Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

10 minutes ago, scriggle said:

There've been more than a few questionable decisions by Tomlin in this game.

The onside kick for sure.

But more than that IMO, Tomlin will have to answer for his team's mentality in how they were possibly already looking ahead to playing the Pats.  He's always prided himself on getting his players to focus on the task at hand and being down 21-7 in the 1st QUARTER showed that the Steelers didnt come ready to play.  

With that said, kudos to the Jags and Bortles in particular.  They are a defensive team for sure but this wasnt a defense dominated game as the 45-42 score indicates.  Bortles did what he needed to do and made some really big plays.  Im also happy for Tom Coughlin. I wish he was still the Giants head coach but I hope he has continued success.  

Edited by FuriousStyles
  • Love 8

Exactly. The Jags scored 40+ on them already, were they really going to get a stop? If he kicked it away people would have clammored why he didn't go for the onside kick. Damned if you do...

Edited by twoods
19 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

If you told me beforehand that Pittsburgh would score 42, I would've given Jacksonville no shot. They scored 10 points last week. At home.

I don't see them beating NE. But I didn't see this, either.

Yes in any scenario in which Jax won, I don't think anyone envisioned it being 45-42. 

• Love 2

Kicking away gives Jacksonville longer to go though. They only needed 1 first down and they were in field goal range. For a defense that gave up 42 points, that's a lot of pressure. They have 80 yards to go instead, and Pit had 2 time outs and the two minute warning and they had already blocked a punt. If you don't have any way to stop the clock, then onside kick. 

It's not like Ben isn't capable of a 2 minute drill with no time outs. The way he's playing, you have to do what you can to get the ball back in his hands for the last possession. 

Edited by ganesh

In the understatement of the year, New Orleans is playing poorly.  Drew Brees has a 0.0 QB rating.

I don’t know if this is true because verifying Tom Brady statistics is not something I’m interested in, but allegedly he has played in 7 road playoff games in his career and 2 since 2006.  

That tells me the AFC East is bad and yet again, there is no parity in the AFC.

Joe Buck just blurted out “Philly Philly” and if I could I would totally hit him.

The refs in this game are killing my very soul.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 1

Huh.  I used to have a real hate on for the Vikings (like, top 5 hated teams) but I thought it was only during the Moss years.  Based on how angry I'm getting, turns out it’s not over.  Geaux Saints!

• Love 1

Come on, New Orleans. 

Yes, if the Pats wind up representing the AFC in the Super Bowl yet again, I will hope mightily the NFC team wins, even if it's the Vikings or - gulp - the Eagles.  But it would be nice to actually be rooting for a team, and the Saints are my last chance at that.  So, of course, they're playing like utter shit.

• Love 1

The one stat I saw that gave me the warm fuzzies is that Jacksonville has won the same number of playoff games in eight days as the Cowboys have in 20 years.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 5

Go, Jags!  Although I may stick an ice pick in my ears if I hear "jag wires" one more time.

And if they lose?  Go, [insert NFC team]!

I forgot why I hated the Vikings in the past. Oh, yeah. Adrian Peterson. Guess they are ok now. (A Bortles vs Keenum SB would be awesome.  Experts' heads would explode.). As an IN resident I have a fondness for Brees but still hold a grudge against Payton for SB sneakiness.  And as a fan who has seen many fans from visiting teams I can say with certainty that Eagles fans are the worst.  So, go, Vikings?

• Love 1

I know there are a litany of complaints out there about everything that is wrong with football but screw all that.  This game has been fuckin’ exciting.

Ok fuck that this actually sucks because I wanted the Saints SO BAD.

Goddamn how could you let that happen?!?!?!?

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 4

What an ending to this game. I really thought that the Saints was going to win that. Drew Brees did a nice job of helping the team come back and get the lead. But Stefon Diggs came up clutch at the end and delivered the win for the Vikings. I had picked the Saints to win this game and the Superbowl in the football pool, but I am happy for the Vikings. I hope they make it to the Superbowl. 

