Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

I thought that tonight's game was entertaining. I thought that both teams did nice things. Patrick Mahomes continues to be impressive and make really good plays (like when he threw left handed on 3rd down, while being tackled) and the Denver Broncos did a nice job of playing defense throughout much of the game. They did a nice job of trying to contain him throughout much of the game. But towards the end he really stepped up and made some really good plays to help the Chiefs win. Kareem Hunt also played well. 

I think that the Broncos defense was a good test for Patrick. I am looking forward to seeing what happens when these two teams play each other again.

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 3

The Broncos put up a good fight, but I think they made some strategic mistakes in the fourth quarter- like not running Freeman when they got the ball back with a three point lead and about five minutes to go. Mahomes is really talented . He reminds me of Aaron Rodgers with his ability to extend plays and gun the ball downfield without setting his feet. The difference in arm strength between him and Keenum is huge.

Witten has improved some from the first week, but it still seems like he got the job just for being a former Cowpie, not because of any ability to offer insightful commentary. Did he say anything that wasn't a football cliche?

• Love 2

It's amazing how Davis Webb, who the New York Giants drafted in the 3rd round last year as a potential successor to Eli, is connected to 3 of the most talked about QBs in recent weeks. (Webb is now on the Jets practice squad, by the way.)

In 2013, Webb beat out fellow freshman Baker Mayfield for the starting job at Texas Tech, prompting Mayfield to transfer.

In 2014, Webb got injured late in the season. So freshman Pat Mahomes took over as starter and never gave up the job.

In 2016, Webb transferred to Cal to replace Jared Goff as QB.

It's a small world.

(Also, Goff was recruited to Cal by Jeff Tedford, who also recruited Aaron Rodgers to Cal. Tedford was David Carr's offenisve coordinator at Fresno State -- where he got to know David's younger brother, Derek Carr.)

Oh, and I agree with the Witten criticism. ESPN and "Tess" touted him as being really, really great. And boy he's terrible. I mean, really, he's the best guy? And not some other guy with experience?

Edited by nowandlater
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, mojoween said:

I want to like Patrick Mahomes, but the media is making it very difficult.

I wonder if the left-handed throw had fallen incomplete or gotten picked if they would have gushed so much over it.

I know what you mean.  But I watched the pre-game (gushing) interview with him, and Patrick seems like a pretty nice guy despite all of the butt-kissing. He’s been a great athlete all of his life, and his dad was an MLB player, so I’m sure he’s been having his butt kissed since he was a little kid. 

• Love 1
13 hours ago, mojoween said:

I want to like Patrick Mahomes, but the media is making it very difficult.

I wonder if the left-handed throw had fallen incomplete or gotten picked if they would have gushed so much over it.

And if Dwight Clark hadn't caught the pass from Joe Montana, it wouldn't be called "The Catch".  And if Babe hadn't hit the home run right after, there wouldn't be a "Called the shot" fable.  And et cetera.

It's gush-worthy when it works; because it worked. 

But when it's neither your town nor your team, I'm sure it's boring.

• Love 3

True, but Mahomes was reckless when he did it and it could have gone so very wrong.  I mean, if Von Miller was breathing down my neck though I’d probably be a little jumpy too.  

I’m not saying it was boring, but the media fitting him for his gold jacket every time he does something is getting to be a bit much.

And he really does seem like a good kid I would normally get behind!

Edited by mojoween

Because Von Miller was breathing down his neck is why he switched to his left hand.   If he had put his right arm back to throw, Miller would have switched it.   Mahomes had the presence of mind to change hands to protect the ball and STILL made the throw.

My husband was watching with me.   He was all "Did you see that throw????   OMG!!!! "   While the game was still on I was checking twitter and video of that throw was up.   Hubby was making fun of me for checking highlights DURING the game, until I showed it was that play.   He kept watching it.   

I'm not even a Chiefs fan and definitely not an Andy Reid fan -- but that play was AMAZING.    Let's hope Reid doesn't screw the kid up -- or cost them a game through his complete failure at clock management.

• Love 3

Wow Gano! That was incredible and he bailed out Rivera’s dumb third down call.

Cleveland getting jobbed a second game. Sucks for them.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 2

Finally, something positive happened to the Browns today. They won in Overtime. Their loser kicker didn't mess it up for a change.

