Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

(edited)

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23582533/nfl-owners-approve-new-national-anthem-policy

ATLANTA -- NFL owners have unanimously approved a new national anthem policy that requires players to stand if they are on the field during the performance but gives them the option to remain in the locker room if they prefer, it was announced Wednesday.

The policy subjects teams to a fine if a player or any other team personnel do not show respect for the anthem. That includes any attempt to sit or kneel, as dozens of players have done during the past two seasons. Those teams will also have the option to fine any team personnel, including players, for the infraction.

All 32 owners approved the policy, which will be part of the NFL's game operations manual and thus not subject to collective bargaining. The NFL Players Association said in a statement that it will review the policy and "challenge any aspect" that is inconsistent with the CBA.

Edited by Moose135

The article also mentions:

Some important details remained unclear in the hours after the policy's approval, including the specific fine that teams would be subject to and also how the league will define respect for the flag.

• Love 2

Yeah, see, I don't believe the league has the authority to "define respect", and that seems like a workplace issue that should be negotiated. That's why I think you have to sue. This smacks of a slippery slope. 

Copied from FB (not my original idea but I love it)
"Why is one “Religious Freedom” and the other “Disrespectful to our Flag and Country”?"

33180076_10155718258923985_8785249934887616512_n.jpg

• Love 14

Jed York of the 49ers did not vote on the anthem decision.

Christopher Johnson of the Jets said the team will not take any action against players who kneel or don't, and if the team is fined, they will pay the fine.

• Love 2

Arthur Blank said raising a fist will be considered protest.

The NFLPA's biggest argument (besides workplace condition) is the League is heading on almost 100 years old.   In 2009 they began requiring teams to be out on the field due to the NFL being paid by the military for the display.    Since it was just hunky dory for almost 90 years to not even be on the field, you can't suddenly saya this is a HUGE FREAKAING deal if someone quietly kneels.   

Then there are all the camera men who are moving around to get angles and other people moving.   Are THEY being disrespectful?

The NFL opened a HUGE can of worms with this.   TWhey could have just said "we prefer players to stand respectfully but we respect their right to peacefully and quietly protest injustice."   The kneeling thing was going away anyway.   If they had just ignored it it would have died out as a protest on its own power.

BTW, what does THIS stance do to Kaepernick's collusion case.   Sure sounds like the owners agree that protests are bad.  

• Love 2

No, that's been all over the news. It's not like it's difficult to figure out the motivation here. 

This really needs to be fought with all the resources the NFLPA has just because it's such a slippery slope imo. They should be screaming racism and getting the ACLU involved. 

Plus, what if I'm a fairly rich player and offer to pay the fines for my team? 

Plus, the league needs to be taken down a peg. 

• Love 6
17 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Laurent Duvernay-Tardif of the Chiefs has just gotten his medical doctor decree.  He's the first active NFL player to be a physician.

He’s petitioning the league to put MD on the back of his jersey. Now that the story is out there, I certainly hope they let him do it, or they will look like bigger assholes.

• Love 4
58 minutes ago, Fukui San said:

Does he have the right to check on opposing players who are injured?

He would be covered under the Good Samaritan law, but who knows what private rules the NFL has. Good for him!

1 hour ago, Fukui San said:

Probably not because you still need to get a license to practice iirc. And that's state based.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Fukui San said:

He probably hasn't passed the boards he needs to take.  The first two are taken during medical school but the third is usually taken during the internship/first year of residency which he won't get to until he has finished with full time football.

But I don't know why he would do more than anyone would do since there are numerous medical professionals with more experience with sports injuries who can be out on the field in probably about the same time it'd take for him to get to the injured player.

On 5/23/2018 at 11:20 PM, mojoween said:

According to a NFL writer I saw on Twitter, there is one big fat orange reason why they are sticking their heads up their ass about this issue.  

It was so obvious and that is so sad that they were persuaded by that idiot with a hairpiece in the White House. Let the players do what they want. I’m in the military and I don’t feel one ounce of disrespect from players taking a knee during the anthem. It’s nothing against the military, it’s for social injustice against minorities. But, who cares about that shot when we have a business to attend to

• Love 13

I haaaaaated the 49ers in the late 80’s and The Catch was a few years before I started paying attention, and yet it’s still a punch in the gut to see that Dwight Clark has passed away.

On 6/5/2018 at 4:34 PM, mojoween said:

Philadelphia’s mayor is certainly doing his part.

