Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

9 minutes ago, twoods said:

Why did Pats fans hate Amendola? I always thought he was as pretty good and a nice second option to Gronk. He seems very nice and classy as well- would love seeing him in Buffalo. At least the Pats win despite being mediocre for most of the game. It's ridiculous.

Essentially because he wasn't Wes Welker. There was a lot of bad feeling around the idea that the Pats "wouldn't pay Welker" (never mind that Welker rejected contracts from the Pats that were worth more than what he signed for in Denver) even as they signed Amendola for fair amount of money. Then Amendola got injured in his first game as a Patriot (in 2013) and it took a while to recover; Edelman leaped over him on the depth chart and Amendola just never saw the field as much as a result. He pretty much rode the pine for the next season, and it wasn't until the 2014 playoffs that he became a consistent contributor and found his niche with the team. So it was all "we're paying him a lot of money and let Welker walk for him and he is injured/not doing anything. WORST SIGNING EVER."

Now, it IS fair to say that Amendola is injury-prone and his snaps need to be managed, but the vitriol was over the top. The irony, of course, is that Amendola has proven to be far more clutch in the playoffs than Welker ever was.

Thanks for the info you guys, and for not letting our Pats hatred get to you. I'm sure you are used to it (I'm a Lakers fan and pretty much thrived off the haters back in the glory days). 

Edited by twoods
6 minutes ago, stealinghome said:

Essentially because he wasn't Wes Welker. There was a lot of bad feeling around the idea that the Pats "wouldn't pay Welker" (never mind that Welker rejected contracts from the Pats that were worth more than what he signed for in Denver) even as they signed Amendola for fair amount of money. Then Amendola got injured in his first game as a Patriot (in 2013) and it took a while to recover; Edelman leaped over him on the depth chart and Amendola just never saw the field as much as a result. He pretty much rode the pine for the next season, and it wasn't until the 2014 playoffs that he became a consistent contributor and found his niche with the team. So it was all "we're paying him a lot of money and let Welker walk for him and he is injured/not doing anything. WORST SIGNING EVER."

Now, it IS fair to say that Amendola is injury-prone and his snaps need to be managed, but the vitriol was over the top. The irony, of course, is that Amendola has proven to be far more clutch in the playoffs than Welker ever was.

Amendola has also amended his contract multiple times to take less money in order to not get cut. So for a while it felt like the Pats were overpaying him grossly for his production, by now everyone can agree he's living up to his contract and more.

This year's version of Amendola in terms of fan ire is Stephone Gilmore, who they gave a big free agent contract to while NOT offering a similarly big contract to homegrown Super Bowl hero Malcolm Butler, who almost certainly will be playing elsewhere next year. A lot of blame for the team's rocky start defensively fell on Gilmore. No one is complaining after today's game, though.

I am surprised that the Eagles won this game. But congrats to them and their fans for winning the NFC Championship and getting back to the Superbowl. Nick Foles and the team played very well. And I like Malcolm Jenkins, Chris Long, and Carson Wentz and am happy for them.  The Patriots will probably be heavily favored against them but I hope that the Eagles can at least make the Superbowl game competitive. It would be even nicer if they somehow managed to beat the Patriots. 

Edited by Jx223
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

I hate football.  Someone let me know when someone, anyone can take down the Patriots.

Giants did it twice in the Super Bowl.  18-1 anyone? ;-)

1 hour ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Man if Eagles make it to the Superbowl I'm going to have some serious soul searching.

I Hate the Eagles, I spent 4 years (college) being a Giants fan in Eagles territory it wasn't fun. Plus do I really want someone  from the NFC East winning the Superbowl?

On the other hand, I really Hate the Pats, I hate how the media constantly ass kisses Brady and Belichick and, I'm so damn tired of them being in the Superbowl.

As a lifelong Giants fan, given this match up, I'm rooting for groin pulls all around!

Ahahahahaha

I’ve been a Giants fan for over 30 years but in the hierarchy of the NFC East, against my better judgment (DeSean Jackson, that fucker), the Iggles are the least objectionable.

Head injuries are NOT FUNNY.  What is happening to former players is SERIOUS. I totally get that and that’s why I feel badly for laughing at this -

This would never happen as the Eagles and Foles would want sole bragging rights, but in my head if Foles takes down Brady, during the post game handshake I'll imagine him whispering, 'Eli Manning sends his regards'.

On one hand I like the idea of Eli being Tom's one and only SB Kryptonite but if Foles and the Eagles also do it at least it's keeping it in the NFC East family.  