Edited by Magog
  • Love 7

I am very glad that the Browns won. That was an entertaining finish to their game against the Ravens. Baker did a nice job of helping lead them to the win at the end of OT. 

I'm also glad that the Panthers won. That game against the Giants, ended up being a good one. The Giants really strugged at first, but fought back to make the game more competitive. Graham Gano came up really clutch at the end with the 63 yard kick to help Carolina get the win. 

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 2

It's official - the Packers have become mediocre.  I know they lost by "only" 8 points, but what an ugly, ugly game.  Apparently Rodgers is going to take 1 1/2 to 2 quarters to warm up every game this year; the defense can't get pressure on the QB, can't tackle, can't stay healthy; and then the one reliable guy they have, Mason Crosby, goes so completely off the rails they've called in the NSTB to investigate.  Did his wife text him at 11:58 am CT asking for a divorce?  What in the flaming hell was wrong with him?  

Thank goodness all of us in Wisconsin had the Brewers game immediately after, or the entire state might have imploded.  

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Magog said:

Finally, something positive happened to the Browns today. They won in Overtime. Their loser kicker didn't mess it up for a change.

It’s a new kicker.  Yeah, he missed the extra point, but that’s all he’s missed since he became a Brown (I don’t count the 55 yard a miss).

For Clevelanders, this was one busy sports weekend.  I called he Buckeyes and one Indians games as winnable, the rest I was sure we’d lose.  The extract opposite happened (not counting Buckeyes).  Cavs, Browns both won.  F*g Indians are just gonna kill me.

• Love 2

I was so pissed at the Giants game I decided to clean up the DVR rather than watch the Eagles and Vikes.  And I sure as fuck am not going to watch the Cowboys on purpose.

I’ll just look at Twitter and hope to see a highlight of JJ Watt slinging Dak to the turf (with no flags!).

• Love 1

I know Houston was inside the 1, but going for it on 4th down was a poor choice. You kick the FG, go up by 7 and get the ball to start the 2nd half. Part of the reason so many teams are terrible is because they over think everything. 

• Love 1

Dammit.  I need to turn off the alerts on my phone.  Here I was, happily watching Hell’s Kitchen, when the NFL app breathlessly tells me the game is tied late in the fourth quarter.  Since I’m on vacay next week and have no need to be up at five tomorrow, I had no choice but turn on NBC.  They took advantage of my weakness!

• Love 2

I really feel like the Cowboys should have went for it on 4 and 1 in OT in tonight's Cowboys/Texans game. I think that helped cost them the win. I also give DeAndre credit for his impressive play at the end of OT that helped the Texans win. And Deshaun Watson did a nice job of hanging in there to help make that throw to him, (especially considering all of the hits he was taking all night long).

I thought that overall both defenses were pretty solid tonight. Unfortunately for Dallas their offense couldn't do enough to help them get the win and I think there was some questionable playcalling that also hurt them. 

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 1

Deandre Hopkins’s catch and run terrified me.  That is no way to hold the hall if you don’t want it stripped away.

That said...woo!  NFC East is BRINGING IT today.  If I have to be miserable, I hope everyone ends up in the pit with me.  

• Love 2

I think that maybe Washington or Philly could end up winning the NFC east division this year.  Philly has had a shaky start but I could see them getting things together.  Dallas might finish underneath these two teams and I think that the Giants will end up finishing last again.. It will be interesting to see how things shake out in this division. 

Also, things are starting to look up for the Texans. They were looking dead in the water, but after winning two games in a row actually have some hope.

I'm miserable about the Giants game (and fuck the officiating*), but the Rams/Seahawks game was exciting and the Rams remain undefeated.  Add in the Cowboys losing, and at least I had a sliver of sunshine on this dreadful weekend.

*From what I've read and the clips I've seen; we got the Packers game, so I did not see the Giants game for myself.

• Love 2

What is about the Lions?   Do those ugly ass uniforms (NOT Honolulu blue and dirt gray) mesmerize good teams into sucking?   They beat the Pats and the Packers this year.   But lost to everyone else.   

I think I read Rodgers is only practicing one day a week.   They might want to change that.   

Nice to see the Rams still winning.    

Damn that Cowboys loss HURT.     So close but then just couldn't punch it in.   They should have gone for it on fourth and short during regulation.    What the hell right?

