Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

17 hours ago, Calvada said:

And how many pink slips will ESPN be handing out to their NFL folks now that the draft is over?

I just hope one of them is for Ryan Clark.  I can think of some others, but his name comes first in my mind.

2 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Cardale Jones is getting his degree from Ohio State today.  This is the same Cardale Jones who, as a freshman, tweeted that he came to school to play football, not to go to pointless classes.

Good for him to change his mind and realize that getting a college degree is important. 

I am very impressed with the Tennessee QB who is now a Steeler, Joshua Dobbs. Aerospace engineer degree in four years is freaking amazing. If the NFL doesn't work out for him, he has a very bright future ahead.

• Love 4

One day, after he's retired, Jamaal Charles will be invited back to Arrowhead, to see a highlight reel of his career in Kansas City, before his name is revealed as the newest addition to the ring of fame, as Chiefs fans in a sold-out stadium give him a long & loud standing ovation.

Before that day comes, I'd just like to say: Ouch.

Sorry that you're bitter, and that you had to live through years of crappy teams & worse management.

But teams are a business, and business feels no emotion.  So when you strike out at the business, it bounces off & hits the fanbase.

And the fanbase feels.  Emotion.

I wish you only the best, Jamaal. 

p.s.: Bite me.

According to NPR, the judge vacated Aaron Hernandez's murder conviction, since he died before the appeal was completed. I had hoped the judge would buy into the prosecution's argument that Aaron waived his right to appeal by committing suicide.

• Love 3
(edited)

I also was interested in that case, and found the prosecution's argument compelling.  I hope they appeal.  Just a strange, strange holdover of a law that not many jurisdictions follow anymore....now I feel compelled in understanding its origins. 

Fear not! I know that research and related ramblings aren't on-topic in a football thread:)

Edited by pennben
(edited)

The 87-year-old driver of the car Katherine Berman rear-ended, Edward Bertulis, was also killed in the accident (she was pronounced dead at the scene, he upon arrival at the hospital), and a state police source has told a couple of media outlets they are investigating the possibility he suffered a medical emergency immediately before the collision.  The Berman family issued a statement urging people to remember Bertulis as well.  Bertulis' children issued a statement saying he was healthy and drove the speed limit (and that he was on his way home from visiting his late wife's grave).  It's not clear from the reports I've read in what order those three announcements occurred.  It sounds like a tragic accident all around, and hopefully things don't get any more awful than they already are.

Edited by Bastet
1 minute ago, xaxat said:

I really suspect that the Seahawks never intended to sign Kap and this whole thing was done as a PR favor to the commissioner.

That makes sense.   THey agree to look like they were considering Kapernick to deflect the whole "boycott" thing.   Roger doesn't bust them for their THIRD violation of the CBA in as many years.    Only reason they haven't been fined, players and coaches suspended.

Although I also think there is something to the "protect Wilson's ego by signing a crappy back up" theory too.

• Love 1

The owners are trying to screw over this year's rookie class. Players' union believes language in many rookie deals violates CBA.

The union estimates that about 25 or 26 NFL teams have included some form of prohibited language in rookie contracts this year. 

25 out of 32 teams? Collusion anyone? 

The owners are such assholes they probably respond with the same "screw you" they gave when they got caught trying to steal a hundred million dollars from the players a couple of years ago.

• Love 3
On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 5:01 AM, xaxat said:

I really suspect that the Seahawks never intended to sign Kap and this whole thing was done as a PR favor to the commissioner.

I thoroughly buy this. Kaep never made sense with the Seahawks. Just look at the way both sides handled the whole kneeling controversy last year. The Seahawks did the arms-linked thing and the whole team has a slightly conservative Jesus-y bent. Don't get me wrong, I actually think that Kaepernick could benefit from Carroll's coaching style and could have been a good choice, but the personalities never made sense to me. If the Seahawks were doing it as a PR move for the league, that would add several things up.

23 hours ago, xaxat said:

The owners are trying to screw over this year's rookie class. Players' union believes language in many rookie deals violates CBA.

25 out of 32 teams? Collusion anyone? 

The owners are such assholes they probably respond with the same "screw you" they gave when they got caught trying to steal a hundred million dollars from the players a couple of years ago.

The worst is needing to seek permission during the legal "tampering" period for free agency.   WHat part of "free" agency do the owners not get?   They have ALWAYS hated this part of the CBA and the court rulings.

• Love 1

I think Washington's PR campaign against "Kurt" Cousins is hilarious.

As long as Dan Snyder owns the team, DC area fans will never give management the benefit of the doubt.

• Love 6

The stadiums really have become a contest to see who can build a better stadium. The regular people like us are ones who suffer because we can't afford to go to games. As much as I would love to see the Cowboys in person I will just stick to attending college games that are much more affordable this season. 

