Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

I figured Seattle was going to win, but you just never know, so I'm relieved to still have the one team I'm actually rooting for still in the playoffs.  Go Seahawks!

I knew the damn Patriots were going to win that game, and I also knew it was going to be a close game, one that I'd have really enjoyed watching if it wasn't being played by two teams I hate.

I may have to watch the Denver/Indy game on mute to avoid hearing all the Luck vs. Manning crap.

Dallas in the NFC championship is something I just cannot abide, so as much as I dislike the Packers I will be fervently hoping they win.  And then get crushed by Seattle.

• Love 2

For me, as a Steelers fan, the worst thing about New England advancing is that that punk quitter LeGarrette Blount is still playing football.

Barely.  I think their only rushing attempts in the second half were Brady sneaks and kneeldowns.

Katy Perry is a huge, massive star with a lot of universal hits. And she's in her prime. What's wrong with her doing halftime?

There is nothing wrong with her doing halftime; it's just that there are some, like myself, who do not enjoy her or her music.  

I'm glad the Ravens lost. I was not looking forward to hearing about how they overcame "adversity," ie Ray Rice, to make the Super Bowl.

Also glad Seattle won. In this day and age of pass happy offenses and crap tackling, I think they're old school football at its finest. They play defense and tackle properly. They run the ball. Plus the idea of a losing team in the Super Bowl -- blah.

This Cowboys and Packers are a dilemma for me because as a Vikings fan I hate the Packers. But the Cowboys are gross as well. Let's go, meteor! You still have an entire quarter to hit the stadium!

• Love 3

Whew.

I think the possession/control rule about completed passes is utter bullshit on the whole, but under that rule Dez Bryant no more made that catch than I did, so when it was ruled a completed pass I was hollering like such a madwoman my cats took off for another part of the house.

Edited by Bastet

Surprised the Cowboys made it a game. I don't understand why the Cowboys D stopped pressuring Rodgers, and those long pass calls on 4th and 2, and third and 1 earlier, were head scratchers. I'm sure the Seattle D is excited about dealing with another injured QB- they won't be so kind to Rodgers.

Well that was a tense game. I thought Rodgers played as well as could be expected when he was basically hobbled, but he was too inconsistent in the first half. The Cowboys fought it out but I thought the Packers defense showed up in that second half.

That was bullshit.   Bryant had his hand under the ball and was controlling it all the way to the ground.   Unlike the Jordy Nelson catch that was upheld earlier where the ball hit the ground because Nelson's hand was not under it.   Clearly Jerry Jones did not pay the refs enough this time.

I think Rodgers was trolling everyone the entire game.   Oh my leg, oh my leg.   Oh look I can run after all when it's the 4th quarter to put the Packers ahead.   

It was fun while it lasted.  Green Bay cannot deal with Seattle.   So it'll be Seattle and the Broncos in the Super Bowl.   Do not want same two teams playing.

• Love 1

I didn't realize that I wanted the Cowboys to win this game; since I don't have a dog in this fight, until that ruled catch by Dez Bryant was overturned. I hate hate hate the Seahawks (not Russell Wilson) and I figured the Cowboys defense would fare better against Seattle, even though Dallas' defense appeared to be half assing it today. Rodgers is a better quarterback than Romo even on his worst day, but the Cowboys' defense is imo better than Green Bay's. I said it back in late November or early December that I didn't want a superbowl of Seahawks vs Patriots. I hate both teams but will have to pull for imo the lesser of two evils and that is the Patriots. Ugh this postseason sucks. Heck even the Ravens defense would have matched up against the Seahawks better than Green Bay's. 

ETA I also don't want a rehash of last years superbowl. 

Edited by yourpointis

I also thought Dallas would provide a better matchup for Seahawks but their defense sucked today. Minimal pressure on Rodgers is inexcusable. I just hope Green Bay can play at this level next week and knock off the Seahawks. Can't wait to watch First Take tomorrow so Stephen A can remind us what a badddddddddd man Aaron Rodgers is and a Skip can go ballistic about his Cowboys.

• Love 3

I hope Rodgers doesn't purposely target Richard Sherman because of Stephen A Smith. Damn those Seahawks are going to repeat. I've got to let this go. 

Yes Stephen A has never gotten over Rodgers not throwing any passes Richard Sherman's way in the 1st game.  I'm sure that will be the topic of discussion for him this week.

• Love 1

I thought that was a pretty clear incompletion, as per the Calvin Johnson rule. Bryant did not control the ball all the way to the ground, and it popped out of his hand on contact with the ground. Whether that should be the rule or not, I think it was correctly applied in this case.

