Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

Any team with half a brain in need of a punter will take a look at him.

Gruden is doing a purge for some reason.    I have no idea why.   But getting rid of King was a bad idea.   Good player, still productive, young and NOT a problem off field.   What more do you want?

• Love 3

Well, RGIII plans to sign a 1-year deal with the Ravens.  I hope things work out for him.  As 'skins fan, I still have a soft spot for him even though things turned out disastrously for him here.  Sure, he was partly to blame and I hope he's learned some humility, but he got fucked over in DC.  Chris Cooley, the gossiping bitch, must be disappointed that RG has some good news. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2018/04/04/rgiii-gets-another-chance-in-the-nfl-signing-with-ravens/?utm_term=.a365990b8917

• Love 4

Aldon Smith was arraigned Thursday on three charges of violating a protective order, which was issued when he was arraigned March 12 for his original domestic violence charges stemming from a March 3 incident with his fiancée. He turned himself in on those charges on March 23 but failed to show for a court appearance two weeks ago before making his appearance Thursday. He was ordered to wear an ankle monitor, which monitors alcohol use through sweat.

Today the SF Chronicle is reporting he was re-arrested for violating conditions of the use of the ankle monitor.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/news/crime/article/Police-Ex-Raider-Aldon-Smith-violated-monitoring-12816149.php

13 hours ago, Jx223 said:

The NFL has just released the regular season schedule for this upcoming season:

http://www.nfl.com/schedules/2018

15 minutes ago, SuburbanHangSuite said:

Color me surprised that the Eagles v. Jags are a London game.  I thought the London games were always given to the scrub teams.

Two games every Monday night? Was it always this way? I’m on the East Coast, and I can’t see myself staying up till after midnight every Monday for football

17 minutes ago, SuburbanHangSuite said:

Color me surprised that the Eagles v. Jags are a London game.  I thought the London games were always given to the scrub teams.

Jags owner Shad Khan has been a big proponent of the NFL in Europe and lobbies to go there almost every year.

• Love 4

4 hours ago, SuburbanHangSuite said:

In addition to xaxat's quote above, let's not forget that until last year, the Jags were one of the scrub teams for quite some time. The Eagles are one of the few teams left who haven't made the regular season London trip and they are playing the AFC South for their non-conference games this year. 

Not positive, but doesn't home attendance also play a factor (less sell outs = London trip replaces a home game)?

• Love 1

^^^

I guess all that may be a factor.  I seem to remember a few years ago at the end of the Chip Kelly failed Philly experiment, I was hearing if we had won one fewer game, we would've had a London game the next season.  So I just assumed it was strictly related to wins/losses and it surprised me that two winning org.s were slated for the dreadful 9:30am game.  

• Love 2
On 4/20/2018 at 10:07 AM, Gurkel said:

Two games every Monday night? Was it always this way? I’m on the East Coast, and I can’t see myself staying up till after midnight every Monday for football

No, that's just for Week 1 - it's been that was for a few years at least.  The rest of the season they only have one Monday game each week.

• Love 1

I am looking forward to the draft starting tomorrow night. This is a strong QB class and there are other good players including Running Backs in it as well. I am looking forward to seeing which teams the top prospects (as well as players in general) goes to. 

It's draft day, draft day, draft day.

Who WILL the Browns take at #1.   Well their new shiny QB of the future, of course.   Until they start thinking about their next new shiny QB of the Future.

Seriously I have never seen so many analysts throw their hands in the air over a draft.

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Haven’t we learned by now that USC QB’s no longer translate to the second level?

Darnold may be the one to break that recent cycle - more Palmer than Sanchez.  I knew they weren't going to spend their number two pick on a down-the-road position, but part of me wanted the Giants to take him -- he's incredibly dedicated, he's talented, he has a low-key/unflappable personality, and he needs time to work out his inconsistencies. 

But, even though good RBs will almost certainly be available by the time the Giants pick next round, Saquon Barkley is one of the best players in the entire draft, so it's no surprise that even in this "I have no idea WTF any of these teams are going to do" year, pretty much everyone predicted that pick. 

I wish Baker Maysfield the best with the Browns.

I think that Sam Darnold to the Jets is interesting.( I had heard reports that the JEts were going to take Baker had he been available. I also heard rumors that the Giants were interested in Sam.)  I agree with the anaylsts on ESPN that Josh McCown will be a good mentor to Sam and could be good for his development. 

I think that the Bills may have been better off choosing Josh Rosen instead of Josh Allen. But they passed on him allowing the Cardinals to trade up and get him. I think that Josh Rosen could end up being one of the best QBs in this draft. 

• Love 1

I am glad that Lamar Jackson ended up being drafted in the 1st round. I was thinking that maybe the Patriots might would take him, since I heard reports they were interested/impressed by him and they had two picks in the 1st round. Once they passed over him twice, I thought that maybe he might go early in the 2nd round to the Giants. But the Ravens ended up trading to get him at the end of the 1st and I wish him well with them and in his NFL career.

• Love 1

I admit that I was extremely intrigued as to what Belichick and McDaniel might do with a mobile QB who could actually pass too Presuming Brady ever actually retired, that is.

I wonder if the Pats had any actual interest in Jackson, or if they were just trying to get the Ravens to overdraft him. If it's the latter it didn't really work.

On 4/20/2018 at 10:12 AM, xaxat said:

Jags owner Shad Khan has been a big proponent of the NFL in Europe and lobbies to go there almost every year.

