Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

On 10/9/2018 at 4:11 AM, roamyn said:

Since Peyton only held it for a few years, I wonder if Mahomes will have it broken by end of 2020 season?

A lot can happen , especially with 40+  year old QB’s, but Peyton’s all time regular season TD passes should come tumbling down next year by either or both Brady and Brees.  Brady should pass Peyton’s overall TD passes (regular and playoffs) in the next 3-5 games.

For Brady haters it could get worse:

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/10/15/16464558/tom-brady-nfl-record-list-most-touchdowns-yards

Brady if he stays healthy (big If I know) can own most passing records, and the ones he doesn’t get will go to Brees.

Edited by caracas1914

It's too bad for Barkley that his first 2 or 3 seasons will probably be wasted on bad overall teams because of the QB and OL situation.

By the time the offense is finally overhauled, he might have gotten dinged up and slowed down.

It's unreal how blind the Giants have been to Eli's suckitude. He might get 3 coaches and 2 GMs fired before his career is over.

• Love 3

The o-line is trash lately.  Eli can’t throw if he’s constantly running for his life.  Also I don’t see the D out there stopping anyone.

Also also I’m sick of Odell and his shit attitude.  Keep that in the locker room.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

Barkley’s pretty good though, eh?

This. I know he’s not Barry Sanders, but his running style is very reminiscent of Sanders. Very light on his feet with those quick side to side cuts. 

Thank goodness I've adopted the Rams as my number two team, because this is going to be a long fucking season as a Giants fan.

And, yeah, while I hate to agree with Dez Bryant on anything, I'm going to go ahead and agree with you fine folks here that the Saquon Barkley/Barry Sanders comparisons are among the few times it's appropriate to draw comparisons this early in someone's career.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, Fukui San said:

It's too bad for Barkley that his first 2 or 3 seasons will probably be wasted on bad overall teams because of the QB and OL situation.

It's unreal how blind the Giants have been to Eli's suckitude. He might get 3 coaches and 2 GMs fired before his career is over.

That's the plight of so many of the best players, isn't it? Because they get drafted early, by bad teams, a big part of their careers are spent toiling away in despair. Pundits like to point out that drafting a QB in the first round is a 50/50 crapshoot, but the reality is most of those QBs with so much promise are being tossed behind awful O-lines, with few support players, and bad coaching. They're being setup for failure right from the start.

Then everyone acts so astonished when a mid-round QB drafted by a good team does well (Russell Wilson, Dak Prescott), or when a late round RB comes out of nowhere to tear up the league.

The only difference with Barkley is that he's so good he is a 1-man wrecking force. Nearly everything he's done this season has happened despite the QB and without the help of the offensive line. Just look at his 9-yard run last night and then his big touchdown run. It stands out how great he is because the rest of the offense has so many glaring faults.

The Eli situation is weird because sometimes he looks SO good and other times he looks like... well, last night's Eli. I thought the difference came down to the scheme the Giants were running. Because how they played the Texans and the Panthers looked so very different from how they played the Saints and the Cowboys. The Eagles game seemed to lie somewhere between the two extremes yet he looked absolutely terrible. The drop off is like nothing I have seen before from another quarterback with so much experience.

I don't think he's completely toast, but the coaching staff have to figure out how to consistently get good Eli to show up.

• Love 6

Also also I’m sick of Odell and his shit attitude.  Keep that in the locker room.

Odell showed more effort in that interview with Lil Wayne last week than last night's game. I hope that this is the last time for a long while that we hear about Odell Beckham Jr being an elite receiver. Its like he is still living off that catch that he made against the Cowboys several years ago. 

The o-line is trash lately.  Eli can’t throw if he’s constantly running for his life.  Also I don’t see the D out there stopping anyone.

Eli Manning may suck right now & may be pretty much done. But, he has something that you can't buy for $95 Million ($65 Million guaranteed). Being a Super Bowl Champion (2 time). I hope Odell Beckham Jr enjoys that $95 Million contract because he will never ever be on the field on Super Bowl Sunday. Baker Mayfield will be playing in the Super Bowl before Odell Beckham Jr does. 

2 hours ago, ae2 said:

The Eli situation is weird because sometimes he looks SO good and other times he looks like... well, last night's Eli. I thought the difference came down to the scheme the Giants were running. Because how they played the Texans and the Panthers looked so very different from how they played the Saints and the Cowboys. The Eagles game seemed to lie somewhere between the two extremes yet he looked absolutely terrible. The drop off is like nothing I have seen before from another quarterback with so much experience.

