Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

I had no idea an Eagles victory could make me this happy, but I'm fucking thrilled.  That was a great game; if I actually liked the Eagles, rather than just rooting against the Patriots with every fiber of my being, I'd be almost as euphoric as the two times the Giants beat them. 

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 13
11 minutes ago, Fukui San said:

No idea. We expected to lose Malcolm after this year, but now we REALLY expect to lose him.

Yeah, there’s absolutely no way he sticks around after tonight. Guess the Pats are in the market for a solid #2 corner again.... ‘Cause Rowe ain’t it.

• Love 1

Wow, I'm still in shock. I expected then Pats to win because they are the Pats, but kudos to the Eagles and Doug for balls the size of Texas. Going for it at your own 40? That crazy touchdown call on 4th and goal? The only thing that almost bit them in the ass was going for 2 so early in the game. 

I am so happy for Eagles fans and their first SB win. I know that Belichick and Brady have won 5 SBs, but I'm still laughing my ass off at their pain. Retire already! 

Edited by twoods
  • Love 7

As a Steelers fan (I'm originally from Pgh) I was rooting for the Eagles. Also, I've lived in the middle of Eagles territory for the last 30 years. The friends I watched the game with all grew up as Eagles fans-they were literally crying with joy and I'm happy for them. It was a heck of a game. Congrats Eagles!!

• Love 11

Huh.  Good for him!  All I remember is that Ray Handley tried to make a QB competition out of Simms and Hostetler that was not so much.

Ray Handley: I make Ben McAdoo look like a genius.

Pink’s  national anthem was really good.  And apparently she has the flu, she spit out a cough drop right before singing.  Celebrities- they’re just like us!

• Love 3

The Patriots really played a terrible game for about 65% of the game, while the Eagles (outside of the one interception) played very consistently and well and more than earned that win.  They played to win, while the Patriots just didn't (their defense could barely get a stop to save their lives).  I can't believe Brady threw for so many yards when he seemed to me to be playing pretty terribly for so much of the game.

Congrats to all the Eagles fans!

• Love 6
8 hours ago, topanga said:

Did anyone watch Justin’s performance? I wasn’t interested at all, so I skipped it 

I guess this is Off-Topic, but his performance is getting lousy reviews this morning.  Buzzfeed said he looked like a "bitcoin millionaire", other people were mad at him for the song duet with Prince's Hologram.

Personally, I enjoyed his dancing and liked the fun of his performance of "Cant Stop the Feeling" :)  But, I did not think his show was as spectacular as Lady GaGa's or Katy Perry's or Bruno Mars.

• Love 4

What does a bitcoin millionaire look like? I thought it was entertaining because I like his music. If Prince wasn't mentioned in his home state, people would have been pissed. You're never going to make everyone happy. I wish Brittany popped up for a song and dance number- that really would have made the Gen Xers freak out.

I'm sure half of Philadelphia called in sick today. The Eagles are like the Vikings and having to make a big decision about QBs in the offseason. Foles is definitely not going to be a backup, but wondering if he's going to end up in Denver or Cleveland. Maybe Buffalo?

• Love 2

Justin was fine.  There were some sound issues in the beginning but the dancing was impressive.  I just wish he had done fewer songs.  Just as he got into one song, he moved onto the next.  I think the biggest disappointment is that I think a lot of people, including yours truly, thought he'd have a special guest star in the form of either Janet Jackson or N'Sync so the fact that there weren't any surprises was kind of--meh.  (And that's funny to me because normally I think too many guests take away from the performance.

32 minutes ago, twoods said:

Foles is definitely not going to be a backup, but wondering if he's going to end up in Denver or Cleveland. Maybe Buffalo?

It'll be interesting to see if they trade him.  I think the Eagles must realize the value of a good backup QB right now. 

• Love 3
12 hours ago, mojoween said:

Jeff Hostetler and Doug Williams were Nick Foles before he was Nick Foles.  I don’t know how things turned out for Williams, but Hostetler just kind of faded away.

How funny that the Pats never once punted and lost anyways.

We got Doug here.  He's the Redskins Sr. VP. of Player Personnel.

What happened to the defenses?  Both teams moved up and down the field at will it seemed.

Malcolm Butler didn’t start and it showed, still scratching my head over that one.

