Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

I'm used to Ray Lewis being a sanctimonious blowhard. (I laughed when he said Kaepernick should keep quiet about his off the field activities. 'Cause Ray truly speaks from experience.)

So what annoyed me most was Ravens' owner and billionaire Steve Bisciotti  asking fans to pray for the team as they make a decision over a freakin' backup quarterback.

Seriously? 

• Love 4
7 hours ago, mojoween said:

Did you know that Tom Brady is the only player in the entire NFL who will ever celebrate a birthday?

Naaaa...just the greatest.

But in all seriousness, any well wishes for Tom Brady coming from the NFL and ESPN are disingenuous at best.

Edited by WhyIsTheRumGone
  • Love 4

I am glad that Preseason NFL football begins tonight. I look forward to watching the Cowboys play against the Cardinals. One of the things I like about preseason is watching how the rookies and people fighting for roster spots play in these earlier games. I am looking forward to seeing how players like Taco Charlton and others play tonight. 

• Love 2

It's really impressive how the NFL has managed to pivot the debate over Kaep from "Are white, conservative owners colluding?" to "Owners who pass on Kaep are just listening to their fans!" 

And their defense kind of makes sense. This is a league that would never sign a guy who beat his son's genitals hard enough to draw blood, a guy who got a conviction on domestic violence vacated because the victim mysteriously decided to stop cooperating with officials  who was engaged in peaceful public dissent in the face of fan criticism.

• Love 8

Or someone who obstructed justice in a murder investigation. I can't imagine how these owners and GMs could have possibly functioned in the 1960s when Jim Brown was around and we had such social unrest in the country. (I mean, we do now too, but I'm talking about the Watts riots, etc.)

When did the "distraction in the locker room" canard come into vogue? 

• Love 8
3 hours ago, ganesh said:

When did the "distraction in the locker room" canard come into vogue? 

My favorite no on Kaep euphemism is "Is he focused on football?" 

Days after saying words to that effect Ravens's coach John Harbaugh went to a practice where he watched his backup QB, who has a history of missing practices and team flights because of "alarm clock" problems, literally throw in the towel and quit during a practice after a shitty session. 

• Love 3

Kap did what he did, took a stand, and I hope he has no regrets over it.  At the same time, the owners have a right to sign/not sign whomever they want, for whatever reason, as long as they haven't broken any laws.   The good thing is that a decision should be made shortly about whether he gets signed or not.  

I'm tired of hearing about Kap.  

Edited by Ohwell
Clarification
  • Love 3

Was glad to hear Kurt Warner had his wife introduce him to the HOF.  That doesn't happen often.

And yes I know Jerry Jones did it, but Jerry Jones IMO does not belong in the HOF.  One five years stretch of great football followed by 20 years of mediocrity does not make you a great owner, no matter how much money you make for the league or how much you increased the value of your team since you bought it.   

If there is an unscrupulous business owners HOF, sure, induct him.  But not in the NFL HOF.  He has been the very problem for that team that is holding it back for years.  And one year of success last season does not change that. 

• Love 7

I often forget that Drew Brees played in San Diego.

Brenda Warner introducing Kurt is the most Kurt thing he's ever done.  I can't imagine it would have gone any other way.

I heard the argument the other day that Jerry Jones should not be in the NFL HOF before Jimmy Johnson and I feel that could not be more true.  Without Jimmy, Jerry would be just another billionaire.

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I heard the argument the other day that Jerry Jones should not be in the NFL HOF before Jimmy Johnson and I feel that could not be more true.  Without Jimmy, Jerry would be just another billionaire.

I was shocked a few years ago when I found out that Jimmy Johnson wasn't in the HOF. The 90's Cowboys wouldn't have been anything without him, and they probably could have won four Super Bowls had Jerry not checked his ego and tried to take all the credit. My own 'Skins loving mother will admit to that.