• Love 2
(edited)

According to Adam Schefter, RGIII is working out for the Chargers tomorrow. Prior to this news I hadn't really heard anything during this offseason about RGIII possibly moving on with team. Maybe the Chargers will end up signing him.

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 1
53 minutes ago, Jx223 said:

According to Adam Schefter, RGIII is working out for the Chargers tomorrow. Prior to this news I hadn't really heard anything during this offseason about RGIII possibly moving on with team. Maybe the Chargers will end up signing him.

I wish him luck.  Now if only he doesn't get hurt...

• Love 1
22 hours ago, mojoween said:

Christ.  Colin Kaepernick is a better QB than RGIII.

But remember, Kapernick is not being blackballed, he doesn't have a job in the NFL solely for football reasons.   

• Love 3

I am tired of hearing about Colin Kaepernick. 

two weeks away from preseason, start of training camp, things finally starting back again actively for these teams to prepare for the season, and what do we get for hours on every sports talk radio station?

A discussion of which second string QB is more deserving of a chance at a roster spot. 

Perfect example of everything that is wrong with sports talk radio.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, merylinkid said:

But remember, Kapernick is not being blackballed, he doesn't have a job in the NFL solely for football reasons.   

And only if he would cut off that 'disrespectful,' God-forsaken Afro. LOL 

3 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I am tired of hearing about Colin Kaepernick. 

two weeks away from preseason, start of training camp, things finally starting back again actively for these teams to prepare for the season, and what do we get for hours on every sports talk radio station?

A discussion of which second string QB is more deserving of a chance at a roster spot. 

Perfect example of everything that is wrong with sports talk radio.

I agree, but isn't that what sports radio is all about? Getting people to call in to talk and debate about whatever?

Maybe the hosts think a discussion about starting quarterbacks--or actual teams--wouldn't be as debate-worthy. 

4 hours ago, topanga said:

And only if he would cut off that 'disrespectful,' God-forsaken Afro. LOL 

I agree, but isn't that what sports radio is all about? Getting people to call in to talk and debate about whatever?

Maybe the hosts think a discussion about starting quarterbacks--or actual teams--wouldn't be as debate-worthy. 

If all you care about is ratings and phone calls, yes, that is what it is about. 

Its like many jobs in the media industry though.  There is those who do quality work that is worthwhile and thoughtful.  They have insight that is worth listening to and actually makes you a more informed fan.

And then there are those who prefer just getting people agitated or mad or just throw out an easy topic to have an opinion on to get phone calls, repeat ad nauseum. 

High ratings don't always make for a good host or a good show. 

• Love 1
On 7/21/2017 at 7:11 AM, mittensgizmo said:

The stadiums really have become a contest to see who can build a better stadium.

There was a big meeting between the Rams and the construction company building its new stadium recently, because the project is already seriously over budget (beyond what's typical).  Part of that is the increase in steel costs now versus when the contract was signed, thus an easy path to huge savings would be to change the elaborate steel roof plans.  But Kroenke will not hear of it; he's decided that's the visual showpiece, and won't budge despite practicality. 

Ever since Jerry Jones went batshit crazy revamping Cowboys stadium, most every subsequent new stadium has been a study in excess. 

Ray Lewis's message to Colin Kaepernick is a pile of fucking garbage.

What Colin did is not "nonsense" and is not a "mistake" and the fact that all of these criminals are trying to counsel him is a joke.

COLIN DIDN'T DO ANYTHING WRONG.

Baltimore is ridiculous for asking the fans what they think.  Who the fuck cares?  Is Colin going to help you win games?  Then sign him.  I mean for fuck's sake a guy knelt down 20 times and suddenly he's the worst person in the world, never fucking mind that the REASON he knelt is because black men were and are getting killed with no justice but everyone is focusing on the manner of the message, and not what makes them uncomfortable.  Colin gives his money and time to back up his actions.  What has Steve Biscioti done about this?  Not a god damned thing I'm sure.

Ray Lewis is a joke.  The fact that he became the face of the league is ridiculous.

Sorry, Colin, you just aren't talented enough for people to overlook the fact that you made them have to fucking think.

This is so unbelievably frustrating.

• Love 17

Did the Ravens crowdsource the signing of any other player?   Does any team?   Of course not.   They sign who gives them the best chance of winning.   By "asking the fans" what they thought of signing Kap they are showing without a doubt, it's not about football ability.   

Murder, dog killing, DUI, DV -- no problem.   As long as you can play, the teams don't care.   Silent protest about police brutality and its all over, even if you took your team to the Super Bowl.

• Love 10

The problem is no one is giving Kap a chance to show he can still play, which I think any objective observer would agree he's a credible backup. I haven't read of any teams giving him a workout and then not signing him.  Of course if they did, then the fact that he's being blacklisted would be more egregious than it is. 

So Ray Lewis is being his typical obtuse self and not seeing the larger context. 

• Love 1