8 hours ago, mojoween said:

Deandre Hopkins’s catch and run terrified me.  That is no way to hold the hall if you don’t want it stripped away.

That said...woo!  NFC East is BRINGING IT today.  If I have to be miserable, I hope everyone ends up in the pit with me.  

Come on Washington! Let’s make the NFC East 0-4 this week. *sigh*

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Bastet said:

I'm miserable about the Giants game (and fuck the officiating*), 

*From what I've read and the clips I've seen; we got the Packers game, so I did not see the Giants game for myself.

Yep. It was a terribly officiated game. I can stick with a football team even when they're bad, but I can't tolerate bad officiating changing the outcome of games when there are easy ways to avoid that. I had to turn off football after that game and I'm not sure I'll be watching any more non-Giants games this season, and the only reason I may be able to tolerate their games is because the players were super vocal about the referees after the game.

3 hours ago, ae2 said:

Yep. It was a terribly officiated game. I can stick with a football team even when they're bad, but I can't tolerate bad officiating changing the outcome of games when there are easy ways to avoid that.

This!  I'm not saying Philly deserved to win that game yesterday because they played like shit for the whole first half and they had their chances to pull ahead late and didn't capitalize.  But that Roughing the Passer call against Barnett is still making me seethe.  Barnett did everything possible to avoid any “dirty" contact with Cousins.  Such a bullshit call that led to them scoring when it should've clearly been a sack.  It's so hard to swallow especially losing by just 2 pts.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, SuburbanHangSuite said:

This!  I'm not saying Philly deserved to win that game yesterday because they played like shit for the whole first half and they had their chances to pull ahead late and didn't capitalize.  But that Roughing the Passer call against Barnett is still making me seethe.  Barnett did everything possible to avoid any “dirty" contact with Cousins.  Such a bullshit call that led to them scoring when it should've clearly been a sack.  It's so hard to swallow especially losing by just 2 pts.

Doug Pedersen had a couple of boner calls, including challenging in the 4th on a very clear catch.

• Love 2

Now I admit I don’t watch very many home Saints games, but I wonder why the crowd doesn’t cheer DREEEEEEWWWWWWW like the boo sound when he does good things?

I don’t like anyone breaking Peyton’s records, but Brees has never been objectionable so good on him.

I love that the president of the HOF took the game ball while wearing white gloves.

I can never remember the difference between the Bengals and Saints and which is Who Dat and which is Who Dey.

Regardless, I hope this Washington beatdown continues. NFC Least indeed.  I mean, the defense on that TD was...not.

Edited by mojoween
1 minute ago, mojoween said:

I can never remember the difference between the Bengals and Saints and which is Who Dat and which is Who Dey.

Regardless, I hope this Washington beatdown continues. NFC Least indeed.

Bengals - Who Dey

Saints - Who Dat

(I only remember this because a friend is a Bengals fan.  Something to do with Boomer.)

Totally agree with the other sentiment!

Congrats to Drew for becoming the all time passing leader and on a 62 touchdown, no less. That was a special moment to see for him, his team, his family and his fans. 

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 4
27 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

Bengals - Who Dey

Saints - Who Dat

(I only remember this because a friend is a Bengals fan.  Something to do with Boomer.)

Totally agree with the other sentiment!

Someone needs to become "Who Dis?"

• Love 8
42 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

For a long time, that’s what all the fans asked when the Browns’ quarterback stepped on the field.

21 minutes ago, Fukui San said:

I was thinking: LA Chargers. "New Home, Who Dis?"

You guys are hilarious. Not the most exciting game tonight, but glad to see Brees get the new record. 

1 hour ago, mojoween said:

I don’t like anyone breaking Peyton’s records, but Brees has never been objectionable so good on him.

That’s exactly what my son said. LOL 

The state of the NFL all these offense records are going to come tumbling down. We'll have to start a second record-keeping system based on how long players hold a particular record. 

• Love 3
On 10/9/2018 at 6:11 AM, ae2 said:

The state of the NFL all these offense records are going to come tumbling down. We'll have to start a second record-keeping system based on how long players hold a particular record. 

Adam Thielen of the Vikings is doing pretty well. The last time someone's caught passes for over 100 yards 5 games in a row was in 1962. And he's the first ever to catch over 100 yards the first 5 games of the season.

• Love 1