Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

The Dolphins were hoping nobody read their internal policy book.    But someone did.

The NFL did not respond to this by suspending the new policy.   The NFLPA had filed a grievance over the NFL's new policy.    To settle the grievance, the NFL agreed to suspend the policy while working with the NFLPA on the issue.   Quite frankly, as a vet, the best solution is to just let the protests happen.   Eventually, they will die down.   They start up again or become a big deal every time someone throws a fit about them.   So the owners gets worked up.   The players react to the owners getting worked up and start kneeling again.   It will be over if they ignore it.     

• Love 1
(edited)

I was at Vikings training camp on Wednesday. The new facility is pretty nice. Training camp is canceled today so the team and staff can go to Coach Sparano's funeral.

During camp, there was a bald eagle circling overhead for awhile, but it didn't land on anyone's shoulder.  The punt machine was spitting out footballs, so it would have been funny if the eagle grabbed a football when it was high up in the air.

The quarterbacks, running backs and wide receivers were in front of me so it was fun to watch them. Cousins practiced quite a bit. The other three quarterbacks practiced, too.  I was checking out the rookies. #7, Carlson, is a kicker and he practiced kicks for a while from the 25-yard line. He made them all.  

Edited by Lamb18
  • Love 2
On 7/27/2018 at 4:42 PM, mojoween said:

It seems like the entire Cowboys organization is doing everything they possibly can to ensure that I continue to hate them vehemently.

What are Dak and Elliott going to do?   Contradict Jerry Jones?    They have no choice.   They have to say the company line.   Jerry and Stephen both made it clear that it's stand for the anthem or get off the team.   I don't doubt they would do it.

NOW the continued partnership with Papa John's is insane.   Except that Jerry Jones owns about 4 million (estimated) franchises.   He HAS to keep the company stock up or those franchises are worthless.

• Love 2

Would Jerry though? If both Dak and Elliott knelt? I would like to see that stand off. Jerry's going to flat out cut them? They'd be signed within the hour. 

I just really want the owners to be knocked back so much. 

• Love 7
8 hours ago, ganesh said:

Would Jerry though? If both Dak and Elliott knelt? I would like to see that stand off. Jerry's going to flat out cut them? They'd be signed within the hour. 

I just really want the owners to be knocked back so much. 

I believe he would.   His ego is out of control.   He has made this statement that his team WON'T do it.   If anyone tries, they are defying him.     He will put up with drugs, domestic violence, all those things, but he won't put up with HIS players defying him.    And yes, there is a racial element to his attitude.

• Love 9

I hope they do and they go 4 and 12.

6 hours ago, merylinkid said:

And yes, there is a racial element to his attitude.

This isn't even debatable. The entire kneeling issue is steeped in racism. 

I really want to see the NFL lose an entire season next time the CBA rolls around. The NFL is out of control and needs a huge reality check. 

• Love 9

Is anyone watching the HOF ceremony on ESPN?  It sounds like they have field level mics down by the crowd so you can hear their yammering during the speeches and it’s so distracting.

I can’t wait until Murderin’ Ray’s induction so I can watch a “Big Bang Theory” rerun during it.

• Love 2

I'm happy I tuned in for Randy Moss - wow, his son looks just like him.

Murderin' Ray is after Randy, so I can tune him out, LOL.  I just wanted to see Randy Moss.

• Love 4

Glad Ray Lewis is last so I can turn the channel.

Everyone's speech was great tonight.   Very emotional.   Very personal.   very much about OTHERS.   

Too bad NFLN showed TO's temper tantrum personal party.

• Love 2

TO managed to make me hate him even more in the process of getting inducted into the HOF. 

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24286030/terrell-owens-held-own-hall-fame-ceremony-alma-mater

And he contradicts himself.  First he says this :

"I would like to set the record straight: It's not because how many times it took me to be voted to the Hall. It's about the mere fact that the sportswriters are not in alignment with the mission and the core values of the Hall of Fame.''

But then later in his speech says this :

"And when they ostracized me and tried to keep me from what I rightfully earned not once but twice, I remember the text,'' Owens said, referring to his mother. "You texted me and said, 'You ain't got to worry about nothing. You were always a Hall of Famer to me.' But Mama, you are the real Hall of Famer.''

It was not about how many times it took him to get in, but then he complains about being "ostracized" for being left out twice. 

Screw you TO.  I many not always agree with the HOF decisions, but the NFL HOF I think out of football, baseball and basketball does the best job of electing who is worthy.  There are a few I can argue if they should be in or not, but even those, I can understand why they are in or out.  "Ostracized" from the HOF?  What a load of BS.  No one is OWED a spot in any HOF.  And he DID GET IN, it just took him 3 years.  Oh boo hoo, I had to wait two extra years to make it in the HOF, as if that is the worse injustice anyone in the NFL has ever suffered.  Yeah I sure feel for you.  You are so mistreated, you selfish ass. 