Eagles played a great game and my hats off to Nick Foles, and dang, every Pats SuperBowl is a barn burner. 

The Hail Mary was literally which way the ball bounces, this time it bounced away from the  lunging Pats.

1151 offensive yards?  Insane.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 1

Defense wins championships, baby!

Most of the time.  Not this time, really.  But all of the other times.  Except when it didn’t.

Malcolm Butler was super salty in one of the interviews I heard.  Can’t wait to hear more of the story behind his benching.

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, xaxat said:

So both football Evil Empires lost their respective championship games.

That's a pretty good way to start the sporting year.

If you're talking about College Football, Alabama won in pretty stunning fashion in January. I don't think the losing team Georgia qualifies as an evil empire.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Fukui San said:

If you're talking about College Football, Alabama won in pretty stunning fashion in January. I don't think the losing team Georgia qualifies as an evil empire.

Oops, you're right.

I'm still in denial.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, ganesh said:

I heard on SB Nation radio that he was out late and got caught with weed. 

If that's all it was and he refused to play him in the game, BB is not as bright as I thought. 

I can see not starting him, but just not playing him at all?  Stupid

• Love 1

Part of the reason why the Pats are so successful (and I hate them with all my being) is that they run a tight, tight ship.  There is the "Patriot Way" and if  you don't follow it, buh--bye.  Its been that way forever and a player who has been there for a couple years should know that.  And if they don't, this is a warning shot that Darth Hoodie would rather lose a damn Super Bowl that break his own rules.  You want that ring, guys, you toe the damn line.  I respect Darth for that.

• Love 11

Amidst all the excitement for the SB (congrats to the Eagles and their fans!) we Colts fans got the devastating news that our promising young linebacker, Edwin Jackson, was killed by a drunk driver early Sun morning. Heartbreaking.

edited to add:. Another gentleman was also killed-- the Uber driver. His death is just as tragic.

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 3
9 minutes ago, stillhere1900 said:

I felt really bad for "Tom Terrific"

Him sitting on the sideline with his head down like that, was sad.

I never felt bad for him until his press conference, when his red eyes made it obvious that he’d been crying. I thought, Oh. So he’s not a robot. 

But he was still gracious and classy, even in defeat. 

• Love 1
38 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Amidst all the excitement for the SB (congrats to the Eagles and their fans!) we Colts fans got the devastating news that our promising young linebacker, Edwin Jackson, was killed by a drunk driver early Sun morning. Heartbreaking.

Yes, I was so sorry to hear about that, and it's really unfortunate that the story kind of got lost in the news because of the SB.

I would expect that any athlete would be gracious and classy in defeat (yeah, I know some of them aren't) so I don't give Brady any gold stars for acting like he should have.  

He really did look funny running down the field trying to catch the ball.

30 minutes ago, topanga said:

32 minutes ago, topanga said:

I would expect that any athlete would be gracious and classy in defeat (yeah, I know some of them aren't) so I don't give Brady any gold stars for acting like he should have.  

He really did look funny running down the field trying to catch the ball.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

He really did look funny running down the field trying to catch the ball

True, but I’d never seen Brady that obviously emotional (or post-emotional).

Also in teaching her crying children a life lesson, Gisele said “sometimes you have to let the other team win.”

She needs to just stop. 

The Colts story is beyond sad.  Jackson was apparently in an Uber or Lyft and felt sick, so the driver stopped to help him and when they got out of the car the drunk driver hit them, killing both.  He then tried to flee the scene.  Jackson was only 26, I can’t remember how old the rideshare driver was.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Also in teaching her crying children a life lesson, Gisele said “sometimes you have to let the other team win.”

She needs to just stop. 

Here's the money quote: "When daughter Viviane lamented "the Eagles won the Super Bowl," the Brazilian supermodel replied, "Just this time. Daddy won five times. They never won before. Their whole life, they never won a Super Bowl."

Do supermodels take classes in shade, or is it just one of their natural gifts?

Edited by AimingforYoko
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, AimingforYoko said:

Here's the money quote: "When daughter Viviane lamented "the Eagles won the Super Bowl," the Brazilian supermodel replied, "Just this time. Daddy won five times. They never won before. Their whole life, they never won a Super Bowl."