To further tarnish my Giants fan card, not gonna lie, there was one shot of Carson Wentz on the sideline with the happiest of smiles as the Eagles continued to clobber the Vikings that was just swoon worthy. Sucks for him to be on the sidelines and not playing but they wouldn't have made it this far without him so that's something.

So close, Blake. So close.

Sucks to be Donovan McNabb. Eagles are back in the SB and normally he'd be all over the sports shows as Eagles royalty but he's so toxic no one will touch him.

Edited by TobinAlbers
1 hour ago, FuriousStyles said:

As a Giants fan thats a no win for me.  I cant root for either side.  I really might just sit out the whole SB this year.

I think the only way I'd actually sit out a Super Bowl game is if it was the Patriots vs. the Cowboys.  Yes, as a Giants fan, the idea of rooting for the Eagles makes me want to puke.  But I'll do it, because I hate the Patriots that fucking much.  I will find it in myself to root for any team in the NFC other than the Cowboys going up against the Patriots in the Super Bowl.  And if the Eagles lose, the Giants being the only team to beat them in the big game - twice, mind you - in recent years is quite a nice consolation prize.

4 hours ago, mojoween said:

How fucking random would it be if Philly wins, so the SB is a repeat of the last time Timberlake was part of the halftime show?

Fuuuuuuuuuck the Patriots.

Superbowl 39 didn't have Justin Timberlake as the halftime show.  It was Paul McCartney.  I know because I slept through that snooze fest and was pissed that they gave us that bullshit.

But I agree.  Fuuuuuuuuuck the Pats.  And "Fly, Eagles FLY!"

Oh that’s right!  Nipplegate was New England/Carolina.

Goddamn I am so tired of the Patriots.

Ha!  I’m watching NFL Primetime (I miss you Boomer and TJ) and they just aired a commercial for a UFC fight for January 20. Good job!

Jacksonville is now in a weird position with Blake Bortles, because he actually played well against Pittsburgh and New England. But I don't think you can throw out years of history with Bortles. I think if they keep him he'll have to be paid like an elite QB, and it would've been fine to jettison him if he'd lost against Buffalo or even looked bad vs. the Steelers. But now he's arguably "got it"... maybe? So you don't need to get an Alex Smith or Eli Manning to upgrade the position. Again, maybe? 

There's going to be so much QB movement this offseason. I think the list of teams that can say "I love our QB and he'll certainly be our QB for the next 10 years" is Philly, SF... probably Seattle, Atlanta, Carolina, Detroit and Rams. Houston might have joined that club if not for injury, and I hope that Watson comes back and cements his position as a true franchise QB. Washington should be on that list but for whatever reason they don't love Cousins as much as the rest of the league does.  Tenn and TB had hoped to be on this list by now, but not quite. Still, those last two shouldn't be making any QB moves this offseason.

NE, GB, Pit, NO, and the Chargers are in the "I love our QB but we have to plan for life after" club. Everyone else is either looking for an upgrade or hoping that their QB's play improves. That's almost 2/3rds of the league that is in the QB market at least a little. Cousins, Tyrod Taylor, and Alex Smith are definitely moving. Eli Manning maybe? Three arguable starters from Min are all free agents. Would you be that surprised if Andy Dalton or Joe Flacco got moved? Is Foles now a viable starter somewhere? And those are just the big pieces that might move before the draft comes. The league is going to look very different next year from that standpoint.

1 hour ago, stealinghome said:

But ultimately, Jacksonville gave NE this game. The Patriots didn’t really  win it. 

But they did because they had more points at the end of the game. That's how wins are judged. The Jags couldn't execute in the 4th quarter, and the Pats did. 

44 minutes ago, Fukui San said:

NE, GB, Pit, NO, and the Chargers are in the "I love our QB but we have to plan for life after" club.

I think GB is a few years away from that. They did draft Rodgers when Favre was about Aaron's current age but I think part of that was because Brett had been talking about retiring for at least a season or two--and then continued for about five more seasons before he finally did.  There have been no rumblings like that from him yet--just the opposite. He is looking to at least 40--whether or not he will remains to be seen.

I'd say Pit and the Chargers could potentially wait a season or two as well except both BR and PR have allegedly contemplated retirement already. Otherwise, what happens with some of these backups will be interesting.  Which horse will the Vikings back? 

I remember when Doug Pederson was the backup QB in GB and now he's the Eagles Coach.  I wish him well and, as a MN resident, I feel for the Vikings fans but I am so happy that I don't have to experience the two weeks of #BringItHome hype.

