Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

Alex Smith better thank his lucky stars though! I can believe Reid likes Smith enough he wouldn’t subject him to the Browns even if their offer was somewhat better.

I also saw speculation that Cousins would go to Cleveland and just started laughing. Cousins would have to be the world’s biggest nitwit when he could also go to (for example) Denver or even the Jets.

Are the Jets really a better situation for a QB than the Browns, though? Let's think about it.

The Browns have picks #1 and #4. If you sign with them, that can be turned to Sequan Barkley, a top WR pick, and more help as well. The O-Line wasn't catastrophic last year, and there's talent on the defense. Their biggest issue on offense was QB play.

The Jets have pick #6. If you sign with them, you can get one impact offensive player, or a trade down for a couple of lower tier picks. The OL is pretty mediocre to bad. The running backs are aging. Their breakout WR was recently arrested and unruly towards the cops. You do get Quincy Enunwa back, though.

Coachingwise, both situations are dubious at best. The Jets fired their O-coordinator. Hue Jackson is the weirdest power broker in the league. Who goes through a 0-16 season and ends up with more power than he had before the season? Hue Jackson, I guess.

As for the Broncos, they have the best roster right now, but to sign Cousins they would have to clear major cap space, cutting Talib, Emmanual Sanders and other key players. They may have seen their window closed.

If I were Cousins, I'd see if I could displace the entire Minnesota triumvirate of now Free Agent QBs. I'd be in a place with the best defense in the league, a returning Dalvin Cook, and receivers who seem to be very good at football. The three encumbent QBs all have questions marks. The Vikings seem to have a good deal of cap space to boot.

So if I had to guess where Cousins will end up, I'd probably say the Jets. But I think he should go to the Vikings for his own sake. He should ask himself "Do I want to be throwing to Thielen and Diggs? Or to Mystery Meat with the Jets or Browns?"

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Fukui San said:

Are the Jets really a better situation for a QB than the Browns, though? Let's think about it.

The Browns have picks #1 and #4. If you sign with them, that can be turned to Sequan Barkley, a top WR pick, and more help as well. The O-Line wasn't catastrophic last year, and there's talent on the defense. Their biggest issue on offense was QB play.

The Jets have pick #6. If you sign with them, you can get one impact offensive player, or a trade down for a couple of lower tier picks. The OL is pretty mediocre to bad. The running backs are aging. Their breakout WR was recently arrested and unruly towards the cops. You do get Quincy Enunwa back, though.

Coachingwise, both situations are dubious at best. The Jets fired their O-coordinator. Hue Jackson is the weirdest power broker in the league. Who goes through a 0-16 season and ends up with more power than he had before the season? Hue Jackson, I guess.

As for the Broncos, they have the best roster right now, but to sign Cousins they would have to clear major cap space, cutting Talib, Emmanual Sanders and other key players. They may have seen their window closed.

If I were Cousins, I'd see if I could displace the entire Minnesota triumvirate of now Free Agent QBs. I'd be in a place with the best defense in the league, a returning Dalvin Cook, and receivers who seem to be very good at football. The three encumbent QBs all have questions marks. The Vikings seem to have a good deal of cap space to boot.

So if I had to guess where Cousins will end up, I'd probably say the Jets. But I think he should go to the Vikings for his own sake. He should ask himself "Do I want to be throwing to Thielen and Diggs? Or to Mystery Meat with the Jets or Browns?"

If Cleveland was a competent organization, you are right, they would have the opportunity to turn things around. 

But then if they were a competent organization, they wouldn't have the #1 and 4 draft picks this year and would not be in position where they are picking in the top 5 seemingly every year. 

The assumption they will actually use those #1 and 4 draft picks, and make other moves to improve, is where it falls apart to argue they are in a better position

Of course its not like the Jets organization is full of Football Einsteins either, but then we are having the classic "tallest m*****" argument. 