• Love 1

I enjoyed tonight's hall of fame ceremony. I liked seeing everyone honor their families, former teammates, etc... Terrell Davis has a nice looking family and LaDainian Tomlinson mom seems lovely. My favorite speeches were Jason Taylor, Jerry Jones, and Kurt Warner's. I thought that Jerry's speech was entertaining, and I liked the shoes that Phil Knight designed for him. I am glad he's in the Hall of Fame. And I've always loved Kurt Warner. He's a good person, and has an interesting backstory. I thought it was classy for him to thank Trent Green. I remember watching him and his wife Brenda talking about their story right after he won the Super Bowl years ago. I'm glad to see they are still going strong as a couple and their family is doing well. 

Edited by Jx223
47 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Brenda Warner introducing Kurt is the most Kurt thing he's ever done.  I can't imagine it would have gone any other way.

I'm still filled with glee thinking back on how they got eaten alive during his five minutes in New York.  Can't stand them.  (There are FAR worse people in the NFL, to be sure.  That doesn't mean I can't also dislike those two.)

Jerry Jones in the HoF.  Give me a break. 

• Love 2
59 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I often forget that Drew Brees played in San Diego.

Yes, how dare Kurt get his wife of 20 years to introduce him into the Hall of Fame. 

And good on Jones for getting into the hall of fame. He has had a lot of influence on the NFL since he's been an owner and I think he has done more good than harm. No matter how much some people want to complain about him.  Plus, He seems to loved by past and present players and does seem to care and take care of his players. He's probably treats his players better than almost all the owners in the league. And those shoes he had on were nice. Rock those Jerry. 

11 hours ago, Bastet said:

Jerry Jones in the HoF.  Give me a break. 

Jerry Jones the GM? No. Jerry Jones the owner? Most definitely yes.

He was the bridge between the owners/families that established the NFL/AFL and the wave of newer money buying in. He helped create the business model that the NFL now operates on. TV policy, CBA, marketing, merchandise. . . he had a hand in all of it.

• Love 1

I wonder how things will work out with Jay and the Dolphins. I wonder if he can get them to the playoffs again this year. Adam Gase did a nice job on the with the team and has worked with Jay before. I am interested in seeing how they work together on this new team.

Edited by Jx223
3 hours ago, xaxat said:

Jerry Jones the GM? No. Jerry Jones the owner? Most definitely yes.

He was the bridge between the owners/families that established the NFL/AFL and the wave of newer money buying in. He helped create the business model that the NFL now operates on. TV policy, CBA, marketing, merchandise. . . he had a hand in all of it.

I don't dispute he has made a lot of money for his team and the league and as a businessman he has been successful. 

My contention is that is not really enough to be a HOFer, even as an owner.  The prior owners nominated as contributors for the HOF were either long time owners of successful franchises over many years and/OR they were founders of either the NFL or the AFL.  And some were owners, coaches, GMs, founders, innovators all in one.

All I keep hearing about Jerry Jones is the value of his franchise has gone up a whole lot over time and he has been great at generating TV and merchandising money for the league.  My opinion is you don't get in the HOF for doing that alone. 

If like the Rooney's and Mara's you have a hand in all that and your franchise is successful on the field for many years, fine. 

But just for being a great businessman?  Sorry, I am not impressed by it. 

The man who drafted Quincy Carter in the second round, fired Jimmy Johnson to prevent his team from potentially winning a 3rd straight, or maybe 4 straight, SBs and had to be talked out of drafting Johnny Manziel in the first round just a few short years ago is now in the Pro Football HOF.

great businessman, sure. 

Great FOOTBALL mind?  No way

• Love 8

Eh, Kap doesn't fit the Dolphins' offense- Cutler is more "Tannehill" than Kap. I'm more irritated with the Ravens for not signing him- he would be a good fit there. Hell, he would be a great fit for the Bills since Tyrod is a running QB. Stupid NFL teams. 

• Love 4
On 8/5/2017 at 8:01 AM, Ohwell said:

Kap did what he did, took a stand, and I hope he has no regrets over it.  At the same time, the owners have a right to sign/not sign whomever they want, for whatever reason, as long as they haven't broken any laws.