I am so sad that the Vikings didn't even try...all their #bringithome was just a marketing ploy....we got suckered...again....I was thinking that since the Cubs won the World Series a couple years ago, that the Vikings winning the Super Bowl would be a strong possibility this year..yeah...huh....thank God we have the Lynx

3 hours ago, stealinghome said:

IDK, had the Patriots lost I would be furious at how many self-inflicted injuries they had. I still am, actually. Much like the Super Bowl last year, a lot of today's victory was the Pats just ceasing to shoot themselves in the foot. First, I don't know WHAT the hell McDaniels was thinking, but the playcalling, especially in the third quarter, was utterly atrocious. "Let's call the same play 20 times! It keeps only getting us a yard or two, but by golly, it's got to work at SOME point, right???" Yeah, no. I was screaming at the TV for the Pats to fucking go vertical--every time they did, it worked, and then McDaniels went back to the 2-yard pass to Lewis. WTF?! McDaniels had better have a much better game plan come the Super Bowl or the Pats will be toast (also Indy you might want to rethink that decision...). Also, while it worked out so I suppose I shouldn't crank too much, I couldn't believe the Pats didn't go for it on fourth down the second time in the fourth quarter, or even tried an uber-long field goal. Against a better offense, they wouldn't have gotten the ball back.

Cooks' drop was horrifically brutal, as was the defense in the entire first half. Chung and Butler in particular looked bad (though credit to them, they turned it around some in the second half). Dion Lewis needs to hold onto the fucking ball--not just the fumble but also the dropped passes were baaaaaad. Lewis is a great weapon but they were a little too addicted to him today. When it's not working, don't force it to him. Look elsewhere. James White always come through.

On the flip side, Danny Amendola is so great. So clutch and underrated. I always thought he had a lot to offer, even when most Pats fans despised him, so I'm SO glad he's shined in the playoffs. Just a great team guy.

Gronk better be back at full strength for the Super Bowl. I thought we were going down in flames after he went out. Glad to be proven wrong about that. That was one nasty hit--I'm not sure he'd be out of the protocol in time for the game if the SB was next weekend.

I was yelling at the defense to get some pressure on Bortles. They gave the Jaguars too many third down conversions. I know people think the Patriots get all the breaks but I'm old enough to remember when the Patriots were as bad as the Browns I don't take their current success for granted. I also hope Gronk can play in the Super Bowl.

So the Pats are trailing the Jaguars 20-10 to start the 4th quarter, and Gronk is MIA because of that concussion, and the Jaguars do have the NFL leading defense against the pass, so of course Brady snatches victory from the jaws of defeat.

Of course.

Bortles way too ineffective down the stretch when the Jaguars to maintain the lead, those 3 and out were killers.

Personally I think the Pats played a relatively poor game, however on the flip side, I can’t see them playing that badly against the Eagles.

The other NFL teams, unlike their fans , don’t hate the Patriots, they  just don’t know how to beat them.

Edited by caracas1914
36 minutes ago, caracas1914 said:

So the Pats are trailing the Jaguars 20-10 to start the 4th quarter, and Gronk is MIA because of that concussion, and the Jaguars do have the NFL leading defense against the pass, so of course Brady snatches victory from the jaws of defeat.

Of course.

That really made me laugh.

Made me think of something my dad said once. " If Brady only has 2 minutes, it might as well be a whole half". I think it had something to do with running down the clock and not letting the Patriots' offense back onto the field.

Edited by Silverglitter

Blech. It's already begun. ESPN: "Tom Brady's age defying brilliance is the best kind of problem." And this is on my newsfeed, I'm not even going to the website. Two weeks of this? Sigh...

I'm a Pats fan, but I was rooting for the Jags.  What can I say: I love a lovable underdog.  I am a Bengals fan, after all!

I think I'll be happy with whichever team wins the SB.  The Pats have won so many, and it would be nice for the Eagles to win their first; however, I do love seeing the Pats win, too!

7 hours ago, Fukui San said:

Washington should be on that list but for whatever reason they don't love Cousins as much as the rest of the league does.

Because Washington sees what a lot of us see, he's not that great.   He can great -- at times -- but he mostly ehh.   He loses them games.   He is not even a game manager that lets the rest of the team thrive.

Bortles will stay in Jacksonville.   He's shown enough that he can get it done and possible even improve.   Give Coughlin another year with him and then we will see.  

If my Cowboys can't go, at least someone from the NFC East went.    However, the Eagles are only sacrificial lambs to the Pats.  Gronk will be back from his "concussion like symptoms" in plenty of time.   Brady's hand will be healed.     The Pats are just on another level from the rest of the League.   I just hope it's not a blow out.

Sad day in Minnesota. So the Super Bowl will be Ben Franklin vs. Paul Revere. Go Ben and Eagles! I guess I like Foles better than Brady.