• Love 3

30 for 30 is airing a new episode tonight (on ESPN at 9:00 pm EST) called the "Two Bills" about Bill Parcells and Bill Belichick if anyone is interested in watching that. While I am definitely not a Patriots fan, ESPN has produced several excellent 30 for 30s programs. This one might actually end up being interesting as well. 

https://www.cnn.com/2018/01/31/entertainment/the-two-bills-review/index.html

Edited by Jx223
21 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

The assumption they will actually use those #1 and 4 draft picks, and make other moves to improve, is where it falls apart to argue they are in a better position

It's not how many picks they have -- it's who they pick with those picks.   Then knowing what to DO with those players picked that matters.   They pick some good players.   I think Kizer will be fine as QB.   IF you give him a line to keep him from getting killed.   If you have multiple QBs going out of a single game with injuries, it's not the QBs, it's the protection.    As long as Hue Jackson is the coach, they can have every single pick in the draft and will still lose.

In Super Bowl news -- Gronk cleared from concussion protocol.   Please observe my shocked face.  

• Love 1

Hmmm... so Aaron Rogers is pissed he wasn’t consulted or notified his QB Coach Van Pelt was going to be let go.  With both the OC and DC gone and the GM, Packers certainly did housecleaning.

However I thought Van Pelt wanted to go so I find it puzzling Rogers had no idea.  Nobody including Van Pelt gave him a heads up?

• Love 1
5 hours ago, bosawks said:

I work at a center for people with disabilities here in Philadelphia and we had a pep rally today.  Hundreds of people in green and dog masks flapping their arms to their best ability and singing “Fly Eagles Fly” to the best of their ability was fantastic!

Win or lose this is what the best of sports is about, the shared joy of a community.

And I thank the Eagles for the past two weeks that I got to share with those I provide services for.

That's so awesome.  

I work for a school district in South Jersey and every school had a pep rally today.  Kids singing Eagles themed lyrics to the Underdog song, green/white/black water bottle noise makers, dog masks, and teachers getting slimed (penny wars to help raise money for families in need). To say nothing of adorable first graders spontaneously breaking out in the Eagles chant at lunch.  This past week has been bonkers.  Crossing my fingers that we can carry it over to Monday.  

#FlyEaglesFly

• Love 8
51 minutes ago, mojoween said:

You wouldn’t think The NFL Network could make a riveting hour long program about one Catch from SB XLII.

You would be wrong.

That was the year that Dallas crushed the Giants in the playoffs and then went on to lose to the Pats in the Super Bowl, right?

• Love 1

Sorry Mark but replays show indisputable video evidence...

Now I know why that show was on last night.  Obvs I know it happened in 2008 but the beginning of this year has been hazy for me so until I looked at my Page-A-Day Giants calendar for February 3, it didn’t occur to me that it’s been a decade.  Good times!

• Love 4
12 hours ago, mojoween said:

You wouldn’t think The NFL Network could make a riveting hour long program about one Catch from SB XLII.

You would be wrong.

I used to watch NFL Network religiously. I'd watch every episode of NFL Total Access with Rich Eisen and Adam Schefter.

I'd watch all the NFL Films specials that the NFL Network aired, both past and present. It really sparked my interest in the game.

But I haven't watched it in years. It just became all talking head programming. All day.

I haven't really watched anything NFL Films-related in a while. I used to make it a point of watching America's Game each year, but I haven't watched it in years.

Watching The Two Bills on ESPN made me recall how much I miss NFL Films.

• Love 2

The problem with TO getting in is that Packers fans have to see that touchdown catch again and again and again.  Show the fucking fumble by Rice too - acknowledge one of the major reasons there's instant replay.  

Very happy for Jerry Kramer, and glad he was still alive when it happened.  These are the HOF players from the Packers who played with Kramer for most of his career:  Bart Starr, Dave Robinson, Forrest Gregg, Henry Jordan, Herb Adderley, Jim Ringo, Jim Taylor, Paul Hornung, Ray Nitschke, Willie Davis, and Willie Wood.  And let's not forget that coach named Lombardi.  I wish I could remember the 1960s better - what a group to watch.  I'm old enough to remember the Ice Bowl and the first 2 Super Bowls, but not the earlier Lombardi-era championships.    

