Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

On 8/24/2017 at 6:50 PM, ganesh said:

I thought the "for me" would be inherent in a message board where people post their opinions and not fact-checked journal articles. Playing the anthem for every single thing is a case where we're doing something this way because we always have. At least that people remember because we didn't always play the anthem. I'm sure we're not so fragile a country that we can go one day without hearing it. Maybe then we'd all appreciate it more if it were only special occasions.

But you stated it as fact.  Even on a message board where people post their opinions and not fact-checked journal articles.

2 hours ago, Jx223 said:

According to Ian Rapoport on Twitter, it is believed that Julian Edelrman suffered a torn ACL from tonight's game. He will get an official MRI tomorrow. I wish Julian a healthy recovery.

Also Spencer Ware was injured tonight, I hope his injury doesn't end up being very serious and that he recovers well.

And THAT is why preseason games are stupid and they suck.

5 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Julian Edelman, torn ACL and out for the season. 

Ughhh.  That sucks.  Nice to see twitter support from Richard Sherman, LeGarrette Blount and Chris Long though.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, mojoween said:

So the Jaguars seriously think Blake Bortles and Chad Henne are better at QB than Colin Kaepernick?

I think the Jags (and most other teams) would put me in at QB before signing Kaepernick.

• Love 5
14 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

He can sign any time.   If he is on the roster in week 1 as a vested veteran his salary is guaranteed for 2017.    Watch for some team with injuries to sign him week 2 -- when his salary is NOT guaranteed.

Ok, thanks!

That's probably it. Owners don't want to pay Kap his full salary so will wait until the season starts to sign him, especially if there is an injury. At least, I hope that's the case.

Spencer Ware is getting a second opinion to see if he has to have season-ending knee surgery.

I feel like these injuries could happen anywhere, at any time, so I personally don't think preseason is to blame.

Poor strength and conditioning regimens and changing the way the teams can do two a days and full-pads practices are the more likely culprits, IMO.

JJ Watt is raising money for the devastation in Houston. In, I believe two hours, his fundraiser had $200,000 worth of donations for the city. As a fellow Wisconsinite, he's one of the few football players I love as much as my Packer Players.

I'm editting to post, JJ's findraiser is now at the 1,000,000 dollar mark. Amazing. 

Edited by SnoGirl
  • Love 5
On 8/27/2017 at 9:39 PM, SnoGirl said:

JJ Watt is raising money for the devastation in Houston. In, I believe two hours, his fundraiser had $200,000 worth of donations for the city. As a fellow Wisconsinite, he's one of the few football players I love as much as my Packer Players.

I'm editting to post, JJ's findraiser is now at the 1,000,000 dollar mark. Amazing. 

Now reports are at 8 figures. Just incredible.  Such a great thing as mentioned, that great players can be good people & do great things off the field

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Moose135 said:

Pre-season, third stringers, it doesn't matter.  It's always a good day when the Giants beat the Pats!

I had a friend going to the game.   He doesn't like Kraft for -- reasons.    He also made it a point to mention it was preseason.    I said "yeah its Giants v Pats, that's always interesting."   And sure enough somehow someway, even in preseason, the Giants find a way to beat the unbeatable.

• Love 2

Even the Browns announcers couldn't hide the surprise in their voices when they said the Browns were unbeaten this preseason.  Of course, preseason means absolutely nothing, but this is why the dog pound gets hopeful each year.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, merylinkid said:

I had a friend going to the game.   He doesn't like Kraft for -- reasons.    He also made it a point to mention it was preseason.    I said "yeah its Giants v Pats, that's always interesting."   And sure enough somehow someway, even in preseason, the Giants find a way to beat the unbeatable.

As a New Englander and lifelong Pats fan, the Giants are the only team that consistently gives me ulcers. Pre-season means nothing to me....except when we play the Giants. It's like a mid-season game between the Sox and the Yankees. It's never just a regular game when Boston plays New York. 

• Love 3

https://deadspin.com/heres-the-nfls-investigative-report-on-ezekiel-elliott-1798689151

Read what I could of the specifics of the Elliot case. 

I can see why he was not criminally prosecuted.  The evidence is pretty weak and the girlfriend contradicts herself. 