All I’ll say is that if the Giants team that played last night is the same team that shut down the Cowboys, then the ‘Boys really suck. I can’t be a Cowboys hater because I live in a Cowboys household, but I proudly declare how much I hate Jerry Jones. 

• Love 1

Jesus Lord Almighty, I think the Giants may be the most dysfunctional shitshow of a football team in the history of the NFL.

I thought getting rid of that bum Flowers might pep the o-line up a bit, but Eli was getting clobbered all night. As a New England fan, I knew Solder wasn't going to be worth the money the Giants paid him. I always thought he was overrated when he was with the Patriots.

Poor Barkley looked like the only one trying. I swear there was a moment of him sitting on the bench and the look on his face said "Is this really going to be the next three years of my life?". At least he's getting paid well in exchange for his misery.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Jesus Lord Almighty, I think the Giants may be the most dysfunctional shitshow of a football team in the history of the NFL.

I thought getting rid of that bum Flowers might pep the o-line up a bit, but Eli was getting clobbered all night. As a New England fan, I knew Solder wasn't going to be worth the money the Giants paid him. I always thought he was overrated when he was with the Patriots.

Poor Barkley looked like the only one trying. I swear there was a moment of him sitting on the bench and the look on his face said "Is this really going to be the next three years of my life?". At least he's getting paid well in exchange for his misery.

Whar other positions did the Giants draft this year or pick up in free agency? As bad as they are, the name ‘NY Giants Football’ still has a certain amount of luster. 

I get what they are saying about Eli.  I truly do.  And I am usually the first person to bag on him when he does something poorly, even if I bristle when non-fans do it because I’m irrational like that.

But fuck’s sake, why is no one talking about the defense?  Eli was indirectly responsible for one of the Eagles TD’s, to my recollection, and there was a borderline shit call against Jackrabbit but the rest of the D was a sieve all night long.  Yeah, I get that the defense has to work extra hard when the offense doesn’t move the ball, but that’s no excuse to not do your job when it’s your turn.

Isn’t there another team they can talk about?  I really blame OBJ for this.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, mojoween said:

I really hate how much I love this terrible team.

Barkley’s pretty good though, eh?

This Giants team is AWFUL

But God love Barkely being a beast on my fantasy team the last few weeks.  The lone star on a bad team. 

And that includes OBJ, also on my fantasy team.  If not for his TD pass last week, he would be sucking it up for me.  I seriously might even bench him.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, topanga said:

Whar other positions did the Giants draft this year or pick up in free agency? As bad as they are, the name ‘NY Giants Football’ still has a certain amount of luster. 

The Giants had a busy off-season. It's important to keep in mind that this is essentially the first year of a rebuild... there was a lot of turnover. In general the draft looks pretty good, but many of the free agency moves are questionable.

Offense

Dropped the 2017 starting RT Bobby Hart

Drafted starting LG Will Hernandez

Picked up Nate Solder as our new starting LT

Moved Ereck Flowers to RT, then dropped him during this season in favor of the undrafted Chad Wheeler*

Allowed our starting RG/LG/RT Justin Pugh, a first-round pick, to walk; and also another former first-rounder G D.J. Fluker.

Signed RG Patrick Omameh

Traded C Brett Jones to the Vikings and made Jon Halapio the starter, who was injured and put on IR a couple weeks ago to be replaced by John Greco. Also released our previous starting C, Weston Richburg, who had been a second-round pick.

Added veteran RB Jonathan Stewart, who only played a few snaps and then went on IR after a couple games

Picked up WR Cody Latimer, and released Dwayne Harris

Drafted Barkley #2 overall.

Defense:

Signed starting LB Kareem Martin, and released 2017 starter Devon Kennard

Added CBs Curtis Riley and B.W. Webb, while releasing Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and Ross Cockrell

Signed DE Josh Mauro who was suspended for the first 4 games of the season.

Replaced the Punter Brad Wing with Riley Dixon

Claimed and released nearly every punt/kick returner in the league

Drafted both LB Lorenzo Carter and DT BJ Hill in the third round, both who have played a significant role this season.

Drafted d-lineman R.J. McIntosh in the 5th. He has yet to play due to a non-football sickness/injury (not sure of the details here)

Spent a 4th round pick on Kyle Lauletta, a QB who has yet to dress for game day but may be part of the future. During the pre-season, released 2017 3rd rounder Davis Webb.

