Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

I thought that tonight's game ended being an entertaining game. The 49ers performed much better against the Packers than I thought they would. It would have been nice to see them get the win, though the costly penalty at the end plus Aaron Rodgers leading one of his comebacks put a stop to that. 

• Love 2

Welcome back, Mason Crosby.  It shouldn't have come down to the final minutes against San Francisco, but once it did, those final minutes were sure fun.  (And I'm only a mild fan of the Packers.)

• Love 1

I think this is what the NFL really wanted when it said it wanted parity.   Not a bunch of 8-8 teams, but close games.    Games where it is competitive into the 4th quarter, not a blow out by the end of the first.   Look at how many games we had this year that were one score games.   How many ties we had this year.

Now if the defense were just allowed to actually play defense we might not have basketball score games.  

• Love 7

Don't forget this week's London game is on at 9:30 am ET.    It will be a barnburner (I so need that West Wing clip) I am sure, Chargers v. Titans.  

If the NFL wants to have a team in London can they PRETTY please send teams with winning records.   This is not fair to the Brits who shell out lots of pounds for these games to see this level of play.

This is the first game I have heard with Bruce Arians and I already loved him and this game has not changed that.  He’s so surly yet not in any way off-putting.  

I also love the rapport he already has with Trent Green.

I do find it amusing that the NFL wants London to be a destination for fans and teams, yet the broadcasts do not send their A teams to call the games.

• Love 1

Tennessee no!  WHY would you go for the potential loss?  Shouldn’t they have played for OT since they were the better team in the second half and had a better chance to win in OT?

Ugh.  Phillip Rivers does not deserve that victory.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Tennessee no!  WHY would you go for the potential loss?  Shouldn’t they have played for OT since they were the better team in the second half and had a better chance to win in OT?

Ugh.  Phillip Rivers does not deserve that victory.

It would have been the safer thing to do to take it OT, given how they were playing in the 2nd half. But since they did decide to go for the 2pt conversion, I think should have ran the ball. I believe they would have a had a better chancing of getting the 2pts/winning if they had ran it. 

Whether Dak Prescott has a concussion or not, Tony Romo blurting out “concussion! He doesn’t even know where is right now” the minute Dak got hit was terribly reckless, IMO.

You’re a former player, Tony.  Not a physician.

In unrelated news, the Browns.  So very Browns.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 5

That was a great comeback by the Panthers today against the Eagles. Cam did a really nice job in the 4th quarter leading the team to the win. I think that Norv has been doing a nice job with Cam this year. I think that the Panthers could end up doing well this season. 

It was unfortunate to see the the Browns get another heartbreaking loss. And IMO this was probably the worst loss they had this year.Last week, I think they were outmatched by the Chargers and the Oakland game felt like it was taken away from them. (With questionable calls made by the officials). This game against the Bucs was one they had more control over and should have won. But they were simply too undisciplined and couldn't capitalize on multiple opportunities,(the pick that Jamie Collins got in OT, not being able to punch it in at the 1yard line in regulation etc....) 

I do think that the Browns have good young talent and I think that Baker could end up being a very good QB for them. Overall, I think he's been doing a nice job with them. But they have got to become more disciplined and learn how to win. I do hold Hue Jackson and the coaching staff accountable for their lack of discipline. 

Also it's nice to see Houston go on a 4 game winning streak. They are now at the top of their division. Jacksonville on the other hand has lost 3 games in a row and benched Blake Bortles for today's game. I wonder if he will start next week. 

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 2
13 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

Those Rams uniforms are horrific.

They really are.  I'm mostly just listening to the game while I organize some files on the computer, but every time I turn to look at the TV, I groan at those uniforms.

Not a Niners fan, but these injuries have been ridiculous and demoralizing. I think they lose a few guys every game. The Rams are looking really good. Looking at their schedule, I’m wondering when their first loss will be. Maybe the Saints or Chiefs?

Edited by twoods
2 minutes ago, twoods said:

Maybe the Saints

Speaking of, you got both sides of the coaching decision coin today. Titans coach Mike Vrabel goes for the win and ends up losing. Ravens coach John Harbaugh plays it safe for the tie and...ends up losing. 

Football is a funny game.

• Love 3

Big win for the Washington Redskins against the Cowboys. Adrian Peterson did a nice job for them today. They are now at the top of the NFC East. That flag at very end was costly. I do believe Brett would have made that kick had the team not been penalized the extra yards.

Edited by Jx223

Romo needs to remember he is no longer a Cowboy.  Ass.

There are only two times a year I would ever admit to saying this (well ok three times if the NFC East plays the AFC East, wait five times if the AFC North is also involved) but Hail To The Redskins!