Just sounds like a bad relationship all around though for both of them.  And even if there is not enough evidence for prosecution, doesn't PROVE that there was no abuse present by Elliot.  Certainly has elements that one would see in many cases of domestic abuse, even without proof of it happening

Does not help matters that the lead investigator who spoke to his GF recommended no suspension, and was left out of the actual discussion to decide on the suspension

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/lead-nfl-investigator-in-ezekiel-elliott-case-reportedly-recommended-no-suspension/

1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

https://deadspin.com/heres-the-nfls-investigative-report-on-ezekiel-elliott-1798689151

Read what I could of the specifics of the Elliot case. 

I can see why he was not criminally prosecuted.  The evidence is pretty weak and the girlfriend contradicts herself. 

Just sounds like a bad relationship all around though for both of them.  And even if there is not enough evidence for prosecution, doesn't PROVE that there was no abuse present by Elliot.  Certainly has elements that one would see in many cases of domestic abuse, even without proof of it happening

Does not help matters that the lead investigator who spoke to his GF recommended no suspension, and was left out of the actual discussion to decide on the suspension

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/lead-nfl-investigator-in-ezekiel-elliott-case-reportedly-recommended-no-suspension/

I think this is a situation where once again the NFL messed up. I think that they should have put all the information out there from the get  go and really explained their decision. It looks bad that they didn’t allow the lead investigator, the ONLY person who interviewed Zeke’s accuser to be present at the meeting when they decided his punishment. The reports about Lisa Friel barring the lead investigator from going to the meeting and not putting her recommendations/finding in the final report look suspicious. From what I understand the lead investigator, Kia Roberts has a good reputation and has worked with cases involving DV victims before. Her opinion should have been considered and she should have been able to talk about her findings at that meeting even if Goodell still went with the six game suspension.

I had seen a lot of evidence by the Colombus Attorney’s office after the suspension was handed down and prior to this official report being released.

Here is more information from the Colombus Attorney's office including several sworn affidavits by witnesses:

http://www.columbuscityattorney.org/pdf/press/2016070206 Investigation Documentation/2016070206 Public Records Documents.pdf 

Now with that and the official report being released I’ve come to the conclusion that there isn’t really any way to know for sure what really happened between Zeke and his girlfriend as far as the abuse goes.

I think given that, and the lead investigator's opinion, the best solution may have been just to suspend him like 2 to 3 games for the St. Patrick's day incident. I think that the league wanted to send a message to Zeke regarding his overall behavior and I think that was a fair way to do it. I  think trying to paint him another face of Domestic violence was not the way to go given the lack of credible evidence, doubts about the accuser's, and lead investigator's conclusions. 

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 2

It's being reported now that there is a good chance that the Broncos are going to resign Brock Osweiler.  Ian Rapoport said he is expecting the Broncos to pursue/sign Brock and Mary Kay Cabot is saying a source is telling her this is true. If so I think this is interesting. I had felt that Brock shouldn't have left the Broncos and that was a good place for him to stay and try and be the leader of the team. He performed best there and I wonder how things will work out for him, if he goes back to the team. Especially with Paxton Lynch struggling and also now dealing with an injury. (Though I do think that Trevor Siemian will be the starting QB for the time being.)

Edited by Jx223

Does anyone know where Jacoby Brissett will fit in the Colt's depth chart?  He was good in the games I saw him in; I'm hoping he'll get a chance to play.  I think this also proves that there's no long-term future anywhere in New England for players named Jacoby. :(

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, MarkHB said:

Does anyone know where Jacoby Brissett will fit in the Colt's depth chart?  He was good in the games I saw him in; I'm hoping he'll get a chance to play.  I think this also proves that there's no long-term future anywhere in New England for players named Jacoby. :(

From the articles I've seen it sounds like he might get a chance to compete with Scott Tolzien and Stephen Morris for getting the 2nd QB position. Andrew Luck has been activated off the PUP list and is now able to practice with the team. But I have seen multiple reports that he may not start the season's opener, due to his injury.

Maybe Jacoby might end up in the QB2 spot. The Colts gave him a favorable introduction and praised his preseason performance against the Giants in their press release about his trade. They may think he has some nice upside to him.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2017/09/02/with-andrew-luck-looking-doubtful-colts-acquire-jacoby-brissett-from-patriots/?utm_term=.c43654cda79c

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 1

So Cleveland cops are not going to participate in the national anthem at the Browns' opener in protest against NFL players who are kneeling during the anthem.  So they are protesting against protesters by not participating in the same thing the people they are protesting about are not participating in?