Traded DE Jason Pierre-Paul and released DE Romeo Okwara

Used a 2019 3rd round pick in the supplemental draft to pickup CB Sam Beal, who was placed on IR in the pre-season

* whose Wikipedia page currently says:

He will forever live in the hearts of New York Giants fans as the man whose excellent play got the first round bust, Ereck Flowers, cut during the season.

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, ae2 said:

The Giants had a busy off-season. It's important to keep in mind that this is essentially the first year of a rebuild... there was a lot of turnover. In general the draft looks pretty good, but many of the free agency moves are questionable.

Which makes sense, except if you're rebuilding then you have to at least draft a new QB to replace Eli.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

But fuck’s sake, why is no one talking about the defense?  Eli was indirectly responsible for one of the Eagles TD’s, to my recollection, and there was a borderline shit call against Jackrabbit but the rest of the D was a sieve all night long.  Yeah, I get that the defense has to work extra hard when the offense doesn’t move the ball, but that’s no excuse to not do your job when it’s your turn.

I was out last night, and when I got home, it was 31-6.  I was about to turn it off when Barkley busted off that TD run, so I stuck around a bit.  Philly gets the ball, almost lost a fumble, then drove down the field for a FG.  Turned it off at that point.

• Love 1

Giants fan here.  That game was a brutal one to watch and at 4-19, the team has become what the Cleveland Browns have been for a long time (though they look like they are pulling themselves out of it.

Eli Manning is washed up and the Giants management sounded like fools for suggesting he had several years left.  Gettleman was the most ridiculous of all.  Last year after a strong performance meaningless Week 16 game against the Eagles, Gettleman said that Eli's performance wasn't a mirage and he still had it (ignoring Eli's performances in the other 14 games he played that season).  So, yesterday Eli played a  terrible game in a MEANINGFUL Week 6 game against the Eagles where he looked completely washed up.  I'd love to see Gettleman try to explain that one.  It's decision-making like that that got him canned from Carolina.

It's time for the Giants to move out from Eli and see if the kid from Richmond Kyle Lauletta has anything.  But the ownership that has run the team into the ground is too stubborn and afraid to make the switch.  John Mara is not a good owner...he's just living off of his father's reputation. 

I'm a Penn State fan and was thrilled that they got Barkley.  Still am.  But they needed a quarterback. 

My biggest pet peeve from the game might have been late in the 2nd quarter.  You have a 4th and goal at the 2 yard line.  Plenty of time for the Eagles to get the ball back and score, plus they'll be getting the ball back after halftime.  The Giants are trailing 14-3 and are their record is 1-4.  They have nothing to lose by going for the TD so what does Shurmur do instead?  He goes for the field goal.  Way to play to win the game there, Coach.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 2
16 minutes ago, benteen said:

My biggest pet peeve from the game might have been late in the 2nd quarter.  You have a 4th and goal at the 2 yard line.  Plenty of time for the Eagles to get the ball back and score, plus they'll be getting the ball back after halftime.  The Giants are trailing 14-3 and are their record is 1-4.  They have nothing to lose by going for the TD so what does Shurmur do instead?  He goes for the field goal.  Way to play to win the game there, Coach.

There's a lot about Shurmur's playcalling that bugs me, but that one was a fairly typical NFL coaching decision. Nearly every other coach would have done the same thing.

Take the 99% success-rate field goal, and be down by only 1 score.

Or take a gamble at the touchdown, and if you miss you're still down by 2 scores. If you make it, you're still down by 1 score.

There is certainly a case to be made for being more aggressive in this particular situation, based off how our offense was playing and the weapons we have available, but it's not quite as cut and dry a mistake. Unlike some of his other gaffes...

Those Manning boys have a problem in knowing when to quit playing.  Peyton limped into his second SB to tie Eli, and now Eli is limping to top him.

Not that I know a lot about quarterbacks -- my fellow Bears fans are STILL waxing nostalgic about Punky QB Jim McMahon as being our best, and he played in 1985!!  Or Jay Cutler, who was a sack and interception machine.

• Love 2

Aww man.  I was really getting into the bonus coverage of Miami and Chicago but because of the NFL contract they had to stop broadcasting it with two minutes left in OT.

Now I have to watch the stupid Cowboys because of course they are the main late game.

• Love 2

Brocktober baby!

Riverboat Ron called some curious play calls in the last two minutes.  He took too many shots to the end zone rather than going for the first down.  They had time.

I hate the ‘skins AND the Stillers, heh.

• Love 2

Closing arguments in the Kaepernick collusion suit....

