Type keyword(s) to search

S21.E01: Season Premiere (1) / S21.E02 Season Premiere (2)

• Start Topic

like Len's gruffness.  The show is so fluffy and light that I think it needs someone like Len to give it more balance and gravitas.  He definitely helps offset the sacchariney performance/presentation of Carrie Ann.  Now, we have sugary sweet Carrie Ann and Julianne.  My teeth hurt thinking about it.

I made a similar point up thread. So I agree with this. With regards to terminology, I bet you almost everyone on this board knows what a Samba Roll is or the term 'hip action'. More technical terms (and what the moves look like) like bottafogos, fleckroll or heel leads I know what they are, thanks to Len. The only thing I'm not sure of is how to spell them correctly!! So when the production team will try to fool me by saying a couple is about to do the Jive and they come out without ANY discernible jive step, well, I can recognize that immediately. That's Len's contribution and I appreciate that greatly.  When Julianne says, ' look at your partner' or 'make eye contact,' that sounds like what CarrieAnn would say on her good days. So for me at this point there's no much difference between their critiques. She was much better the first time she sat next to Len but I fear she will only get more vague as time goes on.

I was annoyed to see Karina back. I was holding out hopes that she was back on the competitive circuit with Slavik!! Wishful thinking. I usually dislike and have no interest in child actors but for some reason Alexa Vega stuck in my head after I saw her in 'Follow the stars home'. I remembered her from that scene where she jumped off a bridge to save her dog. So I knew who she was. She's really grown.

• Love 1

When Julianne says, ' look at your partner' or 'make eye contact,' that sounds like what CarrieAnn would say on her good days. So for me at this point there's no much difference between their critiques. She was much better the first time she sat next to Len but I fear she will only get more vague as time goes on.

ITA, I don't see all that much difference between them, plus they both yell and gesticulate wildly.  They're making Bruno look downright low key by comparison and I don't see it getting any better.  Len's gruffness was the perfect foil to the rest of them.  It was the voice of reason or counterpoint - a kind of reality check.  I often found myself appreciating that he provided a contrast, and one I sometimes agreed with.  His chemistry with the other judges and funny banter with Bruno was often worth watching all by itself.

Also, in their efforts to attract an ever younger audience the pace of things has just gotten maddening.  More over the top productions, loudness, gimmicks, mugging for the camera, you name it, this show is all fluff anymore and very little substance.  Len used to at least help keep things somewhat in check, or at least it seemed that way to me.  And I still don't like it that the dances aren't announced so I have to wait for and catch the name of it on the lower left of my screen, because by golly, I sure can't identify them by the steps anymore!  Plus they never do it at the same time and I miss the first several steps looking for it.  It just feels like they're going out of their way to make things ever more annoying on this show.  Could not even appreciate Tom, who is another calming and stabilizing force being completely drowned out by the ensuing mayhem.  I'm not sure I'll be sticking with this this season if it doesn't start to improve soon.

Edited by Snarklepuss
  • Love 8

I fully believe that the Emmy win was politicized through for the Hough's so that the show can add the tag in front of 'head judge' Julianne's name. Ugh. They can both disappear. So sick of seeing Derek's soulless cookie cutter choreography and it makes it worse that he's paired with Bindi, who's already getting some tabloid press in Australia for being a diva behind the scenes. Apparently there have been wardrobe tantrums already.

I have a feeling that at least half the people in this cast will overstay their welcome. I'm rooting for Alek.

• Love 4

Something else that I've seen pointed out: This is the third season in a row that Keo's celeb couldn't really remember the choreography. I know he isn't being given homerun partners, but IMO at this point it's a pattern and suggests that he has deficits as a teacher. He's a great dancer and seems nice and as I understand it didn't really have experience teaching when he came on the show. I think this is a case where putting him in the troupe for one or two seasons might have helped him to learn how the show works and what he needs to do.

• Love 3

Alexa Vega is probably best known as the child star of Spy Kids. http://prntscr.com/8gr0b7 If you were one of the 20 people who watched "The Tomorrow People" on the CW on its one and only season two years ago, you might recognise her as the tattletale Hillary who was always trying to one-up the character played by Robbie Amell.

I have never heard of her husband Carlos. Apparently after they got married they both legally changed their last name to PenaVega. I can't tell you how much it irritates me that there's no space in there. What's wrong with Carlos Pena Vega and Alexa Pena Vega? I can get over the names both being four letters and rhyming, but for some reason, the lack of a space and the capitalisation of the V irritate me.