And then he gets up there and tries to claim that "this is for all of you" to those who attended.  No, its not.  Its about making it all about TO once again.  He didn't want to share the spotlight with anyone and refused to be lumped in with the rest of the group that was elected this year.  Wanted his own ceremony all to himself. 

He is first ballot in the All About Me HOF. 

It took Jerry Kramer, a multiple SB winner with one of the great dynasties of the game and one of the best guards of all time, DECADES to get elected to the HOF basically because the HOF felt there were already enough Packers in the HOF from that era, no other real reason.  He attended and humbly accepted his award

TO has to wait three years and he tries to turn it into a "statement" and act like he is Nelson f******* Mandela for the 'travesty' of being left out for two years. 

Edited by DrSpaceman
  • Love 8
On 8/5/2018 at 10:50 PM, ganesh said:

He's welcome at my house. Convicted criminals are not. 

I wish I could say that, but family, you know...

On 7/28/2018 at 5:24 PM, merylinkid said:

NOW the continued partnership with Papa John's is insane.   Except that Jerry Jones owns about 4 million (estimated) franchises.   He HAS to keep the company stock up or those franchises are worthless.

Peyton Manning also owns a bunch of franchises in Denver. I don’t know his politics, don’t WANT to know his politics, quite frankly. I just wonder if he’s going to keep them, especially if sales are down. 

• Love 3

This Forbes article is a great review of the whole Papa Johns controversy :

https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbesdigitalcovers/2018/07/19/the-inside-story-of-papa-johns-toxic-culture/

It really goes way beyond a recent conference call where he used the 'n' word in whatever fashion, which is always stupid.  It sounds like really that was just the last straw in it all and they wanted him (John Schnatter, founder) gone. 

Its nothing shocking in the article but just reviews the, as it describes it, toxic, controlling, sexist culture and manners of the founder that no company can afford to deal with in this day and age.  Or really should have to deal with in any day or age.  Described it as a 'bro' culture where Schnatter used a close friends to do his dirty work, protect him as best possible and act as his henchman and enforcer

• Love 2

Football is  on tonight.  Football is on tonight.   I don't care if it's preseason.   I don't care that the NFL Network for some godawful reason is showing Browns v. Giants.   It's FOOTBALL.   

• Love 6

Colts preseason tonight, Andrew Luck finally has returned. 

So far his recovery is going very well, word is that he looks great at camp.  Will see if he can keep it up. 

OL is still a question mark though with the Colts due to injuries and they need to keep improving it.  THey drafted Quention nelson, so left guard is good.  Drafted another guard, but he will be playing RT for now due to injuries and Anthony Castonzo is out.  Ryan Kelly coming back from injury. 

The defensive is just full of question marks.  At least get the first chance to see what the draft picks can do tonight and if they have any potential, 

The Eagles didn’t look good 2nite, but it’s the first pre-season game.  But Bakers Mayfield looked good.  The Brownies actually won!  Ok, so it doesn’t count, but I need something to cheer abt.

Kelvin Benjamin can talk the talk...and then run away.

Cam’s push and wave to his own damn teammate cracks me up.

Also Dominique Foxworth on Twitter criticized Buffalo’s stadium music which made me laugh, even if I don’t recognize the songs to know why they would be a problem.

• Love 1

The Panthers had their best season recently the year Kelvin Benjamin was injured.  Cam was MVP and made the SB. 

Conclude what you want from that information in terms of who was holding who back in that relationship. 

Personally witnessed Benjamin cost the Panthers a game as well almost single handedly with a stupid fumble deep in their own territory with less than two minutes left in a tie game against the Chiefs.  Trying to dive or extend for useless extra yard in the two minute drill and he gives the Chiefs the ball, Chiefs kick a FG and win

• Love 4
On 7/27/2018 at 7:29 AM, Lamb18 said:

I was checking out the rookies. #7, Carlson, is a kicker and he practiced kicks for a while from the 25-yard line. He made them all. 

I watched Carlson at training camp on 7/25. He is one of my favorites among the rookies. Vikings are playing Denver right now and Carlson just kicked a 57-yard field goal. Vikings are ahead so far but Denver just made a touchdown.

On 8/17/2018 at 8:07 PM, mojoween said:

The first down graphics the stations put on the field are sponsored.  Gross.

This Davis Webb kid looks pretty good.

Hopefully he continues to improve now that he's getting the chance to play in games.

12 hours ago, Popples said:

I was cheering for that score. It was the only interesting thing about the game.

I know.  The most interesting part of the game was watching Foles trip over his own feet for a Cleveland safety.