Mark Geragos: "Ladies and Gentlemen of the jury, I have no closing argument. Instead, I just wish to show you some game film...of Nathan Peterman." [NFL Lawyers audibly groan][Geragos hits play]

ESPN Sports Center: "After being out for 15 minutes, the jury found for the plantiff and awarded Kaepernick $100m."

• Love 12

I am glad that the Cowboys won. That was a great win for them today against the Jags. They really dominated the Jaguars. The Jags seem to be in a bit of a funk since the game against the chiefs last week, where they were also dominated. They played very well as a team overall. Both sides of the ball were clicking and special teams was also efficient. Next week's game against Washington could be interesting. 

Also, I am glad that the Texans won today. After a shaky start their is hope for them in their division.

I was disappointed that the Panthers and Browns lost. Carolina made some bad plays at the end of the game today costing them and Cleveland didn't struggled against the Chargers. I hope both teams bounce back next week. 

• Love 1

I knew Petermam would lose the game for the Bills. I was shocked by the TD then the pick 6 and then another int to end the game. Fuck then for not letting Kaep try out because of their hillbilly fan base and owner. 2-14 you go, and I’m a Rams fan now.

• Love 3

The Patriots/Chiefs (like many people predicted) was a pretty competitive game. The Chiefs got their first loss of the season but overall, I think that Patrick Mahomes and their offense played very well. I could definitely see these two teams meeting again in the playoffs. 

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 3
16 hours ago, mojoween said:

Riverboat Ron called some curious play calls in the last two minutes.  He took too many shots to the end zone rather than going for the first down.  They had time.

As a Panther fan, I think this was karma for the Giants win.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Jx223 said:

The Patriots/Chiefs (like many people predicted) was a pretty competitive game. The Chiefs got their first loss of the season but overall, I think that Patrick Mahomes and their offense played very well. I could definitely see these two teams meeting again in the playoffs. 

Yeah, both defenses sucked.  The Chiefs during the first half, the Pats during the second.  I still wish the Pats had lost, tho.  KC is my 2nd fave team aft the Browns, due to my respect for the late, great Mart Shottenheimer.

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, Jx223 said:

I only watched the first half of the game. KC was moving the ball, and Mahones was playing well, but they couldn’t get the ball into the end zone. I think that made all the difference. Looks like they played much better in the second half. 

3 hours ago, Kip Hackman said:

As a Panther fan, I think this was karma for the Giants win.

As a Giants fan, I think was karma too, although I would have rather it not come at the hands of an NFC East opponent.

• Love 3

I'm happy for a Vikings win - and a Chicago loss. Now if only Green Bay loses tonight . . . The Vikings have a running game again and Adam Thielen now has 6 games in a row with over 100 yards.

The name Mahomes was so familiar to me and realized his dad (Pat Mahomes) pitched for the Twins in the early 90s. I was watching and listening to those games.

3 hours ago, topanga said:

I only watched the first half of the game. KC was moving the ball, and Mahones was playing well, but they couldn’t get the ball into the end zone. I think that made all the difference. Looks like they played much better in the second half. 

Yeah. The Chiefs got the benefit of a few short fields (long kickoff and fumble recovery) and some busted coverages. But in the first half there were some open receivers that Mahomes just missed, too.  All in all, if the two teams met again you'd expect that game to be like this one.

Mahomes also tried to force the ball into the end zone at the end of the first half instead of throwing it away and taking the 3 points. The coaching staff has to be aware of the larger context of the game. No one was punting much, so every point you can get is going to count. Even though they were only getting field goals in the first half, you have to figure the Pats defense isn't going to hold all game (which it didn't). As much as I don't like playing not to lose play calling, you also need to maximize points when you're in the red zone. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ganesh said:

Mahomes also tried to force the ball into the end zone at the end of the first half instead of throwing it away and taking the 3 points. The coaching staff has to be aware of the larger context of the game. No one was punting much, so every point you can get is going to count. Even though they were only getting field goals in the first half, you have to figure the Pats defense isn't going to hold all game (which it didn't). As much as I don't like playing not to lose play calling, you also need to maximize points when you're in the red zone. 

True, but field goals won’t beat the Patriots. I’m sure that’s what KC was thinking. I sure was. 

25 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

As a 49er fan, I can only laugh at this.  The 49ers?  Win a game?

hahahahahahaha

As Dan LeBatard likes to say, anything can happen “because football.”

Don’t count the Niners out just yet!  At least wait until kickoff.

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 8:10 PM, basiltherat said:

Those Manning boys have a problem in knowing when to quit playing.  Peyton limped into his second SB to tie Eli, and now Eli is limping to top him.