Pena is his last name. Vega is her last name. They each took the others name. Much like if a woman hyphenates her name Mrs. Smith-Jones.

Agreed that Tony's reaction was rude, but I can't help wondering why the producers had the cook answer the door instead of Kim. The Meet is *always* choreographed.

What did Tony say?  A storm knocked out my satellite connection for part of the show.  I did catch Paula's underwear comment though.  ugh  

Who is going to go?  Victor, Kim or Paula?  Or crazy upset?  My guess is Victor.  I am a huge fan of his and horse racing but he was not good at all!  

Karina said that Victor has difficulty with the choreography because of short term memory impairment from fall injuries to the head so keeping him on the show will not put him in a favorable light.

That said, he is more tolerable and sympathetic than Paula, Gary, Kim.

Buckle up DWTS devotees, it is going to be bumpy ride until the dregs are mercifully eliminated from the show.

• Love 1
Buckle up DWTS devotees, it is going to be bumpy ride until the dregs are mercifully eliminated from the show.

It will be a while and much fast -forward from me. As for Keo, maybe he doesn't use the right terminology to his celebs? and says instead, put your foot here, then turn and down and up, then stop. *joke*. Keo is sooo forgettable for me even though he's a fellow African.

Carrie Ann called Keo out a bit in her blog

Chaka Kahn thrilled us with her incredible entrance. But when she landed in the ballroom, she wasn’t centered in her Cha Cha. And sadly, didn’t give us a great performance. I think Keo Motsepe has his work cut out for him. He needs to really focus on Chaka’s performance, less on his own performance and give her more support so she can shine like the star she is. I believe the best pros are the most selfless. They are able to tone down their dancing or dance in a way that will make their partner shine. It’s not just about steps and choreography, it’s also about strategy. This is a contest and the pros that do well, have strategy. I’m looking forward to seeing what they give us next week. It was hard to see her potential from this dance. But I know she’s a legend for a reason, and I hope Keo can find a way to frame her as the star she is.

I think Keo hasn't done enough teaching, and hasn't grasped the difference between teaching a new person and showing them off to their best potential, and being the dance star himself. I noticed he choreographed plenty of flashy moves for his own entrance, and left Chaka a little lost off by herself. He needs to learn how to dance down, and maybe spend some time leading workshops with new dancers, because it doesn't seem like his partners are getting it, and after three, I'm beginning to think the fault isn't all with them. 

Also from Carrie Ann, shaaaade: 

Nick Carter probably puts a lot of pressure on himself. He was a huge star.

Ouch, on the past tense. ;P

• Love 4

Luckily, two people are being eliminated by the end of week 2, and I don't expect a "shocking" boot quite yet. My guess is Kim & Victor will be the first two gone. Paula and Chaka will be the remaining low hanging fruit, and my week 3 & 4 elimination predictions. Unfortunately, in the case of Gary, I think he'll outlast some of the more deserving contestants.

Edited by Mbeaker
  • Love 2

Tracy the chef was smiling when she answered the door IIRC. 

Anyway, I'm trying to get to know half these people.

I feel bad for Gary. Ive read that he sustained  brain damage in the cycle accident. I believe it.

Carlos seems really good... whoever he is.

Unfortunately, in the case of Gary, I think he'll outlast some of the more deserving contestants.

I fear people will vote for him for the "entertainment" factor, just to see what kind of crazy stuff he'll say and do each week.

Tracy the chef was smiling when she answered the door IIRC.

I know it was all staged but the extended clips they showed last night did not do Kim any favors in my eyes. She looked like a spoiled diva. "TRACYYYYYYY! DOOOOOOR!" She wasn't even doing anything but sitting on the couch. Get off your ass and answer your own door, lady.

• Love 4

I believe the best pros are the most selfless. They are able to tone down their dancing or dance in a way that will make their partner shine.

Too bad neither Derek nor Mark pay attention to what Carrie Ann writes, and Carrie Ann never criticizes either of them for being showboats with THEIR partners. 

• Love 4

Flip the script here and say Len or Bruno had mentioned last season how if they were 30 years younger they'd be dating Willow and the reaction would have been a lot different.