And I'm delighted it was, because the last thing I wanted was for Dallas to continue their improbable playoff run. Also, seeing Dez Bryant have such a huge tantrum on the sidelines, like the most spoiled boy in the world has just been told he can't have ice cream for breakfast, is hilarious. 

But besides that, Aaron Rodgers just deserved to win that game. He is incredible. Best QB I've ever seen, and he makes ridiculous throws with such regularity that they almost seem commonplace. That third TD? I don't know that there's anyone else in the league who could make that, and Rodgers did it on the move, without setting himself. He makes everything look so easy, The ball comes out of his hand with so much accuracy and velocity. It's a thing of beauty.

I don't believe the Packers will beat the Seahawks in the NFC Championship Game, sadly, but Rodgers absolutely deserves to make it to another Super Bowl.

• Love 1

I unapologetically love Phil Simms, have for almost thirty years.

But tonight he and Jim are driving me batshit with their insistence in calling Luck's interceptions as "basically 36/39 yard punts."

No. Fuck off. They weren't punts, they were interceptions. Is there some rule that we aren't allowed to say bad things about Andrew Fucking Luck?

• Love 6
Does anyone know when the vote for the league's Most Valuable Player takes place?

I believe it already has.  I'm pretty sure it  takes place right after regular season ends, but before playoffs start...it's strictly a regular-season award and doesn't take into consideration what happens in playoffs. 

As a Pats fan, I was ecstatic with the outcome of last night's game. But I will say.. I was at the game and I think it took about 10 years off my life. Great game by both teams, so hat-tip to the Ravens for a helluva game.  The Pats/Ravens rivalry has really become a great one.  

With regard to the rules nowadays, I feel like paraphrasing Bill Clinton: "So...was that a catch or not?"  "Depends on what your definition of the word 'catch' is".

No. Fuck off. They weren't punts, they were interceptions. Is there some rule that we aren't allowed to say bad things about Andrew Fucking Luck?

Yeah... read some analysts who were saying that particularly in the first instance, it decidedly WASN'T just like a punt because no additional time went off the clock with a 4th down play and the Broncos saved a time out by not having to call one..

Edited by loriro
  • Love 1

I may not be an Andrew Luck fan, but I still don't understand why people hate him so much? He did a wonderful job against the Broncos today & I'm tempted to root for him against the Patriots. Besides, I don't want to suffer through the Patriots making it to another Super Bowl. Maybe, Andrew Luck will surprise some people next Sunday.

Besides, I'm also grateful that I won't have to put up with yet another Brady - Manning playoff game. They both meet pretty much every season & as great as both of them are, it has gotten very tiring to watch. 

Since Peyton Manning basically failed again, I wonder how ESPN is going to make more excuses of another playoff failure & him possibly thinking about retirement. 

Edited by Magog
  • Love 2

Death. Taxes. Manning playoff failure. Six more weeks of Winter.

Can't call it a choke this year. I think he's been physically incapable of playing good football right now for half the season. Unless he can find the fountain of youth, he's just done.

I am a huge Manning fan, he played awful. And I know he gets criticized for bad playoff performances all the time and playoff losses, but this was worse than any of them recently. The Colts are certainly not the Seattle defense like in the Super Bowl. He missed badly on many long throws. The offense just wasn't there today. Manning either is hurt or he just finally reached the age he can't do it anymore. He has one more season in him at best

Glad the Colts won, but they have to follow it up now and beat NE or else this will be a hollow victory. I can't take another NE Super Bowl.

I thought if the Colts won they would have to score 30 or more points.

I also thought the NE-Balt score would be more like the Denver-Indy score, in the 20s.

I am sure NE will be a heavy favorite by at least a TD and Seattle will be probably a 3-4 point favorite.

I think he's been physically incapable of playing good football right now for half the season. Unless he can find the fountain of youth, he's just done.

I agree, but it's odd, as if there's an injury we don't know about, because these past eight weeks have looked like more than a guy getting long in the tooth.

I don't like the Broncos, but like Peyton Manning.  I'm fine with the Colts, but have an irrational level of dislike for Andrew Luck.  So this was another "who do I dislike least?" game for me.

As much trouble as Denver has been having offensively lately, I thought Indy's defense would be bad enough for the Broncos to squeak by and lose next weekend in New England.  Shows what I know.  The Colts stand a better chance of beating New England, but I don't think it's going to happen.  So the Seahawks really need to win so I have someone to root for if the Patriots go to the Super Bowl, rather than holding my nose and rooting for Green Bay.

