on his opinion on the situation and the player. Aren't they basically proving his point? Raging and discussing to death a short statement about a fringe player drafted in the 6th round who hasn't even officially made the team yet pretty much proves his situation may indeed be a dsitraction, though not because of his sexuality but because of how the media reacts to these situations and any comments surrounding him and his sexuality.

They don't actually discuss the game anymore on these shows. They beat to death topics that are not about the game itself but everything surrounding the game.

People should be outraged that Tony Dungy would refuse to hire a gay player. That's equivalent to a CEO admitting that he wouldn't hire a gay employee. One thing that's bothering me regarding Ray Rice is that they haven't had any experts in domestic violence to discuss the situation. Batters are often contrite when they are caught so we'll see if he really is sorry over time.

OT, but did anyone see the Paul George injury & immediately think of Joe Theisman?

Does anyone remember that injury or seeing it? Thank God it was my in the 1980's before the proliferation of constant replays.

I remember the Joe Theisman break.....and it was constantly replayed then too. I also remember how visibly upset Lawrence Taylor was after making that tackle.

Edited by Snowprince
  • Love 1

That was my immediate thought too.   I did not see the Joe Theismann break live.   It was the one time I decided to study on a Monday night.   I never did that again.   I also did not see the actual break until a couple years ago when I looked it up on you tube.  I knew it was bad, I didn't need to see it happen.

People should be outraged that Tony Dungy would refuse to hire a gay player. That's equivalent to a CEO admitting that he wouldn't hire a gay employee. One thing that's bothering me regarding Ray Rice is that they haven't had any experts in domestic violence to discuss the situation. Batters are often contrite when they are caught so we'll see if he really is sorry over time

Agreeing or disagreeing with whoever was not really my point.  My point was they keep these things in the news cycle for nothing other than ratings until some new story comes along they can pounce on.  It shows they don't truly care about the issue, or any issue, its just a ratings gambit until they find the next new ratings piece to suck onto and stick with.  If a bigger news story came out amid the Ray Rice story, they'd drop it in a second, not another word.

This morning they had moved on from Ray Rice and now are all about Paul George's injury. 

Two months ago they went on and on about.......(huge sigh)........"Soccer is the next big thing, its catching on in the US!" because of the world cup.  Since the world cup ended, I have not heard one word from any of them about soccer.  Until this morning, I guess, and the only reason it came up this morning is because they were comparing FIFA and how soccer handles stars playing in the World Cup and the Paul George situation and how the NBA handles players in international competition.  I doubt I will hear a single word about MLS soccer again for a year despite them claiming two months ago it was the next big up and coming league. 

Its not as bad during the season in the NFL, but offseason especially, thats much of what you get.  Its not as bad on the local stations and coverage though, they cover local sports and you get less of this type of talk

They did a close up of the game last night of guys flipping through photos.    And today Pettine noted that the tablets didn't work for part of the game.   Stillshots will never leave us until technology is perfect.

• Love 1

The freaking NFL Network posted a picture of him on their Facebook page IN WARMUP CLOTHES with the hashtag #ManzielWatch.

I just cannot. Thank deities that he plays in the AFC on a team that is not Buffalo since I watch Giants games and the local CBS network is contracted to Buffalo, and if Buffalo isn't on they show the Jets.

He seems like enough of a douche that this isn't a hatred I can pin entirely on the media coverage. But they sure are making it easy to hate his ass.

• Love 1

Wait until he actually does something in the NFL -- and not just preseason before the media deifies him.   They did the same thing to Tebow.   Part of the reason no one wanted to take the time to develop the guy properly is because of the media circus that came with him.  

Merylinkid, I was going to bring up the Tebow parallel to Manziel but you beat me to it.  I fear Michael Sam's career is in danger of being derailed for the same reason.  I loved the thrill that was Tebow during his playing time here in Denver, but I have to confess it was a relief when the circus left town with him.  I see the same building around Manziel and Michael Sam, although I think the Rams will be smarter about doing what they can to keep Sam out of the glare, than the Browns organization with Johnny Football.