I agree there's a double standard but that's kind of my point, there didn't used to be. An older man looking at a younger woman and saying "Oh, if only I were 20 years younger" didn't used to evoke such shocked, pearl-clutching responses, like it does now in our more politically correct world. That's why I didn't really think there was anything wrong with what Carrie Ann said, nor would I think so if it were Bruno saying it about a teen girl, so long as he said the exact same thing, not something lurid or suggestive.

• Love 1

Too bad neither Derek nor Mark pay attention to what Carrie Ann writes, and Carrie Ann never criticizes either of them for being showboats with THEIR partners. 

While it's true that various pros throughout the years have been guilty of overshadowing/outdancing partners (though I dispute that any single long-time pro does it all the time or even the majority of the time. No, not even Mark in his very worst periods.), I think a combination of two things makes Keo's case worse: He's drawing constant attention to himself in dancing and choreography and his partners look lost and like they haven't properly understood what they should be doing. IMO that second part is where you see that he struggles as a teacher. Derek, Mark, Peta, Maks, or whoever else you want to accuse of outdancing partners occasionally, their partners also usually know their choreo, they have learned technique (even the ones like Bristol Palin, Tommy Chong, Kristie Alley, Joanna Krupa). This is a more fundamental problem than what Carrie Ann is talking about, but perhaps she was reluctant to lay into Keo that hard in a public forum like a blog.

Edited by katha
  • Love 1

Mark used to bug me for always dancing over his partners, but the last two seasons I think he's really changed.

I hope Keo gets the message from Carrie Ann (that was -a lot- of shade cast his way there, imo). But I've always felt he danced with only himself in mind, even on the tour, so I find him annoying anyway. Wish someone else could have had Chaka, and he would have gotten Paula or Kim.

• Love 2

I agree there's a double standard but that's kind of my point, there didn't used to be. An older man looking at a younger woman and saying "Oh, if only I were 20 years younger" didn't used to evoke such shocked, pearl-clutching responses, like it does now in our more politically correct world. That's why I didn't really think there was anything wrong with what Carrie Ann said, nor would I think so if it were Bruno saying it about a teen girl, so long as he said the exact same thing, not something lurid or suggestive.

Bruno would never say it about a teenage girl, though.  He doesn't bat for that team.

Aleck and Bindi were my favorites of the night and got most of my votes. Nick was  good,too. Can't argue too much with the judges' rankings. If they are going to pimp someone outrageously this season, they must not have received their orders yet. Kim was truly dreadful. Surely she will be one of the eliminated next week. As for the other, its a tough call between Chaka, Victor, Gary & Paula. All look like cannon fodder to me. 

Mark used to bug me for always dancing over his partners, but the last two seasons I think he's really changed.

I hope Keo gets the message from Carrie Ann (that was -a lot- of shade cast his way there, imo). But I've always felt he danced with only himself in mind, even on the tour, so I find him annoying anyway. Wish someone else could have had Chaka, and he would have gotten Paula or Kim.

Yeah, Mark is someone who I think has matured remarkably over the past few years, especially in regards to his dancing and how he dances with his partners.  It could be because he had a few trickier celebs to work with, but even looking at how he danced with Chelsea Kane vs how he dances with his partners now, you can see the difference.  I think after his season with Bristol, he was a little humbled and started being a better partner.  

It also pains me to agree with anything Carrie Ann said, but she is correct about Keo.  And that's where you can really tell the difference between some of the pros on the show; the ones that do better are usually the ones who are the stronger teachers (not always, but for the most part).  Dancing well is one skill for being a pro, but being a good teacher is the other piece of the puzzle, and some of the pros have it and some don't.  That's why I think Andy could end up as a surprise early boot somewhere along the line; Allison is just not going to be able to teach him any ballroom technique.

• Love 2

It's maybe worth mentioning that Keo is 25, I believe, and when the likes of Mark and Derek were outdancing their partners, they were in their early 20s as well. It's not an excuse, but he may just need to mature, as both of them have matured a lot. In Bindi's dance you can see Derek matching his movements to hers (and there was a clip from his rehearsals with Nastia where he quite literally said to her, "Wait, show me how you did that again, because I'll just match you.") As much of a trainwreck as Kim's dance was, you could see Tony doing this with her as well. I dislike Tony's choreography, but I know Tony's been teaching for years, and Mark and Derek got a lot better at it over the years (through experience on the show, and running workshops for old ladies in Boca for Shirley probably helps.) It may be something you just have to practice, and I'm not sure that Keo has. 