Also, CBS, this game was in WASHINGTON.  Get that fucking cretin Jerry Jones off the damn screen.

• Love 5

The only time I'll cheer a Washington victory is when they beat the Cowboys, so I was glad the Rams game ended in time to switch to those final seconds and let me cackle.

If only the Bears had pulled off their comeback giving the Patriots a loss as well, it would have been a good football day all around.

• Love 6
48 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Also, CBS, this game was in WASHINGTON.  Get that fucking cretin Jerry Jones off the damn screen.

I'm sorry they didn't have a shot of Skelator sitting there with his mouth hanging open in disbelief after that FG attempt went wrong. 

• Love 3

I'm about sick and tired of my family members planning events during Panthers football games! Thankfully my BIL turned the game on at the last quarter. What a comeback! Thankfully next week I'll be at the game. As a birthday present to myself I'm sticking my husband with the kids and going to the game with my dad. First home game in a few weeks so I hope we win! 

• Love 7

Good gods.  Last Sunday's and tonight's games are the only two Chiefs games I've seen this season, so I'd heard about the slobbering over Mahomes, but hadn't experienced it.  It's ridiculous!  I think he's a good player off to a promising start and I'm interested to see how his career plays out.  But holy cow!  Dial it back a notch or eight, please.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, roamyn said:

Another overtime, another overtime loss for the Browns.  Sigh....

With all of these grueling OT's they've played almost an extra full game. I was disappointed to see them lose today, but I am glad they have at least been competitive and that Baker looks like the real deal. I think that the talent on the team is better than it's been in a while, I just wish they could harvest it into wins. I think that a big part of their struggles has to do with coaching. 

I was hoping they would get at least 5 wins, (which would be a nice improvement from being winless last year). I've looked at the rest of the schedule to see where they could get them from. Maybe they can at least beat the struggling Falcons and steal one game against Cincy, which would get them a couple of more wins (and provide some more hope for the future.)

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 2
10 minutes ago, Jx223 said:

I think that a big part of their struggles has to do with coaching. 

I was hoping they would get at least 5 wins, (which would be a nice improvement from being winless last year). I've looked at the rest of the schedule to see where they could get them from. Maybe they can at least beat the struggling Falcons and steal one game against Cincy, which would get them a couple of more wins (And) provide some more hope for the future.

I just want three wins.  That’s all I asked for b4 the season started.

And I agree that the main reason for these overtime games has been the coaching.  Problem is, if they didn’t fire Hue last season, they probably won’t this, either.  He’s more competitive, and we halve a rookie QB.  Unless Baker expresses his anger to the mgmt team abt the coaching, I think they’d be reluctant to change.

Of course, Baker seems more confident than other rookie QBs out there, so my theory could be wrong.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, roamyn said:

Another overtime, another overtime loss for the Browns.  Sigh....

But the good news that's worth 1 point in the standings!

What? Oh, wait....

Sorry, that's hockey. An OT loss is worth jackshit in football.

Edited by Fukui San
  • Love 5

I was thinking that NBC flexing Kansas City into the night game wasn’t the best idea since it played out the way everyone on earth thought it was going to, but the original game was Los Angeles and San Francisco.

I'm happy that Vikings won and now lead the NFC North. Adam Thielen caught another 100 yards, so that's 7 games in a row now. I'm getting confused about what record he's broken, if any. I keep hearing different stats.  Normally I would want Patriots to lose but I wanted them to beat Chicago yesterday. Too bad Detroit won their game.

I'm going to Chicago w/my brother to see Vikings play. We just got the tickets last night. It should be fun!

• Love 2

A first rounder is waaay too high.   I mean Cooper is good.   But not worth a first rounder.    Stephen Jones must not have been able to get the phone away from his dad in time.  

But think about it -- both Mack and Cooper gone from Oakland.    Gruden is really in over his head.  

• Love 1

I hope that Amari does well with the Cowboys, especially since they gave up a first round pick for him. I also read that Patrick Peterson wants to be traded from the Cardinals. I really like Patrick and wonder which team he might end up at. I saw a tweet from a reporter saying that he prefers to go to the Saints. 

Edited by Jx223
33 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Why in all hell did the Giants go for two in this situation?!

If they make it, another TD and extra point gives them the lead, while missing it, they are still down only one score - assuming the D holds.  I was more confused by Eli trying to sneak it twice with time running out.

Edited by Moose135

The radio announcers tell me that Bennie Fowler is the 4th player to catch passes from both Peyton and Eli Manning.

