Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, mojoween said:

Shots fired!

His entire timeline is super interesting.

I doubt they ever have because I cannot imagine any coach or GM "promising" a player they would make the team if it was in the least bit questionable. 

If you are a, lets be kind and use the adjective "marginal" QB like Sage Rosenfels, you get cut a lot.  I doubt any coach or GM every made a promise to him they'd be on the team though. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Crs97 said:

Of course his agent had to fire him or the agent loses all credibility and can no longer effectively represent his other clients.  Did I read correctly that he was agent both for McDaniels and the Colts GM?  How does that work (other than not well in this case)?

I’m sure Ballard told the agent to fire McDaniels or else he’d be walking, and since the agent probably gets a bigger commission from a GM contract.... It does fundamentally seem like a conflict of interest though—you wouldn’t think it would be allowed.

I actually suspect that most coaches make promises they don’t keep to players on a not-irregular basis. I actually really don’t like James Harrison, but no one from the Steelers has refuted his story that the coaches promised him he’d have a role in the D only to dress him for what, like 3 of 12 games?

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Constantinople said:

Fortunately the Colts and the Patriots will face each other in the regular season next year

Is it really fortunate, though?  Every darn football show will be filled with Brady v. Manning, deflategate and now McDaniels. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, stealinghome said:

It does fundamentally seem like a conflict of interest though—you wouldn’t think it would be allowed.

The real conflict of interest was the same agent represents both Jack Del Rio and Jon Gruden.   Talk about AWKWARD.   And possibly unethical.   How do you negotiate the best deal for Gruden, but not also look out for Del Rio's interests and warn him Gruden has already been hired?

Edited by merylinkid
  • Love 2

The Golic and Wingo show sent a producer to Philly to cover the parade.

He’s been at a Wawa since 6 a.m. or earlier and it sounds like a ... fun ... time.

I’ve heard Dilly Dilly more than I ever expected to on this show.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, stealinghome said:

I’m sure Ballard told the agent to fire McDaniels or else he’d be walking, and since the agent probably gets a bigger commission from a GM contract.... It does fundamentally seem like a conflict of interest though—you wouldn’t think it would be allowed.

I actually suspect that most coaches make promises they don’t keep to players on a not-irregular basis. I actually really don’t like James Harrison, but no one from the Steelers has refuted his story that the coaches promised him he’d have a role in the D only to dress him for what, like 3 of 12 games?

That's completely different than telling him he'd have a role and then cutting him. 

There are always going to be disagreements with how much playing time a player will get between players and coaches.  That is not what happened here, different situation altogether.

ANd lets not act like players have NO leverage and never do this either.    Every single year some star player on a rookie contract or underpaid contract tries to hold out for more money and a new contract.  Or they threaten to sit out if they get a franchise tag. 

And I seriously doubt Ballard told his agent to fire McDaniels.  The agent told McDaniels this was the biggest mistake of his career to change his mind and turn down the job.  Ballard didn't have to tell him anything

Plus in the the end, this is not about McDaniels accepting verbally and then backing out.  If he had done that one week, even two weeks into the process, its disappointing, but fine, changed your mind, I understand

This was a month of making a team believe you were with them, to the point you have half a group or more of assistants lined up, then you back out.   I realize he can't sign a contract until after the season is over,  but he can't make a decision in a month about this? 

And this is going to hurt other coaches chances in the future of head coaching jobs if they go deep in the playoffs.  The league has gone back and forth about this in terms of interviewing and contracts before the season is all over for a coach.  Used to be no interviews until they were done.  Then it changes to current state of you can interview  but obviously no contracts  After this, teams are going to be very hesitant to wait this long for a coach and take the chance it happens again.  Not saying they won't do it, but its going to be less likely. 

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Love 1
28 minutes ago, mojoween said:

He’s been at a Wawa since 6 a.m. or earlier and it sounds like a ... fun ... time.

The players are definitely ready...

• Love 4
36 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I could spend all day at a Wawa regardless of a parade, I type as I'm sucking down a Wawa coffee and eating a Sizzli.....

• Love 6
37 minutes ago, mojoween said:

My son and his friends (and a parent, thank God) caught a train to Philly from our small neighboring state at 6 this morning. I wish him luck 

• Love 2
41 minutes ago, mojoween said:

What were Pats and Genos to packed ? ?

For people who grew up in the Philly /South Jersey who moved out of town and come back for a visit Wawa is usually one of the  first places they visit 

2 minutes ago, bosawks said:

I could spend all day at a Wawa regardless of a parade, I type as I'm sucking down a Wawa coffee and eating a Sizzli.....

I love a good Sizzli...

• Love 2
57 minutes ago, Fukui San said:

Man, they should've made him a Goodell Clown Nose tie for the occasion.

I think McDaniels was supposed to bring him one but at the last minute he changed his mind.......

