Type keyword(s) to search

S21.E01: Season Premiere (1) / S21.E02 Season Premiere (2)

• Start Topic

This excuse annoys me to no end.  Have you not watched the show?

I can maaaaybe see the hesitation at being coerced into playing whatever showmance the producers have planned. But if it were me, I'd lay that all out in my contract. A "look, I get ballroom is supposed to be sexy and I'm willing to give that a go to the best of my ability, but it's no secret I'm married/in a relationship/happily single so I'm going to put my foot down at pretending to be in a relationship with my pro, mmkay"?

At the very least people should realize that not putting in the show effort makes it look like you're a worse dancer than you could be. If I were a pro, I'd approach it like that - this is a show, yes, you're good at your profession/day job/whatever, but you're here to entertain. Not being comfortable with the performance part is going to make you look as worse as you could look if you forgot the steps." If the celebs master one thing, it's going to have to be stepping out of their comfort zone and putting on a performance. The routine can always be adjusted for ability, but performance can not.

Which is what I think Victor did pretty well at this episode. He clearly isn't a dancer. He's got memory problems and perhaps movement problems, too. He knows he and Karina don't look like a traditional ballroom couple. But Karina adjusted and he went out there and he owned his dance and I think he surprised and entertained a lot of people, as opposed to Kim and her "this made me uncomfortable, feel sorry for me". People haven't bought that excuse ... ever. It got Trista eliminated first in the first season, after all.

This is not a favorite show of mine.  I have to watch it.  It is a major reality show and try as I may I cannot get into scripted shows much at all.  Big Bang Theory is the exception.   Gun head, I persevere. 

I don't get too wound up though I have my moments, of course.   I like Derrick and become annoyed at so much hate for him. Why?  He is good looking and very talented young man.   What is not to like?  The behind the scenes mo gumbo about favoritism and over scoring is of no interest to me.  I expect manipulation on reality TV but I don't go the distance and assume the winner is chosen ahead and viewer votes are manipulated.  

I just want to like this show!