The last month Manning has looked terrible, so it's no shocker he stunk it up again. I thought he got injured mid season and hasn't been the same since? It doesn't look like he has much left in the tank.

Those Broncos fans were brutal starting to boo the offense in the second quarter? What a bunch of spoiled idiots.

• Love 1

I understand Michael Irving's upset with the Cowboys loss, but the analysts from GameDayFinal are acting like someone just died with the Broncos being eliminated. Good grief!!! Granted I am in no way a Colts fan and dislike anything that will make me ever root for Tom Brady and the Patriots (but I will before rooting for Seattle), but I'm already resigned to the fact that this will not be an interesting superbowl as a viewer. I only have one team left to (non-begrudgingly?) root for and that is Green Bay. Other than that, expect the worst and hope for the best. 

Here's to a week of 'was it a catch?' and 'is this the end for Peyton Manning?' Ugh : (

Edited by yourpointis

Totally useless trivia. The 4 divisional compass points will be represented next week by each participant. NFC North (Packers), AFC South (Colts), NFC West (Seahawks), AFC East (Patriots).

If the Colts make it to the Super Bowl this will be their 5th trip. Their record stands at 2-2. If they're the home team they will have choice of jersey color. Bet they choose white. Both of their losses were in blue jerseys, both wins in white ....and now, back to your regularly scheduled programming.     :)

Edited by Snowprince
  • Love 1

Man, that Broncos game was interminably boring...in stark contrast to the game before it.

I may not be an Andrew Luck fan, but I still don't understand why people hate him so much?

Maybe it's the beard? I don't hate him, and I don't mind other QBs with beards (like Aaron Rodgers).

But, yeesh, Luck's beard is annoying to look at.

Does anyone know when the vote for the league's Most Valuable Player takes place?

The votes took place immediately after the season ended. They'll be unveiled at the NFL Honors Awards the night before the Super Bowl, hosted by Seth Meyers.

Edited by nowandlater
I may not be an Andrew Luck fan, but I still don't understand why people hate him so much?

I know I hate him because everybody acts like he's so great.  They were calling him elite the day he stepped foot into the NFL.  He hasn't won anything.  And it seems like no one can criticize him with all of the excuses Nantz and Simms were making for him today.  I know I'm not going to watch any ESPN or NFL Network because they're just going to drool all over Andrew Luck.  Also, he's ugly and he sounds like a Muppet.

Rodgers absolutely deserves to make it to another Super Bowl.

I don't think he "deserves" anything. I don't think any of these players "deserve" anything other than what the final score indicates. So if next week Rodgers wins, then yeah, he deserves the Super Bowl. If not, eh. Same with the other three quarterbacks in the championship games.

If the game was at Lambeau I'd pick the Packers to win. But, at Seattle I'll go with the Seahawks. And I'll go with the Patriots though I'd rather see the Colts win.

I don't hate Andrew Luck particularly, although, as a Seahawks fan, I got EXTREMELY tired of hearing our friends the bloviating announcers go on and on and ON AND ON AND ON about how great he and RGIII were, and how foolish and shortsighted we Seattle fans we were in putting our trust in an overly-short quarterback they evidently regarded as a cross between just a fluke or a Muppet.  Of course, we proved them wrong, but the name "Andrew Luck" still occasions an occasional eye-roll.

On a different note, thinking about  RGIII conjures up horrible images of him playing on that equally horrible chewed-up turf at the end of the 2012 season, and how enraged I was at his team's owner, who was evidently too cheap to fix the surface.  Who does that?  Failing to protect an athlete of his caliber should be criminal.

Edited by SophiaD

So the likely Super Bowl is Seahawks vs. Pats? Instead of one team winning, can we just have the ground cave in and it be declared a no contest?

I don't know which would be worse, all the blather about Brady & Belichick, the evil geniuses cementing their legacy, or Seattle's unbearable arrogance and the posing juveniles known as the 'Legion of Boom'.

All my hopes are on Green Bay, but I just don't see how they can beat Seattle on the road. With the perfect game from Rodgers, then maybe they have a chance. As for the Colts, they're going to get squashed next week.

• Love 1

My dislike of Luck stems from several factors - a. I'm shallow; b. I'm not a Colts fan, I'm a Peyton fan so I wasn't going to be enamored of anyone who replaced him; and c. I hate hate hate the hype machine and as soon as I'm told that someone is going to be great, I become contrary. It's why I don't like LeBron James. At that point, whether the person ever lives up to the hype becomes irrelevant.

The requiem on Peyton's career is very depressing to listen to and premature, IMO.

• Love 1