ISTR that the league was trying to use the Jags to create a "home" team for London, at least at one time.

15 minutes ago, Fukui San said:

I admit that I was extremely intrigued as to what Belichick and McDaniel might do with a mobile QB who could actually pass too Presuming Brady ever actually retired, that is.

I wonder if the Pats had any actual interest in Jackson, or if they were just trying to get the Ravens to overdraft him. If it's the latter it didn't really work.

I'm not sure what the Patriots were really thinking. I did hear multiple reports about them liking/being impressed by Lamar. Lamar said he met Bill Belichick and he liked him. Even Tom Brady weighed in and said he liked Lamar. (Now granted maybe Tom did that because he doesn't think that Lamar will be starting over him anytime soon and didn't feel threatened by him.) Since they did have two picks in the 1st round, I had thought maybe they might would taken him with one of them. If Lamar hadn't been taken at the end by the Ravens tonight, I think that the Giants might have taken him with the 34th pick in the 2nd round. 

Also, I am interested in seeing what happens with Josh Rosen. He is mad that he was taken at #10 spot. He does give me, "will make other teams pay by my play" vibes. I do believe he could end up doing well and should have went before at least Josh Allen. I do think that Arizona is a good place for him.

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

Watching Shazier walk out to announce the Steelers' pick was quite a moment.

It definitely got dusty in the house.

Josh Allen. Really, Bills? I’m still mad at the stupid crap he said on social media in high school. I’m hoping Darnold does well because the past USC QBs have stunk it up in the NFL.

The Pats still have plenty of QBs to pick from in the second round. Maybe the guy from OK state, or Luke Falk.

If any team was surprised by what Josh Allen said on his social media in high school, they REALLY weren't scouting well.   It's not like the twitter account was locked down.

Now, my problem is - is Josh Allen really an improvement over Tyrod Taylor who they traded away?   I don't think so.   

So glad Lamar Jackson went in the first round.   Flacco is getting fragile, Jackson is a good guy to have behind him when he goes down.   

Baker Mayfield to the Browns.   Because their last new shiny QB (see Tyrod Taylor) didn't even see the field before they moved on.   AND he was the replacement for the previous new shiny QB that they drafted 1 year ago.    

Baker Mayfield.........29th time is a charm for the Browns?  I wouldn't count on it. 

Glad the Colts got Quenton Nelson.  Badly needed OL help.  They could even get Will Hernandez now in round two and solidy the interior OL for the next decade, which would be amazing since they have had OL problem going all the way back to the end of the Manning era.  And they could even get Chubb from Georgia as well at running back. 

Really wanted Chubb from NC State at DE but not surprised Denver took him one spot ahead

Great spot to be in for round two, they got a great pick, a top 3 overall draft talent, and now due to the trade down have 3 of the next 17 picks. 

I love the guys who come out to try to wind up the crowd like Justin Tuck (come back Justin!  I bet you can still play) but I was quite puzzled by Nate Burleson.

I felt badly for Jerry Kramer when he was like “yeah Ice Bowl fans” because I bet there are a fair amount of people there who are like “guh?  Ice Bowl?”

However I felt even MORE badly for Vince Young who somehow made Harold into Honor.

Ok I concede, David Akers.  You win.

• Love 1

BWAH!  As a Giants fan, I hate the Eagles, too, but I hate the Cowboys more, so watching Philadelphia move in front of Dallas to pick the player they wanted, and lead into that with, "Hey, Dallas, the last time you were in the Super Bowl, these draft picks hadn't been born"?  I can't even feel my cramps anymore.

• Love 5

How Redskins Used Cheerleaders: Topless Photo Shoots and an Uneasy Night Out

When the Washington Redskins took their cheerleading squad to Costa Rica in 2013 for a calendar photo shoot, the first cause for concern among the cheerleaders came when Redskins officials collected their passports upon arrival at the resort, depriving them of their official identification.

For the photo shoot, at the adults-only Occidental Grand Papagayo resort on Culebra Bay, some of the cheerleaders said they were required to be topless, though the photographs used for the calendar would not show nudity. Others wore nothing but body paint. Given the resort’s secluded setting, such revealing poses would not have been a concern for the women — except that the Redskins had invited spectators.

A contingent of sponsors and FedExField suite holders — all men — were granted up-close access to the photo shoots.

That seems pretty close to the way sex traffickers operate.

• Love 7

Once their passports were seized, there was no way to say no.   And they could't just quit.   Because passports.   Can't leave without that. 

This is horrible.   The cheerleaders have been pushing back against working conditions for a while but this is the worst part.

• Love 2

According to sources like Adam Schefter on Twitter, the Browns will be the team that is featured on "Hard Knocks" this upcoming season. I think that will be interesting. 

NFLPA has to sue, right? Not only is this a few old white rich dudes telling a large community of mostly African-American men how to behave, it's also unconstitutional. 

• Love 8

The NFLPA is going to sue.   It's a workplace condition.   It HAS to be bargained for.   The problem is -- the owners don't want to have to give up anything in exchange for the players agreeing to not kneel.   How about Goodell not having the final say on discipline if its so importnt to the owners that players not kneel.   Sounds fair to me.

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

It's a workplace condition.   It HAS to be bargained for. 

I was thinking more along those lines too. Even though the NFL is a private corporation, I think it still is excessive in restricting speech, but that's not the strongest argument. 

Or just not play the anthem at every single thing all the time in this country. I feel good enough about my patriotism that I don't need to proclaim it every five minutes. 

• Love 2