As a 30+ year Giants fan, this kindred I have felt for the Eagles since February is dirty and unsettling.

I know.   Dammit, do not make me like the Eagles.

Signed a Cowboys Fan.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Popples said:

Patriots WR Julian Edelman facing a four-game suspension for PED violation. (Warning: site has video autoplay)

Terrell Owens declines to attend Hall of Fame enshrinement ceremony.

Does that mean they'll just give Ray Lewis longer to talk? Ugh.

Oh lord, I didn't even think of that.    Well that's reason 4334 why TO isn't going to Canton.    Two big egos on the same stage, I don't think the universe can handle it.   

• Love 2
6 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Oh lord, I didn't even think of that.    Well that's reason 4334 why TO isn't going to Canton.    Two big egos on the same stage, I don't think the universe can handle it.   

So, the article says TO visited Canton/The HOF recently and it was after that visit that he decided he wouldn't attend but instead would plan his own celebration elsewhere.  Anyone wanna bet that he wanted to be first among equals and presented a list of requirements to TPTB that they declined to meet?  I presume they wouldn't let him speak first, or get unlimited time or let him sit on a throne center stage during the ceremony or something equally self-aggrandizing, so he threw a hissy to try to get his way.  Good for the HOF for calling his bluff, reminding everyone that his decision is unprecedented and then announcing that he will not be discussed again. Famewhores gotta famewhore.

• Love 6

OK, TO has finally descended to Shatner levels of self parody with this stunt. My guess is, either they wouldn't let him have his own merch table, or he was told that if he attends the ceremony, he would no longer be eligible to play in the NFL. I really think he believes he can still play.

Or maybe he's going to use that day to start his campaign to be elected to Cooperstown.

Michael Irwin's comment in that article was priceless.

• Love 1

I've always found TO's treatment by the media to be massively hypocritical and borderline abusive, so I don't blame him for not wanting to go. It's not a requirement. So more people are making fun of him now, rather than maybe reaching out to him to talk one on one, which I think proves his point. 

I do hope the plant services at the HOF installs a heavy duty HVAC system because they're going to need to bleed out all that hot air when Lewis starts bloviating. 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, MarkHB said:

OK, TO has finally descended to Shatner levels of self parody with this stunt. My guess is, either they wouldn't let him have his own merch table, or he was told that if he attends the ceremony, he would no longer be eligible to play in the NFL. I really think he believes he can still play.

Or maybe he's going to use that day to start his campaign to be elected to Cooperstown.

Michael Irwin's comment in that article was priceless.

Apparently Induction Weekend is incredibly expensive for Inductees.   You have hotels and tickets to the ceremony for family and you are expected to have a big private party to thank everyone.    Usually the team most associated with the Inductee helps foot the bill.    Because TO nuked every team he played for on the way out the door, no team wanted to help.   He wasn't going to foot the bill himself (if he can even afford to) so he decided to not show up.   Which sure it's not a requirement, but the FANS who defended him right and left despite his behavior may have already bought tickets to see him inducted.   It's a big FU to the fans.   

He may also not have wanted to share the spotlight with the other Inductees.   Me O first and always.

(little of column A, little of column B)

• Love 7
7 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Apparently Induction Weekend is incredibly expensive for Inductees.   You have hotels and tickets to the ceremony for family and you are expected to have a big private party to thank everyone.    Usually the team most associated with the Inductee helps foot the bill.    Because TO nuked every team he played for on the way out the door, no team wanted to help.   He wasn't going to foot the bill himself (if he can even afford to) so he decided to not show up.   Which sure it's not a requirement, but the FANS who defended him right and left despite his behavior may have already bought tickets to see him inducted.   It's a big FU to the fans.   

He may also not have wanted to share the spotlight with the other Inductees.   Me O first and always.

Fair enough; I didn't realize the part about the financial outlay.  And the big bugaboo would have been the Charlie Brown moment when no one showed up at his afterparty.

• Love 2
On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 8:31 AM, merylinkid said:

Is that really a requirement though? 

How big a family do you need there and how much could some hotel rooms cost?  A couple thousand dollars?   

And he doesn't have to throw a big party.  I would bet most would understand if he didn't.   

Sounds like a lame excuse.  Like most of his excuses though, so as expected. 

But hey, it fits his history.  Huge talent, class A butthole.  why change things now?