Without looking it up, I'm fairly sure that factoid doesn't count defensive players. I'd have to think there are more than 4 defensive players to get them both given the longetivity of both careers.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Moose135 said:

If they make it, another TD and extra point gives them the lead, while missing it, they are still down only one score - assuming the D holds. 

Going for it and missing it means if they manage to score another TD without Atlanta scoring, they need the two-point conversion even to tie; they have no option to go for the win.  If they kick the extra point (and get it), and they score another TD without Atlanta scoring, they then can decide whether to kick for OT or go for the win.  It was a TD too early to go for two, plus momentum is really important under their circumstances.

If they had made the 2, everyone would have said how smart it was to go for 2.   Because they didn't go for it, it wasn't smart.   They lost by 3.   If they had made it, all they needed was to get into field goal range to win.   

I LIKE coaches being more daring.   Sometimes it doesn't work.   But conservative REALLY doesn't work a lot of the time.   Philly would never have won the Super Bowl if they had gone the conservative route.   Belichek has the record HE has because he is always devising new things.   

• Love 1
6 hours ago, merylinkid said:

If they had made the 2, everyone would have said how smart it was to go for 2.   Because they didn't go for it, it wasn't smart.   They lost by 3.   If they had made it, all they needed was to get into field goal range to win.   

I LIKE coaches being more daring.   Sometimes it doesn't work.   But conservative REALLY doesn't work a lot of the time.   Philly would never have won the Super Bowl if they had gone the conservative route.   Belichek has the record HE has because he is always devising new things.   

Yeah, I remember one year the Patriots went for it on like 4th and 10. I don’t think their defense was very good that year. Well, they didn’t get it, and Belichick got reamed out by the press. But he kept his cool all week and stood by his play calling. I admired that—and I can’t stand Belichik. 

So is Eli done, or is there something blocking him mentally right now? He still has pretty good arm strength, but too many of his seemingly easy throws have been inaccurate. He’s always been good for a few interceptions in a game, but  he used to be able to step up and make big plays during crunch time. I’m not seeing that anymore. 

14 hours ago, Fukui San said:

The radio announcers tell me that Bennie Fowler is the 4th player to catch passes from both Peyton and Eli Manning.

Without looking it up, I'm fairly sure that factoid doesn't count defensive players. I'd have to think there are more than 4 defensive players to get them both given the longetivity of both careers.

Burn! LOL. 

Why in all hell did the Giants go for two in this situation?!

I'm wondering why Mr. $95 Million Dollar Man (Odell Beckham Jr) basically dropped that 2 point conversion. That looked very catchable to me & he should of caught that. 

BTW, the Giants traded Eli Apple to the Saints for draft picks. (4th round in 2019 & 7th round in 2020)

Edited by Magog
  • Love 1
59 minutes ago, Magog said:

I'm wondering why Mr. $95 Million Dollar Man (Odell Beckham Jr) basically dropped that 2 point conversion. That looked very catchable to me & he should of caught that. 

Yeah, I was a little distracted during the replay joining the announcers in their WTFery on going for two, but I thought it looked like a throw he should've caught.

Mike Vrabel is SUPER good-looking.  Too bad about that Pats legacy.

I am at the point where it’s just getting tired for the media to nitpick every damn thing Eli Manning does.  

”Matt Ryan threw for 379 yards!  It was a HOF-worthy performance!”

”Eli Manning threw for 399 yards.  What a trash heap.”

I get it, but he’s not the only problem with this team.  I assert, again, that if he had some time back there, he would look a lot better.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, topanga said:

So is Eli done, or is there something blocking him mentally right now? He still has pretty good arm strength, but too many of his seemingly easy throws have been inaccurate. He’s always been good for a few interceptions in a game, but  he used to be able to step up and make big plays during crunch time. I’m not seeing that anymore. 

2 hours ago, mojoween said:

”Eli Manning threw for 399 yards.  What a trash heap.”

I get it, but he’s not the only problem with this team.  I assert, again, that if he had some time back there, he would look a lot better.

I think he is hearing footsteps and is dumping the ball.   There was one  play where Odell was WIDE OPEN.   Even Shumur was going "throw it to Odell" but Eli just didn't see him.   He's too scared about getting dumped on his ass ... again to think straight.    Peyton was like that early in his career.   He was getting sacked so much he would just start coughing up the ball whenever anyone got near.   He got over it.   And got a decent line to protect him.   

Ever since Coughlin left that team has put the dys in dysfunctional.   With all that going on, is it a surprise things are a mess on the field.

As a a Cowboys fan, all I can say is "Thank God for the Giants."

• Love 1