The MIchael Sam storyline can get out of hand.   But that is more "can he make it as the first openly gay player in the NFL" than already defying him as the bst ever.   So the hype for Sam will be more about him being able ot make the team, hopefully less subdued in order to not mess with that.   Of course, he did himself no favors with the almost Oprah reality show.

Manziel is also doing himself no favors with his partying and his comments about how he is in practice doesn't matter because he can do it on the field.   He sounds like a guy who thinks he made it and doesn't have to work.   So the circus is more about how wonderful he is versus can he make the team.   The cries for him to start week 1 will be a lot louder than the cries for Sam to just make the roster as even a back up.

I agree that the reasons for the circus differ between Tebow, Manziel and Sam.  The volume of the circuses is what I was referring to.

Had to roll my eyes, hard, at the media falling all over itself to air Manziel's postgame press conference and ignoring Hoyer who for now is the STARTING QB.  But... Johnny said mostly all the right things.  I'm thinking he either spent some of his money on a PR agent or he's beginning to realize the NFL isn't college and he's not the superstar he was at A&M.  There were a couple of times he looked a little surprised, as he was coming off the field, at how quickly the defense got to him.  And those guys weren't the starters.

The video that all of judgmental America saw was 49 seconds long. Janay was unconscious. Ray was an asshole because he appeared to kick her legs and shake her. But what happened inside that elevator has only been seen by a few people. The fact that she was also charged and he didn't go to jail definitely appears to make it that there was mutual abuse going on.

But the NFL isn't a court of law. They make their rules and punishments not necessarily out of a sense of justice but rather what they feel is important about image and perception of the league/game.  They value a specific way of wearing uniforms and will fine people for stepping outside of the lines. They suspend people for hits that happen during the course of a game because they want to let people know that they value player safety.  They ban a player four games for violating the substance abuse policy, even though it's a fertility drug apparently meant to help a player grow his family.  Yet all they could muster for one of the league's highest profile moments of domestic violence is a two game suspension?  Yes, we don't know what happened in the elevator (although I am having a hard time seeing how what his fiancee could have done  would have required knocking her out in self defense) but the punishments are rarely about the complexities of a situation--the fertility drug situation pretty much highlights that. 

The punishments are meant to show what the league takes seriously.  They've always been bad about domestic violence but with Ray Rice, they had a chance to make a statement and perhaps get serious about it...and they muffed it.  I think they deserve all the flack.

And none of them see the irony. I don't agree with Dungy's comments, but really, the way the media reacts with OUTRAGE to the suggestion that Michael Sam may be a distraction to a team because of his sexuality is by talking for literally HOURS AND DAYS about a short statement by Dungy on his opinion on the situation and the player. Aren't they basically proving his point? Raging and discussing to death a short statement about a fringe player drafted in the 6th round who hasn't even officially made the team yet pretty much proves his situation may indeed be a dsitraction, though not because of his sexuality but because of how the media reacts to these situations and any comments surrounding him and his sexuality.

With all these sports channels, air has to be filled and the media is going to bloviate on something.  If media talk affects a team, then that's a coach with a problem because it's a pretty weak locker room. 

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 3

Be prepared to not hear about any other players in the game.   

Be prepared for the howls of outrage if Michael Sam doesn't make the team. Jeff Fisher and the Rams will be pilloried as homophobic neanderthals if they cut or trade him, talent (or lack of same) notwithstanding.

Edited by Snowprince

I tend to doubt the prospects of widespread outrage if Sam doesn't make the club. Sure, you can always find groups that are offended by the littlest thing, and their views will be featured should he get cut. But I think the general populace, and certainly those that watch football, will think he was given a shot, and couldn't take advantage of it.