3 hours ago, mojoween said:

While I feel like TO is acting like a shithead with his decision, any of the writers who whinge about it and yet embrace Murderin’ Ray Lewis all weekend are dead to me.

That's probably going to be all of them, but I'm with you. For all intents and purposes, it seems that TO didn't get in on the first ballot because people thought he was a jerk. I find that really troublesome because it seems like the HOF voters are kind of sending a message that a player needs to "know his place" if he's going to be voted in the hall. I don't know the demos of the voters, but that's a bad look to me. I'm surprised there's no other players calling the voters out. 

(edited)

Shocker!  The NFL is not going to allow Laurent Duvernay-Tardif to put MD on his jersey.

I swear, if there is an option, the NFL is going to pick the one with the maximum potential to piss off the masses.

They really make it difficult to defend them almost every single time.

Edit - ok I can kind of see Golic and Wingo’s point is that the NFL doesn’t want to set a precedent for anything other than a name on a jersey (like Villanueva getting Sgt. on his jersey or something like that) but still.

Edited by mojoween

I can't fault the NFL for drawing a line in the sand on the issue of what's on jerseys, even though it's laudable that Duvernay-Tardif got his MD.  You can just imagine the floodgates opening and all kinds of crazy stuff being on jerseys if they let him do that.  The way I see it, playing in the NFL is just like any other job where there are rules and policies that must be adhered to.  The only difference is that they get paid a whole helluva lot more.

• Love 1
On 6/25/2018 at 11:37 AM, Ohwell said:

You can just imagine the floodgates opening and all kinds of crazy stuff being on jerseys if they let him do that.

They already opened the door, however, when they started to allow suffixes like Jr./Sr. and specifically III (as Robert Griffin III was apparently the first to get it approved) on the backs of jerseys. As none of these players are playing with their fathers or sons, there was no reason they needed to allow it.  But they did because there was also no reason not to allow it.

They could simply create a rule stating that a player who earns a graduate degree may have their academic suffix added.  I just don't envision there will be a run on players obtaining graduate degrees while playing. 

It's an easy feel good win of a story so of course the NFL would take the worst approach. 

• Love 5

Question: Does anybody use Game Pass or know about it? I don't have cable or satellite so the only Vikings games I can watch are the ones on CBS (I have CBS All Access). I just want to watch all the Vikings games and $99 didn't seem too bad for 16 games plus playoffs (less than one month's satellite bill).

On 6/26/2018 at 11:20 PM, Irlandesa said:

They already opened the door, however, when they started to allow suffixes like Jr./Sr. and specifically III (as Robert Griffin III was apparently the first to get it approved) on the backs of jerseys. As none of these players are playing with their fathers or sons, there was no reason they needed to allow it.  But they did because there was also no reason not to allow it.

But I put names in a different category and I don't have a problem with that.  YMMV.

• Love 1

It seems TO was is skipping the HOF ceremony because he didn't like having to wait until the 3rd year to be inducted

And now the HOF has decided if he won't be there, they will just ignore his induction altogether, he won't be mentioned

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/hall-fame-executive-director-terrell-owens-wont-announced-ceremony-152409104.html

Its all pretty petty, but screw TO for being mad about not being a first ballot HOFer.  Marvin Harrison did not get in until his 3rd year, same as TO, with similar credentials and a SB title as a player.   So the idea he was being mistreated over his bad relationship with the media is ridiculous 

• Love 2
On 7/12/2018 at 1:22 PM, DrSpaceman said:

It seems TO was is skipping the HOF ceremony because he didn't like having to wait until the 3rd year to be inducted

And now the HOF has decided if he won't be there, they will just ignore his induction altogether, he won't be mentioned

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/hall-fame-executive-director-terrell-owens-wont-announced-ceremony-152409104.html

Its all pretty petty, but screw TO for being mad about not being a first ballot HOFer.  Marvin Harrison did not get in until his 3rd year, same as TO, with similar credentials and a SB title as a player.   So the idea he was being mistreated over his bad relationship with the media is ridiculous 

I'm good with the HOF skipping him as part of the actual ceremony.   He still gets his bust, etc.   But the ceremony is for the players to make speeches and thank those who helped get them there.   The gold jacket ceremony is for the players to put on the jacket for the first official time.   If he isn't there, there's no point mentioning him.     Save the time for those who appreciate the fans enough to show up.

• Love 4