Kaepernick has the right to kneel during the anthem. The owners have the right to not sign Kaepernick. And we have the right to rip them over it. Nobody's going to jail.

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

Kaepernick has the right to kneel during the anthem. The owners have the right to not sign Kaepernick. And we have the right to rip them over it. Nobody's going to jail.

I don't see where there's any disagreement here.

Moving on......

12 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

It can be a sticky situation though if there's collusion. 

• Love 3

There is too much PTO in my department or I would be heading to NYC August 23 for Spike Lee's rally for Colin in front of the NFL offices.

I'm not sure what Spike thinks will happen, since the owners are the ones making the decision for their teams and not Roger, but I'm all for a rally.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, mojoween said:

There is too much PTO in my department or I would be heading to NYC August 23 for Spike Lee's rally for Colin in front of the NFL offices.

I'm not sure what Spike thinks will happen, since the owners are the ones making the decision for their teams and not Roger, but I'm all for a rally.

Damn.  I don't get into town until the next day.  Timing...

I thought that Deshaun Watson showed a lot of poise tonight in his debut in the Texans/Panthers preseason game. He really didn't seem rattled or anything and I like some of the decisions he made including extending plays and using his scrambling abilities. I look forward to seeing how he grows as a QB.

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 2

Cutler was signed over all other choices because he knows Adam Gase well and he knows the offense.  How good he'll be, probably average.  They are no better or worse off with him instead of Tannehill. 

Deshaun Watson did look pretty good last night. 

15 hours ago, Jx223 said:

I thought that Deshaun Watson showed a lot of poise tonight in his debut in the Texans/Panthers preseason game. He really didn't seem rattled or anything and I like some of the decisions he made including extending plays and using his scrambling abilities. I look forward to seeing how he grows as a QB.

I wish he hadn't scrambled so much.    I'm afraid he is going to rely on his scrambling and not notice open receivers.    Scrambling is a good way to shorten your career.    

I thought that Mitchell Trubisky was impressive tonight. I thought he also showed poise, was accurate and made good throws. I enjoyed watching him play and would like to see how he performs against first stringers. I like seeing these young QB's play well.

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 2

Since the draft, I've been quietly rooting for Trubisky to do well and turn out to be the real thing.  We are far from knowing whether that will be the case.  Trust me, I know that. Tonight, however, I've cynically enjoyed seeing all of the "Bears fans" who ripped him from moment one after he was drafted and booed him at the Bulls game when he was introduced and done nothing but dismiss him jump right on the bandwagon that "Trubisky should be the starter" on my social media feeds.  

As a Bears fan that's also a Cubs fan, I know how frustrating a rebuild can be, but how fantastic it can be to watch the new guys develop right in front of you to become something fantastic (for one year at least:)).  I'm really, really hoping Trubisky is a key piece in this rebuild and that tonight we got our first glimpse of good things to come in the next couple of years. 

Edited by pennben
  • Love 2

Trubisky did look impressive.  If he had another timeout or another ten seconds, or the WR would have got out of bounds on the next to last play, they might have completed that two minute drive for the tie. 

For all the crap the Bears took about drafting him so high, he certainly gave some hope the pick was worth it. 

If he works out, no one will care in 3 years he was drafted second or that they took him too high.  If a guy can play, none of that matter in the long run, especially at QB

I remember when the Colts drafted Dwight Freeney, everyone was saying he was too small to play DE and the Colts drafted him too high, they could have got him later in the round. 

WHo cares?  They were right about him and they got the pass rushing DE they desperately needed

Same thing when Reggie Wayne was drafted.  Fans all upset because at the time, the team needed defense and they used a first round pick on a WR when they already had Marvin Harrison and Edgerrin James on the offense.  In the end, he was the #2 WR the team had been searching for in the early first 4 years of Mannings career and even became the #1 WR when Harrison was gone around 2007, well worth it. 

If a guy can play, the "too high of a pick" part if forgotten. 