• Love 2

I don't think it's the age, I think it's the experience as you referenced. Like these people could have been 18 or 20 but if they'd been used to teaching people, they could handle it. Derek admitted in his book that when he got cast on DWTS he had no experience teaching as well as never really doing choreography. And in those days it was mostly just trial and error for him. So basically I just think it comes down to if one isn't really experienced in teaching people it could be difficult. It's like the old expression that just because you know something doesn't mean you can successfully explain it to someone else. 

• Love 3

Also, to be fair, DWTS is such a weird, pressure cooker format that even people with experience teaching ballroom dancing in studios haven't always panned out as pros. You not only have to teach the celebs to dance, you also have to somehow help them cope with the crazy show environment, the live shows, the mind games etc. And especially when you have young, inexperienced pros you don't know what qualities they will bring to the table when you hire them.

• Love 2

Also, to be fair, DWTS is such a weird, pressure cooker format that even people with experience teaching ballroom dancing in studios haven't always panned out as pros. You not only have to teach the celebs to dance, you also have to somehow help them cope with the crazy show environment, the live shows, the mind games etc. And especially when you have young, inexperienced pros you don't know what qualities they will bring to the table when you hire them.

Very true.  I remember that Anna (who had a reputation for being the "drill sergeant of DWTS" for a reason) even once admitted that she was much harder on Jerry Rice than she needed to be in part because it was her first season and she didn't quite understand the nature of the show and the competition.  That's why I think we've seen her mellow over time to the point that she's patient enough now that Gary Busey's difficulties aren't going to throw her the way they might have a few years ago.  And as you say, that adaptability comes with experience.

• Love 2

I feel relatively sure that Kim Z will be first out on Monday. Don't have any strong feel for who is next weakest and likely to go Tuesday. Seems pretty even to me between Chaka, Gary, Paula, & Victor.  Believe all 5 must go before we get a real competition going. Who do you expect it to be?

• Love 1

I actually think many are basing it on Tom's welcoming her to the center seat, right after he sent a shout-out to Len. She was really the only judge he gave a special acknowledgement. Of course part of that was also to congratulate her on the Emmy win, but I definitely think many took it as his not so subtle way of confirming that she's now the new head judge.

I have been watching DWTS since season 2 and I am in the dark about this 'head' judge thing....can anyone explain WTH it means, if anything?  And as someone posted up thread, seems like a slap in the face to Bruno and Carrie Ann that Julianne is the head judge since Bruno and Carrie Ann have been on the show since season 1....I have always thought having Julianne as a judge was a huge conflict of interest as she is judging her own brother....loved Julianne as a dancer, barely tolerate her as a judge....

• Love 2

It was easy to miss it but Tom has said many times throughout the seasons, "our head judge Len Goodman" and the head judge thing became more of a factor when there were ties and stuff like that for the dance-off because it was announced that Len as head judge would be the deciding vote.

As for Julianne, I have the unpopular opinion that her not being a judge from the beginning like Carrie Ann and Bruno does not really count in terms of her ability or qualification to be head judge. In my opinion, the fact that Julianne not only was a championship competitive ballroom dancer but also competed on the show and has the perspective the Pros have, makes her most qualified. She knows the show from both sides. But I acknowledge that I'm in the minority on that.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 8

As for Julianne, I have the unpopular opinion that her not being a judge from the beginning like Carrie Ann and Bruno does not really count in terms of her ability or qualification to be head judge. In my opinion, the fact that Julianne not only was a championship competitive ballroom dancer but also competed on the show and has the perspective the Pros have, makes her most qualified. She knows the show from both sides. But I acknowledge that I'm in the minority on that.

I'm with you. I can't get behind the the idea of CAI or Bruno being the head judge. They both have turned into caricatures of themselves. CAI is the most inconsistent judge. Bruno can be very over the top...and quite frankly some seasons he just wants to flap his arms and say something controversial. I've noticed this season he's actually been constructive (so far). I fell in love with the show because of the straight up ballroom aspect of it...and Julianne knows what she's talking about....much more so than CAI or Bruno.

• Love 4

If they are going to pimp someone outrageously this season, they must not have received their orders yet. 

I think all the fawning over Nick after he performed in the pimp spot and with promise but not remarkably well, would qualify. Julianne and her fake blushing and Bruno standing up to basically say with gyrated emphasis, "If you keep doing that, you'll be here the next week, and the next week, and the next week, and straight through to the finals!" 