But the NFL isn't a court of law. They make their rules and punishments not necessarily out of a sense of justice but rather what they feel is important about image and perception of the league/game.  They value a specific way of wearing uniforms and will fine people for stepping outside of the lines. They suspend people for hits that happen during the course of a game because they want to let people know that they value player safety.  They ban a player four games for violating the substance abuse policy, even though it's a fertility drug apparently meant to help a player grow his family.  Yet all they could muster for one of the league's highest profile moments of domestic violence is a two game suspension?  Yes, we don't know what happened in the elevator (although I am having a hard time seeing how what his fiancee could have done  would have required knocking her out in self defense) but the punishments are rarely about the complexities of a situation--the fertility drug situation pretty much highlights that. 

The punishments are meant to show what the league takes seriously.  They've always been bad about domestic violence but with Ray Rice, they had a chance to make a statement and perhaps get serious about it...and they muffed it.  I think they deserve all the flack.

As a Ravens fan, I really wish the NFL had thrown the book at Ray Rice. But not just at him, at every player who commits a crime. It's absolutely ridiculous, the amount of stuff these men get away with, just because they're highly sought after sportsmen.

I don't know of any other sport where arrests are viewed as casually as they are in the NFL. 'Oh, it was only a DUI, no biggie', 'he didn't kill anyone'. I've seen Ravens fans who were disgusted that Rice received any sort of suspension, and said he should appeal it. What that says about those people, I hesitate to consider.

The lax punishments (and sometimes complete lack of punishment) handed down for these crimes, by both courts and the NFL, is little more than a message to say that the rules don't apply to these guys, and that they can conduct themselves however they wish. Unless they take drugs, of course. Then, things get nuclear. At least, they do if the player in question is too stupid to actually stop taking drugs (I'm looking at you, Josh Gordon, you clown).

• Love 2

Profootballtalk.com owned by NBC sports has the days since last arrest ticker.

The light punishments don't start with the NFL.   These guys have been protected since their freakish talents were discovered.   They skate in school and are taught the rules don't apply to them.   Then -- quelle surprise -- they act like the rules don't apply to them.   So you get things live DV, sexual assault, DUI, and stealing crab legs from Publix.   And let's not even talk about OJ Simpson and Aaron Hernandez.   "Oh you didn't treat me as a very special snowflake?   YOu must die."  

Also notice it's the exceptional players who get away with constant trouble.   If you are a marginal palyer -- you are shown the door by the team.  As long as you produce on the field, you can be a serial killer.   Literally.   Aaron Hernandez was only cut when he was arrested and held on bail, thereby being unavailable to play.

The League would do just fine if some of these guys were kicked out.   There are plenty of guys who might not be as freakishly talented but can play very well.who would love a chance to play pro football and don't have criminal records.   How about you give them a chance?

• Love 3

The chick interviewing Griffin at the end of the game last night actually asked him what he thought of Manziel's playing.

Are you kidding me? "So Peyton...what do you think about Brady?" No one would ever ask him to evaluate another QB's play on the field.

The more they shove this appalling douche down my throat, the more I hate him. And his bratty, juvenile behavior is all on him this time.

Griffin was classy, BTW.

• Love 1

Manziel has got to grow up.   It was freaking preseason and he was upset at a little heckling?   Gotta just ignore it.   But he gave his usual excuse "Have to be smarter."  He always says that, yet turns around and does another dumb immature thing.   Unless he thinks before he acts, he is not long for the League.

• Love 1
The chick interviewing Griffin at the end of the game last night actually asked him what he thought of Manziel's playing.

Was she a long-haired brunette with no lips and a smarmy smile?  If so, it's the local sports anchor, Dianna Russini.  She is annoying and dumb as a box of rocks.

I'm not sure...I was listening to ESPN radio at the time. I didn't recognize her voice but didn't catch her name either.

Mike & Mike were reviewing their Twitter today and said that it was pretty much 50/50 with people who like Manziel and people who think he's an immature little punkass douchenozzle pissant who doesn't know his place in the game. I find that hard to believe.

Ryan Clark came on and said that the edited version of what was said that made Manziel flip the bird was "this isn't college any more, these players are faster than you."