Only good thing, I'm a Super Bowl volunteer and actually volunteering on game day, so now I can just do my shift (which is during the game) and not be distracted worrying about how the game is going. But it sure would have been a lot more fun volunteering with my team in the game!

I think they Eagles have a great chance to win.  Dominating performance yesterday, good on both sides of the ball. 

Would be a first SB win for the Eagles.  Two previously failures, including one vs. NE.  

Who can forget McNabb being so out of shape he couldn't run a hurry up offense in the 4th quarter of the SB. 

I am not TO fan but he came back from a major injury and had a great SB that year only to have a huffing/puffing McNabb barely survive the game. 

2 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Because Washington sees what a lot of us see, he's not that great.   He can great -- at times -- but he mostly ehh.   He loses them games.   He is not even a game manager that lets the rest of the team thrive.

Bortles will stay in Jacksonville.   He's shown enough that he can get it done and possible even improve.   Give Coughlin another year with him and then we will see.  

If my Cowboys can't go, at least someone from the NFC East went.    However, the Eagles are only sacrificial lambs to the Pats.  Gronk will be back from his "concussion like symptoms" in plenty of time.   Brady's hand will be healed.     The Pats are just on another level from the rest of the League.   I just hope it's not a blow out.

If Eli is available I would expect him to end up in Jacksonville with Coughlin.  He is a clear upgrade over even the improving Bortles from the playoffs. 

Will depend on what the Giants decide moving forward though. 

Thank you Golic and Wingo for diagnosing what is wrong with me.  I have Patriot Fatigue!  

The only known cure is for the rest of the league to find out how they are doing what they are doing and replicate it.  Also, for Tom Brady to go far, far away.  Take your wife to Brazil and don’t come back.

Mojo, are you enjoying Golic & Wingo or just watching out of habit? :) I couldn't get into it after Greenie left and gave up after the first week. Last year I started listening/watching Dan Patrick and I'm much happier!

I turn on ESPN Radio when I’m working at 5 a.m. and turn it off at 1 p.m. so part of it is habit but I do like Golic.  Wingo is definitely not Greeny that’s for sure, but he’s not bad.  I think it’s basically the same show except Trey is more like Golic than he is like Greeny which I admit can get annoying.

This graphic gives me the biggest *hearteyes*

Edited by mojoween

I did not watch either game and I am glad I did not now seeing the replays of the Pats game. 

The inadvertent whistle on the run back by Myles Jack strip, which was an AMAZING play, is enough to just infuriate me once again. 

Enough with the "bad calls even out" idea.  Call after call after call this year in the Pats favor.  That is 4 or 5 TDs basically disallowed by the refs against the Pats this year.  And all game changing ones at that. 

I didn't even see the end of the half roughing or pass int/holding calls.  Dare I even look them up? 

Every break has always gone Brady/the Pats way going all the way back to the Oakland game in 2002. 

Both pass interference calls were legitimate calls that would be made on any defender on any team. If you don't look back at the ball when you're covering the WR and contact pushes him out of bounds they through the flag every time. 

1 hour ago, mojoween said:

Thank you Golic and Wingo for diagnosing what is wrong with me.  I have Patriot Fatigue!  

The only known cure is for the rest of the league to find out how they are doing what they are doing and replicate it.  Also, for Tom Brady to go far, far away.  Take your wife to Brazil and don’t come back.

The league has now started raiding the Pats assistant coaches. They should have done that maybe four or five years ago just in self defense. Even if Josh McD and Matt Patricia don't turn out to be good head coaches, you would have depleted the Pats' brainpower a bit and forced them to adjust. And you could fire them after 2 or 3 years. You'd also have the team trying to get the same type of players that the Patriots like. Luring away Charlie Weis and Romeo Crennel started a period of 10 years without a Pats' Super Bowl win. Weis, Crennel, and McDaniels flopping as head coaches was the best thing to happen to the Pats in the '10s.

I was surprised that it was a fumble too. If anything they both landed on the ground with their hands on the ball. There's one break they didn't get, so saying they get every single one is demonstrably false.

Super Bowls since 2001:

7 involved the Patriots. 6 instant classics, 1 sort of pedestrian game with a close score (the first Eagles Super Bowl. Yes, we now have to say "first")

Non-Patriots Super Bowls:

2002 Bucs blowout
2005 Steelers 11 point win. Most notable for Steelers trick plays and wacky reffing.
2006 Colts Dull 12 point win
2008 Steelers instant classic
2009 Saints 14 point win, but close until game sealing pick six
2010 Packers good game
2012 Ravens instant classic? At least a close game at the end.
2013 Seahawks blowout. I happen to love this game, but it was not a competitive game.
2015 Broncos dull 14 point win

Grading generously and counting 2009, 2010, and 2012, I'd say that there were 4 compelling games and 5 yawners.