Edited by anonymiss

Ok, so Kim was bad ... really bad! But, was she any worse than Busey, who didn't even ATTEMPT to follow the steps he was taught? I think not! The judges seem to want to get rid of her quickly, based on their scoring. I wonder if it's because she's being a diva or something behind the scenes? We'll never know! I predict she will be one of the first ones voted off, if not THE first one! How popular can she be? I think the adorable jockey's days are numbered as well. The public loves a "train wreck", so Busey may be around for a while, but I hope not ...

IMO, the competition is between the Latin couple, Nick Carter, the young guy, the hero and BINDI!!! LOVE BINDI!! That kid just lights up the room with her personality and enthusiasm! She is truly her father's daughter! <tears> Anyone else notice her mother looking very pained and worried in the audience? Your kid is doing great, Terri! Lighten up!

Edited to correct Bindi's mom's name from Debbie to Terri! My bad.

Edited by ChattyCathyLA
  • Love 1

As terrible as Gary was, he is trying to entertain the audience.

Kim froze up and could barely move one left foot in front of the other left foot.

Poor Louis was being compressed by Paula like a boa constrictor/bear.

Victor gives it all he can remember with a nice smile on his face, at least he is having fun.

The rest of the group has a couple of weeks to get better, shake off the nerves,  adapt to the fast turn over of dances to learn and improve their technique and performance on live TV.

Remember just a few seasons ago when the premier show just knocked us all out and the majority of stars looked like they were in serious contention?

What the hell happened?

Makes me sad.

I'm with you too, truthaboutluv. I can just barely tolerate having CAI and Bruno, two unqualified judges of Ballroom and Latin dance, on the panel. But giving one of the the head judge position? Just, no. I don't care about any sense of seniority because they've been there the longest. The head judge is supposed to hold some Ballroom gravitas. Neither Bruno nor CAI have trained or competed in the main styles they are asked to judge on this show. Not only has Julianne done so, but she has actually won dancesport competitions. That makes her a heck of a lot more deserving than the other two, IMO.

• Love 3

Ok, so Kim was bad ... really bad! But, was she any worse than Busey, who didn't even ATTEMPT to follow the steps he was taught? I think not! The judges seem to want to get rid of her quickly, based on their scoring. I wonder if it's because she's being a diva or something behind the scenes? We'll never know! I predict she will be one of the first ones voted off, if not THE first one! How popular can she be? I think the adorable jockey's days are numbered as well. The public loves a "train wreck", so Busey may be around for a while, but I hope not ...

IMO, the competition is between the Latin couple, Nick Carter, the young guy, the hero and BINDI!!! LOVE BINDI!! That kid just lights up the room with her personality and enthusiasm! She is truly her father's daughter! <tears> Anyone else notice her mother looking very pained and worried in the audience? Your kid is doing great, Debbie! Lighten up!

Bindi's Mom is named Terri, not Debbie.

• Love 1

I'm with you too, truthaboutluv. I can just barely tolerate having CAI and Bruno, two unqualified judges of Ballroom and Latin dance, on the panel. But giving one of the the head judge position? Just, no. I don't care about any sense of seniority because they've been there the longest. The head judge is supposed to hold some Ballroom gravitas. Neither Bruno nor CAI have trained or competed in the main styles they are asked to judge on this show. Not only has Julianne done so, but she has actually won dancesport competitions. That makes her a heck of a lot more deserving than the other two, IMO.

I also agree with you and truthaboutluv.

I'm in the minority that Bindi's personality gets on my nerves.  Her dancing was great and very energetic like her personality.  But I'm old and I can only stand so much liveliness.  However, I'll take that vs. Paula's crass remarks.  I also didn't get everything that Tamara was saying and what's worse, she rubbed off on Val.  I started not understanding him when he was talking to Erin.  They did a great quickstep though.

The couple was great but they need to tone it down.  Witney and Mark looked uncomfortable like they didn't know what to do.  I don't know what to think about Gary.  Anna is doing a great job with him and he seems to appreciate it.  I hope he doesn't explode on her.  Alek is like a breath of fresh air among a bunch of crazies.

Edited by realdancemom

So I figured out one of the things that annoys me the most...

I was really happy with the lower scores overall. They should be low for a first show.  It gives room to grow.