• Love 3

The Baltimore Ravens defense looked fantastic last evening. Evening the CB did alright shutting down receivers. That is certainly a good sign. The offense was fine as well, but still needs work in my opinion. I really like RB Terrence West.

Jesus......6 games. 

I am shocked it is that much

I am also irritated we are now going to have to be inundated with another months on end of NFLPA vs. Goodell arguing about this and sports media will be all over it.  Its too harsh, he is overreacting, he has too much power, we are appealing, the report is garbage, the league is lying, etc, etc. 

For his part Jerry Jones, NFL Hall of Famer, says there is "absolutely no evidence" of domestic violence. 

The league office says there is enough for 6 games. 

That is a HUGE difference. 

As was the case with Goodell vs the Pats, they are likely both lying and over/underreacting. 

Which is the problem anymore with all these debates, going all the way back to the Saints scandal.   you really cant trust any of them and what they say.  Not Goodell, not the owners, not the players.  I think they all lie and, really, they all kind of deserve each other. 

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Jesus......6 games. 

I am shocked it is that much

I am also irritated we are now going to have to be inundated with another months on end of NFLPA vs. Goodell arguing about this and sports media will be all over it.  Its too harsh, he is overreacting, he has too much power, we are appealing, the report is garbage, the league is lying, etc, etc. 

For his part Jerry Jones, NFL Hall of Famer, says there is "absolutely no evidence" of domestic violence. 

The league office says there is enough for 6 games. 

That is a HUGE difference. 

As was the case with Goodell vs the Pats, they are likely both lying and over/underreacting. 

There is definitely a mess going on here. I had read a statement from someone who was there on one of the nights that Zeke's ex said he assaulted and the statement read that Zeke's ex got into a fight with another woman and that caused her injuries on that night. Yet it's also being reported there were multiple incidents and the NFL says they believe that Zeke did abuse his girlfriend. I'm not sure what the truth is or if there is some truth to both sides.

I think that one problem is that hasn't seemed to be a lot of transparency in this situation. I don't think that a lot of information has been released about this situation. Maybe more information will come out in the coming days.  I think another problem is that Zeke has racked up some other non DV incidents (like what happened on St. Patty's day, recent bar incident.) that have hurt him in this situation. They may deny it, but I do believe that Zeke doing other things that the league frowns upon may have factored into this decision and them coming down harder on him, than even other players who we saw/heard there was stronger evidence against.

I think that the league may be wanting to send Zeke a message that they aren't going to really tolerate anything from him that makes the league look bad and that they may hope to scare him off from doing detrimental behavior in the future. I think it looked like at one point, he wasn't going to be suspended, but I think they decided to continue the investigation/dig deeper into it, once news of other (though non DV related) incidents came out.

It sounds like he will fight this suspension, so this may definitely be drawn out for a while. 

Edited by Jx223

The whole 6 games thing is what I really was expecting it to be. How much this will affect the Cowboys IDK , but I do know that last year Dak relied quite a bit of Zeke and for 6 games he won't have him so it will be tough.

The Cleveland Browns Head Coach Hue Jackson also squashed the idea that DeShone Kizer will not be the starter for the Browns even though he did great in the 1st Pre Season game.

24 minutes ago, Cherry Bomb said:

The whole 6 games thing is what I really was expecting it to be. How much this will affect the Cowboys IDK , but I do know that last year Dak relied quite a bit of Zeke and for 6 games he won't have him so it will be tough.

The Cleveland Browns Head Coach Hue Jackson also squashed the idea that DeShone Kizer will not be the starter for the Browns even though he did great in the 1st Pre Season game.

Their schedule is tough and I don't think they will be as dominant, but I think that the Cowboys would be okay without him. (Though I do think that Zeke will more than likely appeal his suspension.) I think that their running back group, their O-line and Dak are enough to help them hang on in Zeke's absence. Maybe Rod Smith will be able to help out with the run game as well. I like what I have seen from him in preseason so far, maybe he will keep that type of play up.

Edited by Jx223