I would like to hear the unedited version of that because if that's all it took to set him off he's going to have a LONG season.

They probably called him something like "immature little punkass douchenozzle puissant" (love that description!), which still doesn't excuse Manziel.  After all, he should know by now how much smack the players talk with each other.  They probably went easy on his little ass, just wait until he plays in a real game. 

Thanks, Ohwell. Now I know how to spell "puissant"  (I've never written the word but always thought is was spelled "piss-ant."

It was good to hear Mike Tirico's voice. He's my favorite sports announcer.

Oh, Lisa Salters.  Thanks.

Thanks, Ohwell. Now I know how to spell "puissant"  (I've never written the word but always thought is was spelled "piss-ant."

I swear, I thought I copied mojoween's words exactly; don't know how I got the "u" in there.  If I remember my college French, I think "puissant" means knowledgeable or powerful, or something like that. 

Edited by Ohwell

Ditka thinks Redskins controversy is "ridiculous".

I like Ditka on Countdown even if I've never really been a Bears fan but I feel like this is a subject he should keep his mouth shut about.

On another note, and I am fully aware that this would most likely be a MOST unpopular opinion amongst the masses, but in a choice of Coldplay, Rhianna or Katy Perry for the SB halftime show...I would pick Katy Perry.

Edited by mojoween

I can't believe those are the 3 choices.   None of them jump out at you as OMG, this is so awesome for a Super Bowl halftime.   Specifically in regards to Rihanna, I thought they were getting away from raunchy after Justin Timberlake ripped off Janet Jackson's top (and how come she got in trouble and he didn't?  it took 2 to make that stunt work).   

Also did you hear?   The NFL is asking for a cut of any performer's post Super Bowl tour since the performer gets so much publicity out of performing at the Super Bowl.   So far the 3 aren't biting, but you know some act will.

P.S.  I signed the petition to have Weird Al be the half time performer.

• Love 1

On another note, and I am fully aware that this would most likely be a MOST unpopular opinion amongst the masses, but in a choice of Coldplay, Rhianna or Katy Perry for the SB halftime show...I would pick Katy Perry.

I can't believe those are the 3 choices.   None of them jump out at you as OMG, this is so awesome for a Super Bowl halftime.   Specifically in regards to Rihanna, I thought they were getting away from raunchy after Justin Timberlake ripped off Janet Jackson's top (and how come she got in trouble and he didn't?  it took 2 to make that stunt work).

Can none of the above be an option? 

As for Johnny Manziel, seeing his performance on Monday Night is making me wish that he would start in Week 1. I don't know who the Browns play on that day, but I hope that the opponent give Johnny Football a big taste of "Welcome to the NFL." I'm also hoping that he would have himself a Ryan Leaf type meltdown this season.

Though I'm not a fan of the team, I really want the Browns to succeed. But I am so pissed off that they chose this clown. I was hoping that he would go to the Cowboys. His antics would of been more tolerable had Johnny went to that team. It also would of made watching ESPN a little less torturous. 

Edited by Magog
  • Love 2

Browns announced it today.   Hoyer is the starter for Week 1.   They want someone who can keep his head out there.    Hmm wonder what brought about that decision?

I am interested in seeing how things work out for the Browns. I understand why they would go with Brian for right now, he's a veteran and he has a better understanding/feel for how the game is played on the professional level and understands the playbook better. (Even though he hasn't been playing that well so far) But I like Johnny, and believe that his ceiling could be much higher than Brian's. I hope that he will continue to learn the playbook and become better as a player, and eventually get more comfortable on the field. I think that Johnny could have a lot of potential. I could see him possibly taking over the starting position eventually.

It's unfortunate that Josh Gordon will probably be suspended for the whole season, because it seems like there isn't a whole lot of solid options for the quarterback to throw to on the Browns team.

Edited by Jx223

It's unfortunate that Josh Gordon will probably be suspended for the whole season, because it seems like there isn't a whole lot of solid options for the quarterback to throw to on the Browns team.

Why? What happened?