Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

Here's the Instagram post.  It hasn't been taken down yet but for all I know Garoppolo isn't even up yet.  Prevailing wisdom is that he was hacked.

(Edit: the original is now gone.)

Also: they had damn well better get a star if they're trading Butler.  That guy's done everything humanly possible to prove himself since that interception to the point that he's become "the guy no one throws near."

So the Panthers got Julius Peppers back from Florida. Was he playing for the Dolphins? I don't know, that's how obscure he had become. He's a great player but it seems like the Panthers roster skews older than is necessary.

Hey, at least the Peppers jersey my brother in law wears for every game will be relevant again!

Remember Myron Role, the FSU All American DB who became a Rhodes scholar? He didn't make it in the NFL, in part because his intellect and desire to do things other than play football were seen as "weaknesses" by scouts and coaches.

I just found out that he is now a neurosurgeon. So I'd say things worked out pretty well for him.

• Love 11
5 minutes ago, xaxat said:

Remember Myron Role, the FSU All American DB who became a Rhodes scholar? He didn't make it in the NFL, in part because his intellect and desire to do things other than play football were seen as "weaknesses" by scouts and coaches.

I just found out that he is now a neurosurgeon. So I'd say things worked out pretty well for him.

I heard a quote from an NFL scout the other day, that made me a little sad:

"When you're evaluating  these kids' personalities, you want to make sure they're not too rounded."

He went on to explain that he meant players having outside interests might not love football enough. Which is understandable from the point of view of NFL people, but depressing as hell from a human perspective.

I feel like John Urschel of the Ravens is going to fall victim to this thinking. He's been in the league a couple of years, and still isn't starting,  and I think fans and perhaps coaches will start muttering in discontent when they hear about him publishing another academic paper,  or studying and playing chess in his spare time.

If he doesn't make it in the NFL, he'll have his pick of professorships and academic positions.

• Love 1

Dwight Clark, the guy on the receiving end of "the Catch" announced tonight he has ALS.   I'm sitting here in tears.   I don't know why.   Other NFL players have been diagnosed with it.   Other people have it.   I don't know why I am so upset Clark has it.   Other than that play was just so perfect, the players involved should be immortal.  I'm clearly not processing this rationally right now.  

ALS sucks right up there with Cancer.

• Love 3

The crazy thing, from what I've read, is that the guy doesn't appear to be a current media member, and either faked his credentials or got credentialed despite not being qualified to do so. Apparently he may also have stolen Brady's jersey from the Seahawks Super Bowl two years ago AND Von Miller's cleats from last year? How the hell does the NFL let someone unqualified get in three years in a row??

If this is all true, I continue to believe that trained monkeys could run the NFL with the same level of profit and (in)competence as right now.

• Love 6

Ugh.  As a Chiefs lifer, I have no love for Raider fans, but even they deserve better than this.

Wow, but the NFL is making it super hard to love football anymore.  Football! Which used to be my oxygen.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, mojoween said:

So the Patriots have declared they will not draft Joe Mixon because of the DV.

Apparently drunk driving is A-OK with them.

I mean, Jim Harbaugh got a DUI 1 year before Stanford hired him, and that didn't affect his subsequent employment in the NFL.

Some crimes are okay, but DV is usually frowned upon.

Edited by nowandlater
7 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

This is the NFL's outrage scale in ascending order of outrage:  DUI, DV without video, DV with video, murder for hire, kneeling during the National Anthem, Patriots.

Item added.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, merylinkid said:

This is the NFL's outrage scale in ascending order of outrage:  DUI, DV without video, DV with video, murder for hire, kneeling during the National Anthem.

You forgot: Fighting in a club, Car stop by police, Car stop by police with a gun /drug in the car, spiking a TD "inappropriately," wearing the wrong socks/ shoes, elbow grease, black eye with a message, underwear with an unapproved logo.  

Also, If the grass was mowed "wrong," Lack of private corporate boxes, Not marking up soft drinks 1000%, What constitutes a fan's handbag or purse, Rape, and as we all know- footballs that change air pressure depending on the weather is THE WORST OF ALL. 

• Love 6

I think it's DUI, then DUI when you actually kill someone, obstruction of justice or related federal crime, then the rest. 

I don't know if kneeling during the anthem is below or above footballs changing air pressure due to weather because of all the money the NFL gets from the military to 'honor the troops'. They risk losing hard cash if legal Americans exercise their constitutionally protected rights. 

I saw on Twitter yesterday that someone apparently said that in the NFL Colin is hated as much as Rae Carruth and that is beyond the fucking pale.

Carruth is a MONSTER.  Colin quietly did something that every person in this country is GUARANTEED the right to do and he did not hurt one goddamned person while doing it.

There are many reasons I'm irritated the Giants signed Geno Smith and one of them is that means they don't have room for Colin.

I was never a Niners fan until they played the Ravens in the SB but I was rooting for them last year and I want Colin to sign with someone so I can buy his jersey. Yeah, I could have done that last year but I just couldn't give money to San Francisco.

• Love 8

I am hoping the Bills pick Kap up, but doubt it. I didn't like him because he was a Niner, but after what he did I really respected and admired him. I hope someone picks him up- he deserves better than this.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 5

As a person, yes.