• Love 1

Jerry Jones trying to get people to think that 18 regular season and two preseason games is safer for the players than 16 regular season and four preseason games made me roll my eyes so hard I could see my ass and my brain at the same time.

Just say the real reason, Jer...$$$$$$.

Also, WHAT is Jon Gruden doing?  Just pay the man!  If Mack goes to the Bears that’s just sad for everyone.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, mojoween said:

Jerry Jones trying to get people to think that 18 regular season and two preseason games is safer for the players than 16 regular season and four preseason games made me roll my eyes so hard I could see my ass and my brain at the same time.

Just say the real reason, Jer...$$$$$$.

Also, WHAT is Jon Gruden doing?  Just pay the man!  If Mack goes to the Bears that’s just sad for everyone.

STUPID move by the Raiders.  I cannot believe they actually traded him.  I thought it was just all posturing for contract negotiations.

Two things you absolutely must have to win in this league.  QB and pass rushers.  Mack is one of the best in the league of the latter.  You don't just give that away.  Pay the price. 

The 18 game schedule COULD be used if they made some other tweeks with minimal increased risk of injury to players.  First, you add a second bye week.  Put one about a quarter way though the season and a second one about 3/4 o the way through.  Second, these stupid Thursday night games, you either end them, since you now have two more weeks to sell on Sundays and no one likes them anyway, no fans or players or coaches or anyone except the owners, or put all teams on a Thursday game after a bye week.  I've been saying this is how it should be for years.  No more games with 3 days rest.  If you keep the Thursday games put them after a bye week. 

Still two more games, but it would minimize the increased injury risk.  And at least then season ticket holders would only be screwed out of 10% of season ticket money (9/10 games paid for being real ones) instead of 20% (8/10 games). 

Of course they would then raise season ticket prices anyway.....so that's a wash

• Love 2

I agree, a stupid move by the Raiders.  You build around a player like Mack, you don't get rid of him.  But I think it's a move that could backfire on the Bears, with the draft picks they gave up.  Of course, their recent first round picks haven't exactly been a lineup of surefire HOFers, so maybe they think why not trade the picks?  

• Love 2

This could either be a brilliant move by Gruden or his dumbest.    I have often wondered if he gets halfway through the season and goes "oh hell, this is harder than broadcasting and not as much as it used to be, I'm gone."   But if Mack doesn't do as well for the Bears or gets hurt, he looks brilliant.   Of course it's all about what they do with the picks they got for him.

As for the Bears, with the new extension for Mack they better have a long term budget plan.   That is a LOT of money to tie up in one player.    Big contracts are great, until the next player they need to re-sign comes along.   

Don't blame Mack for holding out for more money.   This is a business and careers are short.   If the owners would cut you in a red hot second (bye bye Dan Bailey), then players should do what they have to do for themselves.  

Speaking of Dan Bailey, I cannot believe the Cowboys cut him.   The second most reliable kicker in the NFL - and the first is not available.   Cowboys struggled for YEARS to find a reliable kicker.   This was not a smart move.   But what do you expect when you have a senile GM?

Edited by merylinkid
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Don't blame Mack for holding out for more money.   This is a business and careers are short.   

That's one of the things I find amusing about pro sports. If players hold out for more money, they're branded as spoiled, selfish, arrogant, not team players etc., but nobody ever gets on the owners for making business decisions in an arena that's *gasp!* a business! 

If the NFL imploded tomorrow, the owners are still billionaires. Their checks don't stop either way, but for the majority of the players this is their only livelihood. 

Trading Mack was a stupid decision. I live in Vegas and there's been so much drama over future ticket prices, rent increases, future traffic issues and issues with the stadium etc., I wish the damn team would just stay put in Oakland. They're not even here yet and I'm already sick of them.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 9

The business part of sports is so interesting to me. Especially in the NFL. You really, tomorrow, in practice, snap your knee if someone goes at you too hard and never play again. I damn well would be holding out for every cent of what I was worth AND get as much guaranteed as you can. Even in my job I scrape for every % increase each year that I can. 

• Love 13

I was thinking about Colin Kaepernick (thanks Nike!  I’ll be picking up some new kicks this weekend) and I realized that even if the owners would stop being buttholes, there are only three teams that I think Colin would fit on.

And the only reason I can come up with three, is that he would most likely get signed as a backup, so the offense would already have to be tailored to his skill set.

Green Bay, Carolina and Seattle could fit him in.  And we know he ain’t going to Seattle.

Baltimore would fit too, improbably, except they already have two of him.

But if a team’s offense is set around a pocket passer, the second team offense would have to be totally redone.  Colin’s own talents are hamstringing him.  And obviously, he’s proven he can work from the pocket, but it’s not what he’s best at.