Consequently, I hate the effing audience- stop booing, you bastards know when you see a 5, let it play out.

• Love 6

He likes attention. He's been on Celebrity Apprentice, Big Brother UK, celeb wife swap. What you saw on DWTS was exactly the way he is. I'm sure in his mind he's brilliant and amazing.

I'm sure he does like the attention but all these shows pay money. I'm sure he needs that too. With his head injury what other jobs could he get?

Bruno would never say it about a teenage girl, though.  He doesn't bat for that team.

Interesting point, I hadn't thought of that. I makes me wonder what the response would be if it had been he who made the comment to this teenage boy?

Edited by Glaadrial

I don't follow American celebrity-ness apart from DWTS, so I just have this vague idea what crime Paula Deen has committed.  Also, just acknowledging here that this subject isn't easy to talk about sensitively. Wasn't it kinda horrible/awkward/manipulative that the show immediately panned to and focussed on a dark-skinned guy clapping after her routine?  As someone who had to look it up to get the vaguest idea of who the hell Paula Deen is and wth she has done, I may be missing some element of what happened.  I didn't recognize the guy and thought he was just a "lucky" audience member whom they picked for the rehabiliation narrative.

Also, I just found her underwear comment to be absolutely crass.

• Love 2

I don't notice who the camera focuses on after dances.  I'll only notice if it was a star that was a previous DWTS contestant.  However, I do agree that Paula's underwear comment was crass as well as her comment after burping that it's better than if it came out of her other orifaces.  Yuck!!

• Love 2

Only just saw this shitshow.

My impressions:

• If they can't even get Busey to do an opening number (and need to resort to that super-lame video screen bit), how's he going to get through an actual solo number?
  • WHO are these people?  I think I've heard of four of them (one a racist piece of shit, another an Australian child, a cracked up  nutty old movie star, and Chaka Kahn).  This really counts as the worst cast ever.
  • Len in trade for Julianna?  Worst. Trade. Ever.
  • Calling a grown man "adorable" and "tiny" just because he's a jockey?  Smooth, Carrie Ann. Smooth.  And show. Standing the guy on a box for the interview? Ha ha.
  • Commercial Break: Ashton Kutcher on Shark Tank?  WHY?
  • I'm assuming this Tamar person is related to Toni. But I still don't know why I'm supposed to care that she exists. Or to paraphase the woman herself, why I should.. er... got time for her.
  • Chaka Kahn. Chaka Kahn. ChhakakakakakaKahhhhhn.  Okay, that's all I got (and arguably all she's got too).
  • A Viner? Good lord.
  • I was tempted to Fast Forward over Paula Deen, but watched. Ick.  I'm assuming we also ALL noticed the demoniacally inspired directorial decision by the show to cut from Paula dancing to a person of color applauding for her. Whoever in the control room called for that shot should be fired (unless Disney MADE him do it--possibly as one of Deen's conditions for coming on). And then the "it probably ain't white anymore" comment. Being about underwear was bad enough, but you could hear the pause where Bergeron contemplated what ELSE that sounded like. Hopefully her annoying jabbering turned the REST of America against her.  If we're lucky this bitch will be gone come Monday (when nobody votes for her). 
  • I vaguely know that girl from Spy Kids. So maybe that's 5 people I know in the cast. Has she worked in the past decade? (edit - to my shock, apparently she has...) At least Witney being back as a dancer is good news (with Spy Kids girl's unknown to me husband).  And this PenaVega stuff?  I get it, but... can't help wincing at it anyway.
  • I haven't seen anything with Bindi in years, but she certainly turned out cute. But she needs to stop with the third person stuff NOW. ASAP. And the benefits of youth?  She's already a damn good dancer. It's an odd way for Derek to get his usual ringer, since she's no dancer, but she seems to be in amazing shape. I wonder if she was every asked to be on the Oz version of this show (and just held out for the one with more global appeal).
  • Busey.  What can I say about Busey that probably hasn't already been said? Er.. he's a human being? Who's alive? Sort of. He's going to suck everytime, but get cheers and home votes? And stuff will come out of his mouth at every point that makes no sense.
  • I suppose I ought to have recognized the Backstreet Boy.  But I didn't. And am not ashamed of that.  All I got out of that routine is a reminder that Sharna is an utterly amazing dancer (when in fact we're supposed to be noticing the celeb more than the pros in these routines).
  • Why do they let Erin speak? A few seasons in and she's no better.
Edited by Kromm

* Tamar, Bindi, the marrieds, Nick and Hero were all great.