• Love 1

The great thing about Twitter is that it's forced awards shows to go live.

I think the Oscars went live coast to coast before Twitter, but the Emmys stopped tape-delaying to the West Coast during the Twitter era (which is absurd that people living in Hollywood couldn't watch the show live.

The Grammys finally went live one or two years ago, after West Coast viewers complained that they were being spoiled on Twitter.

Even Saturday Night Live started broadcasting live coast to coast last year because their sketches would surface on the web within minutes of their East Coast airing. (Or, say, Larry David's surprise first time as Bernie Sanders would be old news by the time it aired on the West Coast.

Which brings me to the NFL Honors.

Because it's broadcast on the Super Bowl host network, instead of ESPN or NFL Network, the NFL Honors is tape-delayed. It's tape-delayed to the East and West Coast.

I think, by the time it'll air tonight on the West Coast, it will be 6 hours old.

I wish the NFL Honors was a live event so I don't have to learn about the winners on Twitter. Or learn about host Rob Riggle referring to Mark Davis' haircut as a "Super Bowl" on Twitter. I wish I could watch it live.

Oh, and NFL Honors on NBC means that SNL won't be live on the West Coast tonight. Damnit!

hiGYVGX.png

UPDATE: NFL Honors tapes at 3 pm PT/6 pm ET, so it is indeed 6 hours old by the time it airs on the West Coast.

Kfz90Ts.png

Edited by nowandlater

And it’s three hours old on the east!  And the actual NFL Network sent out alerts on every award.  Luckily I noticed what was happening after the first one so I stopped looking at my phone.

When he was announced last I was hoping that Murderin’ Ray actually didn’t make it, but no, he was last so he could walk out like a jackass and make it all about him.

TO wasn’t there?  What else could he have possibly going on?  

12 minutes ago, mojoween said:

TO wasn’t there?  What else could he have possibly going on?  

He was at a basketball game. I'm trying to find the tweet, but some sportswriter tried to ask him about the HOF selection, and he said he couldn't reply because of that. His tweet to POS Jason Whitlock was pretty good though.

Found the tweet:

Edited by Popples
Added Tweet
  • Love 1

Ahh thanks!

TO has this going for him...I'm pretty sure Donovan McNabb won't be joining him in the HOF.

I’ve actually found TO to be an interesting follow on Twitter, and think he was HOF-worthy for on the field production, but it won’t change the fact that he could not have been more of a dick to Jeff Garcia.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, mojoween said:

“The Timeline” And “A Football Life” are still really good.  I think you can tell that some of the producers must have worked with Steve Sabol.

I find A Football Life slow and extremely boring. 

And I generally love anything about the history of football

The NFL has always released the award winners before the show.   Why I don't know.   The only reason anyone watches an award show is to find out who won.   If you know already, there is no point in watching.    The one thing the usually machinelike PR of the NFl gets very very wrong.

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

The NFL has always released the award winners before the show.   Why I don't know.   The only reason anyone watches an award show is to find out who won.   If you know already, there is no point in watching.    The one thing the usually machinelike PR of the NFl gets very very wrong.

I miss the pre-NFL Honors days when they would announce it in a live press conference. And then they'd have to track down the people, and then you get raw emotions like what you saw of Randy Moss on Twitter.

Rob Riggle's monologue is just now airing on TV on the West Coast. And I realize that I could've watched it hours ago on the NFL's YouTube channel.

UPDATE: IT WAS AWFUL. They should get Neil Patrick Harris, James Corden or Miley Cyrus to host next year.

Edited by nowandlater
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, NUguy514 said:

Cool, it's nice that the voters elected a murderer/accomplice to a murder into the HOF.