As a player, I'm not sure. On sheer on-field viability as an NFL quarterback, Kaepernick is probably a worse option than fellow unemployed QBs Fitzpatrick, Cutler, and maybe even Griffin.  Given that choice I'd probably sign Cutler.

He is one of the top 64 QBs in the league. 

But he is not good enough, or so much better than the alternatives at least, that the negative PR is worth the hassle of signing him.  That is the decision teams have made so far. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, ganesh said:

I know that. That's why I'm implying that GMs are colluding against him. We all know it. 

He should just get drunk and run someone over. nbd. 

Teams have signed players who were already going to start the season being  suspended for DV or for violating substance abuse policy. I just don't get it. 

• Love 1

The Eagles had no problem signing Michael Vick after he spent two years not playing because he was in jail for running a dog fighting ring (not killing dogs).   The PR hit didn't bother them.   Although, come to think of it -- Eagles.    

But c'mon, the Owners are just being stupid here.    If MIKE GLENNON can get another chance.   If MARK SANCHEZ can keep getting signed.   There is room for Kapernick if the owners would just recognize the Constitution.

• Love 4

No one is denying Kap didn't do what he did. I think it's good that sports are finally getting back around to some social consciousness like they used to. Clearly, any GM would say, ok this is a something that we need to talk about. He's a grown man. Just talk to him. Given all the excuses made for actual, not only criminal activity, but violent activity, it's just insulting that a qb one play short of the superbowl win can't find a job. 

• Love 4
On Mon Mar 27 2017 at 4:00 PM, AimingforYoko said:

The Las Vegas Raiders?!? What the whaat!?! That doesn't even sound right. Weren't the citizens of Oakland famously loyal to their team? I guess that goes out the window when there's money involved.

I hadn't considered this particular problem until I saw a little blurb on TMZ:

http://www.tmz.com/2017/04/01/dustin-hoffman-raiders-las-vegas/

All those young players with new money burning a hole in their pockets living in Sin City--- the drinking, the gambling, the women. 

Yeah.... this will end well.......

On 3/29/2017 at 1:54 PM, mojoween said:

So the Patriots have declared they will not draft Joe Mixon because of the DV.

Apparently drunk driving is A-OK with them.

In one of the first seasons after Kraft bought the team, the Tuna drafted Christian Peter in the fifth round, and when the Krafts (particularly the late Myra, Robert's wife) found out about his history, they waived him before the start of training camp. 

• Love 4

Considering the number of pro teams in California, NFL and otherwise, and the fact Las Vegas is not that far away from where the are now, I don't feel too bad for Oakland or their fans. 

The biggest issue is multibillionare owners that continue to demand new stadiums will public money every 20 years.  Ridiculous. 

• Love 5
(edited)

I agree. The cost should be shared between the NFL and the owners. Why do the taxpayers have to be burdened by their greed?

Edited by twoods
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Considering the number of pro teams in California, NFL and otherwise, and the fact Las Vegas is not that far away from where the are now, I don't feel too bad for Oakland or their fans. 

The biggest issue is multibillionare owners that continue to demand new stadiums will public money every 20 years.  Ridiculous. 

There were lots of Southern California fans who went to Oakland for games, that won't change in Vegas.

1 hour ago, twoods said:

I agree. The cost should be shared between the NFL and the owners. Why do the taxpayers have to be burdened by their greed?

Because the owners didn't get their billions by using their own money.    The owners will continue to ask for taxypayer funds as long as those in charge of said funds keep saying yes.  

• Love 5

Allegedly he is going to become Jim Nantz's number one man and I am INCENSED.

I know a lot of people were not fans of Phil Simms but I LOVE HIM.  He is the entire reason I became a fan of the Giants in November 1986.  

And Tony Romo can get bent.  Also, he's not a Hall of Famer.

I actually heard Mike Golic say this morning that it was ok that Romo was a regular season QB and oh fucking really?  But that was a detriment to Peyton?  I am so sick of the media licking all over Romo's jock.  At least Stephen A. was making sense about this nonsense.

• Love 4

I wonder how long Tony Romo will last on CBS before he himself is replaced or demoted.

If Aaron Rodgers, who's 33, plays another 10 years, as he hopes -- he wants to play into his 40s, like Tom Brady, who turns 40 in August -- I could see him replacing Romo on CBS' No. 1 team in 2027.

(edited)

I wish Tony the best of luck in his new career as a broadcaster. I think it was hard for him to step away from football but this could end up being a good decision for him. I could see him doing well in this new job.

This move also impacts the QB free agent market and could now make it easier for some of the QBs still left out there to get signed.

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 2

I'm glad he is retiring because, even though I wasn't a fan, I really did not want to see a calamitous injury and I had an awful feeling that's where we were heading.

Good for you Tony, get out with what remains of your health and enjoy the rest of your life.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, bosawks said:

I'm glad he is retiring because, even though I wasn't a fan, I really did not want to see a calamitous injury and I had an awful feeling that's where we were heading.

Assuming he doesn't fall out of his chair and give himself a concussion.

• Love 2

Putting aside my adoration of Phil Simms, which will never abate, I just cannot believe that a guy with no prior broadcasting experience is getting vaulted to the number one spot.  What a slap in the face to people who have been doing it for years and years.

I mean, also there is the fact that I can't stand the guy and now he's going to be doing Thursday standalone games?  What a joke.  Thank goodness the Giants are usually always on FOX on Sundays.

• Love 1