* Kim was not so bad

* Keo is "fetch" and Chaka deserved Artem or Tony.

* Derek needs to stay out of other teams shots. I see major pimping of him coming this year.

• Love 1

* Derek needs to stay out of other teams shots. I see major pimping of him coming this year.

Agree with this, and his partner needs to let other people talk.  It sounded to me as if someone was shushing Bindi when she started to take over another team's interview. 

Agree with this, and his partner needs to let other people talk.  It sounded to me as if someone was shushing Bindi when she started to take over another team's interview. 

I wonder if Derek taught Bindi that thing where she used third person and identified herself by name in the interview.

Hey, it could have happened that way!  Any expression of excessive ego even vaguely in this vicinity of Derek Hough, and of COURSE I'm going to suspect him.

• Love 1

Pro I feel sorriest for.... "Tony with Kim?" Almost, and I hated to hear Erin kissing up to her. Ick...."Louis with Paula?" Yes, her, too, still so vulgar still thinking it's cute. ... "Anna with Busey?"  Okay, that's the one.  Not only does he have brain damage (and I think I had read something independent of that re: drug use) and his babbling would drive -me- crazy, but I get a definite "lech" vibe from him that would make dancing with him very unpleasant. 

Oh, and I hope Kim goes first. Really hated her using the excuse for her lousy dancing that "I'd be better with my husband." Anyway, I can't stand her, all the extensive cosmetic changes didn't help at all.

The contestant I feel sorriest for (not Chaka although I think Keo's an egotist and very poor teacher)... it's the jockey. Apparently the show is committed to "little people jokes" (so hilarious). Would they do the same for someone fat?  I thought it was -beyond- rude to make him stand on a box so that he was taller than Erin and then humiliate him with the added "joke" of "Well, this is television so let's see how stupid you look standing on that box." It was very offensive. I was surprised that Erin was so on board for it--I thought she had more sense than that.

• Love 6

I think Victor and possibly Kim are going to go this week. If Kim's fan base keeps her in then I think Chaka is probably going to be the other one who will possibly get the boot if not this week then next.

If it weren't for Emma being his pro partner I actually wouldn't mind too terribly if Hayes were to be eliminated fairly early on. I'm not sure why people think he has stage presence and charisma. He doesn't. He did manage to execute the steps but executing is a far cry from actually dancing. I felt like he was listening to Emma counting the beats out and he wasn't actually listening to the music. With his fan base I don't really expect him to go until closer to the mid-point. He'll probably stay in as long as Cody Simpson stayed in the competition during his season.

I'm surprised they paired Chaka Khan with Keo -- isn't she really petite, while he's close to 6'? (Do people call her 'Chaka'? They must, right? It just seems so...bare.)

I thought Hayes was charming and came across better than your average 15 yo. They vet their social media stars well -- Bethany was also really mature for her age.

Oh, and I hope Kim goes first. Really hated her using the excuse for her lousy dancing that "I'd be better with my husband." Anyway, I can't stand her, all the extensive cosmetic changes didn't help at all.

This excuse annoys me to no end.  Have you not watched the show?  Why did you agree to do the show in the first place.  I would hope that the "celebrities" asked have an inkling what the show is about and have watched some of the routines.  This ranks up there with "I'm so busy please feel sorry for me when I can't find the time to practice or get my routine down". 

I have to admire the ladies who end up dancing with people like Gary Busey and smile and pretend everything is good.  Best performances ever in some cases.

• Love 1

The contestant I feel sorriest for (not Chaka although I think Keo's an egotist and very poor teacher)... it's the jockey. Apparently the show is committed to "little people jokes" (so hilarious). Would they do the same for someone fat?  I thought it was -beyond- rude to make him stand on a box so that he was taller than Erin and then humiliate him with the added "joke" of "Well, this is television so let's see how stupid you look standing on that box." It was very offensive. I was surprised that Erin was so on board for it--I thought she had more sense than that.

Yeah, that was rude. I hate it when they blatantly pick on people, like they did with Chaz Bono. Didn't Bruno call him a dancing bear or something to that effect? I get they are trying to go for comedy with Victor and Karina, but enough already. They always have a target every season, and Victor seems to be it this time.

• Love 1