Do supermodels take classes in shade, or is it just one of their natural gifts?

She didn't say anything that was untrue.

I just saw something about this on Daily Mail TV. The story was about how Gisele was comforting her and Bridget Moynahan kids, saying that *it's okay because daddy has won many times and it was someone elses turn to win.

I see it as teaching the kids that no matter how good you are, you're not going to win every game/contest you play, and it's okay

How is that "throwing shade" ?

Edited by stillhere1900
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, basiltherat said:

And if they don't, this is a warning shot that Darth Hoodie would rather lose a damn Super Bowl that break his own rules.  You want that ring, guys, you toe the damn line.  I respect Darth for that.

The follow up was that Malcolm went off on the coaches, so maybe that it was did it. Bill is still hardcore though. 

1 hour ago, Haleth said:

Tragic, reading about him in the Star this morning, he was well loved, a young man full of enthusiasm for life.  Meanwhile, I guess Josh McDaniels will show up in Indy?

If—big if—the Butler story is true, I have to think he’s had a bunch of minor transgressions up to now and this is the straw that broke the camel’s back. A couple years ago Chandler Jones got baked on synthetic weed and showed up shirtless at a police station not even a full week before the AFCCG, and I don’t think he was disciplined playing time-wise at all. 

Regardless of the reason for the benching, at minimum I do think BB erred by not telling the team Butler wasn’t playing until like an hour before kickoff. You could see in the postgame interviews that Butler’s teammates were still trying to process the decision even after the game in a way that I think was distinct from losing the game. Who knows if it would have made a difference—it very well may not have—but why introduce an unnecessary distraction or focus-splitter right before the game?

• Love 1

When daughter Viviane lamented "the Eagles won the Super Bowl," the Brazilian supermodel replied, "Just this time. Daddy won five times. They never won before."

"Their whole life, they never won a Super Bowl. You have to let someone else win sometimes," Bündchen said of the Eagles, who brought home their first Lombardi Trophy on Sunday.  

Giselle for all the prizes for Mother of the year and Wife of the year...

BTW, she personally congratulated some of the Eagles players for their win.

• Love 2

I don't have a problem with what she said. She was telling her daughter not to feel bad about her father because he's already won, and most of the Eagles never had. I would have said the same thing. 

• Love 1

I take those as two separate things.  Consoling your children is one thing.  Telling them you have to “let” the other team win?  No.  The Pats did not let the Eagles win.  The Pats were beaten, and that, to me, is a big difference.

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I take those as two separate things.  Consoling your children is one thing.  Telling them you have to “let” the other team win?  No.  The Pats did not let the Eagles win.  The Pats were beaten, and that, to me, is a big difference.

Yeah, how about telling the kids that 'today the other team was better and that sometimes happens'.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Haleth said:

edited to add:. Another gentleman was also killed-- the Uber driver. His death is just as tragic.

And one of the vics was actually thrown into highway traffic and hit beneath a responding cop car (whom happened to be driving by).

Just terrible for both men & their families.

I know I’m going to sound like “someone let grandma out again” but what exactly is “Free Meek?”  Like I get that Meek Mill is a thing, and that was the Eagles walk-up music, but I don’t understand why he (they?) needs to be freed.  Shut up, I’m old.

I’m seeing it in all the Philly SB coverage, usually in a snarky fashion, but I can’t find an explanation.

• Love 1

I don't have a problem with what Gisele said, even with the "let" comment.  I didn't get the impression she was using "let" as in you sometimes have to throw the game but rather "let" in the sense that sometimes it happens. 

• Love 3
30 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I don't have a problem with what Gisele said, even with the "let" comment.  I didn't get the impression she was using "let" as in you sometimes have to throw the game but rather "let" in the sense that sometimes it happens. 

Yeah, on its own, the second part of what she said is awful, and it would have been much better to say "sometimes other people win" or "sometimes you have to accept that someone else won" or something like that.  I don't know anything about her, so maybe the "let" was literal, and she's a total jerk, but maybe it was just awkward phrasing.  Coming right on the heels of the first part of what she said, which sounds like nothing other than a way of saying, "it's okay, Daddy has won plenty of times, and hey, isn't it kind of nice that these guys won for the first time in the team's whole history," I tend to think it's the latter. 

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

I agree.