Not that I know a lot about quarterbacks -- my fellow Bears fans are STILL waxing nostalgic about Punky QB Jim McMahon as being our best, and he played in 1985!!  Or Jay Cutler, who was a sack and interception machine.

Harbaugh was pretty good. 

McMahon at his peak was probably the best of the group for the Bears in the SB era though

1 hour ago, topanga said:

True, but field goals won’t beat the Patriots. I’m sure that’s what KC was thinking. I sure was. 

No they won't. Situational awareness though. Or call better plays because that one was a mess. 

You stay classy, Pats fans. 

https://www.boston.com/sports/new-england-patriots/2018/10/15/tyreek-hill-beer-patriots-chiefs

40 years watching the NFL, I honestly have never seen that happen on TV.  Not saying it hasn't happened to players, I'm sure it does, but this was live on a nationally televised prime time game.  And the fans had to know they were going to be seen doing it.   

We've seen in in the NBA, with Ron Artest and the brawl that kept Reggie Miller from winning an NBA title in his final season.  Bunch of crap that was. 

But when it does happen, is it shocking at all it is in NE?

Philly fans are probably mad they have never done it on TV thought

57 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

You stay classy, Pats fans. 

https://www.boston.com/sports/new-england-patriots/2018/10/15/tyreek-hill-beer-patriots-chiefs

40 years watching the NFL, I honestly have never seen that happen on TV.  Not saying it hasn't happened to players, I'm sure it does, but this was live on a nationally televised prime time game.  And the fans had to know they were going to be seen doing it.   

We've seen in in the NBA, with Ron Artest and the brawl that kept Reggie Miller from winning an NBA title in his final season.  Bunch of crap that was. 

But when it does happen, is it shocking at all it is in NE?

I saw this when the Chiefs played the Broncos.  Of COURSE New England upped the ante with thrown beer.

43088534_10212469173673893_7976379465586

52 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

You stay classy, Pats fans. But when it does happen, is it shocking at all it is in NE?

It's perhaps a little shocking, since according to this data-driven article from the Washington Post (and commentary on the report by NBC), you're much more likely to see violent behavior at a Chargers, Giants, Jets, Raiders, or Steelers game.  And, of course, the fan in question was identified, banned from Foxboro, and referred for criminal prosecution (as he should be).

• Love 3

A Yankees fan also threw a full can of beer at Craig Kimbrel in the last game of this year’s ALDS. Obviously the Pats fan who did it last night was completely out of line—and I am very glad the team has permanently banned them/the matter is being prosecuted—but this unacceptable behavior is hardly restricted to New England fans (and sadly seems to be on the upswing nationwide—seriously, what the hell is happening to people’s senses of basic decency?). But yes, by all means let’s pretend that the Pats are the only pro franchise whose fanbase has a couple of dickheads who cross the line.

• Love 11
46 minutes ago, Clark Kent said:

It's perhaps a little shocking, since according to this data-driven article from the Washington Post (and commentary on the report by NBC), you're much more likely to see violent behavior at a Chargers, Giants, Jets, Raiders, or Steelers game.  And, of course, the fan in question was identified, banned from Foxboro, and referred for criminal prosecution (as he should be).

Drunk groups of fans are a problem.  Full stop. When caught behaving reprehensibly they should be held accountable. The worst thing I ever saw was in Minneapolis, the worst thing that ever happened to me was in St. Louis.  They had nothing to do with either city and everything to do with the people who made the  decision to behave horribly and aggressively.  It’s not funny and it’s not cute and it’s not specific to a fan base.

Edited by bosawks
  • Love 14
1 hour ago, stealinghome said:

A Yankees fan also threw a full can of beer at Craig Kimbrel in the last game of this year’s ALDS. Obviously the Pats fan who did it last night was completely out of line—and I am very glad the team has permanently banned them/the matter is being prosecuted—but this unacceptable behavior is hardly restricted to New England fans (and sadly seems to be on the upswing nationwide—seriously, what the hell is happening to people’s senses of basic decency?). But yes, by all means let’s pretend that the Pats are the only pro franchise whose fanbase has a couple of dickheads who cross the line.

Oh, it's definitely not isolated to specific fanbases. I remember a Toronto fan who threw a full can of beer at a Rangers outfielder as he was trying to catch a fly ball during the ALDS a few years back. They found out who he was, banned him from all future games and it turned out that he worked for a PR firm that had ties to the Blue Jays, so they fired him. And I didn't feel sorry for him one bit.

• Love 4