So rejoice everyone! We have a very good chance for an interesting game!

15 minutes ago, ganesh said:

The Eagles were first in the superbowl in 1981 in a loss to the Raiders. 

God, I remember that SB, it was in New Orleans and it was when the Raiders really were the NFL’s renegade team, what with Al Davis suing the league for blocking future move to LA.   

Dick Vermeil the Eagles coach was always wound up tighter than a drum and of course the Raiders’ John Matuzak was partying on Bourbon Street.

Oakland had the quintessential working horse running back, Mark Van Eeghen and so many  characters.  Art Scnell, Gene Upshaw, John Chandler, Matuzak,  and the incredible punter, Ray Guy.  Ray Guy smoking on the sidelines in practice and then hitting these incredible punts to pin the opponent back.  

3 hours ago, xaxat said:

The Patriots (10) and the Steelers (8) will have represented the AFC in a bit over a third of the 52 Super Bowls played. 

The NFC isn’t much better,  you take the Cowboys (8), add the 49rs (6) and either the Packers, Giants or Redskins (all with 5) and you get 3 teams with the same percentage.  Hell you add the last three teams I mentioned and 5 NFC teams represented the conference  just under 60% of the time.

Edited by caracas1914
11 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

Sad day in Minnesota. So the Super Bowl will be Ben Franklin vs. Paul Revere. Go Ben and Eagles! I guess I like Foles better than Brady.

Only good thing, I'm a Super Bowl volunteer and actually volunteering on game day, so now I can just do my shift (which is during the game) and not be distracted worrying about how the game is going. But it sure would have been a lot more fun volunteering with my team in the game!

Technically, Franklin was born in Boston as well, although he's admittedly much more associated with Philadelphia.  His parents, I believe, are buried in the same cemetery as Revere, both his wives, and his dozen or so children (it's on every tour of the city).

8 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I did not watch either game and I am glad I did not now seeing the replays of the Pats game. 

The inadvertent whistle on the run back by Myles Jack strip, which was an AMAZING play, is enough to just infuriate me once again. 

Enough with the "bad calls even out" idea.  Call after call after call this year in the Pats favor.  That is 4 or 5 TDs basically disallowed by the refs against the Pats this year.  And all game changing ones at that. 

I didn't even see the end of the half roughing or pass int/holding calls.  Dare I even look them up? 

Every break has always gone Brady/the Pats way going all the way back to the Oakland game in 2002. 

I would just recommend watching the second Amendola touchdown.  That catch was a thing of beauty.

2 hours ago, caracas1914 said:

The NFC isn’t much better,  you take the Cowboys (8), add the 49rs (6) and either the Packers, Giants or Redskins (all with 5) and you get 3 teams with the same percentage.  Hell you add the last three teams I mentioned and 5 NFC teams represented the conference  just under 60% of the time.

While that may be true, the I think NFC has been more competitive recently. Over the last 15 years or so, the Seahawks have made their run, the Saints won it all, and the Panthers, Falcons, Cardinals, Bears, and Eagles have gotten there. Throw in the Giants, Packers, and 49ers, and that's more than half the conference.  

Contrast that with the AFC, where it's pretty much just the Patriots, Steelers, Broncos, Colts and Ravens. 

There's a very simple solution to not having the Patriots in the Super Bowl every year -- teams beat then during the season.    Belichek exploits the rule book.   The same rule book available to every single coach.    He uses his players to their best advantage.   Which every other coach can do rather than force players into some scheme.   He studies film incessentantly to find teams weaknesses.   The same film available to every other coach.   

You can call them the cheatriots all you want but Spygate was overblown.   Every team was doing it even Mangini was shocked at what happened.   Belichek said it gave him maybe a .00001% advantage.   That's not enough to dominate.    The deflated balls was a fucking joke.    Ideal gas law proved what happened.   Some of the Colts' balls were under inflated too but nobody talks about that.   Notice that after the NFL started randomly testing balls during games they did not release the results.   You know if they proved balls did not deflate that much in cold weather we would have heard about it to the end of time.   it wasn't even proven Brady did it, it was "he was more likely than not, generally aware of a scheme to deflate balls."   Umm what, I know SEARCH WARRANTS that wouldn't be granted on that, and those things are usually rubber stamped.  

You don't want the Pats winning -- tell your team to get better.