• Love 10

I believe I read that Jimmy has thrown 12 touchdown passes in his career, so that’s over 10 mil per TD.  Hey.  If someone is going to give you the money, why would you NOT take it?

On an unrelated note, I'm pretty sure Jason Kelce is the hero we need.  I wish he were a Giant.

• Love 7
19 minutes ago, mojoween said:

On an unrelated note, I'm pretty sure Jason Kelce is the hero we need.  I wish he were a Giant.

He most certainly is. I'm positive if  he ran for mayor in Philly right now he would win hands down. That speech was amazing . I loved him calling put Mike Lombardi by name. The Mummers outfit was awesome. I felt bad for the guy that had to follow him.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

I believe I read that Jimmy has thrown 12 touchdown passes in his career, so that’s over 10 mil per TD.  Hey.  If someone is going to give you the money, why would you NOT take it?

Oh, if I’m Garoppolo, I absolutely take the money and run to the bank! It’s just crazy that a guy who hasn’t even started half an NFL season got paid that contract. The 49ers are screeeeeewed (and Lynch so incredibly fired) if he’s anything less than an All-Pro for like 10 seasons. As it is, I just don’t know enough about SF’s salary cap situation—what will this do to their ability to sign FAs/retain homegrown talent?

• Love 1

As one of my favorite follows on Twitter likes to point out, contracts aren't paying a player for what they've done; they're being paid for what the player is expected to do.  Jimmy G is at the end of his contract.  The 49ers know the importance of finding their QB and they think they've found him.  So it's either give him a big contract or franchise tag him at about 26 (?) million.  I think that's about he got and the price will only go up. 

• Love 2
51 minutes ago, Popples said:

Think they lucked out here.   McDaniels was the "hot" guy so they jumped on him.   Without really thinking through his time in Denver.    So they had to start all over but the "hot" guys were gone.   Which means they had to look beyond the recycled head coaches.  So they had to look a little harder and think outside the usual guys.    I think Reich will turn out to be a great choice (see my standings in the pool to see what my opinion is worth).  

3 hours ago, mojoween said:

The Raiders are apparently going to let SeaBass go.  I can’t believe he was drafted 18 years ago.  My son was 2!

Sam Darnold was 2 when SeaBass and Tom Brady were drafted, and Darnold is expected to be playing in the same NFL as Brady.

• Love 2

Adam Vinatieri signed a one year contract to continue kicking for the Colts.   He has known kicked for the Colts 2 years longer than he played for the Pats.   But all anyone remembers is the snow plow clearing the space for him to kick in the playoffs for the Pats.

I can’t believe he’s a year older than I am.  I mean, he is legit old enough to be the father to the kids who are in next seasons rookie class.  Actually, he could have been the dad for like the last five classes.

They said on Golic and Wingo he’s walking in the HOF but not first ballot and that’s ridiculous.

• Love 5
11 hours ago, mojoween said:

They said on Golic and Wingo he’s walking in the HOF but not first ballot and that’s ridiculous.

Because kickers aren't seen as "real" football players.   So it takes a bit to get them into the HOF.   Which is STUPID.   You try kicking a ball accurately, really really far while big guys are running at you.

• Love 10
20 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Adam Vinatieri signed a one year contract to continue kicking for the Colts.   He has known kicked for the Colts 2 years longer than he played for the Pats.   But all anyone remembers is the snow plow clearing the space for him to kick in the playoffs for the Pats.

And that didn't happen :) , at least not in the "tuck rule" snow game against the Raiders that was the last at the old stadium.  The snowplow was in the early 80's when John Smith was kicking.  But Automatic Adam was there long enough to beat Gino Cappelletti for the title of all-time Patriots leading scorer (Gino was in the press box at the time, doing color for the radio broadcast alongside The Legendary Gil Santos, and saluted Adam when he broke the record).  Gostkowski has since broken Adam's record.

• Love 3

Remember Jonathan Martin?   The guy who quit football for being bullied on the Dolphins?   A whole big investigation resulted, there were suspensions.   NOW there was a book where he was fined for being a "pussy."   So SOME truth to it.   However, apparently he has ... issues.   Despite school shootings being all over the news as A Bad Thing.   This moron decides to post a photo on instagram with a gun talking about school shootings and bullying.  He also names Richie Icognito and Michael Pouncey in his post.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/02/23/jonathan-martin-taken-custody-tags-dolphins-richie-incognito-gun-instagram?utm_campaign=sinow&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&xid=socialflow_twitter_si

Now, bullying ain't right.   But this is NOT the way to handle it.    At the very least I hope he gets some help.  Although to be very very clear, as far as I can tell no crime has been committed here.   There was no threat of imminent danger.   There was no statement of actual imminent action to be taken by him or anybody.   Unless he owns the gun illegally that would be it.