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 1

Poor Vikings. I thought that they had it in the bag when they were up big. At least their kicker made his field goal...

And holy crap never mind. What a catch! So happy for Vikings and their fans after years of playoff heartbreak.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 1

Wow all that guy had to do was just tackle the WR and keep him in bounds, but he goes for the huge hit and misses by a mile. Unreal. But you know what? Don't go down by 17 in a playoff game. 

• Love 2

That was amazing!!!  I'm out for the football pool because I picked Saints V. Steelers but I don't give one flipping care. I'd be thrilled if none of the typical teams made it to the Super Bowl. I'm all in for the Vikings now! Plus the Super Bowl is at their home stadium right? Has that ever happened before? 

And, yea..... I've hated the Saints for a while and their cheering when Cam went down only helps to cement that hate. 

• Love 3

Skol, Vikes and their fans !!!!  (I thought the yappy dog TV announcers were saying "skull")

Yes, and same to the Jags.  I hate the Pittsburgh Thugs so much I would have rooted for anyone, but I really loved that the Jags hung on.

Probably the most exciting day of football for me in months if not years.

Loving the fact that next Sunday its Mr. Perfect Tom vs. three Rodney Dangerfields of football  - Keenum, Foles and Bortles.  And, folks, one (or possibly two) of those three will be GOING TO THE SUPERBOWL!!  What a great payday those three will have next year.  

• Love 4

Dude if you wrote that movie the script would be rejected as too unbelievable.

That poor rookie safety.  Someone on Twitter said the coaches should take the blame too for the way they set the defense for that play and it was not all on Williams.

• Love 3

I had decided to change my 2nd favorite team from Chiefs to Vikings, in honor of a friend, and all 4th Qtr I thought I jinxed ‘em.

I really feel for that Saints defender, but I can’t blame him for missing the tackle.  He went low to avoid interference or penalties, he didn’t know Diggs was going to go high.

GO VIKINGS!

• Love 1

Poor kid. He's just a rookie and had a great interception. There is plenty of blame to go around, including not showing up the first half. I agree that sometime these defenders are afraid to tackle because of all the ridiculous penalties. If the player lowers their head, why should there be a penalty for hitting him in the helmet? Where are you supposed to tackle?

• Love 3

Yeah, they said Williams fell to his knees in the tunnel and then was sobbing in the locker room his head in his hands. I'm over my disappointment and fan anger. 

While it was that play that ended the game, the loss is not all on him. They win as a team, they lose as a team and his teammates better show themselves to be the right sort in lifting him up and making that clear.

I'll console myself that 99 year old Vikings Superfan Millie got to see her team advance in person and is now going to the Super Bowl. I can't hate on that.

The SB narrative once again appears to be turning to old guard vs young generation. Brady vs Case/Nick unless Blake does the unthinkable. Hopefully it won't be the blow out that was experienced Peyton vs Rex Grossman in the Colts/Bears super bowl and be more Brady vs Russell.

• Love 5

Yeah, they said Williams fell to his knees in the tunnel and then was sobbing in the locker room his head in his hands. I'm over my disappointment and fan anger. 

While it was that play that ended the game, the loss is not all on him. They win as a team, they lose as a team and his teammates better show themselves to be the right sort in lifting him up and making that clear.

:( Ugh, that poor kid. That sucks so bad. I agree that his teammates better be consoling him right now. No single player wins or loses a game.

I thought he was trying to avoid hitting the receiver before the ball arrived. Just rotten luck that he took out his next closest teammate along the way.

• Love 3

I’m actually still shook.  I didn’t realize HOW badly I wanted the Saints to win until Williams fell down.

Like I said after Monday’s college game, I don’t think it’s a good game if the team I was rooting for loses.  So it was entertaining and football haters can bite it, but the game sucked.