• Love 10
7 hours ago, Jx223 said:

From the articles I've seen it sounds like he might get a chance to compete with Scott Tolzien and Stephen Morris for getting the 2nd QB position. Andrew Luck has been activated off the PUP list and is now able to practice with the team. But I have seen multiple reports that he may not start the season's opener, due to his injury.

Maybe Jacoby might end up in the QB2 spot. The Colts gave him a favorable introduction and praised his preseason performance against the Giants in their press release about his trade. They may think he has some nice upside to him.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2017/09/02/with-andrew-luck-looking-doubtful-colts-acquire-jacoby-brissett-from-patriots/?utm_term=.c43654cda79c

Colts cut Morris today after adding some other plays. 

I find that baffling.  I would have just kept Morris, not bothered with the trade.  Not sure what that adds.  Morris looked good during preseason, Tolzien really sucked. 

Hoping Morris gets a shot somewhere. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Silver Raven said:

So Cleveland cops are not going to participate in the national anthem at the Browns' opener in protest against NFL players who are kneeling during the anthem.  So they are protesting against protesters by not participating in the same thing the people they are protesting about are not participating in?

Trust that not even a protest of a protest can go right at a Browns game.

• Love 5
On 9/3/2017 at 3:37 PM, Silver Raven said:

BUT WAIT!  THERE'S MORE! Apparently the official police department (not the union) doesn't agree with the union stance, so some police officers might protest other police officers refusing to participate in the anthem as a protest against those protesting by not participating in the anthem by participating in the anthem in place of the officers not participating in the anthem.  I hope that clears things up!:)

For its part, the police department itself — a city agency separate from the union representing officers — says it does not agree with Loomis’ boycott, and that officers may very well participate in pregame ceremonies despite the CPPA’s absence

It's almost as if a lot of the reaction to the protest to begin with wasn't really about the clearly very sacred nature of the anthem at sporting events at all.  Huh.  Color me surprised. 

Edited by pennben
  • Love 8

This is one time the Browns front office is handling everything right as far as I am concerned.  The team's statement was basically that they respect both the flag and the first amendment.  When asked about the police protest, they just released the earlier statement.

8 hours ago, NUguy514 said:

That is incredibly fucked up, given a few of the word choices in the third and fourth stanzas.

I certainly wasn't thinking about that when I wrote it. I've heard the whole thing sung quite a few times -- Bruins singer Rene Rancourt does it for the Fourth of July at our minor league baseball team every year -- and I'm pretty sure everyone zones out by the end of the second verse.

That's absolutely nuts. Can you imagine if they didn't find out he was a professional athlete? I feel so sick. What makes me more ill is that people think he's making this up for attention and to further the BLM cause. I just can't with their fuckery.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 9

He won't win a lawsuit. The cops responded to an active shooting scene, told him to stay put and he ran. Of course they're going to have guns drawn in a situation like that. Natrally Bennett is going to paint himself as a perfect angel who was grievously wronged. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 1
57 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

The cops responded to an active shooting scene, told him to stay put and he ran.

Seriously?  Of course, I don't know all the particulars but if he actually ran then he's lucky he's still alive.  Thank goodness for that.

• Love 2

New England fans can take several seats and shut their faces. It's one thing to hate the commish, if it makes you feel better, fine whatever.

But they are SO over the damn top about it that it is annoying.  You root for cheating cheaters.  There are DOCUMENTED CASES about this.  So take a step back because you look like fools.

Also, your idiot QB sat for four games and you WON THE FUCKING SUPER BOWL so please, go on about how disrespected you are.  I'll make sure to keep my world's tiniest violin in tune for your sad saga.

• Love 8

I'm from Boston originally and I've been a Patriots fan all my life, and I agree this nonsense needs to stop. From the 28-3 jokes to the Goodell jabs, clown masks and obnoxious billboards, it's like enough already. It's over. It's a new season, let's move on.

When you can't win humbly, God is always quick to knock you down a peg. 

Football is back!!   Football is back!!!   Football is back!!!!

I am so doing the happy dance.   I don't care about all the other nonsense, I have meaningful games on my tv again.   

Did I mention football is back???

• Love 9

Thing I learned from watching America's Game (which I assume everyone watched) last night: Julian Edelman wrote a Children's Book.

That makes three of the Patriots' passcatchers from last year who wrote a children's book.

Malcolm Mitchell

51oXXoQp2qL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Julian Edelman

Screen_Shot_2016-11-23_at_2.14.04_PM.png

Martellus Bennett

392x696bb.jpg