I believe that baseball is the only major US sport HOF that specifically includes personal character as a criterion. The others are adamant that they're about on-field accomplishments only. :(

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, MarkHB said:

I believe that baseball is the only major US sport HOF that specifically includes personal character as a criterion. The others are adamant that they're about on-field accomplishments only.

Yet it took T.O. this long to get in because he was a "bad guy". 

• Love 5

Has anyone heard any scuttlebutt that this SB sucks because it’s so East Coast?

Or do the gross Pats move the needle so much that it doesn’t matter who their opponent is?

I’m way too excited about this game considering my team went 3-13.

How weirdly ironic that the family in TO’s Pizza Hut ad has the last name “Garcia.”

Edited by mojoween

Oh I didn't catch that. Nice.

Is there some award for calling stupid plays? Throw a pass to 472 y/o Brady on a 3rd and 5 when you've been moving the ball well enough. Or go for 2 when every point is so valuable. 

• Love 2

Congrats to the Eagles.  I realized my hatred for the Pats runs so deep I found myself rooting for the Eagles.  I cant believe I did that.  Ugg. I need a shower. 

The Eagles can definitely get a ransom for Foles.  But why trade him?  Who knows what Wentz will be when he gets back.  I say Wentz is the odd man out at this point.  And usually I know they say you dont lose your job to injury...but damn it...the backup just won a superbowl.  And Foles made some damn good plays to do it. 

• Love 6

Jeff Hostetler and Doug Williams were Nick Foles before he was Nick Foles.  I don’t know how things turned out for Williams, but Hostetler just kind of faded away.

How funny that the Pats never once punted and lost anyways.

• Love 1

What a great game. Hats off to the Eagles—they out-composed the Patriots tonight, and that rarely happens. The Pats killed themselves in the first half when they fucking lost their minds and played panic ball, and never managed to recover. Yet again, Josh McDaniels got way too cute and it cost the Pats bigtime.

Has anyone heard why BB basically benched Malcolm Butler? Eric Rowe is fucking terrible. If Butler just wasn’t recovered enough from the flu to play corner effectively, that’s one thing, but if it was disciplinary/a true coach’s decision, I’m side-eyeing Belichick and Patricia HARD. They just signed Butler’s one-way ticket out of New England. The Eagles WRs just absolutely schooled the Pats DBs. Jeffrey was a fucking BEAST tonight.

Pats shot themselves in the foot on special teams (I’m convinced Gostowski has the playoff yips at this point) and Brandin Cooks was a disaster. Part of it was his fault—that idiotic hurdle attempt was awful, he almost certainly could’ve gotten the first without it and it cost the Pats 4-–and part was not (getting concussed). But he’s got to be smarter; I know he was trying to make something happen because he knew he messed up with the hurdle attempt, but he’s got to have more open-field awareness. I do think him going out was an early key to the game. Hogan is solid but no one stretches the field vertically like Cooks.

Man, I can’t believe Brady threw for over 500 yards and the Pats still lost. Belichick really needs to stock up on front 7 playmakers in the off-season and also give the D some remedial tackling lessons. The D could not get off the field tonight...just horribly exposed.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, stealinghome said:

Has anyone heard why BB basically benched Malcolm Butler? Eric Rowe is fucking terrible. If Butler just wasn’t recovered enough from the flu to play corner effectively, that’s one thing, but if it was disciplinary/a true coach’s decision, I’m side-eyeing Belichick and Patricia HARD. They just signed Butler’s one-way ticket out of New England. The Eagles WRs just absolutely schooled the Pats DBs. Jeffrey was a fucking BEAST tonight.

No idea. We expected to lose Malcolm after this year, but now we REALLY expect to lose him.

• Love 2

My sincere congratulations to all the genuine Eagles fans.  That was a hell of a game, and you deserved the win.

Most yards ever in an NFL game that counted?  Uh, the Pro Bowl was last week, folks.  Defense is a thing :) .

• Love 2